• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not light or dark, are we heading towards something more in the middle?
bendu.png

He would be amazing in live action

NightOnyx

Very short but a good first teaser. Lots of really cool and interesting stuff in it. It looks like we will finally see more of the Knights of Ren which is exciting! Rey's training is going to be great as well. I can't wait to see more! The wait for Christmas is going to be so hard!

On the one hand, that trailer was pretty damned cool, though I do have two major concerns:
1) The fleet battle we see feels very much like it's going to have the New Republic/Resistance getting curbstomped (hence the hangar scene), especially since this is likely going to be an ESB parallel.
2) Luke's last line. Yes, it's pretty damned epic and invites a lot of questions, but it also lends further credence to concerns that his entire character arc through the original trilogy is about to get tossed out the window. Whether he's right - because he's Luke fucking Skywalker - or wrong - because ultimately this is going to be Rey's arc, and I don't quite expect Star Wars to abandon the idea of a moral good - if the premise of this film requires that the culmination of Luke's story be either for nothing or to have extended an ages old problem feels... Uncomfortable.

Tsunamo

The whole middle thing also seems to be partly what the posters showing. Rey being in the middle of Luke and Kylo.
Not light or dark, are we heading towards something more in the middle?
bendu.png
That would be amazing. I feel like he'd fit in pretty well with the sequel trilogy too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes - put my thoughts into words!

I love the idea of a morally good force user with the "power" that dark side force users have. There's no denying the legit power behind dark side force. The emperor was no fucking joke. So I imagine Luke knows this and sees the value in it.

zeemumu

I love the idea of a morally good force user with the "power" that dark side force users have. There's no denying the legit power behind dark side force. The emperor was no fucking joke. So I imagine Luke knows this and sees the value in it.

So we're basically getting a better done Starkiller-type.

SpaceWolf

Banned
In the first shot of the trailer, Rey looks like she's reacting to having just experienced a vision inside the cave behind her, similar to the cave Luke went into on Dagobah.

Real Hero

That sounds like a terrible direction to take Luke Skywalker. Undoes his entire arc

They won't undo Luke's arc, they are giving him a story where he can be redeemed. He is an absolute failure at this point, probably bitter and a bit angry. But he is still the best hope for good in the galaxy.

I wonder if the Knights of Ren and what looks like a burning temple with Luke looking on is a flashback.

DieH@rd

Banned
That sounds like a terrible direction to take Luke Skywalker. Undoes his entire arc

That scene where a hooded person falls to his knees in front of a burning building, that's Luke. Obviously something very bad happened with the Knights of Ren in the past.

As much as there's been a load of prequel love, I think this is an attempt to wipe large aspects of it away from the story going forward.
Ending the Jedi means ending the sterile, dusty prequel Jedi order and having exciting, relatable characters again

My interpretation of it is that Luke's acknowledging the outdated flaw in the old Jedi Order. The whole forbidden love angle between Anakin and Padme came off as really cliche and corny to viewers. I think had Lucas tried to incorporate the idea that it was a fundamental flaw within the story it could have been better received. Anakin and Padme could have been made more sympathetic figures caught up in the old, outdated establishment structures.

I like that they look like they're trying to establish the notion of other force wielding factions other than the Jedi and Sith.

It's amazing how much I've changed my opinion on Kylo's lightsaber. I thought it looked dumb way back in the first reveal, now just looking at that gif, I just think 'man, that's fucking awesome looking.'

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That scene where a hooded person falls to his knees in front of a burning building, that's Luke. Obviously something very bad happened with the Knights of Ren in the past.

Yup. I think Luke realized the true power at play. There is a lot we don't know and things can happen to change someone. He lost a LOT and probably has a bit of bitter vengeance in him. Who really knows, though.

Davide

Luke's last line. Yes, it's pretty damned epic and invites a lot of questions, but it also lends further credence to concerns that his entire character arc through the original trilogy is about to get tossed out the window. Whether he's right - because he's Luke fucking Skywalker - or wrong - because ultimately this is going to be Rey's arc, and I don't quite expect Star Wars to abandon the idea of a moral good - if the premise of this film requires that the culmination of Luke's story be either for nothing or to have extended an ages old problem feels... Uncomfortable.
Yeah I agree with this. Kind of. Except that Luke wasn't already following the most dogmatic Jedi teachings.

Elandyll

Banned
They won't undo Luke's arc, they are giving him a story where he can be redeemed. He is an absolute failure at this point, probably bitter and a bit angry. But he is still the best hope for good in the galaxy.

I wonder if the Knights of Ren and what looks like a burning temple with Luke looking on is a flashback.
Absolute failure?

Wtf are you talking about?

He is still the guy who shot down the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and in this also defeated the emperor, giving the galaxy a shot at peace.

As far as the universe is concerned he is a living legend.

The subsequent failings (politically) have been others'.

His actual failings have been much more personal, as he failed his sister and best friend, his students and particularly his nephew.

And in a way I suspect it hurts him that much more after succeeding at redeeming his father.

Slythe

The Jedi Order fell for a reason. They were so married to their code and purging emotion that they became arrogant to a certain extent, and they fell on that arrogance. This is personified to a great degree in the character of Mace Windu. He doesn't expect Anakin to strike him down in favor of Palpatine. Despite being allies with Anakin, he doesn;t know him in any meaningful way. The entire Jedi Order come off as emotionless, detached monks. I believe Yoda and Obi Wan show much more personality in the OT because they've had enough time in exile to learn how to feel again.

Luke never was good at the whole purging emotion way of doing things. Emotion drives his every move throughout the entire OT. He is proof that a third, gray way of following the force is possible. I completely expect that we will learn that upon starting his own temple he tried to adopt outdated Jedi philosophies about purging emotion, and this probably ultimately led to Kylo's betrayal. Kylo is a super emotional dude, and if Luke was half heatedly teaching the Jedi Code because he felt obligated to then it's the perfect recipe for disaster. Luke is probably a bitter old man who feels exceedingly isolated, and clearly holds animosity towards the restrictive nature of the Jedi Code. I can't wait to see how his gray way of seeing the force will influence Rey.

Star Wars is going post-modern, and I am all for it.

Nodnol

Obi-Wan himself that he was the last of the old Jedi, and that Luke was the first of the new.

With Bendu's introduction to the new canon, I think a few of us theorized that maybe Luke was going to be pursuing a true balance.

Hell, even in the end of RotJ, there's enough symbolism in Luke to highlight the whole "light AND dark" thing, rather than "light vs dark".

So Luke's final words of that trailer don't come as a massive suprise. The old Jedi Order was a damn unhealthy practice, so here's to moving toward with balanced Force-users.

Other than that, whilst the trailer isn't as "epic" as TFA or even the Rogue One trailer, it's a great looking trailer. The ride till December starts now!

Boke1879

Yeah I agree with this.

I don't see why it's uncomfortable. Luke doesn't know everything. He only succeeded in saving his father and helping overthrow the emporer. Hell Yoda and other Jedi masters never really understood the true nature of the force.

Don't see how this undoes his accomplishments. It just means what we thought we knew about the force wasn't shit.

CS_Dan

I like that they look like they're trying to establish the notion of other force wielding factions other than the Jedi and Sith.

Yep, it fits perfectly with what they've been doing in Clone Wars (Night Sisters), Rebels (Bendu) and Rogue One (various churches like the Whills)

I don't see why it's uncomfortable. Luke doesn't know everything. He only succeeded in saving his father and helping overthrow the emporer. Hell Yoda and other Jedi masters never really understood the true nature of the force.

Don't see how this undoes his accomplishments. It just means what we thought we knew about the force wasn't shit.

I'm floating more towards this point of view.

Luke's story culminating in ROTJ doesn't mean that he's some immovable monolith unable to be further characterized at risk of undermining the thematic importance of what happened before. The context just changes, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom