• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

I see your point. Personally though, I was hoping that this would be a completely fresh look at the Star Wars franchise. Instead, Lucas is still heavily involved with the treatment and they want to bring back the most beloved characters from the original trilogy.

We don't know that Lucas is heavily involved. For all we know, the producers are going to look at his outlines and think "this is crap" and largely disregard them. They can totally do that if they choose to. Of course they're not going to come out and say it publicly, that would be bad form. But people need to stop worrying that Lucas is going to ruin the movies. He's just a resource that they can go to. If the movies suck, that's on Disney, not him.

shira

BREAKING: Robert Pattison officially interested

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/robert-pattinson-hearts-jar-jar-binks
robert-pattinson-twilight-img.jpg

rpat said:
"I actually kind of like Jar Jar. I don't understand what the big deal is about Jar Jar."

BobLoblaw

Banned
I wonder how much they're going to shit on the expanded universe. Since these aren't prequels, it seems like they're definitely going to take place post-Empire, which is going to invalidate a lot of great stories in the SW universe.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder how much they're going to shit on the expanded universe. Since these aren't prequels, it seems like they're definitely going to take place post-Empire, which is going to invalidate a lot of great stories in the SW universe.

Not necessarily. Set it to... what, about 50ABY, that's still unfilled time. These sequel movies could fill the gap beetween the novels set before 50ABY and the Legacy comics.

The issue with this, of course, would be the amount of events and new characters. How to explain these to new viewers? To old viewers who don't follow EU? Etc. issues.

Mark Hamill and co. could easily portay older versions of their characters, they're about the same age as their character's in-universe, no?

Marleyman

Banned

Great stories that honestly most don't know/give a fuck about.

Raptor

Del Toro would be an amazing choice for directing this.

Of course that will not happen and we will get a shitty director like Johnson.

We don't know that Lucas is heavily involved. For all we know, the producers are going to look at his outlines and think "this is crap" and largely disregard them. They can totally do that if they choose to. Of course they're not going to come out and say it publicly, that would be bad form. But people need to stop worrying that Lucas is going to ruin the movies. He's just a resource that they can go to. If the movies suck, that's on Disney, not him.

This is probably really close to the truth. Lucas handed over what materials he had to Kennedy awhile back. Arndt used those materials and came up with a 40-50 page treatment covering the entire 7-9 trilogy. From that treatment, he gets to write the script for the first movie.

Lucas gets a "creative consultant" credit, which is nice, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. In fact, it's entirely possible that title is there solely to appease any shareholders who still believe in his power as a storyteller, and any fans who feel they need to be reassured that Lucas will still have some measure of control.

But if he really wanted control, he wouldn't have sold it all. He knows what giving it to somebody else actually means. Those notes are Disney's now. Those companies are Disney's now. A guy who wants to keep some semblance of control doesn't put his entire life's work up for sale when he already has 3 billion in the bank.

I'm betting his "Creative Consultant" credit will mean just about as much as Glen Larson's "Creative Consultant" credit did on Ron Moore's "Battlestar Galactica," or Kaz & Fran Rubel Kuzui's "Executive Producer" credit meant on any of Whedon's Buffy properties outside of the movie.

This is Kathleen Kennedy's show to run. She's chosen Michael Arndt as her writer, and we'll probably find out who the director is by the end of the week. Lucas as "Creative Consultant" is a thing that is trotted out in these early days, and will then be forgotten about as production goes forward, until the movie starts playing and we see his name in the end credits and go "oh yeah."

edit: The Johnston hate is weird, to me. He's not great, but he can do a damned good Spielberg impersonation when asked (Captain America, The Rocketeer, parts of October Sky). Otherwise, he's just kind of a middle-of-the-road workman/journeyman director. His bad movies aren't atrocious or anything, just garden variety boring/uninteresting.

Other journeyman directors who have directed Star Wars movies.

Irvin Kershner
Richard Marquand

Now, I personally think Return of the Jedi isn't very well shot, or paced, but most people don't bring up Marquand's name, or his direction, when they start discussing Jedi's flaws. And we all know about Kershner.

adg1034

My picks would be, Rian Johnson, Drew Goddard, Vince Gilligan. Pipe dreams I know but they would be awesome.

Despite Breaking Bad's amazingness, Gilligan would still be seen as too unproven for the job. Rian and Drew, though. 'Twould be gobsmackingly terrific if that played out.

(With a Bear McCreary soundtrack, of course.)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Now, I personally think Return of the Jedi isn't very well shot, or paced, but most people don't bring up Marquand's name, or his direction, when they start discussing Jedi's flaws. And we all know about Kershner.

Marquand didn't have full creative control in ROTJ. Lucas ghost-directed alot of scenes from the film, in particular anything featuring special effects, and the throne room scenes, which are the best scenes in the film.

JB1981

After the prequels I'm inclined to disagree - none of those films really flowed well. The extremely sudden descent into ridiculously evil deeds by Anakin is one of the dumbest parts of those movies. The entire trilogy should have cut out a lot of that content; IMO the first movie could be condensed to include both the child and teenage Anakin, the second movie his gradual descent to the Dark Side, and the third film should have been far more Darth Vader antics.

I'm being an armchair director now though, but I would not say I'm comfortable with him even providing a general outline of how these new movies should play out.

he was referring to cameron ;)

Eurghh. If Lucas redoes the EU - that would create an entirely new EU.
EU2 of which to sell more books/games/merchandise

Lucas won't be redoing anything. He has zero actual say in Star Wars anymore. Yeah, it's possible Kathleen Kennedy will check in with him - but I doubt it. I dont' think she took the job just to be puppeteered by a man who technically doesn't even work there.

Game-Biz

Lucas's outline work for the last Indiana Jones was why the film was sooo terrible. As long as anybody working on the film can say, "Hey, this part of the script is terrible, let's change it," and Lucas is powerless to stop them, then these films may just have a chance.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Lucas's outline work for the last Indiana Jones was why the film was sooo terrible. As long as anybody working on the film can say, "Hey, this part of the script is terrible, let's change it," and Lucas is powerless to stop them, then these films may just have a chance.

I love that all the blame on Crystal Skull goes to Lucas when Spielberg is no pushover and has as much say about what goes in Indy as much as Lucas. Spielberg is as much responsible for the Indiana Jones films as Lucas is.

Lucas's outline work for the last Indiana Jones was why the film was sooo terrible.

That's being generous. Spielberg had some bad ideas as well. Ford didn't turn in much of a performance.

That's not to let Lucas off the hook: There shouldn't have even BEEN an Indiana Jones IV. But to say its failure is solely due to his story seems like an exaggeration to me.

Game-Biz

I love that all the blame on Crystal Skull goes to Lucas when Spielberg is no pushover and has as much say about what goes in Indy as much as Lucas. Spielberg is as much responsible for the Indiana Jones films as Lucas is.
I agree, I blame Spielberg too. But I don't think anyone challenges Lucas anymore to push him to do the great things he's capable of. I don't think Spielberg had any passion in the making of Crystal Skull, it seems like he just made a lot of mis-judgements on certain aspects and didn't really try (that or it's hard working under the immense pressure of a Indy sequel). And if I remember correctly, Lucas would not budge a inch on his outline ideas, i.e. the nuke fridge, vine swinging, ect.

I agree, I blame Spielberg too. But I don't think anyone challenges Lucas anymore to push him to do the great things he's capable of. I don't think Spielberg had any passion in the making of Crystal Skull, it seems like he just made a lot of mis-judgements on certain aspects and didn't really try (that or it's hard working under the immense pressure of a Indy sequel). And if I remember correctly, Lucas would not budge a inch on his outline ideas, i.e. the nuke fridge, vine swinging, ect.

The fridge was Spielberg, not Lucas. It was something he liked from early drafts of Back to the Future.

Pretty sure the vine swinging was Spielberg, too. Could be wrong. But the fridge is Spielberg's call, definitely.

Game-Biz

The fridge was Spielberg, not Lucas. It was something he liked from early drafts of Back to the Future.

Pretty sure the vine swinging was Spielberg, too. Could be wrong. But the fridge is Spielberg's call, definitely.
Whaaa, really? Then I concede to you. My Lucas hating lens I've been looking through for a while has impaired my memory it seems. Alright, maybe he isn't that bad.

MisterHero

It would be interesting to find out what would happen if they decided to ignore the CGI advancement and acting pools from the last 30 years. No fake groundhogs and no Shia Lebouf.

I wonder if modern audiences would be more accepting of stilted puppet performances and aliens with non-moving mouths. Maybe they can accept Star Wars the way it was originally accepted.

I'm not fond of all the franchise leveraging behind The Clone Wars but maybe that's what people like now.

B.K.

Are you sure it was Spielberg? The refrigerator scene is one of the things that made it over from Lucas' old Indiana Jones and the Suacer Men from Mars script.

Mariolee

I loved the fridge scene actually (aside from the CGI chipmunk or whatever) and the great shot that followed.

indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull_mushroom_cloud-480x193.jpg

Anyone got this in higher res?

I loved the fridge scene actually (aside from the CGI chipmunk or whatever) and the great shot that followed.

indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull_mushroom_cloud-480x193.jpg

Anyone got this in higher res?

I don't have a higher res screenshot, but I have an interview with Janusz Kaminski about how he created that shot, and 9 other shots from the Spielberg movies he's been DP on.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/how-...ographer-janusz-kaminski-got-these-shots.html

Speaking of which, for me, finding out who will edit, photograph, and score this movie is equally as important as who is directing it.

I love Crystal Skull in spite of its flaws, really, and that shot is just one of the reasons. People act like it's the biggest travesty this side of Attack of the Clones, but it's nowhere close.

Then again, even Attack of the Clones had a couple good, RARE dramatic moments. Jango Fett's rolling head.

Keep Lucas OUT. I swear he's gonna force Ahsoka in the movie...
igJ0P9tQ59SWE.gif

Again - he's no longer a part of Lucasfilm. Kathleen Kennedy runs that company now, and makes the executive decisions regarding the films. Lucas has no power to force anything on anyone.

I'm getting the sense that there's a lot of habitual shitting people are going to need some time to break themselves of. I'm not saying the man might not have earned himself a fecal fleck or two. But people are so used to instinctively opening their bowels in the goitered ones direction that they missed the part where his naming Kennedy the president and selling all of his Lucasfilm holdings to Disney means he doesn't get to actually MAKE decisions any more. At best, he gets to consult on other people's decisions, and that's if they care to ask him.

Oozer3993

If John Williams doesn't score this, I will be inconsolable. I'll lock myself in my room for a week and do nothing but cry.

Anth0ny

Watch the Plinkett review for Indy. It sounded like Lucas kept throwing all these god awful ideas at Spielberg, and he was just like "ugh... fine whatever" to all of them.

Jarmel

Banned
Again - he's no longer a part of Lucasfilm. Kathleen Kennedy runs that company now, and makes the executive decisions regarding the films. Lucas has no power to force anything on anyone.

I'm getting the sense that there's a lot of habitual shitting people are going to need some time to break themselves of. I'm not saying the man might not have earned himself a fecal fleck or two. But people are so used to instinctively opening their bowels in the goitered ones direction that they missed the part where his naming Kennedy the president and selling all of his Lucasfilm holdings to Disney means he doesn't get to actually MAKE decisions any more. At best, he gets to consult on other people's decisions, and that's if they care to ask him.

Here's the thing though, the movie needs a strong director that can push back if need be. That's my main worry about some of the smaller directors in that Lucas will backseat direct even if he has no actual authority and Kathleen Kennedy will just allow it to happen. Do we know about her preferences anyway like whether she liked the prequels or not?

Here's the thing though, the movie needs a strong director that can push back if need be. That's my main worry about some of the smaller directors in that Lucas will backseat direct even if he has no actual authority and Kathleen Kennedy will just allow it to happen. Do we know about her preferences anyway like whether she liked the prequels or not?

If Lucas gave a shit about backseat directing he wouldn't have sold Lucasfilm. He consciously made a decision to relinquish all authority/control over this for 4.05 billion dollars. He's tired as fuck, obviously. Look at him in those interview videos.

Kennedy is not the kind of person to vacate her position as a major power player simply to be George Lucas' puppet. And Lucas knows better than to hire someone like Kennedy and think he can just cede all authority to her and still puppeteer her like she was Rick McCallum.

qindarka

Banned
Watch the Plinkett review for Indy. It sounded like Lucas kept throwing all these god awful ideas at Spielberg, and he was just like "ugh... fine whatever" to all of them.

And just how is this supposed to absolve Spielberg of responsibility?

Count me in as someone who loves the fridge scene.

It's been said by Mythbusters that surviving a nuclear blast by hiding inside a lead-lined fridge is possible, just not as close to the point of impact as Indy was. So it's definitely a stretch, but not that much of a stretch for a pulp adventure movie. It's perfectly acceptable to me. Many great movies have exaggerated the rules of physics in the past, which I think is different from disregarding the rules of physics completely.

If John Williams doesn't score this, I will be inconsolable. I'll lock myself in my room for a week and do nothing but cry.

That's why I'm crossing my fingers and toes that if he can't do it Michael Giacchino will score it. He's the only one who can do the same grand, sense of wonder scale of music these days that Williams used to do.

It's perfectly acceptable to me. Many great movies have exaggerated the rules of physics in the past, which I think is different from disregarding the rules of physics completely.

Like, say, for example, a movie where three people jump out of a moving plane in an inflatable raft, fall hundreds of feet only to softly land on the side of a mountain and slide down that mountain in the raft, off another cliff, falling another hundred or so feeet all the way to a river where they safely wash up after going through some rapids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KPSe67iwR0

I'm not the biggest fan of Nuking the Fridge, but nobody seems to ever hold Temple of Doom's plane jump in anywhere near the same regard. Or, for that matter, the scene where the plane gets its wings sheared off by a tunnel and then skates past the car as the pilot and Indy do double takes at each other.

Count me in as someone who loves the fridge scene.

It's been said by Mythbusters that surviving a nuclear blast by hiding inside a lead-lined fridge is possible, just not as close to the point of impact as Indy was. So it's definitely a stretch, but not that much of a stretch for a pulp adventure movie. It's perfectly acceptable to me. Many great movies have exaggerated the rules of physics in the past, which I think is different from disregarding the rules of physics completely.

Yeah, I've never really had a problem with that scene. And don't forget, this is a series of films that have featured melting nazis, invisible bridges, immortal knights, mind control, and a little boy competently driving a car.

Top Bottom