• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Late to this thread so I apologize if this has been discussed to death --

Why in the hell is JJ Abrams not involved with this movie, and what happened to all the amazing screenwriters from the last film? And no one is even the slightest bit concerned about the quality here? I'm honestly just shocked.

These movies are coming out 2 years apart. JJ would be a zombie making these movies back to back. There are a million details to decide on and since reproduction started on 8 over a year ago, he would have basically had to be directing 2 movies at once while he finished 7. It's an impossible task. He is still a producer and it's not like rian Johnson is a scrub director.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Awesome, I appreciate the answers and the reassurance guys. I just don't want another bad Star Wars movie after the last one was just so damned good -- it reignited my love for the franchise.

I also didn't realize a new Star Wars movie was coming out every year, holy shit. Lol

Because there was no way that JJ could turn around from finishing Episode VII to filming Episode VIII in the timeframe Disney wanted. And Kasdan was not interested in doing another episode; heck, it seems he didn't to even want to write Episode VII until Arndt hit a brickwall with scripting duties.

This movie is, frankly, in better hands with an interesting director like Johnson anyway.

JJ could have done it in the timeframe needed (many directors have managed back-to-back and overlapping projects), it just would have been hard on him. Really, he just didn't want to. He was already going to turn down VII because he had planned to take a break from major productions to spend more time with his family, but his wife wouldn't let him because she knew he would regret it for the rest of his life. He turned down being heavily involved with VIII for the same exact reason. He's already said he regrets it though, because he thought the screenplay was amazing when he read it.

And yeah, Kasdan's done with the Saga. He's already been attached to and working on the Han Solo film for quite a while, so he's got that to focus on. He even passed on doing the prequels back in the day too. He enjoyed doing VII but I don't think he wants to be doing Star Wars forever.

Why in the hell is JJ Abrams not involved with this movie, and what happened to all the amazing screenwriters from the last film? And no one is even the slightest bit concerned about the quality here? I'm honestly just shocked.

But anyway, yeah, as others have said, there's no reason to be concerned about the quality. Kathleen Kennedy and the Lucasfilm story team are still there. Rian Johnson is a very talented filmmaker whom I have full faith in. JJ's kind of floating around, and both him and Kasdan have gushed over Johnson's screenplay for VIII. It will be fine.

If anything, worry about Episode IX. That's being directed by Colin fucking Trevorrow, and he's doing the final screenplay. Sweet Jesus.

Awesome, I appreciate the answers and the reassurance guys. I just don't want another bad Star Wars movie after the last one was just so damned good -- it reignited my love for the franchise.

I also didn't realize a new Star Wars movie was coming out every year, holy shit. Lol

Every year actually. Trading off between Saga films and standalone stories. Who the hell knows what happens after Ep. IX though. I really hope they don't start a 4th Saga trilogy for a long time. At least a decade after IX. Maybe have the rumored Obi-Wan trilogy take the Saga's spot in the cycle until then, lol.

Kasdan turned down working on VIII because he's doing what everyone -- everyone -- has been dying to see ever since 1977. A Han Solo origin story with a young actor replacing Harrison Ford as the famous space smuggler.

JJ could have done it in the timeframe needed (many directors have managed back-to-back and overlapping projects), it just would have been hard on him. Really, he just didn't want to. He was already going to turn down VII because he had planned to take a break from major productions to spend more time with his family, but his wife wouldn't let him because she knew he would regret it for the rest of his life. He turned down being heavily involved with VIII for the same exact reason. He's already said he regrets it though, because he thought the screenplay was amazing when he read it.

And yeah, Kasdan's done with the Saga. He's already been attached to and working on the Han Solo film for quite a while, so he's got that to focus on. He even passed on doing the prequels back in the day too. He enjoyed doing VII but I don't think he wants to be doing Star Wars forever.

But anyway, yeah, as others have said, there's no reason to be concerned about the quality. Kathleen Kennedy and the Lucasfilm story team are still there. Rian Johnson is a very talented filmmaker whom I have full faith in. JJ's kind of floating around, and both him and Kasdan have gushed over Johnson's screenplay for VIII. It will be fine.

If anything, worry about Episode IX. That's being directed by Colin fucking Trevorrow, and he's doing the final screenplay. Sweet Jesus.

Every year actually. Trading off between Saga films and standalone stories. Who the hell knows what happens after Ep. IX though. I really hope they don't start a 4th Saga trilogy for a long time. At least a decade after IX. Maybe have the rumored Obi-Wan trilogy take the Saga's spot in the cycle until then, lol.

Oh I am afraid, very afraid. Good post though man.

I still can't believe they're doing a young Han Solo film, it's just a flat-out horrendous idea.

On one hand, Lord & Miller and the Kasdans are a hell of a team.

On the other hand... Yeah.

Best case scenario, it's a solid movie that I still walk out of saying "... I still really didn't need that."

I still can't believe they're doing a young Han Solo film, it's just a flat-out horrendous idea.

I'm a little cautious myself, but I don't think it's inherently a bad idea. As usual if a good team that has a solid vision executes it well enough it can be fine. I'm not begging for it, but if they do it right I could very well eat my words.

GhaleonEB

On one hand, Lord & Miller and the Kasdans are a hell of a team.

On the other hand... Yeah.

Best case scenario, it's a solid movie that I still walk out of saying "... I still really didn't need that."

When I think about the young Han film, I sort of reflexively recoil. But then I remember the prologue to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, with River Phoenix (RIP) playing young Indy. Which was completely awesome. I never watched much of the Young Indiana Jones series, but I think it was not terrible?

So, my best case scenario is they both nail the casting and the tone the way that film did with young Indy. That's my bar to clear.

Regardless, it certainly is the least necessary of the anthology films we know about so far. I want to see the Star Wars universe expand, not focus on the players we know.

When I think about the young Han film, I sort of reflexively recoil. But then I remember the prologue to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, with River Phoenix (RIP) playing young Indy. Which was completely awesome. I never watched much of the Young Indiana Jones series, but I think it was not terrible?

So, my best case scenario is they both nail the casting and the tone the way that film did with young Indy. That's my bar to clear.

Regardless, it certainly is the least necessary of the anthology films we know about so far. I want to see the Star Wars universe expand, not focus on the players we know.

Part of me keeps coming up with reasons why both the Last Crusade prologue and the Young Indy series are different from this, and while they might be valid reasons, another part of me recognizes the real distinction might be those happened when I was very young/not even born, and this is happening now.

I just... Man. I dunno. I try to be rational about, but no matter what it's hard as hell for me to justify it, even with valid comparisons.

Does anyone think that Disney will immediately follow up on this trilogy with the next one, or will they space them out generationally and instead work on anthology films? And who says that Disney couldn't produce multi film anthology films? They could produce a number of Han Solo films that are self contained like the Indiana Jones films, or they could produce a Han Solo duology or trilogy during the off years.

Maybe a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy, although I'd be more interested if Netflix were to produce a live action series devoted to that timeline.

Does anyone think that Disney will immediately follow up on this trilogy with the next one, or will they space them out generationally and instead work on anthology films? And who says that Disney couldn't produce multi film anthology films? They could produce a number of Han Solo films that are self contained like the Indiana Jones films, or they could produce a Han Solo duology or trilogy during the off years.

Maybe a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy, although I'd be more interested if Netflix were to produce a live action series devoted to that timeline.

It's hard to say what will happen after IX. As I said above, my hopes are that they keep the gap between saga trilogies at least a decade in length, because I think that model works best for Star Wars. Make each trilogy a huge generational event, and have the real-world time reflect the in-universe jumps to new points in the timeline. I really don't want a continuing block of Episodes every two years forever. Whether they do that, who knows. Saga films will always be the biggest moneymakers, so it's possible Disney tries to pressure Lucasfilm into getting straight to work on X-XII immediately after IX is finished. Or maybe they'll see the value in keeping the current model.

I do think they definitely could and would do multi-film anthology projects though. There's an enormous amount of stories to tell in the Star Wars universe (seeing as there's been literally hundreds of them already, canon or not) and surely some of the could warrant multi-film arcs. Especially super exotic stuff like the Old Republic era that's now completely wide-open for all sorts of new stories now that Legends wiped out every story in that period. Hell, with the old EU wiped out they could do all kinds of stuff we've never had any kind of analog to. It's an endlessly expandable universe, there's more to tackle than reimaginings of the EU. Do something crazy like a whole story in the Rishi Maze with unknown factions in an unknown era, whatever. And on the other side, while I'd probably prefer just one Obi-Wan movie, the 19-year gap in his story is definitely something that could easily be turned into a trilogy. And like I was getting at above, it could definitely work as a Saga substitute. He's a Saga character with a lot of story to tell, so something centering on that could potentially fill that niche.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
There wont be more than a few years gap between episodes I believe, they already said as much, though I cant remember the source. This was a couple of years ago so its always subject to change.

There wont be more than a few years gap between episodes I believe, they already said as much, though I cant remember the source. This was a couple of years ago so its always subject to change.

I haven't seen anything regarding post-IX Saga films, aside from vague rumors and ancient stuff that was either tossed out before the prequels or with the sale to Disney. Anyone got anything on this?

Edit: most I could find was Iger saying “[t]here will be more after that. I don’t know how many; I don’t know how often.”

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I haven't seen anything regarding post-IX Saga films, aside from vague rumors and ancient stuff that was either tossed out before the prequels or with the sale to Disney. Anyone got anything on this?

Edit: most I could find was Iger saying “[t]here will be more after that. I don’t know how many; I don’t know how often.”

I might be mistaken, I do remember them saying it doesnt end with 9 and there will be a 10,11,12, add that into the recent comments about there being a star wars film every year, possibly even extending to two and you have to believe their chief franchise within the franchise will be center stage for that.

On a personal note, I wouldnt mind waiting, I think a decade is a decent shout, allow the trilogy to have weight, consequences, a conclusion, allow the fans time to take it all in and then pull out a new one and generate all the buzz again.

I really really dont want Star Wars to become taken for granted.

Rian Johnson will most likely end up being the best thing that ever happened to Star Wars since The Empire Strikes Back. So, chill.

He's a serious filmmaker with a solid track record. Go listen to a few interviews with the man, or more specifically, go listen to the Kevin Smith Podcast where Smith has him on the show to talk about Looper and he talks about his beginnings as a filmmaker and his aspirations.

It's Colin Trevorrow who worries me.

I don't understand people in this thread big upping Rian Johnson. Looper fucking sucked.

Maybe the problem is you suck.

for srs tho, regardless of your feelings on Looper as a whole, I don't think anyone could seriously say it wasn't well-directed. The Brothers Bloom is supposedly pretty solid (never seen it), Brick is supposed to be excellent (also never seen it), and he directed what is widely regarded as the greatest hour of television ever with Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. I know some people found "Fly" boring (I didn't), but either way the direction certainly wasn't a problem. In fact, it's quite brilliant and is the reason why the episode works as well as it does.

He's got a pre-established world to play in, a solid foundation in Ep. VII, the Lucasfilm Story Group to back him up, and all the praise in the world from Kasdan and JJ. Even with Looper aside there's plenty to be happy about with Johnson writing and directing, and any issues you may have with Looper should be alleviated with the circumstances here. He's a talented director/writer with a unique style that approaches things quite differently than others, with an enormous amount of support. He'll be great.

Again, Trevorrow tho. Dude make bank on one shitty movie and he's already playing pretend Cameron. LET'S FILM IN SPACE GUYS

I don't understand people in this thread big upping Rian Johnson. Looper fucking sucked.
Well there's Brick and Breaking Bad so...

Looper and Brothers Bloom are whatever, I want to live in a world where they suck because movies must be pretty good if they're bottom of the barrel.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Brick
The Brothers Bloom
Looper
Breaking Bad

I don't doubt for even one second that Episode 8 will be great with him writing and directing.

[edit]

Never seen Terriers but I hear nothing but good things from that, too.

MrMephistoX

Oh I am afraid, very afraid. Good post though man.

I hope they can his ass or he has a nervous breakdown over creative differences or something. It's not like Disney hasn't booted directors off the project in the past see Ant Man. Truly hope Rogue One surpasses expectations and they persuade Gareth Edwards to do it.

I hope they can his ass or he has a nervous breakdown over creative differences or something. It's not like Disney hasn't booted directors off the project in the past see Ant Man. Truly hope Rogue One surpasses expectations and they persuade Gareth Edwards to do it.

That was a Marvel decision, not a Disney one (and even then, Wright likely wanted out just as much, it was mutual). Unless something serious happened and somehow they beat Kathleen Kennedy to the punch, this would be a Lucasfilm decision.

Honestly, I would be shocked if Trevorrow got the boot. He got Jurassic World made on schedule after a decade in development hell, and that's with him pulling major last minute script revisions. So odds are he's not going to have a spectacular breakdown or anything and fail to meet deadlines. Especially since he's getting way more time to focus on this than JJ or Rian. And I don't see him fighting Kathy, the Story Group, JJ, Kasdan, and Rian's vision(s) hard enough that anyone would want him out over creative issues.

All I can hope for is that Rian gives him a foundation he can't possibly fuck up and the Story Group keeps him in check. Then maybe, just maybe we'll luck out and get something great.

Is there any chance that the Lucasfilm Story Group may decide to adapt some of the more iconic stories and characters into future films? Not outright carbon copies, but rather modified adaptations, for example implementing ideas and characters into the current trilogy for example?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there any chance that the Lucasfilm Story Group may decide to adapt some of the more iconic stories and characters into future films? Not outright carbon copies, but rather modified adaptations, for example implementing ideas and characters into the current trilogy for example?

Well, the female lead of Rogue One has basicly a similar background like Kyle Katarn and they had ships and a planet from KOTOR in Rebels, so it is possible.

I think they'll always be mining the old EU for ideas in some way or another. There's an enormous amount of stuff there and a lot of it is too solid to throw away forever. Most of it will be locked to stuff like new EU and Rebels though, where it wouldn't be as intrusive and there's more room for it, but I think super vague ideas may be reinterpretted in the Saga. I think we'll see basic concepts reused from time to time in the Anthology brand as it grows too.

I think as a whole, when it comes to films, if/when they do it, at most it will be more like the MCU's adaptations of comic arcs: basic concepts and pieces of things reconstituted into something new, but vaguely familiar at times. But fun nods and specific characters might pop up here and there.

Waldini

Rian Johnson on Episode 8 is just great.
Colin Trevorrow on Episode 9 ... I'm ok with that.

Remember guys ... J.J Abrams, Kasdan and everyone who worked on The Force Awakens will make sure that there's no loss of quality (in terms of script, visuals etc) with VIII and IX. Even though J.J isn't directing he still has SOME influence.

Empire Strikes Back was great because it has another director. It still (to this day) feels different yet refreshing. Same thing could happen with the two other sequels. Aslong as Lucasfilm and Disney keep a close eye on everything I'm pretty confident we'll get two more great Star-Wars movies. VII will be hard to top though.

Anyway ... the one thing that'll make me walk out of the cinema is if VIII and IX will kill of any other major OT character. If Luke dies in this one I'll be fucking pissed. That's for sure.

Just let it end with IX. Show Rey, Luke and Ben Solo training new Jedi's. Show Ben Solo has been redeemed (mirroring ROTJ minus the death). That's it. End. Done.

... then focus on Knights of the Old Republic plz. Or Obi-Wan.

tomtom94

The important thing about Trevorrow is that the producers will make him write and re-write that script until it shines, and the crew probably won't let him do anything stupid since they'll have two Star Wars movies under their belt by that point.

Plus, they'll use Johnson's story treatment, and unless I've called it very wrong, Johnson is going to be amazing.

Waldini

The important thing about Trevorrow is that the producers will make him write and re-write that script until it shines, and the crew probably won't let him do anything stupid since they'll have two Star Wars movies under their belt by that point.

Plus, they'll use Johnson's story treatment, and unless I've called it very wrong, Johnson is going to be amazing.

There's not much Trevorrow can do wrong is there? Haha ...

He'll have VII and VIII to work from and all he "has to do" is close the Sequel Trilogy. Wrap everything up. I still don't get it why Trevorrow get's so much hate.

I really liked Jurassic World for what it was. Could the movie be better? Sure. Was it entertaining? Hell-fucking-yes. Again, The Force Awakens made 2+ billion. Expectations are high. I don't expect 8 or 9 to get such glowing reviews.

Rewatched Jurassic World--script is easily the culprit of its flaws, and it has some great moments. However, I still wouldn't say that Trevorrow is necessarily an equal to Abrams or Johnson. It could be his moment to prove himself, I suppose.

-griffy-

Banned
Rewatched Jurassic World--script is easily the culprit of its flaws, and it has some great moments. However, I still wouldn't say that Trevorrow is necessarily an equal to Abrams or Johnson. It could be his moment to prove himself, I suppose.

He's got another movie in the can that comes out later this year, called The Book of Henry. Seems decidedly un-blockbuster/adventure/effects driven, so it'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

Surfinn

He's got another movie in the can that comes out later this year, called The Book of Henry. Seems decidedly un-blockbuster/adventure/effects driven, so it'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

Thanks for this.

My biggest issue with JW is that it has that plasticy everyone-was-done-up-for-twelve-hours-each look that pisses me off. That typical Hollywood sheen.

This has no place in SW films.

Thanks for this.

My biggest issue with JW is that it has that plasticy everyone-was-done-up-for-twelve-hours-each look that pisses me off. That typical Hollywood sheen.

I'd have to think that Trevorrow would be inherit a lot of the same prod/post-prod crew that is working on the three movies.

Mr Cola

I'd have to think that Trevorrow would be inherit a lot of the same prod/post-prod crew that is working on the three movies.

The same crew is on ep8 as was ep7 so there is no reason to believe that will change

TM94

If they're doing all these films

We've got to get an Old Republic one at some point right?

That copies KOTOR beat for beat

Hex

Banned
If they're doing all these films

We've got to get an Old Republic one at some point right?

That copies KOTOR beat for beat

Fuck KOTOR.
Fuck it, piss on it and burn it.

You want to see a whine and bitch fest let an Old Republic movie get announced or made.
Fanboys will brave the light and come scurrying out of the woodwork to complain and be salty about every little thing because it will not be the movie that they want, or that they have in their nostalgia goggles minds.
There would be no winning, no matter how good the movie was.

Fuck KOTOR.
Fuck it, piss on it and burn it.

You want to see a whine and bitch fest let an Old Republic movie get announced or made.
Fanboys will brave the light and come scurrying out of the woodwork to complain and be salty about every little thing because it will not be the movie that they want, or that they have in their nostalgia goggles minds.
There would be no winning, no matter how good the movie was.
Why are you so angry?

Thanks for this.

This bothers me as well, I really doubt that'll translate over to SW with the rest of the creative team behind him. Plus the look has been established in VII

I think they'll always be mining the old EU for ideas in some way or another. There's an enormous amount of stuff there and a lot of it is too solid to throw away forever. Most of it will be locked to stuff like new EU and Rebels though, where it wouldn't be as intrusive and there's more room for it, but I think super vague ideas may be reinterpretted in the Saga. I think we'll see basic concepts reused from time to time in the Anthology brand as it grows too.

I think as a whole, when it comes to films, if/when they do it, at most it will be more like the MCU's adaptations of comic arcs: basic concepts and pieces of things reconstituted into something new, but vaguely familiar at times. But fun nods and specific characters might pop up here and there.

I always took it that the Nolan borrowed fragments of classic Batman lore and made some minor adjustments to them in his Dark Knight films, I wouldn't expect that Lucasfilm would go with strict carbon copies of novels into their films, but they could, for example, use characters from some of the more popular novels if they wanted to.

On a side note, how long do you think it will be before animated shows based on the Force Awakens timeline are produced by Disney?

Top Bottom