• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

jtb

Banned
Never heard of this hate for Ryan Gosling. I guess he made it. Watch Half Nelson.

He's been phoning in it for the past couple movies. Well, phoning it in is probably a bit harsh, but he's definitely been playing a certain type and hasn't strayed out of a pretty small acting range lately, which makes his recent performances a bit dull. But if it pays the bills, then good for him.

yGXZpQR.jpg

John Noble would be amazing casting for anything.

Fixed that for you.

He was a pretty crappy Denethor. Not his fault though, Peter Jackson botched the role. Noble did the best with what he had.

Noble did what he could with what he got.

Lately I look at Denethor as FRINGE SPOILER
Walter Bishop crossed over to that dimension and got stuck there, and went mad over the loss of his son there as well.

Busty

Banned
I don't see Gosling taking a role in this. Remember when Lucas courted DiCaprio for months to star in the prequels only to see him (wisely) pass? I imagine that this is the exact same thing.

No way Gosling jumps onto the Disney/Star Wars banner when he's working hard to make some really interesting choices and even directing his first film. I call shennanigans on the whole thing.

But in saying that I can see Effron being in the film. He'd be a great fit and his image/brand totally fits Disney. And I think that's something people need to remember. This is Disney's Star Wars now.

The real news here is that Leonardo DiCaprio is going to be in the Robotech movie. HOLY FUCK WANT NAOW

YUP. This is more interesting to me than anything Star Wars related I've heard recently. I know that the studio are really keen on the project but I assumed that since Pacific Rim didn't really take off the way man hoped the project might have stalled.

With DiCaprio involved this is obviously not the case. All they need is a really interesting director and this could be a sci-fi film series for the ages.

ehhhhhh wtf. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd probably prefer Efron in here over Gosling.

Agreed. I like both actors but I feel like Effron brings less 'baggage' with him to the role. But in saying that Effron is actually a good actor with great presence. I don't think for one moment that he's anything like as a bad a choice as some are making out.

People should really judge him by the quality of his work as a whole and not just his time on High School Musical or whatever saccharine Disney crap he started in.

NR1

yGXZpQR.jpg

John Noble would be amazing casting as a new sith for the series.

100% AGREE!

I keep kicking myself for not asking him about this at Dallas Comic Con back in May. I met him twice too!!! He did say that he was heading back to Australia for a new project there. He said he was really excited to finally go home after all these years in the States.

Funny story, he was sitting next to Astrid (Jasika Nicole) and he was telling her about how he was doing a table read for his new project in Australia and he just naturally started reading his lines in his American accent. The producer stopped him and asked if he could try again with his real Australian accent. LOL!

How is Ryan Gosling a shit choice? Or hell, for that matter, Zac Efron?

You rating their acting skills, or you rating their fanbases? Because their fanbases aren't gonna be in the movie.

They're both distracting choices. Will take me out of the movie.

And also I think Gosling has a weak voice. Dude just sounds so timid. Efron I'd be more up for at this point.

inm8num2

Abrams/Kennedy should bring back McDiarmid as one of Palpatine's clones (for anyone who read Dark Empire I/II and Empire's End back in the golden era of EU). :p

Abrams/Kennedy should bring back McDiarmid as one of Palpatine's clones (for anyone who read Dark Empire I/II and Empire's End back in the golden era of EU). :p

He will be back, but not like that licensed fanfic. That's all getting tossed.

He'll probably be a ghost, interfering with Luke's protege/kid.

inm8num2

He will be back, but not like that licensed fanfic. That's all getting tossed.

He'll probably be a ghost, interfering with Luke's protege/kid.

They should do it T2 style and have the Emperor's spirit come back as a figure of good to protect Luke & Leia's progeny from dark forces.

j/k

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
They're both distracting choices. Will take me out of the movie.

And also I think Gosling has a weak voice. Dude just sounds so timid. Efron I'd be more up for at this point.

Good thing Mark Hamil had such a strong voice.

Cheerilee

Mark Hamill looks so grumpy in that picture.
Looks a lot like Lee Majors, if you ask me.

Jesus thats an old looking crew.

The makeup artists gonna have their work cut out for them with Hamil and Fisher.
They don't need makeup to look "not old". Looking old can work in their favor.

Carrie Fisher, for example, probably needs to look like a Queen. Have you seen Queen Elizabeth lately? It's all in the wardrobe.

jon noble (who was great as denethor), benedict cumberbatch and karl urban are the only abrams' castmembers that i'd be really cool with seeing in here.

although benedict probably won't do it since he's already being a bit typecast already.

Xamdou

jon noble (who was great as denethor), benedict cumberbatch and karl urban are the only abrams' castmembers that i'd be really cool with seeing in here.

although benedict probably won't do it since he's already being a bit typecast already.

Yeap an actor from JJ's previous films will definitely appear in SW: Ep 7. But it would be so odd if a Star Trek star makes an appearance in JJ's Star Wars lol.

Edit: Double post, sorry guys it's late :/

I can't even imagine what it'll be like across the web when that first image of Hamill back in Jedi gear (hopefully complete with badass beard) or Ford & Chewy in the cockpit of the Falcon drop.

I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, but just thinking about it is enough to get my hype through the roof.

I think they'll kill Han.

Hell, I think they'll blow up the Falcon. Or severely damage it, leaving the leads of this trilogy to fly around a modified version of it for the rest of the movie.

With Kasdan involved, I think Han is more likely. Didn't Kasdan and Ford want Han to die at the end of ESB?

don't know about Kasdan, but Ford definitely wanted that.

Then he wanted Han to get killed blowing up the force-field station (or whatever) on Endor in RotJ.

Lucas was like "Naww. You'll be dancing with Ewoks by the end and that's that.", followed by NubNub.

With Kasdan involved, I think Han is more likely. Didn't Kasdan and Ford want Han to die at the end of ESB?

It was Jedi, actually. But yeah, they both fought hard to get Lucas to allow it, and Lucas wouldn't budge.

edit: The Han death scene was supposed to be Death Star II. He wasn't going to be killed on Endor. Basically - instead of Lando flying the falcon, it would be Solo.

Even then, Lando was supposed to die at one point, and they rewrote that, too.

It was Jedi, actually. But yeah, they both fought hard to get Lucas to allow it, and Lucas wouldn't budge.

edit: The Han death scene was supposed to be Death Star II. He wasn't going to be killed on Endor. Basically - instead of Lando flying the falcon, it would be Solo.

Even then, Lando was supposed to die at one point, and they rewrote that, too.

Well, Lucas gave up control, so we'll see how much Disney respects his vision. Disney isn't afraid to kill Bambi's mother, what is Han?

It's not really a Disney thing. It's a Kathleen Kennedy/JJ Abrams/Michael Arndt thing.

I can absolutely see Abrams crippling the Falcon and killing Han as a means to provide a reason for the new leads to be SUPER motivated to take down the bad guy, whoever that is.

It's not really a Disney thing. It's a Kathleen Kennedy/JJ Abrams/Michael Arndt thing.

I can absolutely see Abrams crippling the Falcon and killing Han as a means to provide a reason for the new leads to be SUPER motivated to take down the bad guy, whoever that is.

The Kathleen Kennedy connection with Lucas is the only thing that worries me. She was hired by him and they are friends.

Top Bottom