• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to isolate the background whispers of dialogue from when Rey is speaking in the trailer? There's something there, but I can't hear it.

Holy shit the voices!!!! Obiwan saying he's been seduced by the dark side. Leias message of course. Can't figure out the one with the book, maybe yoda.

I thought I was posting in the Teaser thread. Sigh.

Is it really hard for people to see how weird it is that just 2 movies ago Luke very proudly and defiantly proclaimed, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." And now he is saying "It's time for the Jedi to end."

Obviously there will be a reason for it. The movie will probably be all about that. But it's a strange and intriguing progression to make. And it's clearly the whole point. The big question is why would Luke want that. It's what everyone will be taking about. We know that Luke's school went haywire and he lost his Nephew to the dark side. But we also know that worse has happened in the galaxy and the Jedi and the Light Side prevailed.

The risk here is whatever replaces the Jedi, will it be that different? Will what the Jedi are now basically continue but with a different name, or will they actually be something different?

It seems like a high risk high reward scenario they are creating here. If it isn't done right then it could turn off OT fans. It will change how we view those events. The whole point of the last trilogy was to defeat the Dark Side and see the Jedi restored to prominence, hence Return of the Jedi. What will that struggle mean now if the Jedi must end?

Of course LF has been exploring this question for years and we will soon find out how it's going to be executed.

Grym

Is it really hard for people to see how weird it is that just 2 movies ago Luke very proudly and defiantly proclaimed, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." And now he is saying "It's time for the Jedi to end."

with a span of 30 years of growth, knowledge, and experience in between

Love this shot.
vbtfwmfoi8xpxlehzdzr.gif

See, because of the hilts you can actually get a visual reference for a threatening turn of the blade.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/14/star-wars-rian-johnson-last-jedi-planet/

Rian Johnson reveals name of new planet in Last Jedi trailer

Red.

It's the color scheme of the Last Jedi title. It dominates the sky in the teaser poster. In Star Wars lore, it's traditionally the color of evil. Darth Vader's eyes had a faint red tinge, and his scarlet saber igniting in darkness could strike fear in the hearts of Rebel soldiers — just before striking them dead.

Rian Johnson, director of the new film, employs this part of the spectrum for a specific reason, and we saw it prominently in the trailer, as speeders lined up in formation fly along the surface of a new world, dragging lines that rip up the scorched white surface into blood-colored plumes of ash.

EW has exclusively learned the name of this world is Crait.

”It's way out there. It's uncharted," says Johnson. ”It's a mineral planet and so there are mines on it." The director (previously best known for Brick and Looper) noted how there are some ”beautiful design elements" present on Crait some of which are seen in the trailer. ”I hope some really unique ones that we're able to bring into it," he adds.

According to Johnson, Crait is the site of an ”an old rebel base there that's now abandoned" and the planet was one of the first things he had in mind when planning The Last Jedi.

”It ends up playing a key role in the movie," he says, adding that the Resistance fighters — flying in the skimmers seen in the trailer — ”show up where they have to deal with a very pressing and immediate."

But what is the significance of the red surface that's kicked up by the fighters? Red is the symbol of blood in basic human nature — but blood can stand for violence or family. So?

”Go ahead and run with that," Johnson says.

with a span of 30 years of growth, knowledge, and experience in between

Yes, but we haven't seen any of that yet.

Look, the time gap between 6 & 7 is a problem. There was no hint at the end of 6 that bad times were coming. We start 7 and everything has gone to pot.

That's not natural in anyway. Every previous Star Wars hinted at where the saga was going to go next. 6 didn't because it was assumed to be the end. And rather than start 7 on an even kilter note with things going sour, it just starts out bad. And it's never really explained in that movie. We have hints at things, but not one of them is developed. It's up to 8 (and 9?) to fill in gaps and make sense of the changed galaxy for this trilogy.

Luke has not said a word since the end of Jedi. And they are trying to sell us in this Teaser that he has seen some shit and decided the Jedi order must go.

There is a lot of heavy lifting that has to go on this movie.

-griffy-

Banned
Has anyone been able to isolate the background whispers of dialogue from when Rey is speaking in the trailer? There's something there, but I can't hear it.

"What do you see"

We hear Leia saying "Help me Obi Wan..."

"Light"

then a Vader breath and Obi Wan saying "Seduced by the dark side..."

"Dark"

then I can't make this one out, sounds like maybe Yoda? "_____ you are....the light?"

"The balance"

Grym

I mean I understand what you are saying and agree there is some heavy lifting to explain some things - which I am fairly confident will happen. (What else is a teaser for after all than to raise questions and discussion and hype for an upcoming true trailer and then film that explains things?)

I just don't think it is much of a stretch to be able to readily explain a 50 year old saying the opposite of what the same individual said as a revelation when they were 20 (or whatever the actual ages are.)

Real talk star wars friends, do I change my avatar to reflect the new movie or keep it the same to honor Hohass Ekwesh. It's definitely not christmas anymore though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are they not streaming the Rogue One panel? Should've started 30 minutes ago.

I like Warwick and all but I'd much rather see the Rogue One panel than his one man show.

[edit]
4ZxVQaG.png

Guess that wasn't right since it's saying that would be live and Small Talk with Warwick Davis doesn't show up there.

Par Score

I just don't think it is much of a stretch to be able to readily explain a 50 year old saying the opposite of what the same individual said as a revelation when they were 20 (or whatever the actual ages are.)

It's like people forget Obi Wan/Yoda in the OT vs Obi Wan/Yoda in the prequels.

We've already seen what time and seclusion can do to a Jedi Master.

I mean, we're in a continuity where the original A-Wing was referred to as "ancient" in TFA times. The Y-Wing would be a 60 to 70 year old design at this point.

Yeah, the OT Y-Wings are actually salvaged from the Clone Wars.
But im talking a new "redesigned" Y-Wing like the X-Wing, Unless they switch permanently to a B-Wing variation for the role.

zeemumu

I mean, we're in a continuity where the original A-Wing was referred to as "ancient" in TFA times. The Y-Wing would be a 60 to 70 year old design at this point.

Star Wars has an odd definition of ancient. Roughly 20 years was apparently enough to turn the force into an ancient myth.

Yeah, the OT Y-Wings are actually salvaged from the Clone Wars.
But im talking a new "redesigned" Y-Wing like the X-Wing, Unless they switch permanently to a B-Wing variation for the role.

I'm not sure it's even needed, considering that the X-Wings in TFA practically filled a 'bomber' role for the attack on Starkiller Base.

I mean I understand what you are saying and agree there is some heavy lifting to explain some things - which I am fairly confident will happen. (What else is a teaser for after all than to raise questions and discussion and hype for an upcoming true trailer and then film that explains things?)

If Luke has changed this much in 30 years I want to see why, I don't just want him or someone else to tell me why. Especially when I was led to believe the galaxy was in a good place at the end of Return of the Jedi. I still don't know why everything went so poorly. And that makes it hard to emotionally connect to what's going on here. If I'm supposed to care that Luke wants the Jedi to end, I better see an exceptional justification for that.

The Saga, through all 7 films, has indicated to me the importance of the Jedi and the light side. It has shown that, although the Jedi are imperfect, they need to be there for the good of the galaxy. That the Jedi Order can be changed for the better. By the end of the first 6, we are taught of the importance of family. Luke does the most powerful thing anyone has every done in the Star Wars universe. He redeems Anakin and pulls him back from the Dark Side. He does this because of the love for his father. The Jedi literally took children from their parents to train them. This is a huge reversal of policy from Episode 1. (I also have a lot of thoughts on what the hell family actually means in the Star Wars universe, but that's a slightly different tangent.)

At the start of 7, we learn that the Skywalker family is broken up. Luke, Han, and Leia are all living separate lives, and the latest in the Skywalker line has fallen to the dark side. By the end Han tries to help his son, redeem him with love, but is killed by him instead. It seems like the characters learned nothing or all the wrong lessons since that celebration at the end of Jedi. What exactly went wrong here? What did Luke do so wrong. And why has it led him to believe that the Jedi need to end? And how the hell do we know it will stick? If Jedi's ending is unraveled by the same drama that plagued the Skywalker family through Episodes 1-6, what will be so new and great about this Not-Jedi Order?

I go back to the fact that Luke brought Anakin back from the Dark Side. This is a monumental moment for the Jedi and the Force. It's a huge step forward. It indicates a fundamental rethinking of how to use the Force. But the Jedi aren't ending here, there isn't something new created, it's actually the return of the Jedi. Yet, just 30 years later, it's all gone downhill. And Luke is now calling for a huge shift in what it means to be a force user, so much so that it can't be called Jedi anymore.

Yes 8 will answer these things (hopefully), but it feels like a miscalculation that more hasn't been established at this point. I can only guess there is something else unprecedented going on in the galaxy. In spite of the fact that 7 established everything that happened before in Star Wars is happening again, there must be something far different than what happened in the first 6.

Gravidee

Star Wars has an odd definition of ancient. Roughly 20 years was apparently enough to turn the force into an ancient myth.

That can probably be chalked up as part of the Imperial culture. It was largely made up of non-believers and folks who believed that the Empire was the end all be all of galactic civilization. There were a couple of Rebels episodes that referenced this, like when Tarkin insisted that the Jedi and their culture were gone, and when one of the admirals expressed his distrust of the "mystics" referring to the Empire's use of Inquisitors.

strafer

Are they not streaming the Rogue One panel? Should've started 30 minutes ago.

I like Warwick and all but I'd much rather see the Rogue One panel than his one man show.

[edit]
4ZxVQaG.png

Guess that wasn't right since it's saying that would be live and Small Talk with Warwick Davis doesn't show up there.

For a guy who sucks at timezones, how long until the Mark Hamill tribute to Carrie Fisher?

That can probably be chalked up as part of the Imperial culture. It was largely made up of non-believers and folks who believed that the Empire was the end all be all of galactic civilization. There were a couple of Rebels episodes that referenced this, like when Tarkin insisted that the Jedi and their culture were gone, and when one of the admirals expressed his distrust of the "mystics" referring to the Empire's use of Inquisitors.

Because of how the Rebels opperate (in cells) a lot of them don't have any idea of the Jedi existing beyond the Republic.

Most of the Rebels have no idea about Kanan or Ezra, and a lot of the Rebels had no idea about Luke.

Tookay

If Luke has changed this much in 30 years I want to see why, I don't just want him or someone else to tell me why. Especially when I was led to believe the galaxy was in a good place at the end of Return of the Jedi. I still don't know why everything went so poorly. And that makes it hard to emotionally connect to what's going on here. If I'm supposed to care that Luke wants the Jedi to end, I better see an exceptional justification for that.

The Saga, through all 7 films, has indicated to me the importance of the Jedi and the light side. It has shown that, although the Jedi are imperfect, they need to be there for the good of the galaxy. That the Jedi Order can be changed for the better. By the end of the first 6, we are taught of the importance of family. Luke does the most powerful thing anyone has every done in the Star Wars universe. He redeems Anakin and pulls him back from the Dark Side. He does this because of the love for his father. The Jedi literally took children from their parents to train them. This is a huge reversal of policy from Episode 1. (I also have a lot of thoughts on what the hell family actually means in the Star Wars universe, but that's a slightly different tangent.)

At the start of 7, we learn that the Skywalker family is broken up. Luke, Han, and Leia are all living separate lives, and the latest in the Skywalker line has fallen to the dark side. By the end Han tries to help his son, redeem him with love, but is killed by him instead. It seems like the characters learned nothing or all the wrong lessons since that celebration at the end of Jedi. What exactly went wrong here? What did Luke do so wrong. And why has it led him to believe that the Jedi need to end? And how the hell do we know it will stick? If Jedi's ending is unraveled by the same drama that plagued the Skywalker family through Episodes 1-6, what will be so new and great about this Not-Jedi Order?

I go back to the fact that Luke brought Anakin back from the Dark Side. This is a monumental moment for the Jedi and the Force. It's a huge step forward. It indicates a fundamental rethinking of how to use the Force. But the Jedi aren't ending here, there isn't something new created, it's actually the return of the Jedi. Yet, just 30 years later, it's all gone downhill. And Luke is now calling for a huge shift in what it means to be a force user, so much so that it can't be called Jedi anymore.

Yes 8 will answer these things (hopefully), but it feels like a miscalculation that more hasn't been established at this point. I can only guess there is something else unprecedented going on in the galaxy. In spite of the fact that 7 established everything that happened before in Star Wars is happening again, there must be something far different than what happened in the first 6.
I agree with a lot of your concerns. There are some interesting ideas at play but I feel like they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Not sure this "Jedi are back!"->"Jedi are destroyed" angle was the best foot to start this trilogy on.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Still annoyed that the Twitter said they were going to stream the Rogue One panel but didn't...

The next panel they said will be streamed is in 30 minutes but now I'm not too sure that's gonna happen either.
Anthony Daniels going to reveal the story behind the "phantom limb!" Tomorrow. Venom C3PO confirmed

He's just gonna read us the comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom