• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the teaser poster sure looks like Balance to the force.

Ohh boy.. I am excited

But Anakin did balance the force in a very classical, albeit puckish sense. He ended the Sith, but only after wiping out the Jedi Order.

The analogy reminds me the ancient conquering king who solicits the advice of a mystic. The mystic tells the king that if he launches an attack on a faraway rival land a great kingdom will fall. So he sends off his army and lo and behold it ends up being his kingdom that falls.

I guess the best takeaway from this is that Lucasfilm is that the chosen one trope is ambiguous enough to encompass both Vader and Luke.

ghostmind

MvwUT6c.jpg

"First comes the day
Then comes the night.
After the darkness
Shines through the light.
The difference, they say,
Is only made right
By the resolving of gray
Through refined Jedi sight."

Absolute failure?

Wtf are you talking about?

He is still the guy who shot down the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and in this also defeated the emperor, giving the galaxy a shot at peace.

As far as the universe is concerned he is a living legend.

The subsequent failings (politically) have been others'.

His actual failings have been much more personal, as he failed his sister and best friend, his students and particularly his nephew.

And in a way I suspect it hurts him that much more after succeeding at redeeming his father.

More of a Jedi teacher for future generations. The entire school was destroyed, everyone was killed, his nephew is the reason why and he murdered his best friend who was his father and now he is leading a force to take over the galaxy. Not much of any good there, it's all bad.

Boem

People are already talking how Last Jedi destroys Luke's character arc based on a minute and a half of footage?

Jeez. I guess my predictions from earlier are already coming true.

Rafy

Yes - put my thoughts into words!

I love the idea of a morally good force user with the "power" that dark side force users have. There's no denying the legit power behind dark side force. The emperor was no fucking joke. So I imagine Luke knows this and sees the value in it.

Qui-Gon was that kind of Jedi from what I've read. He was very combative with the council, which you can see in The Phantom Menace. He had much more of an open mind when it came to the force, and that is why even Yoda sought to learn from him to expand his powers. According to some material (which I am not sure if it's still canon) he could actually use force lighting, among other techniques that light force users refused to use.

Metalmarc

I liked this Trailer the first time straight away, i had a better reaction to it, compared to Episode 7's first ever trailer (trailer two with Han tho, that was My favourite)

Blader

I don't see how "the Jedi must end" ruins Luke's arc at all. He was never a traditional Jedi and was always straddling the line between the light and dark sides - right down to his wardrobe!

Trying to find balance in the Force that ends both the Jedi and (I presume) Sith orders, and striking a middle ground, seems like an evolution of his arc to me. And one that was likely inspired by his failure to raise a new Jedi academy: every time a new Jedi or Sith emerges, the other one strikes them down, rinse and repeat for generations. If the Jedi and Sith are always fated to kill each other, constantly shifting the Force from overly dark to overly light at any given time, then balancing the Force would mean no Sith AND no Jedi.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Qui-Gon was that kind of Jedi from what I've read. He was very combative with the council, which you can see in The Phantom Menace. We had much more of an open mind when it came to the force, and that is why even Yoda sought to learn from him to expand his powers. According to some material (which I am not sure if it's still canon) he could actually use force lighting, among other techniques that light force users refused to use.

Now that you mention it, Qui-Gon does stand out to me. Very good points.

E: I can just picture Luke saying, "The force is not light or dark."

Prompto

Banned
I don't see how "the Jedi must end" ruins Luke's arc at all. He was never a traditional Jedi and was always straddling the line between the light and dark sides - right down to his wardrobe!

Trying to find balance in the Force that ends both the Jedi and (I presume) Sith orders, and striking a middle ground, seems like an evolution of his arc to me. And one would likely inspired by his failure to raise a new Jedi academy: every time a new Jedi or Sith emerges, the other one strikes them down, rinse and repeat for generations. If the Jedi and Sith are always fated to kill each other, constantly shifting the Force from overly dark to overly light at any given time, then balancing the Force would mean no Sith AND no Jedi.
Well said

Seigyoku

Genuinely disappointed you guys only made 18 pages during panel. I need a shower (again) and to get out PJS. Oh course. We are locked out of our room.

Boem

So what about Mark Hamill saying "my dau...colleague" during the panel?

Joke, or Jiang Wen moment?

I'm going with prepared joke

TheXbox

Can't see them going through with the outright abolition of the Jedi. I think Luke is jaded and Rey is going to temper him a bit. There's a middle ground between keeping the Jedi exactly as they were and doing away with them altogether. Rey is the reformer.

mjc

Trying to find balance in the Force that ends both the Jedi and (I presume) Sith orders, and striking a middle ground, seems like an evolution of his arc to me. And one would likely inspired by his failure to raise a new Jedi academy: every time a new Jedi or Sith emerges, the other one strikes them down, rinse and repeat for generations. If the Jedi and Sith are always fated to kill each other, constantly shifting the Force from overly dark to overly light at any given time, then balancing the Force would mean no Sith AND no Jedi.

This certainly makes more sense than him founding a new Jedi Order like he did in the EU books.

zeemumu

People are already talking how Last Jedi destroys Luke's character arc based on a minute and a half of footage?

Jeez. I guess my predictions from earlier are already coming true.

What about that destroys his character arc, exactly? What I got from that is Luke's character is progressing and finally learning that the light and dark sides of the force have nothing to do with your morality.

dcelw540

So could there be anymore surprises this weekend? Such as announcing upcoming star wars films or show a bit of the Han solo movie?

Qui-Gon was that kind of Jedi from what I've read. He was very combative with the council, which you can see in The Phantom Menace. We had much more of an open mind when it came to the force, and that is why even Yoda sought to learn from him to expand his powers. According to some material (which I am not sure if it's still canon) he could actually use force lighting, among other techniques that light force users refused to use.

Qui Gon Jinn was written as the progressive voice in the Jedi Order. In layman's terms, he'd be the catholic priest who would advocate for things like marriage equality and the relaxation of catholic church policy that mandates that priests be celibate.

I feel that the Jedi Order, as written and established in the prequels, would have thumbed their nose at the idea of taking someone like Luke Skywalker in. And despite having both Obi Wan and Yoda -- iconic, pop culture paragons of virtue among its very ranks, it was a very closed off, detached institution.

I hope that what Rian and Kennedy are trying to do is present Luke as a more modern, realistic rendition of the Jedi, much in the way that Bruce Lee was a more accessible, innovative martial artist in that he was willing to train non Asian students.

Rafy

The thing with balancing something is that, there always needs to be a counterweight. As long as the Jedi exist so will the Sith, that is what Luke probably came to understand after visiting all the old temples in his travels.

I think we might be in for a race to Tython, between the first order and resistance.

We have already seen/heard of the Bendu (balance), what if instead of teaching Rey of the Jedi way he actually goes back to the ways of the Je'daii, also introducing the Ashla (light) and the Bogan (Dark)?

Boem

What about that destroys his character arc, exactly? What I got from that is Luke's character is progressing and finally learning that the light and dark sides of the force have nothing to do with your morality.

I agree with you, that's why I was surprised that people immediately went to that.

Man I'm exhausted. Been yelled at way too many times today.

But that trailer was sooooooo cool! Well I'm off shift now so I'm gonna see if I can buy something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For being a volunteer in the convention. I mean the guests had to take out their anger somewhere. It's cool though. This was a terribly planned event. The black shirts are blaming it on the Disney black shirts.
If you are working there and are coming across on the stars, are you allowed to shake hands and ask for a selfie or would this get you into trouble?

SpaceWolf

Banned
All right, that's the Last of the Jedi trailer done with.

Back to obsessing about an incredibly unlikely Obi-Wan spin-off announcement.

Well them and B-Wings were introduced just before the Battle of Yavin, It'd be no surprise if they were still in use then (maybe modified with new technology like X-Wings)

Y-Wings are probably long-gone from service though.

Wait, B and A Wings didn't even exist on paper until Return of the Jedi. When did they begin establishing that they existed before the first film? And has this reformation of chronology done for the purpose of making the X Wing Fighters more contemporary within the Star Wars canon?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wait, B and A Wings didn't even exist on paper until Return of the Jedi. When did they begin establishing that they existed before the first film? And has this reformation of chronology done for the purpose of making the X Wing Fighters more contemporary within the Star Wars canon?
Watch Star Wars: Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom