• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Surfinn

I'd like to see Rey darkside compromised, but not a full turn.

I'm not confident in him right now, but this too is what I'm hoping. You can totally tell he's dude who means well and has some good ideas. It's just that I wouldn't say he's brought his A-game yet to anything.

It wouldn't be Star Wars without the temptation to the dark side, so I highly doubt we won't see that. Especially considering the next film is much darker.

Well at least it sounds like he wants to try something different, which is a GREAT sign, even if it's sort of a silly idea to us so far (going into space to shoot EP9).

I'd much rather he go that direction than CGI everything, which he never would in the first place. These filmmakers know that practical effects are a staple of the franchise and that they work well in conjunction with CGI.

Finn's cardio game on point. With bonus cheerleading from Oscar Isaac (the bromance is alive).

Wonder if he's simply doing hand to hand combat (boxing stuff in the background) or if this will be combined with saber fighting? Hopefully that first image a little while back wasn't misinterpreted.

How can Rey be tempted by the darkside when she has so much good in her, she has an innate sense to help others, even non humans.

All she knows is whats right.

How can Rey be tempted by the darkside when she has so much good in her, she has an innate sense to help others, even non humans.

All she knows is whats right.

Anakin was the same way in Episode 1. And he's a model of helping others in Clone Wars - often putting himself at risk for the sake of others.

sphagnum

Banned
All I really want by the end of this trilogy in terms of planets are a tropical/beach planet since that's one of the few Earth terrains that hasn't been done yet on screen, Naboo, and bombed out Coruscant.

Something weird like Umbara would be nice too.

https://youtu.be/GQQMLE4FuIQ

Production announcement. And this confirms that for the first time in a Star Wars in movie, at least one part of the story will start right where it left off from the last film. This is almost necessary since hearing Luke's first conversation with Rey could be very important (but there will most likely be a time skip).

Laura Dern. Could she be Rey's mother? And Tran or at least an "Asian" actress was rumored for a while so it looks like some of the earlier reports can be confirmed (rewrite making her role smaller while making Finn and Poe's larger).

Repost from other thread:

New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.
My queen... it has been too long...

slide_290449_2305023_free.jpg

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow @ Laura Dern...

Who knows who she is playing, but it's probably someone noteworthy given her status as an actress.

Be on the lookout for spy photos of her with red hair.

Wow @ Laura Dern...

Who knows who she is playing, but it's probably someone noteworthy given her status as an actress.

Be on the lookout for spy photos of her with red hair.

A bit too on the nose, no?

Granted they already took the idea of Han and Leia having an evil kid so...

Rootbeer

Banned
Also happy to see them cast an asian female, that's probably a role of some consequence for them to announce her name like that right?

And Del Toro who's been pretty much confirmed for a while, but still great.

KevinG

If they push and actual romance between Finn and Poe, that would be so stupid. Keep it like J.D. and Turk.

I could do without any romance in this trilogy as a whole.

I hope Colin Trevorrow dies in a fucking fire before he can get his dirty hack hands on Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy must be a moron that has no idea what she's doing.

Super excited for Benicio del Toro's role in this. Hope he has a really great and deep character.

I didn't have a problem with Snoke, but a CG hologram in a few scenes didn't really do much for me. I think he'll turn out to be interesting, but in the case that he doesn't, I'd love a great, strong actor playing a new villain. Kylo will probably be the central villain, but who knows what direction he's going to go in, and there will likely be more villains, major or supporting.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Finn and Poe dont need to be an established thing, but the winks and nods are fun, it could just be left to speculation, some people think good friends, others think more, no need to say a definitive "YES!" or "NO" to it in either 8 or 9.

I just hope they buddy up in this one, I dont care if they are romantic or not I just thought their onscreen chemistry sold the early part of the film.

I hope Colin Trevorrow dies in a fucking fire before he can get his dirty hack hands on Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy must be a moron that has no idea what she's doing.

Bro...

Maybe turn it down a notch? The script is what you should be must concerned about, I think EP9 is in good hands in that regard since Johnson is still in charge of that.

There's literally no way Disney will let EP9 be a less than acceptable quality film.

Also, are we past the moratorium on spoilers for EP7? Wondering if avatars of Luke are okay now.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Bro...

Maybe turn it down a notch? The script is what you should be must concerned about, I think EP9 is in good hands in that regard since Johnson is still in charge of that.

There's literally no way Disney will let EP9 be a less than acceptable quality film..

He's being sarcastic.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Bro...

There's literally no way Disney will let EP9 be a less than acceptable quality film.

Also, are we past the moratorium on spoilers for EP7? Wondering if avatars of Luke are okay now.

In this thread you can say anything about EP7, not sure about avatars, but i doubt most people will care

Phew. My bad. Honestly couldn't tell. :)

I tend to imagine that all of movie-GAF is well aware of my position on Trevorrow/Jurassic World but there's a lot of folks here, so you're good. :p

In this thread you can say anything about EP7, not sure about avatars, but i doubt most people will care

It's an officially-released shot of Mark Hamill with facial hair. Not a spoiler, not a leak, nada.

Mr Cola

I avoided jurassic world because of word of mouth, watched it a few weeks ago on the off chance and its fine, its neither groundbreaking or terrible, its fine and fun and forgettable and theres nothing wrong with that, I also have 0 reason to doubt Disney because I loved TFA (After seeing it a few times that is)

Top Bottom