• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

I don't think they could get a Rey to the darkside arc done in one film. Not enough time to really do it justice.

The trained Rey and Kylo Ren arc is likely to come to a head though, as I don't see them fighting three times in the trilogy. I don't see Rey having any ability to challenge Snoke either, so Snoke will likely be Luke's responsibility.

We'll need to see how different Snoke is from Sidious to really get an understanding of his motivations. Is he a "I want the strongest apprentice possible" guy like Sidious or is he willing to remain loyal to Kylo Ren regardless of if Rey is the stronger of the two? I think, unfortunately, that he's likely like Sidious in that regard.

I'm mainly afraid of a retread. The similarities to ANH were fine for TFA. I need these next two films to really try to tread new ground though.

TheXbox

I'm still partial to the idea Snoke is twisted enough that his final piece of training for Kylo is "Alright, you're ready. Now kill me."
Everyone knows Snoke is a manipulator. Even Ben knows it. Leia is the last piece of Ben's training, and he won't be able to kill her. Thus begins his two-film redemption arc, suckers

I'm still partial to the idea Snoke is twisted enough that his final piece of training for Kylo is "Alright, you're ready. Now kill me."

Seems plausible. Dude seems old as fuck physically fucked to hell anyway, probably doing him a service, lol.

The TFA bonus features show rough renders of Snoke without his clothing, and man is his body shit.

Sephzilla

From the limited amount of stuff we saw of Snoke in TFA I sort of feel like he's more the "I want to control the galaxy" type more so than the "I want to destroy the Jedi" type, so I don't get the feeling he'd willingly let Ren kill him. Plus we haven't really seen anything in the movies that equates to a dark Jedi apprentice killing his master and then immediately taking his place. And no, I don't count Vader killing the Emperor since that was Vader going to the light side.

One of Han's last messages to Kylo Ren was that Snoke was using him and would turn on him. That should simply make Ren want to kill Snoke fast once Ren feels like he's gotten everything he can learn from Snoke.

Snoke's apparently close to 8ft tall.

Oh? Is that in a novelization or something?

Tookay

Not sure why everybody thinks that Snoke is going to be hologram trickery.

Everything that's been said - from Abrams to Kasdan and Serkis - said suggests that he is what he appears to be: a tall, humanoid alien who is damaged and existed outside the original conflict.

-griffy-

Banned

Everything that's been said - from Abrams to Kasdan and Serkis - said suggests that he is what he appears to be: a tall, humanoid alien who is damaged and existed outside the conflict.

The trickery is that he's not actually 50 feet tall. He's playing a mean Wizard of Oz game.

Sephzilla

wizard-oz-1939-33408.jpg

I believe it was from an interview w/ the FX guys. I think Serkis said something along those lines too?

Ahhhh ok

Went to Target a few minutes ago, heard the guy in electronics going on and on about how it's basically fact that Finn is related to Mace Windu.

Goddammit people.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Doubt we ever see Hayden as Anakin again. Not counting the people who were in the PT and OT, Ewan McGregor is probably the only player from the prequels that they'll bring back.

Well hes not currently in 8, he has said as much, 0 discussions about it

Snoke has got to be pulling something with the giant holograms. Ether that's not what he actually looks like, or hes much smaller then believed.

I like the idea that he's Darth Plagues myself, playing a long con, at first against Palpatine, and now taking a more direct involvement via Kylo. The idea that 'there are always only two sith' seems too rigid a thing for an actual evil mastermind to adhere to.

Kylo wanting to take Rey as apprentice is also kind of interesting, as it conflicts with what Snoke ordered him to do: to bring her to him. It could be that even now, Kylo is wanting to overthrow his master, much in the same way granddad wanted to.

I see no reason to believe Snoke is some tiny man trying to hide is size... to two people he's assuredly had repeated in-person contact with.

He's gonna be big, just not 50' tall.

And nah, he ain't Plagueis. That would be a bit of an unnecessary convolution, and it wouldn't make much sense for the chosen pupil of one of the most powerful Sith ever to uh... not be a Sith.

And nah, he ain't Plagieus. That would be a bit of an unnecessary convolution, and it wouldn't make much sense for the chosen pupil of one of the most powerful Sith ever to uh... not be a Sith.

I mean, I don't really think he's Plagueis, but if he's really been hanging around all these years, who's to say he really wants to still affiliate officially with the Sith at this point?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I see no reason to believe Snoke is some tiny man trying to hide is size... to two people he's assuredly had repeated in-person contact with.

He's gonna be big, just not 50' tall.

But it's already been established in the Star Wars universe (re: the Emperor) that overlords tend to project giant ass holograms to subordinates, having no intent to "hide his size".

It's not much different from having a big screen of the boss at a teleconferencing meeting.

But it's already been established in the Star Wars universe (re: the Emperor) that overlords tend to project giant ass holograms to subordinates, having no intent to "hide his size".

It's not much different from having a big screen of the boss at a teleconferencing meeting.

I know. But I'm referring to the people that say he is tiny and/or is explicitly trying to hide his size. So I'm not sure why you're "correcting" me?

Like I said, he's definitely not the size of the hologram, I'm just saying the size differential won't be as big as some say, or that the difference is to hide his size as others have said. From the comments we've heard, it seems pretty clear he's at least bigger than your average human.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think its potentially not a good thing to overhype who Snoke is, he literally could just be an old bad guy who idolizes the sith, no more, no less.

Its not his story regardless

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, he said he was about 7ft.

But he's also scrawny AF and it looks like this happened to him...

I think he used the dark side to beat Vader in ROTJ but didn't fully embrace it and could control himself. He was just overconfident in ESB.

Luke didn't need the dark side to beat Vader. But his decision to abandon his "Not gonna fight you." stance in the middle of the fight definitely came from a bad place.

GhaleonEB

Snoke probably uses the hologram much as Kylo Ren uses his mask. It's for intimidation and power projection. I'm expecting that to be dialed down in his actual reveal, so as to not mirror Vader/Emperor too much.

Everyone knows Snoke is a manipulator. Even Ben knows it. Leia is the last piece of Ben's training, and he won't be able to kill her. Thus begins his two-film redemption arc, suckers
Luke converts Vader, Leia converts Kylo.

*poetry, it rhymes, yadda yadda yadda....*

In the canon is it known amongst everyone (including the bad guys) that vader turned away from th dark side in the end?

Kylo knows this right? Seeing how he was trained/taught by Luke?

is Snoke actually huge or is that just hologram trickery

expecting some soulsborne boss?

dat grab hitbox.

In the canon is it known amongst everyone (including the bad guys) that vader turned away from th dark side in the end?

Yeah, or at least per the novelization. Snoke says "sentiment" brought down the Empire, or more specifically, Vader's succumbing to emotion and being unwilling to kill his son.

Yes, Kylo knows. In the visual dictionary they mention it. Basically, Abrams and Kasdan have the made the light side feel like a weakness to Kylo. That you can succumb to it in moments of weakness like Vader. I bet Snoke has said something like "Vader was betrayed and finally seduced by the light side of the force."

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Late to this thread so I apologize if this has been discussed to death --

Why in the hell is JJ Abrams not involved with this movie, and what happened to all the amazing screenwriters from the last film? And no one is even the slightest bit concerned about the quality here? I'm honestly just shocked.

TheXbox

Why in the hell is JJ Abrams not involved with this movie, and what happened to all the amazing screenwriters from the last film? And no one is even the slightest bit concerned about the quality here? I'm honestly just shocked.
Rian Johnson is a good filmmaker. VIII is poised to be the best episode of the sequel trilogy. Worry about IX.

The OT had 3 different directors and 3 different screenwriters, the production team is consistent among the new trilogy. I wouldn't worry too much.

Houndi101

Rian Johnson is usually pretty damn good and hell it might be interesting to finally see a single persons take on the screenplay and not half a dozen cooks at the same stove.

Tookay

Because there was no way that JJ could turn around from finishing Episode VII to filming Episode VIII in the timeframe Disney wanted. And Kasdan was not interested in doing another episode; heck, it seems he didn't to even want to write Episode VII until Arndt hit a brickwall with scripting duties.

This movie is, frankly, in better hands with an interesting director like Johnson anyway.

Top Bottom