• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Just now catching up on all the news and rumors that are surrounding this movie so far. So Palpatine force ghost is pretty much a given at this point right? Ian Mcdiarmid is certainly up there in years but I'd still love to see him portray the character again and with a decent director this time.

It's been a given as far back as the time when everyone "knew" there would be no more Star Wars.

Robbler

Banned
Just now catching up on all the news and rumors that are surrounding this movie so far. So Palpatine force ghost is pretty much a given at this point right? Ian Mcdiarmid is certainly up there in years but I'd still love to see him portray the character again and with a decent director this time.

McDiarmid kind of debunked it the other day. Said he hasn't been spoken to about Ep7 at all and believes they'll be using an original villain.

DjRoomba

Banned
Using Palpatine in the new trilogy is as stupid as using Magneto as the villain in every original X-Men movie or re-using Lex Luthor all the time for Superman. They need to move on (imo).

Is there going to be a 3rd Death Star as well?

its not a superhero movie. Dont get it twisted

I'm starting to think what I heard was a lot of snow and no real signal. It's almost 5pm and nothing other than the rumor of people MAYBE having READ for a part.

What I'd heard:

Big announcement this afternoon. Either Deadline/The Wrap/THR/Variety, or Disney themselves would make it. Would include major casting news - multiple characters.

That's likely the same rumblings/whisperings that LatinoReview is referencing in that one paragraph I quoted above.

But afternoon's pretty much over, and a lot of places are closing for the day here on the west coast, so... I dunno.

Robbler

Banned
What I'd heard:

Big announcement this afternoon. Either Deadline/The Wrap/THR/Variety, or Disney themselves would make it. Would include major casting news - multiple characters.

That's likely the same rumblings/whisperings that LatinoReview is referencing in that one paragraph I quoted above.

But afternoon's pretty much over, and a lot of places are closing for the day here on the west coast, so... I dunno.

The Ben Affleck Batman news didn't break until about 45 min from now. 6pm Pacific.

I'd be okay with Palpatine Ghost...just don't want that "Family of Clones" business. I dislike the idea that force power can be transmitted to clones or whatever. If it's part of the EU fine but would prefer it away from the films.

I'd be okay with Palpatine Ghost...just don't want that "Family of Clones" business. I dislike the idea that force power can be transmitted to clones or whatever. If it's part of the EU fine but would prefer it away from the films.

I believe fully that this was why the midichlorians were introduced. If we see midichlorians as analogous to mitochondria, the latter are not transferred during cloning.

Would have explained why Sidious didn't make a clone army of force users. Maybe out of a million clones, the Force would choose one to give power to. Better to use a Forceless bad-ass as the template, in that case.

Which in turn would have made the Palpatine/Sidious thing more plausible, if the kindly politician was just some Forceless, ignorant clone to be used as a Trojan horse by Sidious.

Also, would have combined the decoy plot of TPM with the clone plot of AOTC.

As it is, midichlorians are reviled because they are entirely superfluous without some sort of pay-off.

DjRoomba

Banned
I believe fully that this was why the midichlorians were introduced. If we see midichlorians as analogous to mitochondria, the latter are not transferred during cloning.

Would have explained why Sidious didn't make a clone army of force users. Maybe out of a million clones, the Force would choose one to give power to. Better to use a Forceless bad-ass as the template, in that case.

Which in turn would have made the Palpatine/Sidious thing more plausible, if the kindly politician was just some Forceless, ignorant clone to be used as a Trojan horse by Sidious.

As it is, midichlorians are reviled because they are entirely superfluous without some sort of pay-off.

gXlaI0B.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They haven't really officially announced anything about the movie, besides Abrams and Arndt, right?

mrkgoo

If we see midichlorians as analogous to mitochondria, we wouldn't see them passed on by the father.

I mean, was each sperm cell carrying a slew of midichlorians or something? It makes no sense.

I don't want to create a new thread so I'll just ask here: How much better does the Clone Wars get? I tried watching the movie a few times and found it aggressively boring. I know the show gets better, but is it worth sticking with it even though I think the movie is bad?

Robbler

Banned
I don't want to create a new thread so I'll just ask here: How much better does the Clone Wars get? I tried watching the movie a few times and found it aggressively boring. I know the show gets better, but is it worth sticking with it even though I think the movie is bad?

The show gets really good in the last third of season two.

What I'd heard:

So, any chance this may hit today instead?

the movie was one of the worst parts. Its meant to be bite size 20 min anthology series but the movie takes the original pilot mini series and made it one long movie.

Yeah, Gosling's said for awhile now that he wants to take some time off. He's directing a movie (or just finished shooting it) and then he's kinda just staying low-profile for awhile.

He doesn't want people getting sick of him - and he doesn't want to get sick of himself, either.

Taking a job in Star Wars would be essentially the opposite of that.

Yeah, Gosling's said for awhile now that he wants to take some time off. He's directing a movie (or just finished shooting it) and then he's kinda just staying low-profile for awhile.

He doesn't want people getting sick of him - and he doesn't want to get sick of himself, either.

Taking a job in Star Wars would be essentially the opposite of that.

Still its crazy to think of anyone turning this project down, I mean this is for life.

Robbler

Banned
Wait, what's wrong with Thrawn? He'd be such an awesome antagonist.

Anyways I wouldn't mind seeing some Yuuzhan Vong war era stuff. I felt like that was a really interesting and intimidating threat. Probably be hard to keep it PG 13 though.

The movie is set 30-40 years after Return of the Jedi. The Thrawn thing was five years later. It's going to be an original story.

Two thoughts on this:
a) Possibly kind of awesome in retrospect, considering a voiceover of his (from STID) is featured in one of the more popular (and earliest) fan trailers for Episode 7.
b) Thrawn. He'd be perfect.

Top Bottom