• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Metalmarc

image.jpg

Image Taken from making star wars twitter feed

What do we think of the title

"Order of the Darkside"? From my previous post? Sounds fake?

Shaanyboi

Banned
image.jpg

I mean, all Star Wars titles sound kinda hokey and fake. But Attack of the Clones is the actual name of a movie... and not from, like, the 50's.

I dunno, even if the rumor is baseless, I wouldn't be surprised.

Surfinn

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016...pisodeviii-filming-location-in-dubrovnik.html

Looks like there's some interior production being done as well.. possible spot for a Jedi Temple perhaps?

image.jpg

Wow. That looks amazing, very impressed with the lighting.

As for the rumored name.. was hoping for something a little less generic; but then again, I hated "The Force Awakens" when it was revealed and love it now.

Surfinn

I mean, all Star Wars titles sound kinda hokey and fake. But Attack of the Clones is the actual name of a movie... and not from, like, the 50's.

I dunno, even if the rumor is baseless, I wouldn't be surprised.

The titles have been great so far. Attack of the Clones is the only one that is somewhat iffy, the rest are solid and memorable.

The Phantom Menace in particular is a great one from the prequels.

Crew back here in Ireland prepping for another shoot there around May. Just seeing the story on the evening news here.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2016/0303/772357-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Wow nice, thanks for the report.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The titles have been great so far. Attack of the Clones is the only one that is somewhat iffy, the rest are solid and memorable.

The Phantom Menace in particular is a great one from the prequels.
I remember plenty of people looking oddly at the Phantom Menace. Revenge of the Sith was really just the obvious mirror of Return of the Jedi.

The original movies were throwbacks to old adventure serials. A title like 'The Empire Strikes Back' is something that sounds right out of that classic era. But as the years passed, that connection has faded, and aggressively pulpy titles like that have grown increasingly out of style.

Surfinn

The worst one is "A New Hope". Retcon aside, it's an awful title. Too short and just doesn't stand on its own.

Wait.. what? First I've heard of it. How can you not like that title? How does it not stand on its own? Simple and elegant; gets the point across. A new hope for the fate of the galaxy.

Man.. what titles do you guys even like?

I remember plenty of people looking oddly at the Phantom Menace. Revenge of the Sith was really just the obvious mirror of Return of the Jedi.

The original movies were throwbacks to old adventure serials. A title like 'The Empire Strikes Back' is something that sounds right out of that classic era. But as the years passed, that connection has faded, and aggressively pulpy titles like that have grown increasingly out of style.

Empire isn't a good title today? I get the history and why the titles were created the way they were and are, though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Empire isn't a good title today? I get the history and why the titles were created the way they were and are, though.
I'm saying no one would attempt a title like "The Empire Strikes Back" today outside of Star Wars, and only because of the roots associated with the franchise. Not saying I don't like it, but there's a stylistic clash with movies of today without that old-school serial connection, and Star Wars is pretty much the only franchise tied to that stuff anymore. The closest thing was Rise of the Tomb Raider, and just about everyone I have seen agrees that the title is super awkward.

Rogue One is probably the most modern-sounding title Star Wars has had.

Surfinn

I'm saying no one would attempt a title like "The Empire Strikes Back" today outside of Star Wars, and only because of the roots associated with the franchise. Not saying I don't like it, but there's a stylistic clash with movies of today without that old-school serial connection, and Star Wars is pretty much the only franchise tied to that stuff anymore. The closest thing was Rise of the Tomb Raider, and just about everyone I have seen agrees that the title is super awkward.

Rogue One is probably the most modern-sounding title Star Wars has had.

Yeah, I agree with you. I get the history, you're right. I don't think other franchises could get away with it.

Still love the titles and they hold up incredibly well today, regardless of how they were named.

The Order of the Dark Side is a pretty naff title. Doubt it'll be called that.

Pretty lazy. They can do much better.. so I'm going with "nope" as well.

pringles

The worst one is "A New Hope". Retcon aside, it's an awful title. Too short and just doesn't stand on its own.
The OT titles are all perfect.

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

It's basic 3-act formula right there, even knowing nothing very little about the movies you probably understand in a broad sense how the trilogy plays out just by the titles. Hope -> evil guys strike back -> good guys return to finish the fight.

Now the PT:

The Phantom Menace. What is even the phantom menace? To this day, I don't know.
Attack Of the Clones. Okay, who cares. What clones, why are they attacking?
Revenge of the Sith. Pretty good title.

Looking at the PT titles you don't get a sense of what the trilogy is about at all, except that it ends with Sith doing evil stuff.

The Force Awakens has started this new trilogy out with a good title that both makes sense with the story of the movie and clearly states: this is a new beginning. "Order of the Dark Side" would be an okay follow up title.. but I prefer the titles that signify something happening. Revenge/Return/Awakening/ESB. So I hope and believe it's fake.

Surfinn

The OT titles are all perfect.

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

It's basic 3-act formula right there, even knowing nothing very little about the movies you probably understand in a broad sense how the trilogy plays out just by the titles. Hope -> evil guys strike back -> good guys return to finish the fight.

Now the PT:

Attack Of the Clones. Okay, who cares. What clones, why are they attacking?
Revenge of the Sith. Pretty good title.

Looking at the PT titles you don't get a sense of what the trilogy is about at all, except that it ends with Sith doing evil stuff.

The Force Awakens has started this new trilogy out with a good title that both makes sense with the story of the movie and clearly states: this is a new beginning.

The Phantom Menace is Lord Sidious, although the title doesn't refer to the audience's perspective (we know who he is from the OT) but rather the characters in the film (almost no one knows who he is). It's a confusing title, but I think that's more due to the shitty writing and story more than anything. It still flows nicely.

Revenge is good, I agree.

TFA is a fantastic title, even if I hated it at first (didn't fully grasp its implications).

What about.. The Storm of Darkness? Would be fun to have a place dedicated to guessing titles.

Wait.. what? First I've heard of it. How can you not like that title? How does it not stand on its own? Simple and elegant; gets the point across. A new hope for the fate of the galaxy.

Man.. what titles do you guys even like?

If the film had been released as just "A New Hope" back in 1977 it wouldn't have evoked anything. It doesn't even sound sci-fi. It could have been the title of a romantic drama film or something.

"Star Wars" is so much more badass and evocative. Star. Wars. That gets the point across.

Tookay

Why are people so confused by this? It's referring to the Sith, who are lurking in the shadows manipulating the film's events. If you want to get specific, then it can be taken as referring to Palpatine himself, the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Do we need some Nolan-style exposition at the end of the film explaining the title?

Surfinn

If the film had been released as just "A New Hope" back in 1977 it wouldn't have evoked anything. It doesn't even sound sci-fi. It could have been the title of a romantic drama film or something.

"Star Wars" is so much more badass and evocative. Star. Wars. That gets the point across.

That's why it was released as Star Wars and not as A New Hope (before they realized there would be more movies, therefore more story). It makes sense as a subtitle, or the name of a single episode. It's part of the continuing saga, not the beginning and end. It's episodic content in the form of film.

How does A New Hope not get the point across? Before you watch it, you'd assume there's a struggle which may be resolved with the inclusion of a hero or heroes.

No one said it's a title that works solely as the name of a film with no other context, or as a single film with no other episodes.

In the context of a continual story, it works absolutely perfectly. Couldn't be a better title for EP4.

What on earth would you have called it instead? Star Wars: The Middle of Star Wars?

I've always quite liked The Phantom Menace as a title. The best of the three prequel titles in my opinion. Then again, Attack of the Clones was always going to give it a head start.

Surfinn

Why are people so confused by this? It's referring to the Sith, who are lurking in the shadows manipulating the film's events. If you want to get specific, then it can be taken as referring to Palpatine himself, the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Do we need some Nolan-style exposition at the end of the film explaining the title?

General audiences (non-HC fans) are confused because it's never even explicitly addressed in the film, which is largely due to awful, unfocused writing. If you think about it for a few minutes you can probably put it together, but there are so many other components being juggled in EP1 we forget about the title entirely. It's confusing because the trilogy is SUPPOSED to be focused on Anakin and his development, yet we don't see him until almost midway through and there's a bunch of political nonsense that eats up lots of screentime (which is what the title is based on).

Basically, it's a mess, so audiences get confused about lots of things.

That's why it was released as Star Wars and not as A New Hope (before they realized there would be more movies, therefore more story). It makes sense as a subtitle, or the name of a single episode. It's part of the continuing saga, not the beginning and end. It's episodic content in the form of film.

How does A New Hope not get the point across? Before you watch it, you'd assume there's a struggle which may be resolved with the inclusion of a hero or heroes.

No one said it's a title that works solely as the name of a film with no other context, or as a single film with no other episodes.

In the context of a continual story, it works absolutely perfectly. Couldn't be a better title for EP4.

What on earth would you have called it instead? Star Wars: The Middle of Star Wars?

My point was just that it just doesn't stand on its own, as I said in my first post. All the other titles can stand on their own, yes even the PT titles. ROTS for example was released with "Star Wars: Episode III" in front ot it, but even if you just call it "Revenge of the Sith" it sounds great. Same for all the other titles... except "A New Hope".

I would have called it "Star Wars" because that's its title.

Surfinn

My point was just that it just doesn't stand on its own, as I said in my first post. All the other titles can stand on their own, yes even the PT titles. ROTS for example was released with "Star Wars: Episode III" in front ot it, but even if you just call it "Revenge of the Sith" it sounds great. Same for all the other titles... except "A New Hope".

I would have called it "Star Wars" because that's its title.

I.. don't understand your original point. Do you mean they can stand on their own as if they were the only films and no other episodes had been released (on an individual basis)? Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace can stand on their own more than A New Hope? Really?

Lots of people don't even know who the phantom menace is or even who the clones are.

They're all called Star Wars. It's the main title. So you think EP4 should have not had a subtitle? Trying to understand your point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Then these people are morons, when they really missed that big ass exposition part in the middle of the movie where they talk all the time about the clones.

I.. don't understand your original point. Do you mean they can stand on their own as if they were the only films and no other episodes had been released (on an individual basis)? Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace can stand on their own more than A New Hope? Really?

Lots of people don't even know who the phantom menace is or even who the clones are.

They're all called Star Wars. It's the main title. So you think EP4 should have not had a subtitle? Trying to understand your point.

By standing on their own I mean the (sub)titles. The actual names the films were released as. I don't even consider the story.

While the PT films were released as "Star Wars Episode #: (subtitle)", they could just as easily have been released as "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones", and "Revenge of the Sith" without putting "Star Wars Episode" in front of them.

In fact that's how the OT films were released. "The Empire Strikes Back" was officially released in theaters as just that, without "Star Wars Episode V" in front of it. Same for "Return of the Jedi".

"The Force Awakens" has "Star Wars" in front of it, but even if you remove these two words it's a great title.

"A New Hope" on the other hand just doesn't sound great if you don't put "Star Wars Episode IV" in front of it.

IMO.

Surfinn

By standing on their own I mean the (sub)titles. The actual names the films were released as. I don't even consider the story.

While the PT films were released as "Star Wars Episode #: (subtitle)", they could just as easily have been released as "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones", and "Revenge of the Sith" without putting "Star Wars Episode" in front of them.

In fact that's how the OT films were released. "The Empire Strikes Back" was officially released in theaters as just that, without "Star Wars Episode V" in front of it. Same for "Return of the Jedi".

"The Force Awakens" has "Star Wars" in front of it, but even if you remove these two words it's a great title.

"A New Hope" on the other hand just doesn't sound great if you don't put "Star Wars Episode IV" in front of it.

IMO.

That's why it was included only when each film became officially recognized as episodes. Which is why it sounds fantastic as the name of an episode inside of the Star Wars universe. I'm not sure why you're transfixed on whether or not episode titles can be used as film titles, since they've never HAD to stand on their own. I could see what you mean if A New Hope ever had to hold its own as a stand alone title (only in the sense that it's more vague than others, as I still think it would be great on its own), but that's never been the case.

It sounds fantastic and thoroughly delivers the point as the title of an episode. The idea that it may not sound as good as the title of a film is irrelevant since it never had to. It wasn't designed in that way.

So it's a moot point really, which is why I was confused in the first place..

Unless you think it's STILL not a good title as an episode, which is bizarre, IMO.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd want something like

VII: The Force Awakens
VIII: Reign of Dark / The Dark Side
IX: A Song of Ice and Fire
huehue

If it was named Order of the Dark Side, you know everyone would only be able to verbalize it in their best James Earl Jones impression.

pringles

Yeah yeah I know what it's supposed to mean. But it doesn't make it a good title. Menace to what? Naboo? Point is it's too vague and unspecific and unrelated to what the movie should be about; Anakin. I don't think it's a terrible title just in itself, but it would be like if TFA was named Phantom Menace because Snoke is "manipulating events from the shadows". TPM should have been named something like "Prophecy of the Force" or "The Midichlorians Awaken", something related to what the movie's actually about.

Surfinn

Yeah yeah I know what it's supposed to mean. But it doesn't make it a good title. Menace to what? Naboo? Point is it's too vague and unspecific and unrelated to what the movie should be about; Anakin. I don't think it's a terrible title just in itself, but it would be like if TFA was named Phantom Menace because Snoke is "manipulating events from the shadows". TPM should have been named something like "Prophecy of the Force" or "The Midichlorians Awaken", something related to what the movie's actually about.
Although it's pretty easy to understand upon examination, I agree the title should have been different to focus on the importance of Anakin. That or the emperor should have had more obvious of a role in the overarching story and his connection with Anakin.

I'd want something like

VII: The Force Awakens
VIII: Reign of Dark / The Dark Side
IX: A Song of Ice and Fire
huehue

If it was named Order of the Dark Side, you know everyone would only be able to verbalize it in their best James Earl Jones impression.

VIII : Knights of the Order

GhaleonEB

The Phantom Menace is Lord Sidious, although the title doesn't refer to the audience's perspective (we know who he is from the OT) but rather the characters in the film (almost no one knows who he is). It's a confusing title, but I think that's more due to the shitty writing and story more than anything. It still flows nicely.

Revenge is good, I agree.

TFA is a fantastic title, even if I hated it at first (didn't fully grasp its implications).

What about.. The Storm of Darkness? Would be fun to have a place dedicated to guessing titles.

I like that titles to the OT films and TFA are ultimately statements of what the films are about. Ep. IV is about hope rekindled against oppression. Ep. V is about the Empire punching back. Ep. VI is about a Jedi returning to the galaxy. Ep. VII is about a hero's "awakening"; I didn't' like it either initially but in context its perfect.

As you said, Ep. I's writing is awful and the story confused. The Phantom Menace doesn't really mean much in the context of the film and tells you nothing about what the film is really about; it's as much of an enigma as the narrative thread in the film. Attack of the Clones is just as bad, as it's referring to one event at the end of the film, and it was far from the most important thing to happen in that movie. RotS actually works for the same reason Jedi did (poetry!).

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I like the sound of Star Wars: The Storm Knights

Problem is
A. It's a little bit too literal of Rey's vision
B. The fact that storm troopers exist makes it awkward
C. Sounds like an EU novel when you think about it hard enough

Tookay

I like that titles to the OT films and TFA are ultimately statements of what the films are about. Ep. IV is about hope rekindled against oppression. Ep. V is about the Empire punching back. Ep. VI is about a Jedi returning to the galaxy. Ep. VII is about a hero's "awakening"; I didn't' like it either initially but in context its perfect.

As you said, Ep. I's writing is awful and the story confused. The Phantom Menace doesn't really mean much in the context of the film and tells you nothing about what the film is really about; it's as much of an enigma as the narrative thread in the film. Attack of the Clones is just as bad, as it's referring to one event at the end of the film, and it was far from the most important thing to happen in that movie. RotS actually works for the same reason Jedi did (poetry!).

By that logic, The Empire Strikes Back references one event at the beginning of the film, the Battle of Hoth, and that's it.

Plus, I'm not sure how you can say that the clone army being deployed (and thus the Clone Wars beginning) is not the most important thing that happened in the movie. The threat/mystery/usage of the clones runs throughout most of the film, particularly in Obi-Wan's storyline, and the galaxy being at war after generations of peace is the most consequential part of the macro-story: it's the very means by which Palpatine and the Sith rise to power.

Top Bottom