• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

I'd be cool with just updated versions of the OT ships (TFA's X-Wing has some minor differences). The ships in ROTS weren't that radically different from the ships in the OT either.

They were a lot more different than the ones in TFA. They were obviously designed from similar philosophies, but they weren't just recolored/very slightly changed OT ships.

Can anyone guess when the first episode viii trailer will drop? Is it possible we'll see the first one by Thanksgiving, or will it end up being pushed back till much later because of the impending release of Rogue One?

Can anyone guess when the first episode viii trailer will drop? Is it possible we'll see the first one by Thanksgiving, or will it end up being pushed back till much later because of the impending release of Rogue One?

At the very earliest they'll attach a teaser along the lines of TFA's to Rogue One. It could be later than that though. I really don't see another November teaser release.

And thats the way it should be remembered, because, and this is now my opinion (because I am going against the opinion of other people...) I can only shake my head when people say that this one is supposed to be better then anything of the OT.

Definitely think its better than Jedi. Everything in the Emperor's throne room is great, and Hamill is doing work throughout, but Fisher is terrible, Ford is putting no effort in, its so slow to set up, its script has very little nuance... A 5/10 movie overall, with some very high peaks.

GhaleonEB

Just a note to be preemptive about it - I see a thread about a rumored Ep VIII plot leak. Needless to say any discussion about it should go over to the spoiler thread.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's based on a week old Reddit post with a "debunked" tag. The Guardian is slacking.

Oh. Well then! I'm just getting way out ahead of any actual leaks. :lol

-griffy-

Banned
Just a note to be preemptive about it - I see a thread about a rumored Ep VIII plot leak. Needless to say any discussion about it should go over to the spoiler thread.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's based on a week old Reddit post with a "debunked" tag. The Guardian is slacking.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rey's dad is Chucky.

HqBv2Zc.png

Teaser at Star Wars Convention
Trailer when R1 drops.

The way they chose to withhold anything Rogue One until after the TFA blu was out tells me they're not inclined to have the marketing for one film overlap with another's.

The mockup trailer-thingy they screened solely for about 200 people at a single convention doesn't really count.

You're probably not getting anything Episode 8 until after the Rogue One blu-ray drops.

It looks like April/October are when you should look for teaser/trailer respectively. Movie opens in December. Arrives on video that spring. Rinse/repeat.

Is the fact that they've moved Star Wars to Christmas an indication that Star Wars has faltered as a brand? And no, I'm not being facetious. Why did Disney abandon the summer time release for TFA and continues to so for Star Wars movies going forward? Or has summertime release period become an overrated business practice for films in general?

Is the fact that they've moved Star Wars to Christmas an indication that Star Wars has faltered as a brand?

The three most successful movies of all time were released on the same weekend in December.

So no.

They only went to December in the first place because Abrams needed more time. Iger wanted it Summer 2015. Kennedy/Abrams pushed for December. They won.

You make almost 1 bil domestic? Why would you come off that release date if you didn't have to?

mcfrank

Is the fact that they've moved Star Wars to Christmas an indication that Star Wars has faltered as a brand? And no, I'm not being facetious. Why did Disney abandon the summer time release for TFA and continues to so for Star Wars movies going forward? Or has summertime release period become an overrated business practice for films in general?

Huh? Star Wars will become a new holiday tradition for families and will have almost no competition. Did you seriously just suggest that the biggest domestic and 3rd biggest worldwide movie is faltering as a brand?

obin_gam

Faltered with 2 billion dollars.

I may have worded it wrongly, but why Disney's hesitation to release all subsequent Star Wars movies in May or summertime, given that most big ticket franchises have mainly released during that period?

Would releasing Force Awakens for summer of 2015 or 2016 have dampened its profits because of other competing brands, or was there enough confidence going forward that TFA would do well? What if TFA was being written and directed by George Lucas? Would that have affected its performance?

I may have worded it wrongly, but why Disney's hesitation to release all subsequent Star Wars movies in May or summertime,

Why are you still asking?

Is it "hesitation" to move off a release date that got you 250 mil in a single weekend, and almost 950 mil domestic?

Who wouldn't "hesitate" to stay fuckin' put?

you already have your answer: They moved to December out of necessity. They're staying because they're the 940million pound gorilla now.

Hell, you have CAMERON talking about staying out of Star Wars' way. Why should they move back to summer? What's the point?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I may have worded it wrongly, but why Disney's hesitation to release all subsequent Star Wars movies in May or summertime, given that most big ticket franchises have mainly released during that period?
Quality control
TFA got pushed to December because JJ needed more time with the project, which was already being slowed down by Michael Arndt taking a little too long fleshing out the script

Same thing happened with Rian due to rewrites, but even then, gunning for May 2017 was already tight.

Is it "hesitation" to move off a release date that got you 250 mil in a single weekend, and almost 950 mil domestic?

Who wouldn't "hesitate" to stay fuckin' put?

I've always been curious what the reasons were for Disney choosing December to release TFA, and if it had been so damaged as a brand that they had chosen their December release date to rehabilitate it.

Quality control
TFA got pushed to December because JJ needed more time with the project, which was already being slowed down by Michael Arndt taking a little too long fleshing out the script

Same thing happened with Rian due to rewrites, but even then, gunning for May 2017 was already tight.

Would Disney have enough confidence releasing TFA this summer against other big ticket blockbusters like MCU, Pixar etc.? Without the benefit of foresight coming into play, mind you.
And would they have confidence in releasing Episode VIII on its original summer date in 2017 had they managed to line their ducks in a row? I have no personal investment in how the reasons play out, other than I'm genuinely curious on the business end of things.

bill0527

I've always been curious what the reasons were for Disney choosing December to release TFA, and if it had been so damaged as a brand that they had chosen their December release date to rehabilitate it.

Would Disney have enough confidence releasing TFA this summer against other big ticket blockbusters like MCU, Pixar etc.? Without the benefit of foresight coming into play, mind you.
And would they have confidence in releasing Episode VIII on its original summer date in 2017 had they managed to line their ducks in a row? I have no personal investment in how the reasons play out, other than I'm genuinely curious on the business end of things.

There really is no nefarious reason as to why TFA got delayed. It wasn't out of fear or worry about lining up against another blockbuster. As mentioned, it was simply Michael Arndt working too slow to get the script done. JJ and Kasdan had to step in and rewrite it. That meant it had to be pushed back until Christmas

RedStep

Man, I wish I could fail into that sort of money.

Maybe if another two or three people come in here and separately point this out to our Crackhead here.

Jesus Christ you must be fun to hang out with.

I'm all sorts of fuckin' fun to hang out with.

I mean, you were honestly asking, and not being a facetious little snot, right?

If it's the latter, I dunno what to tell you. Discussions with a crackhead on a gaming forum about stupid Star Wars questions that have already been answered three times might not be the best way to gauge a person's enjoyability in a party atmosphere

GhaleonEB

As Bobby Roberts said, they originally had it scheduled for May, then it was pushed to December because they needed the pre-production time. Then they made over two billion dollars with the largest opening weekend ever, and the largest domestic take ever.

Despite this, Episode VIII was originally still scheduled for May 2017, but it too needed the extra development time ahead of production, so they moved to December, because that worked out pretty well last time around.

You're making summer sound like it's the holy grail for major releases, when (again, as Bobby pointed out), the three largest movies of all time opened in the same slot in December. The same window the Lord of the Rings films and all three Hobbit films also opened at.

The December release is literally the best time they could possibly release it. Competition is thin, schools are out, Christmas Eve and New Years are huge days for theaters, and January is a clear runway for long legs. There are no downsides to Disney taking that slot, and they took it because they had confidence that they would own the holidays with it, which they did.

Also, let's keep it civil.

GhaleonEB

Actually December was never as profitable as summer season, Episode VII created the spot for Episodes VIII and IX.

Here's the total earnings for the 10 best May and Decembers on record. Without looking at the top spot, you can't tell which is which - the totals are only 3% apart, and just 1% apart when including the #1 spot. Both lists are from 2002 onward.

Month 1:
  1. $1,304,988,892
  2. $1,066,703,818
  3. $1,048,794,924
  4. $993,582,900
  5. $960,102,183
  6. $936,536,664
  7. $912,875,352
  8. $904,417,179
  9. $890,891,472
  10. $890,007,420

Month 2:
  1. $1,141,863,462
  2. $1,074,502,436
  3. $1,037,828,456
  4. $1,024,769,493
  5. $1,018,427,704
  6. $1,009,058,686
  7. $955,763,119
  8. $948,101,909
  9. $925,731,617
  10. $917,053,615
December has been on par with May all this time. TFA didn't create the slot - it just kicked it up a notch.

Sotha Sil

Maybe if another two or three people come in here and separately point this out to our Crackhead here.

I'm all sorts of fuckin' fun to hang out with.

I mean, you were honestly asking, and not being a facetious little snot, right?

If it's the latter, I dunno what to tell you. Discussions with a crackhead on a gaming forum about stupid Star Wars questions that have already been answered three times might not be the best way to gauge a person's enjoyability in a party atmosphere

Gotta admit there's something in Star Wars that brings out the snappy authoritarian robot teacher in you. I think I remember you being much more relaxed in Who threads. But you're still cool in my book.

I was meaning to post a few words to suscribe to the thread but I couldn't resist giving my much-needed input.

We'll probably get something Episode VIII releated sooner rather than later probably the final title. But yeah, anything substantial probably isn't coming til after Rouge One.

Sheroking

May, June and July may be the most common months for big action films but November and December have always been good months for blockbuster releases. Not sure why that's even a discussion.

Gotta admit there's something in Star Wars that brings out the snappy authoritarian robot teacher in you. I think I remember you being much more relaxed in Who threads. But you're still cool in my book.

I'm the exact same guy. Doesn't matter which thread I'm in.

If you're reading "robot teacher" in response to dumb questions where you normally read "relaxed guy" that's not a me thing. And when it IS a me thing, I apologize for it. Quickly and straightforwardly.

There's a reason I'm not apologizing here.

(spoiler: there's been maybe a handful of times, ever, where "relaxed guy" isn't always the guy you're reading here. Even as the number of "agitated fans" coming at me on a personal level increases)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
We'll probably get something Episode VIII releated sooner rather than later probably the final title. But yeah, anything substantial probably isn't coming til after Rouge One.

I hope there will be something, concept art, character picture, there has to be

I doubt we will see footage but id love just something.

I doubt we will see footage but id love just something.

Well, much like we finally got an idea of what Rogue One would be about (but only a pretty thin sketch of an idea) during that Star Wars convention panel, I bet there'll be a panel at the next one that does something similar with Episode 8. Maybe we get a title, and Rian Johnson says some vague stuff about where he's taking it.

But anything that causes anyone in marketing to believe that people going to theaters this December might end up confused as to which Star Wars movie they're actually buying a ticket for? They're not gonna allow that.

-griffy-

Banned
I'd guess an Episode VIII teaser attached to Rogue One at the earliest, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off entirely until 2017. Then maybe a trailer at Star Wars Celebration assuming it's in July? But that almost seems early.

To compare, Force Awakens' first teaser hit in November 2014, featuring all of 5 or so shots from the film. Teaser #2 hit April 2015. The full trailer didn't come until October 2015. I could easily see VIII foregoing the first teaser slot altogether and hitting roughly the same April and October dates for teaser and trailer. Which actually seems to be what Rogue One is doing also.

I could easily see VIII foregoing the first teaser slot altogether and hitting roughly the same April and October dates for teaser and trailer. Which actually seems to be what Rogue One is doing also.

yeah, this appears to be the case. TFA Teaser 1 was kind of a special thing.

Teaser in April, Trailer in October seems to be the plan going forward. That way you never get any overlap between the promotions for the separate films.

Surfinn

No way are they going to do anything substantial for Ep8 before Rogue one releases. I seriously doubt we'll even get a whiff of anything until a month or two after release. The only reason we got anything so early for Ep7 was because they could afford to show it off without there being another conflicting film to advertise.

I agree with getting a title or something written/spoken, but surely there won't be any footage.

Unless it's like the thing JJ did where he's out in front of a set and we see a glimpse, or what RJ did with the announcement, but no trailer/teaser.

Blader

I wonder how they're going to approach the marketing timetable for the young Han movie, though, since that is still slated for May 2018 -- and probably couldn't go back to December assuming Avatar 2 finally hits its release date.

TheXbox

this page lol. Keep it real, Bobby

Google tells me that IX is still up for May in the year of our Lord 2019. Wonder if they ditch the holiday slot after VIII. Solo movie in the summer of 2018, then IX a year later. Only Alden Ehrenreich and Colin Trevorrow can restore Disney's confidence in this fading franchise

Top Bottom