• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

GhaleonEB

I think this is a new pic of Luke on location in Ireland? From this article.
star-wars-film-production-ireland.jpg

EDIT: Actually, I think I can see JJ in that pic standing behind the guy holding the boom pole, so it's probably not a pic from VIII. Still haven't seen the pic before.

It's definately JJ from the Episode VII shoot. They put out a promotional video for Ireland in January, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnGRTATRdg

Here's JJ in that video, with the same hat and shirt as in the pic, but with a jacket on as well (1:20 in the video):

JJ1_zpsl39mskjb.png

And here he is without the jacket, matching outfit in the original picture (same hat, shirt, and hair, from 1:26):

JJ2_zpshshgbreg.png

I would definitely say I'm more interested in the question of "Why was Rey dumped off in the middle of no where?" than "Who is Rey?". Honestly, I think that's going to become the real focus anyway, which is actually a reason why I think she is a Skywalker. Her being a Skywalker would be both obvious and easy to digest, so I think leaving the question open for now is more of a misdirection, with the big revelation being something else entirely. The reveal of her lineage would just be used as the segue into that.

Personally, my theory is that Rey is Luke's daughter, but Luke didn't hide her to protect her from Snoke/Kylo. I think he's genuinely scared of her potential, so he attempted to send off far away from the conflict to keep her from ever realizing her potential. Which I think ties in nicely to a lot of what is seemingly established by TFA. The way I see it, Rey seems set up for a fall to the dark side, what with her very rapid accumulation of powers and her extremely aggressively fight against Kylo (that seemed like it would have ended with a kill shot had the land not separated - something somewhat backed up by the novelization, IIRC).

I think they're also setting up for Kylo "falling" to the light side in VIII, what with his struggle keeping to the Dark Side, so the two will trade places (I'm thinking during VIII), but Rey will still remain the focal point of the series. All of which I feel opens up for a lot of interesting possibilities.

I think if anything I'm more 'team no-one'. But these are fascinating ideas that could give us a lot of 'meat' for the upcoming films. Whatever the case, it's crazy the difference between this new trilogy and the prequels (which had their own strengths, in fairness). We actually have characters to chew on and wonder about in between films. Lineage in itself isn't necessarily important to character of course; but these characters are important, and as a result there are those among us to whom their lineage is an important point of discussion.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Once the actual cast starts appearing in these photos, I'm probably nope-ing the hell outta here.

I wish

Surfinn

Not until I get my first Star Wars shaky-cam fisticuffs scene
xkVAjE.gif

motherfucker

Oh god, I thought we might be done with shaky cam now that JJ isn't directing. Though I'm glad it was used sparingly in TFA.

Though it would be cool to see Finn get into more close combat stuff.

GhaleonEB

Once the actual cast starts appearing in these photos, I'm probably nope-ing the hell outta here.

I wish
That's the kind of stuff that should probably go over to the community thread, not in here. We shouldn't have to bail on this thread for fear of spoilers.

Oh god, I thought we might be done with shaky cam now that JJ isn't directing. Though I'm glad it was used sparingly in TFA.

Though it would be cool to see Finn get into more close combat stuff.
I don't recall any shaky cam in TFA, at least not used that kind of way (a bit to emphasize ship movement and impacts, etc.) The action was all filmed clearly, the saber fight in particular.

Ridley on VIII:

“Me and Mark have been rehearsing a lot, it’s really amazing because when we went back to Skilleg to do the opening of VIII, it was so crazy doing the same scene with a different crew of people, but he’s (Mark) amazing to rehearse with and I’m very excited to do the rest of the stuff. It’s such a good story, seriously, Luke is so cool in this one, really!”

Luke to kick ass confirmed.

really intrigued to see just how powerful luke is now.

the shit they did with the force and kylo ren's introduction (that blaster freeze....neo style) looked cool. luke can probably do that to like an army of them now.

i hope he goes inventive with it in this film.

It may not necessarily start directly after, but it does sound like the first scene is in that location either way.

"doing the same scene with a different crew" is what makes me thing it may be directly after.

She could just be referring to the same locale and a similar scene but it definitely seems like it may start right off.

sphagnum

Banned
A Star Wars film that starts directly after the last one. Can't wait.

I wonder if the whole movie is an immediate continuation or if there will be a time skip after the first scene, which I would assume is Luke and Rey on Ach-to.

The First Order-Republic/Resistance conflict will feel kind of small there's not a few years that pass...

"doing the same scene with a different crew" is what makes me thing it may be directly after.

She could just be referring to the same locale and a similar scene but it definitely seems like it may start right off.

They REALLY don't want the EU to fuck things up. They aint putting no gaps in-between stories like you could fit hundreds of stuff inside the gap of ANH and ESB. That's why the only TFA comic coming out right now is a prequel with Poe who's already an active hero before the movie starts.

NYR94

Would be great if the Episode VIII opening crawl begins with "Five seconds ago, Rey reached out to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker with his lightsaber..."

really intrigued to see just how powerful luke is now.

the shit they did with the force and kylo ren's introduction (that blaster freeze....neo style) looked cool. luke can probably do that to like an army of them now.

i hope he goes inventive with it in this film.

Luke be like:

7p_jCF.gif

I wonder if the whole movie is an immediate continuation or if there will be a time skip after the first scene, which I would assume is Luke and Rey on Ach-to.

The First Order-Republic/Resistance conflict will feel kind of small there's not a few years that pass...

I think a time skip after the opening's likely. Especially with Boyega's comments that Finn's going to have a more action filled role this time around, what with Finn still being in a coma at the end of TFA.

How will they explain Luke looking noticeably in better shape
(less fat)
now than during the filming of TFA?

There has to be a time skip otherwise the text crawl will make no sense.

Would be great if the Episode VIII opening crawl begins with "Five seconds ago, Rey reached out to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker with his lightsaber..."

"Everything that happen in the last movie you just saw, still happen. Finn is still asleep. Luke is still standing there and Rey's arm is getting tired holding out that lightsaber. Its actually getting a little awkward..."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really do hope Luke is more powerful than any other Jedi we've seen yet. He better be able to lift X-wings like they're made out of paper.

sphagnum

Banned
Why throw off tradition like that though? Save that kind of stuff for the spinoff movies. There's nothing to be gained by putting a scene before the scroll.

Surfinn

Opening crawl will be a recap of the first movie?
I'm curious to see how they handle the opening crawl if they truly are continuing where we left off. Will we fly down to their location and continue? I don't see any other way. Beginning with another scene then showing it after would make that moment feel way less important.

I'm guessing opening crawl --> Luke and Rey meeting scenes, maybe he agrees to teach her, gives us context as to why he hid himself away --> Time skip.

Top Bottom