• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

zugzug

everything you guys are discussing makes me not want to like this film. It will be safe and just not that exciting to me.

Bleh Trek09
Bleh Favreau
Bleh Bad star wars script thats completely Disney. Meant to appease all generations, in a PG-13 movie style.

Just like the Star Wars MMOs watch us get a Smuggler that does not smuggle yet again.

everything you guys are discussing makes me not want to like this film. It will be safe and just not that exciting to me.

Bleh Trek09
Bleh Favreau
Bleh Bad star wars script thats completely Disney. Meant to appease all generations, in a PG-13 movie style.

Just like the Star Wars MMOs watch us get a Smuggler that does not smuggle yet again.

You expect something different from a Star Wars movie?

maharg

idspispopd
Why would Cameron even think about directing Star Wars? He already has his own Star Wars.

It's so cute when people think Avatar is guaranteed to have the cultural longevity of Star Wars. When we're talking about who'll take over making Avatar 7 in 30 years we can talk about that.

Here is a cool video of Michael Arndt speaking at a book store about script writing. Just watching the first couple reassured me.

Watch ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Writer Michael Arndt Talk Screenwriting For One Hour

On a less controversial note, I must have completely missed this announcement when it happened. I'm both glad and worried about this choice. Glad because the guy is clearly a competent screenwriter, LMS and Toy Story 3 both had great scripts. TS3 in particular was excellent in how it was structured to appeal to both children and adults, which is a knife's edge Star Wars needs to walk. But worried because he hasn't, as far as I can tell, written SF (be that Science Fiction or Space Fantasy) before.

It's so cute when people think Avatar is guaranteed to have the cultural longevity of Star Wars. When we're talking about who'll take over making Avatar 7 in 30 years we can talk about that.

I don't think that's what he meant when he said Cameron has his own Star Wars. Essentially meant his own big sci-fi universe with lots of possibilities to play around in.

Let us please not get back into the Star Wars vs Avatar sequels discussion.

Bleh Trek09
Bleh Favreau

Wasn't the entire original trilogy rated PG? Heh. I don't see the need to make something "dark" and "gritty" that never was to begin with.

So Gullermo del Toro also turned it down:

We got one phone call to my agent saying, 'Is Guillermo interested?' And basically I have so much stuff already of my own, and I'm pursuing stuff that I'm generating already..." he said, explaining that he ultimately turned it down.

With numerous directing, producing and writing projects in the works, Del Toro made it clear that his own slate is full enough to keep him occupied, but he was still pleased to be approached. "It was very flattering," he said, adding: "It was just a phone call, it didn't go past that, it was very nice to be asked, but believe it or not, I'm busy enough."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/guillermo-del-toro-says-he-was-approached-for-star-wars-episode-7-would-have-loved-to-see-brad-bird-direct-the-sequel-20130107

"New rubbish dialog reaches me every other day..." Alec Guinness writing to a friend 'bout Star Wars

BAAjZBsCAAEMDmx.jpg:large

Tennyson Ford. That's pretty good.

Everytime this thread is bumped I think for a split second "Did I miss the director announcement somehow?"

Weird that Del Toro passed, considering his earlier quote that sounded as if he'd have jumped on it.

Well at least is shows that they're interested in getting talented people.

The only question really is how far down their wishlist they have to venture before they find a director that wants to do it (and is available).

To me, the smart money for any established director is to wait and see how the first movie or two turn out, both from a box office/critical perspective, but just as importantly, from a creative perspective; were there any horror stories down the line of power struggles and interventions? Plus by that time I'm sure there will be the possibility of off-shoot projects that might be more appealing to directors than the 'main canon' of films.

I honestly believe that there's enough people at Disney and Lucasarts that have their hearts in the right place to want to make a good film above all else, but I don't really have faith that they have the confidence to see it through.

Are they really wanting to sign a single director for all three?

The alternative would be finding a new director for each installment of the new trilogy. That would be a huge pain in the ass, especially if the first film is a critical success (I'm just going to assume that financial success is a given).

The alternative would be finding a new director for each installment of the new trilogy. That would be a huge pain in the ass, especially if the first film is a critical success (I'm just going to assume that financial success is a given).

I'm going to go with that being much easier than finding a worthy director that's available for all three. Plus I expect they'd want to spread the risk somewhat.

I'm going to go with that being much easier than finding a worthy director that's available for all three. Plus I expect they'd want to spread the risk somewhat.

I'm sure a guy like Matthew Vaughn would be up for it. He's not huge, but he does have reasonable success at adapting fiction to film. He hasn't proven to be creatively ambitious given the projects he takes on, so a decade of Star Wars seems to be right up his alley.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't think they need to find a director that will do all three. What will be most important to them is get the right person for the first one, then they'll figure out the rest afterwards, but before the first one ships obviously.

I still think it will be Joe Johnston. He has the right track record and hasn't been the most busy.

Joe Johnston is one of the worst blockbuster directors out there. Lol honestly I'd even prefer Stephen Sommers over him.

While George Lucas made silly films out of the prequels joe Johnston would do much worse...he'd make forgettable films

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The only person I'd trust to make a new Star Wars movie is Alfonso Cuaron.

I don't think they need to find a director that will do all three. What will be most important to them is get the right person for the first one, then they'll figure out the rest afterwards, but before the first one ships obviously.

I still think it will be Joe Johnston. He has the right track record and hasn't been the most busy.

Hope not. His style is incredibly boring.

Alfonso Cuaron or David Fincher would be an enormous waste of talent and I can't imagine their style matching. Joe Johnston or someone of his workmanlike ilk would be ideal.

UrbanRats

Alfonso Cuaron or David Fincher would be an enormous waste of talent and I can't imagine their style matching. Joe Johnston or someone of his workmanlike ilk would be ideal.
Like someone said above, DelToro on a more gritty and greasy Bountry Hunter themed SW, would have 100% of my attention.

But they can even pick a "nobody" as long as he's good.
It's not like the dude behind Dredd (for example) was a big one, but the film was very good nonetheless.
I also don't think they should necessarily go for the mega colossal project, i wouldn't mind smaller scope movies set in that universe.

Yuck, Im not a fan of Johnston's style being applied to something like SW, even if in a way its a close fit. He has had way too many shitty films IMO.

Top Bottom