• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Without the captions it looks like Rey is saying "Bullshit"

pYoNMX.gif

I loved that scene, it was a nice bit of action and cool world building. Like you said, classic Han Solo stuff. It made a lot of sense to me, being reintroduced to Han and right away he's in trouble lol

agreed - loved that part

its little things that which make a movie feel "lived in" - something the prequels completely missed on

ok guys thanks.

I wish JJ had been there for EP8 too, he did such a good job with TFA. But I guess I can understand why he didnt want to continue.
Rian..not so hyped about him being the director, Looper was not really great and I just dont see why they gave him the chance to do Star wars.

I hope he pulls it off, I would be so angry if EP8 is bad and stupid, these films need to be good. I also hope they remake Ep1-3. those films should be erased and remade. They are fucking up the 9 films saga

Rian..not so hyped about him being the director, Looper was not really great and I just dont see why they gave him the chance to do Star wars

I don't care for Looper either but not because of the directing job. While I'm totally fine with TFA being kinda samey in ways, I do think it's for the benefit of the franchise to shake things up a little more next time and Rian's gonna do that.

So you should be hyped.

ok guys thanks.

I wish JJ had been there for EP8 too, he did such a good job with TFA. But I guess I can understand why he didnt want to continue.
Rian..not so hyped about him being the director, Looper was not really great and I just dont see why they gave him the chance to do Star wars.

I hope he pulls it off, I would be so angry if EP8 is bad and stupid, these films need to be good. I also hope they remake Ep1-3. those films should be erased and remade. They are fucking up the 9 films saga

Abrams is heavily involved with the trilogy still - he's just not in the mud doing the filming.

Rian Johnson is a great writer/director - Looper was done pretty much by him alone and on a small budget comparatively (pretty much everyone liked/loved that film).

The real worry you should have is for Ep. 9 and Colin Trevorrow.

-griffy-

Banned
ok guys thanks.

Looper is good and a very well received film, but beyond that his other two films are also quite good and well received: Brick and The Brothers Bloom. On top of that he directed several episodes of Breaking Bad, including what is widely considered the best episode of the entire series. He's a smart and talented guy.

Abrams is heavily involved with the trilogy still - he's just not in the mud doing the filming.

Rian Johnson is a great writer/director - Looper was done pretty much by him alone and on a small budget comparatively (pretty much everyone liked/loved that film).

The real worry you should have is for Ep. 9 and Colin Trevorrow.

it has me worried for sure. Hopefully he has not a lot of creative freedom while filming.

MMarston

oh my godddd Rey's sounds utterly perfect and her hair is down.
For some reason I'm picturing
Ellen Ripley at the end of Aliens.
(<= just a visual analogy for what's described, but tagged in case you really wanna be clean)

I don't see how costumes are spoilers. Shit is going to be all over stores in boxes, Rey's costume will likely be on your new toothbrush.

If it were something legitimately touchy I wouldn't be saying shit. Or looking in the first place because I'm going in as spoiler free as possible. But this is not a spoiler.

Yeah that's the only time I'll do that here. Sorry

No it could be anyone

Remember Raimi? Spider-Man 3? PJ and the Hobbit?

You never go full franchise man

PJ lord of the rings? worked great but I do agree that he missed the mark entirely with the Hobbit.

Raimi was never impressive to begin with so no wonder Spiderman shit flopped.
But I get what your saying, probably for the best to have a new director for every movie

-griffy-

Banned
I don't see how costumes are spoilers. Shit is going to be all over stores in boxes, Rey's costume will likely be on your new toothbrush.

If it were something legitimately touchy I wouldn't be saying shit. Or looking in the first place because I'm going in as spoiler free as possible. But this is not a spoiler.

Yeah probably, but that stuff isn't out there yet and we don't know for sure what's gonna be out there when it is. I'd rather wait until officially released media reveals the stuff then making a declaration about it now. There's a reason we have the two separate threads after all.

Yeah probably, but that stuff isn't out there yet and we don't know for sure what's gonna be out there when it is. I'd rather wait until officially released media reveals the stuff then making a declaration about it now. There's a reason we have the two separate threads after all.

Fair enough. I think seeing it will be cool even after reading descriptions though. I dunno, again for me it's nothing, but as I said, fair enough :)

MMarston

PJ lord of the rings? worked great but I do agree that he missed the mark entirely with the Hobbit.
LOTR worked great because because the development of that trilogy was treated as a set in stone singular product from pre to post

Hobbit went to shit because not only were they lacking material and we're making stuff up on the fly, they were under insane time pressure

In other, I'm saying it's best to not bite off more than you can chew

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Sounds like Luke will look like a absolute badass.

Im not clicking on the link but I hope he has some throwback clothes he can fight in

Havent heard any word of Hamill doing any form of stunt training, but one can hope

Seeing that there will be no official Ep VIII info for awhile, what's the point of the production thread if minor production details such as costume descriptions cannot be discussed here?

Not trying to be a jerk just curious to the purpose of this thread.

Blader

Looper is great. Rian's Breaking Bad episodes are great. I thought The Brothers Bloom was a little too twee, and Brick was really annoying, but those are both a long time ago now.

Really, if there's anything that's going to trip up Episode VIII, it's the expectation that Rian is *definitely* going to deliver a crazy Empire-level movie.

Looper is great. Rian's Breaking Bad episodes are great. I thought The Brothers Bloom was a little too twee, and Brick was really annoying, but those are both a long time ago now.

Really, if there's anything that's going to trip up Episode VIII, it's the expectation that Rian is *definitely* going to deliver a crazy Empire-level movie.

I am convinced that no matter what he does, some will hate it. When it comes to Star Wars, you can't win.

I mean I had to defend TFA after the prequels, and got called a loser for using that as my sole defense. It was the only defense I needed.

Seeing that there will be no official Ep VIII info for awhile, what's the point of the production thread if minor production details such as costume descriptions cannot be discussed here?

Everyone wants to talk about it, no one wants to know about it.

This is legitimately the first time I've seen a person that's not a character from Life is Strange use that word.

TM94

I really fucking liked Looper

That segment that showed the passage of time as he's living out in China was awesome.

I like the prequels and I find this fucking insane.

I do too!!!!!!

I think they are alright!

But my god man. I was quoted and responded to like this." Its sad that a movie as trashy as TFA can only stand on the legs that it came after the PT."

I was like dude im out of here.

My point it, some will hate everything. there is no winning.

GhaleonEB

Fair enough. I think seeing it will be cool even after reading descriptions though. I dunno, again for me it's nothing, but as I said, fair enough :)
I think there are benefits to drawing a big bright line between this and the spoiler thread, because when it's a grey line there will be times when actual spoilers land here by mistake. And there's sometimes a rush to post leaked stuff before there is context, which can spoil things inadvertently. Best to keep it clean.

Costumes aren't a spoiler to me, but if it's posted over there, might as well discuss it there.

1) stuff officially posted of which there's been steady drum beat
2) speculation and discussion
3) non-spoiler production news such as the set pics posted a while back

Everyone wants to talk about it, no one wants to know about it.
Pretty much.

I think there's benefits to drawing a big bright line between this and the spoiler thread, because when it's a grey line there will be times when actual spoilers land here by mistake. And there's sometimes a rush to post leaked stuff before there is context, which can spoil things inadvertently. Best to keep it clean.

Man. I don't disagree, but you'd think anyone with a functional head on their shoulders knows what is or isn't a spoiler. You're right, and it's because people are stupid.

nib95

Banned
My steelbook bluray came yesterday and I just got done watching it. Loved it all over again. I'm legit nervous Rian is going to fuck it up. Wasn't the biggest fan of Looper, and I'm a huge fan of JJ Abrams.

GhaleonEB

Man. I don't disagree, but you'd think anyone with a functional head on their shoulders knows what is or isn't a spoiler. You're right, and it's because people are stupid.

A big part of the problem is people disagree about what is a spoiler. Two extreme and hilarious examples are the whole Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy fiasco of course. And in one of the TFA pre-release threads, someone freaked out when another person mentioned "death star #3", in reference to the official poster. (They were avoiding posters and trailers.) Obviously those are examples of stuff we should not be worried about.

But stuff we learn out of context can be tricky, even something as innocuous as costumes. To make up a dumb example, say we get a description of Rey in some outfit and we think, cool! And later learn that outfit is the same one the Knight of Ren are rocking (told ya this was a dumb example). And that Dark Rey was supposed to be a huge surprise and not even hinted at in the pre-release materials. Oops.

So I'm a little more understanding of people only wanting to know official, non-leaked stuff. And that's before we get to leak-creep. What about ship designs? Locations? Creature designs? Combinations of characters on set at the same time? Etc. At some point that gets to be too much, but I dunno where to draw the line. So I figure, draw it way the hell over there, and then we don't have to worry about it.

(That said, I'm not saying the costume descriptions are a spoiler, and I'm not going to moderate them as such. But I won't click on them, either. :p )

Yeah totally. And totally fair. For me a spoiler is simply something that objectively ruins something. Now that can have a range depending on the person, but stuff that you're going to see even if you go on a media blackout or in the marketing aren't spoilers. You're right in that doing it this way can help prevent potential, actual spoilers, and it's the right thing to do.

TM94

TFA is absolutely better than ANH. I love ANH but there's several episodes I already put ahead of it even before TFA came out.

It's not, A New Hope is a bona-fide classic and TFA is pretty far away from being on the same level, never mind better.

It's not, A New Hope is a bona-fide classic and TFA is pretty far away from being on the same level, never mind better.

It's a classic because it came out in 1977 and was revolutionary on a technical level and had a story and characters that people liked. It was great and still is.

For me The Force Awakens has better acting, dialogue, characters, a story that has more depth and is more interesting, better cinematography, and pacing. It's better to me in a number of ways.

Just because something is a classic for whatever reason doesn't make it technically better. It came out four months ago, so no, you're right, it's not a classic.

TM94

It's a classic because it came out in 1977 and was revolutionary on a technical level and had a story and characters that people liked. It was great and still is.

For me The Force Awakens has better acting, dialogue, characters, a story that has more depth and is more interesting, better cinematography, and pacing. It's better to me in a number of ways.

Just because something is a classic for whatever reason doesn't make it technically better. It came out four months ago, so no, you're right, it's not a classic.

You're missing the point about me dubbing it a classic, it's still a better film regardless of it's age.

50 years from now, it'll still be a better film than the Force Awakens as that film too ages.

Acting, dialogue, yeah I guess A New Hope has some cheesy lines in there.

Characters, not for me. Han Solo is at his roguish best, a total arsehole for the entirety of the film, love it.

Luke's a better protagonist than Rey, albeit with somewhat wooden acting.

This is all opinions but I'm floored at how anyone can say the pacing is superior, A New Hope's pacing is absolute perfection, the whole film beautifully flows together.

GhaleonEB

You're missing the point about me dubbing it a classic, it's still a better film regardless of it's age.

50 years from now, it'll still be a better film than the Force Awakens as that film too ages.

Acting, dialogue, yeah I guess A New Hope has some cheesy lines in there.

Characters, not for me. Han Solo is at his roguish best, a total arsehole for the entirety of the film, love it.

Luke's a better protagonist than Rey, albeit with somewhat wooden acting.

This is all opinions but I'm floored at how anyone can say the pacing is superior, A New Hope's pacing is absolute perfection, the whole film beautifully flows together.
I suspect that 50 years from now, people will have split opinions about this still. The nice thing is, we're debating about two well made films rather than a great film and a badly made film.

Personally, I think TFA is a better film. I like Rey much more than I like Luke in ANH, both the character and the acting. I think ANH drags in the first act, a bit. TFA's action is staged and shot better (progression in visual effects help, but are not the reason). TFA has considerably more depth to its visual style going on; the bridge confrontation, the saber fight in the snow. TFA is both much funnier and more thematically dark than ANH is. Whcih is not a critique really, but a reason why someone might find it more appealing. (Mind you, I love ANH. I'm stacking this toward TFA to make the point.)

Even though I'd put Ep VII ahead of Ep IV, I can see why anyone would do the reverse. As Bobby Roberts has said, ANH has more great moments. But the OT and TFA are an abundance of riches, with very different strengths and weaknesses, and are trying to do different things. ANH is brilliant for an original film. TFA is brilliant as a reboot. (ANH invented this universe, TFA is relaunching it, etc.).

I suspect that 50 years from now, people will have split opinions about this still. The nice thing is, we're debating about two well made films rather than a great film and a badly made film.

Personally, I think TFA is a better film. I like Rey much more than I like Luke in ANH, both the character and the acting. I think ANH drags in the first act, a bit. TFA's action is staged and shot better (progression in visual effects help, but are not the reason). TFA has considerably more depth to its visual style going on; the bridge confrontation, the saber fight in the snow. TFA is both much funnier and more thematically dark than ANH is. Whcih is not a critique really, but a reason why someone might find it more appealing. (Mind you, I love ANH. I'm stacking this toward TFA to make the point.)

Even though I'd put Ep VII ahead of Ep IV, I can see why anyone would do the reverse. As Bobby Roberts has said, ANH has more great moments. But the OT and TFA are an abundance of riches, with very different strengths and weaknesses, and are trying to do different things. ANH is brilliant for an original film. TFA is brilliant as a reboot. (ANH invented this universe, TFA is relaunching it, etc.).

For me this is true, all of it.

Top Bottom