• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

If there was any justice in the world it should be Kosinski with a cast consisting of Tom Cruise, Jeff Bridges, and Olivia Wilde and should feature really technical ship and weapon designs. It would be badass.

Man, could you imagine if it was announced that Cameron was putting the Avatar sequels on hold and directing Ep 7. I think the internet would explode. I would be pretty disappointed myself.

I know, I'm just saying I wouldn't limit it to that.

I'm not, though - Vaughn/Favreau being the two most commonly mentioned for the job pretty much put paid to the idea that it HAS to be someone who's worked with her.

Fuck it: The list of potentials, in reverse order

5: Jon Favreau
4: Joe Johnston
3: Matthew Vaughn
2: Guillermo Del Toro
1: David Fincher

Wild Cards: Duncan Jones, Joe Cornish

If there was any justice in the world it should be Kosinski with a cast consisting of Tom Cruise, Jeff Bridges, and Olivia Wilde and should feature really technical ship and weapon designs. It would be badass.

Your concept of justice is wholly foreign to me.

Man, could you imagine if it was announced that Cameron was putting the Avatar sequels on hold and directing Ep 7. I think the internet would explode. I would be pretty disappointed myself.

I feel like Cameron already made his Star Wars with Avatar. Any original ideas he had in the sci-fi genre were all used up making Pandora. There's nothing Star Wars would offer him that Avatar didn't fufil..

Man, could you imagine a Nolan announcement?

Not as awful as this post.

You think that Abrahms has a good eye for art direction? You like that the Romulans build a vessel with gantry ways designed for tripping themselves into certain doom? When James Cameron, who you admire greatly, and for good reason, designs something he does so with absolute visual clarity of its form, function, place in the films universe, as well as how it looks on camera. Abrahms doesn't do this at all. He just tries to jam strange appendages and organic forms on near everything.

The pisser is that Abrahms is a damn good director. His action and plotting is typically really great. He just has a terrible taste for non contemporary designs.

Man, could you imagine a Nolan announcement?

That would be awful. Nolan shouldn't be wasting his time with any more franchise films. I want something original. Plus Star Wars films are CG heavy and Nolan is less than stellar when it comes to dealing with CG. It wouldn't be his bag at all and he wouldn't take it.

You think that Abrahms has a good eye for art direction? You like that the Romulans build a vessel with gantry ways designed for tripping themselves into certain doom? When James Cameron, who you admire greatly, and for good reason, designs something he does so with absolute visual clarity of its form, function, place in the films universe, as well as how it looks on camera. Abrahms doesn't do this at all. He just tries to jam strange appendages and organic forms on near everything.

The pisser is that Abrahms is a damn good director. His action and plotting is typically really great. He just has a terrible taste for non contemporary designs.

I was responding to your critique of Kirk's cruiser mainly. I loved that little thing. And yes, while the inside of the Romulan ship was borderline retarded, I really dug the imposing, almost organic look it painted from the outside.

That would be awful. Nolan shouldn't be wasting his time with any more franchise films. I want something original. Plus Star Wars films are CG heavy and Nolan is less than stellar when it comes to dealing with CG. It wouldn't be his bag at all and he wouldn't take it.

I'm really not sure. If he wanted to do big sci-fi, all for him. All I'm saying is that in a theoretical universe where Chris Nolan wants & is able to direct a Star Wars film - I'd be hyped. Plus, Nolan's love for practical effects would be a refreshing break from the style that the prequels established.

Seriously though, my dream announcements are Del Toro, Edgar Wright, and Duncan Jones. Del Toro would be extra great simply because he spends all that time trying to make The Hobbit work, has to bounce due to extenuating circumstances - and then by timing/happenstance, winds up directing a Star Wars movie instead? What a fuckin story that would be.

Plus if anyone would figure out how to inject some honest-to-god FUN into Star Wars again, that guy would do it.

However, the chances are slight, even though I wishfully stuck him at my #2 preferred candidate for the job.

Oh man, I would hate for Del Toro to do it outside of designing some wacky aliens.

I still think that Zemeckis is a good fit. Because live-action Zemeckis is great.

injurai

Banned
Seriously though, my dream announcements are Del Toro, Edgar Wright, and Duncan Jones. Del Toro would be extra great simply because he spends all that time trying to make The Hobbit work, has to bounce due to extenuating circumstances - and then by timing/happenstance, winds up directing a Star Wars movie instead? What a fuckin story that would be.

Plus if anyone would figure out how to inject some honest-to-god FUN into Star Wars again, that guy would do it.

However, the chances are slight, even though I wishfully stuck him at my #2 preferred candidate for the job.

i really would love to see his imagining of SW.

I would rather Del Toro finish the other 10+ projects on his plate before signing on for Star Wars. I'd love if he could consult on the art direction though.

I feel Wright would be a fantastic "fun" choice, but I'd rather let him roam free with a spinoff, rather than hand him "Episode 7". Duncan's cool as well, but he's never touched anything that even approaches the scope of SW.

My personal dream candidates would be Brad Bird, Neil Blompkamp, and Danny Boyle.

I would rather Del Toro finish the other 10+ projects on his plate before signing on for Star Wars. I'd love if he could consult on the art direction though.

I feel Wright would be a fantastic "fun" choice, but I'd rather let him roam free with a spinoff, rather than hand him "Episode 7". Duncan's cool as well, but he's never touched anything that even approaches the scope of SW.

My personal dream candidates would be Brad Bird, Neil Blompkamp, and Danny Boyle.

Yeah Bird would probably be my dream candidate after Spielberg. But only if Bird was writing the script.

I have no idea where you pulled Danny Boyle from for a film like this.

And we're probably going to be stuck with Favraeu.

And that would be fine because his visual style would drop in perfecty. None of the Star Wars films is visually distinct. They use a lot of wide shots, very few inserts, and have lots of depth of field. Favreau is a step beyond this type of filmmaking and a guy as good as David Fincher in the antithesis of Star Wars photographically.

Star Wars is shot to be a clear and concise as it can so all ages can see and absord the story. When too visual of a director gets behind the camera of a film like this it can actualy overwhelm and distract. See Ridley Scott's Legend.

Oh man, I would hate for Del Toro to do it outside of designing some wacky aliens.

I still think that Zemeckis is a good fit. Because live-action Zemeckis is great.

Zemeckis could knock it out of the park. Does he still have an interest in big epics though? Flight felt like him resigning from that sort of moviemaking.

Duncan's cool as well, but he's never touched anything that even approaches the scope of SW.

Other directors that never even approached the scope of Star Wars before making Star Wars movies

Irvin Kershner
Richard Marquand
George Lucas.

That said - I like your three picks. Bird was my first/instant pick within 2 minutes of hearing Lucasfilm had been sold. Danny Boyle is a great pick - but he turned down the ALIEN series when given a chance, I doubt he'd sign on to something exponentially bigger than that.

Other directors that never even approached the scope of Star Wars before making Star Wars movies

Irvin Kershner
Richard Marquand
George Lucas.

That said - I like your three picks. Bird was my first/instant pick within 2 minutes of hearing Lucasfilm had been sold. Danny Boyle is a great pick - but he turned down the ALIEN series when given a chance, I doubt he'd sign on to something exponentially bigger than that.

I suppose since we are talking fantasy picks - Jones is a solid one. I want to see him do something bigger - I'd just rather see him get a "middle step" between where he is, and Star Wars.

Also, now I'm seriously curious if even Danny Boyle could've saved Resurrection. Whedon couldn't.

How did the 2D blu become the highest grossing blu ever?

Because it's pretty as shit and in 2009, blu-ray was still kinda young and a lot of people bought blu-rays less for how GOOD the films were and more for how GOOD the films looked?

Finding Nemo was the highest selling DVD of all time, for example. A lot of that had to do with people marveling at how fucking gorgeous the transfer was.

Because it's pretty as shit and in 2009, blu-ray was still kinda young and a lot of people bought blu-rays less for how GOOD the films were and more for how GOOD the films looked?

Finding Nemo was the highest selling DVD of all time, for example. A lot of that had to do with people marveling at how fucking gorgeous the transfer was.

Finding Nemo sold because kids fucking love talking fish. That movie was Cars before Cars, in terms of selling merchandise.

Avatar was successful for a few reasons. First, it's a good, pretty movie. Second, it's universally relatable. Virtually any audience can watch it and find something to like. Most importantly - Avatar was able to sell itself as a cultural phenomenon. The CGI, 3D, and massive scope made people believe that it was the next big sci-fi franchise - and it dominated theaters for months afterwards. Come time for the Blu-Ray, and it was the must-have movie to test out a new HDTV.

So the point stands, it wasn't 3D that made it a successful film. I can't believe people still bring that garbage idea up. The film made 1.3b more than The Avengers. 3D doesn't account for that much.

So the point stands, it wasn't 3D that made it a successful film. I can't believe people still bring that garbage idea up. The film made 1.3b more than The Avengers. 3D doesn't account for that much.

Theatrically, with that movie? 3D accounted for quite a bit. If I remember correctly, almost 70-80% of its initial box-office came from 3D reciepts.

That said - yes, its success on DVD/Blu-Ray has less to do with 3D, and more to do with its being a cultural phenomenon at that point.

I'm always a little itchy on equating popularity to quality. I understand that there are, inherently, some bonds between the two, but there's a lot of REALLY popular shit that isn't all that great, and a lot of REALLY great shit that never got popular. So much so that drawing even a crooked line between "popularity" and "quality" makes me recoil against the notion.

Finding Nemo sold because kids fucking love talking fish.

This too. This moreso than the reason I brought up.

Theatrically, with that movie? 3D accounted for quite a bit. If I remember correctly, almost 70-80% of its initial box-office came from 3D reciepts.

That said - yes, its success on DVD/Blu-Ray has less to do with 3D, and more to do with its being a cultural phenomenon at that point.

I'm always a little itchy on equating popularity to quality. I understand that there are, inherently, some bonds between the two, but there's a lot of REALLY popular shit that isn't all that great, and a lot of REALLY great shit that never got popular. So much so that drawing even a crooked line between "popularity" and "quality" makes me recoil against the notion.

I wasn't even arguing for the film's quality (despite liking it). I was simply correcting somebody who tried to suggest is was only successful because of its 3D. And saying that 70-80% of its box office came from 3D showings ignores that at most that gives those 75% of tickets a 30% bump. You take away the 3D surcharge and Avatar is still sitting around or above $2b.

I wasn't even arguing for the film's quality (despite liking it). I was simply correcting somebody who tried to suggest is was only successful because of its 3D. And saying that 70-80% of its box office came from 3D showings ignores that at most that gives those 75% of tickets a 30% bump. You take away the 3D surcharge and Avatar is still sitting around or above $2b.

If it was a 2D movie it would lose a lot more than that 30% bump. A lot less people would have gone to see it.

If it was a 2D movie it would lose a lot more than that 30% bump. A lot less people would have gone to see it.

Possibly, possibly not. No real way of knowing. But the fact that people went bonkers for it on blu without the 3D after having seen it is telling enough that it still would have had a high chance of toppling Titanic.

Because it didn't just topple Titanic. It destroyed Titanic. Which is still kind of crazy to me.

Alas, I was enjoying this thread a lot more when we were discussing potential directors for Ep7.

Yeah, it's hard to discount this. A HUGE part of the buzz around Avatar was that it made 3D a legitimate filmmaking tool.

Here's a question: Do you think whoever is hired to direct Star Wars for Disney directs it in 3D? Secondary question: Do you think Disney goes forward with 3D converting the Original Trilogy after Fox burns off Episodes II & III in 2013? It's hard to argue that the 30-40 mil Episode I made in 3D wasn't seen as a disappointment considering Episode IV made 130 mil in 1997 dollars without the benefit of 3D pricing.

Considering the bath Finding Nemo 3D just took, is it a wise decision to marry Star Wars w/ 3D any further?

Yeah, it's hard to discount this. A HUGE part of the buzz around Avatar was that it made 3D a legitimate filmmaking tool.

Here's a question: Do you think whoever is hired to direct Star Wars for Disney directs it in 3D? Secondary question: Do you think Disney goes forward with 3D converting the Original Trilogy after they Fox burns off Episodes II & III in 2013?

I definitely think that whoever directs it will have 3D forced on them whether they like it or not. Hopefully they like it so they film it natively. I really can't stand conversions and am still pissed about Trek.

Edit for your edit: Nemo is a rerelease. Disney KNOWS audiences will rush out for SW. So why not squeeze them for that extra couple of bucks per person?

Possibly, possibly not. No real way of knowing. But the fact that people went bonkers for it on blu without the 3D after having seen it is telling enough that it still would have had a high chance of toppling Titanic.

Because it didn't just topple Titanic. It destroyed Titanic. Which is still kind of crazy to me.

Alas, I was enjoying this thread a lot more when we were discussing potential directors for Ep7.

1. Still sold less tickets than Titanic.

2. Common sense, dude. Avatar may have been a huge success but it wouldn't have sold the same with 2D. Yes, the blu ray sold a lot but people are fucking lemmings. Once everyone had to see Avatar they can delude themselves into thinking it was $17 well spent

3. Clint fucking Eastwood

Here's a question: Do you think whoever is hired to direct Star Wars for Disney directs it in 3D? Secondary question: Do you think Disney goes forward with 3D converting the Original Trilogy after they Fox burns off Episodes II & III in 2013?

disney so yes to new one in 3d. I'd be okay with it if it follows the Ridley mold from Prometheus (just talking about the use of 3D here). I hope the original isn't converted though.

disney so yes to new one in 3d. I'd be okay with it if it follows the Ridley mold from Prometheus (just talking about the use of 3D here). I hope the original isn't converted though.

I agree w/ you and Sculli - Episode 7 is likely going to be filmed/post-converted to 3D. Hopefully filmed in 3D, as opposed to post-conversion, which I've never liked and so far as I can tell has NEVER been done convincingly.

But I do hope once the prequels get their 3D re-releases, the 3D-ing stops there. I honestly think that at this point, there's more money in presenting the originals AS originals than there is in presenting the blu-ray cuts in falsified 3D.

Disney hasn't got the balls at this point.

Can you blame them? They've probably already set a budget. Considering the less-than-expected financial returns on The Hobbit, why would they further gamble? The highest grossing movie of 2012 is a traditionally shot, post-converted cosmic spectacle. They're probably gonna roll the dice in THAT direction.

Branduil

Can you blame them? They've probably already set a budget. Considering the less-than-expected financial returns on The Hobbit, why would they further gamble? The highest grossing movie of 2012 is a traditionally shot, post-converted cosmic spectacle. They're probably gonna roll the dice in THAT direction.

The Hobbit's box office returns don't really have anything to do with 48 fps considering how few screens are playing it. They probably just won't want whiny critics who are frightened by change to give it bad reviews.

Yeah, you and about 50% of the vocal audience that sat through the first film. Yet somehow I still think it's going to make a huge amount of cash and somehow you guys will still have impressions to give after opening weekend.

I didn't say it won't make a lot of money. It will make a shit ton of money.

It won't make any money from me, though. And you won't be seeing me in the thread on it since I won't review something I didn't see. I only go to like 3-4 movies a year (I mostly rent) so I' mean it when I say it.

I may rent it for a $1 depending on what I hear. But I won't be fooled again. Cameron can be good, so I'm hoping for a new project.

The Hobbit's box office returns don't really have anything to do with 48 fps considering how few screens are playing it.

The few screens playing it has EVERYTHING to do with it. Exhibitor pushback at an industry convention led to Warners severely cutting the number of screens it rolled out on. There's been spin since that says it's not that.. but it's that.

When Cameron proves that it's viable, the industry will play follow the leader again. Not before.

The idea that critical reaction has anything to do with the planning of Star Wars movies is silly. If anything in the history of cinema has ever proven to be critic-proof, it's Star Wars.

I'd be amused

What I would really love is for Bryan singer to direct Star Wars and James Cameron to direct X-Men

Top Bottom