• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

I wonder if the whole movie is an immediate continuation or if there will be a time skip after the first scene, which I would assume is Luke and Rey on Ach-to.

The First Order-Republic/Resistance conflict will feel kind of small there's not a few years that pass...

Kind of agree with this. I like the idea of it following directly but I don't much care for the possibility of the new trilogy taking place over one wacky week. Obviously it could but there is something nice about breathing room between each story.

The thing about it being a direct continuation, if the crawl is the same, is that there wouldn't really be any plot developments to set up in the crawl, and the pan down/whatever transition they do is usually into some kind of action or set up for some kind of action.Now, this could be Luke and Rey training, having a lightsaber sparring match or something, but even then it wouldn't be a direct continuation. I just don't see it picking up right there where it left off.

Unless the crawl goes like this

STAR WARS
Episode VIII
JOURNAL OF THE WHILLS

Anyway...

GhaleonEB

The principal photography announcement video from Lucasfilm showed them filming the exact same scene, with Ridley taking out and extending the lightsaber to Luke. I thought it was to be a flashback, but figured it wasn't that since no Star Wars film has featured flashbacks. But TFA kinda-sorta broke that with the Force visions Rey had. So I think could be in for either a flashback or a lack of time skip.

Maybe this really means they're doing away with an opening crawl since no time has passed. Dun dun DUNNN

-griffy-

Banned
Maybe the first scene of the movie isn't Luke and Rey picking up where they left off, but maybe that's the first Luke and Rey scene of the movie.

What if the movie starts before the end of The Force Awakens, and shows Hux taking Kylo off Starkiller and bringing him to Snoke? Then we pick back up with Luke and Rey continuing the scene from the end of TFA, 10 minutes into the film.

OR

What if the opening of the film is a flashback all about Snoke and Kylo and the massacre of Luke's Jedi training camp? And the opening crawl is actual definitive context for that, explaining how the young son of Han Solo and Leia was seduced to the dark side by Snoke, took up training with Luke, etc., rather than filling in the non-existent gap between films? Like the opening crawl itself is a flashback?

The principal photography announcement video from Lucasfilm showed them filming the exact same scene, with Ridley taking out and extending the lightsaber to Luke. I figured it was to be a flashback, but figured it wasn't that since no Star Wars film has featured flashbacks. But TFA kinda-sorta broke that with the Force visions Rey had. So I think we're in for a flashback or a lack of time skip.

Maybe this really means they're doing away with an opening crawl since no time has passed. Dun dun DUNNN

Well, it can setup new events despite no time having past.

"Rey travels to planet Skilleg to meet Luke...

Meanwhile, General Leia assembles... etc.

Kylo Ren and General Hux return to..."

Pan down to planet Skilleg (what was the name of the planet in the film?).

The opening crawl could be about what Luke's been doing. It doesn't necessarily have to fill in the gap between movies. It could also talk about what Snoke and Kylo are up to. There were things set up at the end of VII that could be talked about.

What spinning helicopter shot?

I dont know what the technical term for that type of 360 shot was at the end of VII but it was pretty lame. Did you see the movie? You don't remember?

GhaleonEB

"Rey travels to planet Skellig to meet Luke...

Pan down to planet Skellig (what was the name of the planet in the film?).

Maybe the first scene of the movie isn't Luke and Rey picking up where they left off, but maybe that's the first Luke and Rey scene of the movie.

What if the movie starts before the end of The Force Awakens, and shows Hux taking Kylo off Starkiller and bringing him to Snoke? Then we pick back up with Luke and Rey continuing the scene from the end of TFA, 10 minutes into the film.

This is a very good possibility and would be a good way to balance establishing new information and retaining a tight continuity.

And yeah, the "helicopter shot" wasn't circling, it was a side to side pan.

I can't really understand all the drama that shot has gotten lol. I liked it.

It was stylistically jarring, IMO. But otherwise well done. (Though it did look a touch silly with Rey standing 30 feet back from Luke, holding out the saber. She's like, I know you can just grab it, I don't need to walk all the way over there. You see the steps I just climbed?!)

The opening crawl could be about what Luke's been doing. It doesn't necessarily have to fill in the gap between movies. It could also talk about what Snoke and Kylo are up to. There were things set up at the end of VII that could be talked about.

I dont know what the technical term for that type of 360 shot was at the end of VII but it was pretty lame. Did you see the movie? You don't remember?

You mean the "take the fucking thematic baton already" scene?

Surfinn

The principal photography announcement video from Lucasfilm showed them filming the exact same scene, with Ridley taking out and extending the lightsaber to Luke. I thought it was to be a flashback, but figured it wasn't that since no Star Wars film has featured flashbacks. But TFA kinda-sorta broke that with the Force visions Rey had. So I think could be in for either a flashback or a lack of time skip.

Meh it's a staple of the series; really don't think he'd go far enough to actually remove the logo and/or the opening crawl it's associated with.

I think he just meant that he was going to continue where we left off, in terms of doing something much different than what we've seen in SW fills films.

Although there is a problem now where it seems like a crawl isn't necessary, so I do get the train of thought.

GhaleonEB

Meh it's a staple of the series; really don't think he'd go far enough to actually remove the logo and/or the opening crawl it's associated with.

I think he just meant that he was going to continue where we left off, in terms of doing something much different than what we've seen in SW fills films.

Although there is a problem now where it seems like a crawl isn't necessary, so I do get the train of thought.

I was joking. If they do want to change up the opening sequence, they'd do it with the anthology films, not the saga ones.

It was stylistically jarring, IMO. But otherwise well done. (Though it did look a touch silly with Rey standing 30 feet back from Luke, holding out the saber. She's like, I know you can just grab it, I don't need to walk all the way over there. You see the steps I just climbed?!)

I don't think it was really meant to be a "come get your lightsaber" thing, but rather something more like... "look what I have," as though Rey holding it out to him is her saying that she's there and ready to begin something. I thought it was purposefully theatrical but I guess I can see how someone wouldn't love it. I guess I just like big grand things in movies, even if they're not 100% realistic. I think Luke looking at it and Rey holding it out was Luke contemplating a lot and making some kind of decision-- again, more theatrical than realistic, and intentionally dramatic.

Surfinn

"Rey travels to planet Skilleg to meet Luke...

Pan down to planet Skilleg (what was the name of the planet in the film?).

Yup, this us what I'm thinking too. Just hope it doesn't feel less episode-ish without a time skip.

I really dont like this. Meh. In Star Wars, tradition is very important for me and I really dont like this big changes...

There never has been a set amount of time necessary between episodes though. It's not like it's breaking from an 'every three years' tradition or something. Is this what you're talking about? What tradition is being changed?

I really dont like this. Meh. In Star Wars, tradition is very important for me and I really dont like this big changes...

Seems a tad early to judge it yet. Personally I'd have found it quite disappointing if we didn't get to see Rey and Luke's first conversation after that ending.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There never has been a set amount of time necessary between episodes though. It's not like it's breaking from an 'every three years' tradition or something. Is this what you're talking about? What tradition is being changed?
That we jump from one movie directly in the other without a timeskip?

Kuros

Chances of a main line film not having the crawl = 0. I'm sure Disney will give Rian some leway but not on that.

I can see them changing up on the anthology films perhaps though.

Anthology movies will very likely have a different opening style, yeah. I can't see them not wanting to use that opportunity to create something new. But it should be there in the main episodes.

Name of the film and the crawl should be sufficient enough for the anthology films. The video games have been doing it that way for years.

I don't expect to see much change.

Then again, it is an opportunity to do something different.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Name of the film and the crawl should be sufficient enough for the anthology films. The video games have been doing it that way for years.

I don't expect to see much change.

Then again, it is an opportunity to do something different.
Re: Anthology openings - I think a perfect balance would be something like the EA Battlefront opening.

Classic main theme+title for several seconds then get right into it.

82Xq25.gif

I think it will open with Finn and Poe on some kind of mission.

Id be surprised if the conversation between Rey and Luke is shown. I think we'll see some Dagobah Yoda in him. We'll find out Reys been doing a bunch of mundane shit being preached to about patience by a seemingly insane Luke.

I think it will open with Finn and Poe on some kind of mission.

Id be surprised if the conversation between Rey and Luke is shown. I think we'll see some Dagobah Yoda in him. We'll find out Reys been doing a bunch of mundane shit being preached to about patience by a seemingly insane Luke.

While the scene could potentially be deleted, we already know they shot a continuation of TFA's ending. Unless they planned on 30 more seconds of staring for... some reason (?), and then just do a time skip (which would be weird and pointless to say the least), they definitely have a follow-up conversation scripted and planned.

The opening to the next film is clearly a bit problematic! I don't think any time should have passed at all, because the events that closed EpVII were too macro, too 'live', to move far beyond from. The first encounter between Luke & Rey, having already begun, is not something we can really miss the rest of.

On the other hand the normal opening is a crawl which sets up an opening scene which begins with a swooping space shot. We can easily have that ... But how to then go back to Luke and Rey? I can't imagine this making narrative sense, from a lay point of view.

Unless there are bright ideas on the subject, I think we either start without the usual fanfare (which is unthinkable really), or we start a few months after the end of EpVII. Which is also unthinkable, but imo less so. Leaving aside that it contradicts reports from the current shoot.

watershed

Banned
I want the opening crawl to forever be a part of mainline SW films. I want a time skip so that we aren't picking up right where 7 left off. I like that SW always drops us off into a new context at the beginning of each film. I especially like the idea that 8 should open with a scene dealing with other characters like Finn and Poe before taking us back to Rey.

The opening to the next film is clearly a bit problematic! I don't think any time should have passed at all, because the events that closed EpVII were too macro, too 'live', to move far beyond from. The first encounter between Luke & Rey, having already begun, is not something we can really miss the rest of.

On the other hand the normal opening is a crawl which sets up an opening scene which begins with a swooping space shot. We can easily have that ... But how to then go back to Luke and Rey? I can't imagine this making narrative sense, from a lay point of view.

Unless there are bright ideas on the subject, I think we either start without the usual fanfare (which is unthinkable really), or we start a few months after the end of EpVII. Which is also unthinkable, but imo less so. Leaving aside that it contradicts reports from the current shoot.

It's really not that hard to pull off. Here's what I could see happening:

Start with the crawl, then tilt down to the wreckage of Starkiller base. To the left we see the Falcon and the Resistance make the jump to hyperspace. Pan right and we see a First Order command shuttle leaving the wreckage in the opposite direction. Cut to the interior of the ship and we see Hux arguing (respectfully as he can) with Snoke via hologram, along with a severely wounded Kylo in the ship. Snoke says something ominous about Luke and/or Rey, and then BAM, hard cut to this.

What if they release the scene as either preview with Rogue One or as a promotional tool next year as part of a Star Wars special on ABC (which would also include a look at "Star Wars Land") about a week or two before EP VIII opens before putting it on Youtube. Then the movie can have it's time skip.

What if they release the scene as either preview with Rogue One or as a promotional tool next year as part of a Star Wars special on ABC (which would also include a look at "Star Wars Land") about a week or two before EP VIII opens before putting it on Youtube. Then the movie can have it's time skip.

I'd say that's remarkably unlikely.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

This sounds so wrong.

Top Bottom