• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

MutFox

Banned
Am i the only one who liked episode 3 and enjoyed it

I enjoyed some of it, but the Jedi's died way too easy...
Also, the dogfight at the start sucked for the amount of screen time it had.
RotJ still has some of my fave dogfights ever.

The informant on wdwmagic is saying that blomkamp is now out of the running and it's been narrowed down to three contenders: Faverau, Vaughn, and Wyatt. Supposedly Fincher is in talks to direct a Star Wars movie but its not the Sequel trilogy.

Padme died cuz she lost the will to live. She gave up. The mother of fucking Princess "Somebody's got to save our skins" Leia laid down and died.

nomis

I can't wait until the prequels are a distant memory that nobody talks about anymore

Hopefully more like a faded memory that no one remembers.

izGQyxB6DAAiB.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
The informant on wdwmagic is saying that blomkamp is now out of the running and it's been narrowed down to three contenders: Faverau, Vaughn, and Wyatt. Supposedly Fincher is in talks to direct a Star Wars movie but its not the Sequel trilogy.

Wyatt is an interesting pick. Still praying that Vaughn gets it. Faverau is probably pushing very very hard but I hope to god he doesn't get it.

Wyatt is an interesting pick. Still praying that Vaughn gets it. Faverau is probably pushing very very hard but I hope to god he doesn't get it.

Why? Faverau is a very competent director and his iron man films were excellent. He was a fan of the source material and his love showed in the final product. Jumanji was also awsome.

Jarmel

Banned
Why? Faverau is a very competent director and his iron man films were excellent. He was a fan of the source material and his love showed in the final product. Jumanji was also awsome.

Iron Man 2 and Cowboys and Aliens were horrible films. Also not sure I want a hardcore fanboy for this which is what I envision Favreau as, much moreso than Vaughn.

shira

You're honestly doing yourself a disservice. I've avoided 99% of it for lack of time, myself, but Heir to the Empire is a trilogy absolutely worth reading, without equivocation.
Well at this point the entire EU post ROTJ is basically fanfic trash.

You're honestly doing yourself a disservice. I've avoided 99% of it for lack of time, myself, but Heir to the Empire is a trilogy absolutely worth reading, without equivocation.

I understand some of it may be good, it's just now that even the franchise owners say they're going to ignore it, I don't see the point. I'm not a fan of fan-fiction.

I mean I'm glad I never devoted time to it because it'd probably bother me being emotionally invested into EU only to know it's irrelevant to the movies (which what I was a fan of). To be fair, I'm not a comic book reader either.

I'd be more interested If I knew they were going to use some of it in the movies.

jaxword

Episode 7 is going to completely streamroll over the entire EU.

It's going to be amazing seeing the nerd rage and asperger's freakout of people:

1. Explaining why it's the worst Star Wars ever and why it's non-canon and the EU stays pristine.

2. Bending language, logic, and mental capacity to breaking point trying to reconcile all the contradictory EU with the new official canon.

It'll be like watching religious debates, except this time the word of god is quite provable.

UrbanRats

LTT discussion, but Alien3 is one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time.

I don't think it was very good, especially not a good Alien movie, but i do think it had a great premise (and in the first 10 or 15 minutes i remember thinking "wow, this is really good").

At most there may be a nod or two to the EU. But most of that shit is gone. I only read the first book and a half of the Thrawn books or whatever, and thought it was terrible. And this was when I was young and at the height of my Star Wars love.

Dhx

It's going to be amazing seeing the nerd rage and asperger's freakout of people:

1. Explaining why it's the worst Star Wars ever and why it's non-canon and the EU stays pristine.

2. Bending language, logic, and mental capacity to breaking point trying to reconcile all the contradictory EU with the new official canon.

It'll be like watching religious debates, except this time the word of god is quite provable.

It's quite humorous that the EU defilers seem to be out in much more force and passion than the defenders. For me, the Thrawn series will always be there as an alternative timeline. I will likely even prefer that alternate timeline.

I suspect the majority will take this position, despite a small but vocal minority. But by all means, keep attacking that straw man.

darthbob

And...banned.

Mariolee

It's quite humorous that the EU defilers seem to be out in much more force and passion than the defenders. For me, the Thrawn series will always be there as an alternative timeline. I will likely even prefer that alternate timeline.

I suspect the majority will take this position, despite a small but vocal minority. But by all means, keep attacking that straw man.

I believe that the Force Unleashed introduced the concept of a split timeline in the Star Wars universe, which may hint that when Luke burns Vader's body at the end of Return of the Jedi, two timelines were created: one in which Luke successfuly cremates Vader and one in which the fire catches on the cloth of his pants and he dies from the burns (of course to parallel how Anakin was burned in Episode III. Poetry and whatnot).

The new official movie canon will take place in this new timeline, where a fat Luke (we'll call him Fluke) will guide a future Jedi as a Force Ghost to rebalance the balanced Force.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

jaxword got banned for this?

Anth0ny

I can't wait until the prequels are a distant memory that nobody talks about anymore

Once the sequel trilogy is out and the merchandising/cartoons starts focusing in on those films, I honestly believe the prequels will be pretty much forgotten. They really are utterly forgettable films.

Honestly though, does anyone think Disney won't straight out remake the first six films just to ensure they don't have to pay Fox any royalties to sell/distribute Lucas' originals?

Give it 10 years.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Honestly though, does anyone think Disney won't straight out remake the first six films just to ensure they don't have to pay Fox any royalties to sell/distribute Lucas' originals?

Give it 10 years.

Wow.. you might actually be right.

rekameohs

Banned

Give it 10 years.

They'd finally find the way to get rid of the prequels. Ep. 4-6 would be the prequels.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
They'd finally find the way to get rid of the prequels. Ep. 4-6 would be the prequels.

Nah, if Disney is remaking the films, they're gonna combine the prequel films with the Clone Wars series. The PT films biggest weakness was that Anakin and Obi Wan's relationship was given the shaft and the CW series does a much better job in filling that void.

Nah, if Disney is remaking the films, they're gonna combine the prequel films with the Clone Wars series. The PT films biggest weakness was that Anakin and Obi Wan's relationship was given the shaft and the CW series does a much better job in filling that void.

I once wrote an article for nerdpuddle.com about rebooting the prequels/originals, back when the Blu-rays were about to come out.

Basically, I don't think you need 3 movies to tell the prequel stories, you don't need to start w/ Anakin as a kid in the slightest, and there's something to be said for the characters in your Star Wars movies to either a) have fun or b) act human in the face of some crazy, ridiculous shit constantly happening on screen.

The biggest problem with the Prequels was that everybody was so buttoned-down and restrained that nothing ever felt like it was in danger of BREATHING.

I don't think anyone wants Nolan to touch anything

What? He knows how to direct actors/frame shots/move cameras. Why WOULDN'T you want Nolan to touch Star Wars.

The biggest problem with playing Director Roulette on Star Wars is landing on a director who's potential is such that you'd feel they were unneccessarily constraining themselves signing on to make something within such a known framework.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Give it 10 years.

I thought Disney was going to fully own everything except Star Wars in seven years anyway.

What? He knows how to direct actors/frame shots/move cameras. Why WOULDN'T you want Nolan to touch Star Wars.

The biggest problem with playing Director Roulette on Star Wars is landing on a director who's potential is such that you'd feel they were unneccessarily constraining themselves signing on to make something within such a known framework.

Nolan has no idea how to direction action scenes, he's a poor editor, and there is no evidence he would be able to handle advanced cg special effects. Also, anyone who directs a batman movie but thinks everything about the comics is "too silly" doesn't deserve to be anywhere near Star Wars.

Their rights to the original never run out, but basically yeah.

I thought Lucas got the rights to the original back when negotiating the Prequels w/ Fox.

I'm also wondering if, at some point, the Star Wars rights w/ Fox end up getting entangled w/ Disney's efforts to get Fox's Marvel properties back

Tookay

Once the sequel trilogy is out and the merchandising/cartoons starts focusing in on those films, I honestly believe the prequels will be pretty much forgotten. They really are utterly forgettable films.

Which is why we're still raging about them a decade after the fact, have 90 minute videos dissecting their failures, and documentaries about how Lucas screwed the fans.

Cheebo

Banned
The clone wars animated series has been hugely successful. Prequel era won't be forgotten. And it will always be included in the massive boxsets. It's quality isn't up there with the rest but being part of the franchise means it will always be there. It's like saying the Roger Moore era of James Bond will be forgotten. The prequels are 3 films in a massively popular franchise and will be in every boxset from here on for the rest of our lives.

Saying they will be forgotten is incredibly unlikely. They will always be re-released and in the boxsets.

Not to mention kids love them, again the clone wars example.

Top Bottom