• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

There's also Jeff Jensen, who won an Eisner for his writing on "Green River Killer." And it's not like Brad Bird is any slouch at writing himself. It's not like Lindelof writes a screenplay and then it gets made totally unchanged. Those three are collaborating on the screenplay for 1952, not waiting for Lindelof to dash off a script so they can rubber stamp it and run in front of a camera.

Of course Bird isn't a slouch at writing himself. He's a fantastic writer. My point is that he hasn't had enough influence on the script to earn a writing credit and that is majorly disappointing.

Of course Bird isn't a slouch at writing himself. He's a fantastic writer. My point is that he hasn't had enough influence on the script to earn a writing credit and that is majorly disappointing.

The credits aren't anywhere close to locked yet. It's entirely possible that, by the end of production, both he and Jensen get writing/story credits of some sort.

And there's MULTITUDES of movies wherein the writers who affected the screenplay the most go uncredited - be they script doctors, the director, the producer, or the actors themselves.

Whedon would be a nice choice but won't he be occupied with Avengers 2, which releases in the same year?

Blomkamp currently has Elysium to get out the door, after that he's free. I would have thought that like, Duncan Jones, he would have wanted to do "his own thing" for a couple of movies. But he was said to be really interested in Halo before that went to shit, so that interest may carry him over to Star Wars. Think Disney/LucasFilm may view him as "risky" though.
Elysium box office preformance might be the deciding factor if Disney offers him the job. They aren't going to hire anybody who hasn't had the handle of a major blockbuster before. I suspect Elysium will be high profile enough to give him that credibility. Same thing with Cuaron and "Gravity".

Timbuktu

I don't really know why noone has even considered Rupert Wyatt. He just turned around an old tired sci fi franchise and isn't busy at the moment.

Elysium box office preformance might be the deciding factor if Disney offers him the job. They aren't going to hire anybody who hasn't had the handle of a major blockbuster before. I suspect Elysium will be high profile enough to give him that credibility. Same thing with Cuaron and "Gravity".

Disney's hiring somebody before Elysium releases.

Puddles

Banned
I wonder how much they're going to shit on the expanded universe. Since these aren't prequels, it seems like they're definitely going to take place post-Empire, which is going to invalidate a lot of great stories in the SW universe.

They should go for it. The main series mostly turned to shit aside from the Thrawn trilogy and some of the X-Wing stuff.

Screenboy

Brad Bird not directing Episode VII

9ZXHD.png

FoneBone

Blomkamp makes little sense aesthetically, and he'd sacrifice a tremendous amount of the creative control he's had on the first two films by taking the gig. I doubt it.

jtb

Banned
Wyatt's an interesting choice, I thought the new Apes was good, but... eh. I really hate this targeting of directors that have handled a blockbuster before. Really limiting.

Like, Verbinski... ugh. Joe Johnston as a choice just screams conventional and mediocre. And Whedon is terrible too.

Holding out hope for Cuaron, but I don't know if they'd approach him or if he'd even take the job.

Has the Trevorrow rumor gotten debunked already?

Really liked Safety Not Guaranteed and a combination of that tone + writing from a Pixar guy would get me pretty enthusiastic about this compared to how I am now. Could be a cool direction to go.

Surprised they haven't given it to the Huntsman guy.

Wilbur

Banned
Wyatt's an interesting choice, I thought the new Apes was good, but... eh. I really hate this targeting of directors that have handled a blockbuster before. Really limiting.

Like, Verbinski... ugh. Joe Johnston as a choice just screams conventional and mediocre. And Whedon is terrible too.

Holding out hope for Cuaron, but I don't know if they'd approach him or if he'd even take the job.

True to an extent but it proves he can do it; Star Wars is a completely different kettle of fish than the Apes franchise of course, but Rise had balls, it was different and most importantly it was good. I can't really think of any stand outs unless they go very left field.

Johnston and Verbinski would both be awful choices.

jtb

Banned
True to an extent but it proves he can do it; Star Wars is a completely different kettle of fish than the Apes franchise of course, but Rise had balls, it was different and most importantly it was good. I can't really think of any stand outs unless they go very left field.

Johnston and Verbinski would both be awful choices.

Give it to Mendes, make sure Deakins tags along for the ride. I'd watch that.

Frank Marshall said earlier this week they've got it narrowed down to two people.

I'm betting the two are:

Jon Favreau - Disney likes the guy, he's good at spectacle, and can bring an element of fun to the film (Iron Man, Zathura, Cowboys & Aliens)

Joe Johnston - Worked with Kennedy, Designed large parts of the Original Trilogy, has similar genre successes on his resume. (Rocketeer, Captain America, Jurassic Park III)

Moon was a really different take in SCI Fi, he's more known for quirky, out there takes on the genre.

What? Moon wasn't a different take on sci-fi at all. If anything, every part of its luster came from it harkening back to sci-fi films from the seventies like Alien and Solaris. He made a decent movie by smartly using his 5mil budget.

Source Code had him cater more to the Commercial Audience™ with disappointing results.

Duncan Jones isn't even close to being an arthouse director.

Wilbur

Banned
Frank Marshall said earlier this week they've got it narrowed down to two people.

I'm betting the two are:

Jon Favreau - Disney likes the guy, he's good at spectacle, and can bring an element of fun to the film (Iron Man, Zathura, Cowboys & Aliens)

Joe Johnston - Worked with Kennedy, Designed large parts of the Original Trilogy, has similar genre successes on his resume. (Rocketeer, Captain America, Jurassic Park III)

Both would just... I don't know. Enough people liked the Avengers that the new episodes will probably have a similar tone, but I thought it was boring as fuck because it was so safe and predictable.

Favreau is a competent director but I know exactly what his Episode 7 would be like and that's the problem. I suppose as a 19 year old I'm not really the target audience for the new film and considering I'm in the minority on Avengers it doesn't really matter. It'll probably be him, so I'll know what to expect from the new episode and not have any hype at all really.

Johnston though... Rocketeer is the only good film he's made.

Dabanton

Just give it to Cuaron his done a Harry Potter film probably the best one imo so he has experience with a big budget tentpole picture. And of studio expectations.

He did the stellar 'Children Of Men' (I don't even have to say anything more about that) He can handle a vast range of different genres and most importantly he can bring a human edge to the film.

If he is on the final list with the like of Joe Johnston and Jon Favreau he needs to prevail.

CorvoSol

the next Jar Jar Binks
9662979_gal.jpg

but then we learn that mankind is the real monster
Captain+Vidal+24.jpg

Say what you will, but Vidal truly was the most terrifying aspect of that movie. Good God, when the above monster is LESS SCARY than the human being, you've done something brilliant.

Anyway, this hype is going to backlash so hard.

Just give it to Cuaron his done a Harry Potter film probably the best one imo so he has experience with a big budget tentpole picture. And of studio expectations.

He did the stellar 'Children Of Men' (I don't even have to say anything more about that) He can handle a vast range of different genres and most importantly he can bring a human edge to the film.

Waste of talent.

Anything other than Star Wars would be a waste of talent

Nope. The last thing I would want is for Cuaron to waste his time doing blockbuster franchise fare now. HP3 was his necessary stepping stone for higher budgets. No need to go back. He's better than these sequels which - if we're being honest here, aren't finally being made because anybody thought there was a story that needed to be told, but because HOLY SHIT WE FINALLY HAVE THE MONEY-PRINTING PRESS.

JdFoX187

Banned

I'm betting the two are:

Dear God no! Please no! Jon Favreau is competent, but completely uninspired in every directing aspect. His movies have no soul. There's just no feeling in them, which is the opposite of what Star Wars needs. His attempt would be more sterile than the prequels.

Joe Johnston is a fucking hack of the lowest order and would ruin these movies. He'd make The Phantom Menace look as good as Empire Strikes Back. The man can't shoot with a proper staring script, he has no imagination and is worse than Bret Ratner as a "yes, man" director. It wouldn't even be entertainingly bad. It'd just be fucking bad.

There's no fucking hope for these movies if these two guys are the lead directors.

jtb

Banned
Nope. The last thing I would want is for Cuaron to waste his time doing blockbuster franchise fare now. HP3 was his necessary stepping stone for higher budgets. No need to go back. He's better than these sequels which - if we're being honest here, aren't finally being made because anybody thought there was a story that needed to be told, but because HOLY SHIT WE FINALLY HAVE THE MONEY-PRINTING PRESS.

I imagine the turnaround for a film like this would be pretty quick. It doesn't necessarily have to be a choice between getting a good Cuaron movie and a Cuaron-directed Star Wars movie. Even if I agree he is too good for the standard they're aiming for (which, if they're going after directors like Johnston and Favreau, is clearly only marginally better than the prequels).

Either way, that shouldn't be a reason not to pick Cuaron. He's not going to keel over and die in three years and we only get one or the other.

I imagine the turnaround for a film like this would be pretty quick. It doesn't necessarily have to be a choice between getting a good Cuaron movie and a Cuaron-directed Star Wars movie. Even if I agree he is too good for the standard they're aiming for (which, if they're going after directors like Johnston and Favreau, is clearly only marginally better than the prequels).

Either way, that shouldn't be a reason not to pick Cuaron. He's not going to keel over and die in three years and we only get one or the other.

Of course not. But what I'm saying is that I would rather have an original Cuaron film than a Star Wars film from Cuaron. Any day of the week.

Hindle

Banned
Hmm Rupert Wyatt is unlikely to be in the frame, he's directing a project called Agent 13. Whether that falls through or not remains to be seen.

Slime

Banned
There's also Jeff Jensen, who won an Eisner for his writing on "Green River Killer." And it's not like Brad Bird is any slouch at writing himself. It's not like Lindelof writes a screenplay and then it gets made totally unchanged. Those three are collaborating on the screenplay for 1952, not waiting for Lindelof to dash off a script so they can rubber stamp it and run in front of a camera.

Jensen is co-writing a movie with Lindelof? That's hilarious. Like the ultimate fanboy dream scenario.

Alright, I'm just going to say what everybody is obviously thinking, but too afraid to say:

Rob Reiner.

Now that we've got our lead actor out of the way, who should direct?

Do you guys think Disney can make Star Wars a bigger franchise than it already is? I mean, do you think the new movies have a shot at being Avengers kind of successful?

Top Bottom