• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

There's still more than a year to go. JJ is (sometimes) a secretive type, and they already have everybody's money. I'd say it'll launch in the early blockbuster season (April/May), though I'd love to be wrong.

Darklord

Banned
wpid-received_m_mid_1411595747093_51d0766334e4eb8497_0.jpeg

This concept art gets we way too excited.

CD'S BAR

sexy pic just like that inquisitor one. looks like a snowy forest planet?

yellow saber has the high ground. green is done for.

Allard

There's still more than a year to go. JJ is (sometimes) a secretive type, and they already have everybody's money. I'd say it'll launch in the early blockbuster season (April/May), though I'd love to be wrong.

Probably a 'nostalgia' teaser with very little new information, vintage John Williams music and maybe a quick look at old characters reborn in episode VII, a shot of the new characters, a shot of the potential villain, and the title of the episode. If such a teaser were to happen the earliest I see it coming is with Big Hero 6 in November (Which I doubt or else we would have heard something by now) or maybe the final hobbit movie in December. Otherwise probably a blackout till Superbowl with proper theatrical trailer to come out in front of the Avengers. JJ likes to be secretive but he also isn't devoted to a total black out of media, he likes leaving red herrings all over the place to keep people guessing on whats to come.

Probably a 'nostalgia' teaser with very little new information

That's also a possibility. As much as I dislike teasers, the one for Trek09 was decent, so he has a good track record there.
Maybe a return of "Somewhere in space, all this could be happening right now"? Heh.

Just no individual character posters please, Struzan (or a facsimile thereof) or bust.

I thought the mistakes the Jedi made in the prequels in addition to Qui-Gon's further teachings through the Force is what led to Yoda and Obi-Wan being the way they are in the originals. Qui-Gon basically showed them what was up. If they were perfect they wouldn't have fallen and there would be no need for their "return." I took that out of the prequels before watching the Clone Wars show. I thought it was pretty blatant but whatever. They weren't completely in touch with the Force in the way that they should have been. I thought that was one of the entire points of the prequels. Their new understanding is what led to Luke being trained by Yoda in a more spiritual fashion. It all gelled for me.

It did for me too. I thought there was alot of logic involved in the prequels. The bolded part is basically my viewpoint.

jelly

I wonder if the bad guy drags down the Falcon as they try to escape. Would be a neat change from just about making it in the OT. Force you aren't going anywhere move!

Darklord

Banned
I really like how that trooper has an almost medieval look to its armour. It's similar to how Darth Vader came from Samurai styles.

I thought the mistakes the Jedi made in the prequels in addition to Qui-Gon's further teachings through the Force is what led to Yoda and Obi-Wan being the way they are in the originals. Qui-Gon basically showed them what was up. If they were perfect they wouldn't have fallen and there would be no need for their "return." I took that out of the prequels before watching the Clone Wars show. I thought it was pretty blatant but whatever. They weren't completely in touch with the Force in the way that they should have been. I thought that was one of the entire points of the prequels. Their new understanding is what led to Luke being trained by Yoda in a more spiritual fashion. It all gelled for me.

Nailed it. I thought this was pretty obvious from the start. Qui-Gon as a character exists to show that the Jedi Order was full of it. Lucas even stuck the Jedi Council in a literal ivory tower, ffs.

Yoda is the way he is in TESB because of what he went through. Fighting the SIth lightsaber to lightsaber, aggression to aggression, brought the galaxy to ruin.

Remember - Luke only became a true Jedi and defeated the Emperor when he cast away his lightsaber and put his trust in the Force. A complete and utter repudiation of the old ways.

Robbit

Banned
Pardon my ignorance on this, but how much input/involvement does George Lucas have with this new movie? I'm assuming very little to none given the evidence of a big focus on practical effects for creatures and cities.

Nailed it. I thought this was pretty obvious from the start. Qui-Gon as a character exists to show that the Jedi Order was full of it. Lucas even stuck the Jedi Council in a literal ivory tower, ffs.

Yoda is the way he is in TESB because of what he went through. Fighting the SIth lightsaber to lightsaber, aggression to aggression, brought the galaxy to ruin.

Remember - Luke only became a true Jedi and defeated the Emperor when he cast away his lightsaber and put his trust in the Force. A complete and utter repudiation of the old ways.

I like that idea, but my issue of course is that:

A) This wasn't explained properly or shown through actions. If you have to read into it and make assumptions then it's not good storytelling.

B) What are the chances that Lucas actually intended any of that? lol.

Liamario

Banned
Pardon my ignorance on this, but how much input/involvement does George Lucas have with this new movie? I'm assuming very little to none given the evidence of a big focus on practical effects for creatures and cities.
You assume correctly. I expect JJ et al have asked him about how the universe works, and they may have even got inspiration from his treatments he had for the new trilogy. He has no say in anything and is there for reference basically.

I agree there. I thought the Clone Wars tv show did a much better job of showing this though.

Allard

1) Very little to nothing other then the initial outline for the initial treatment sold to Disney and maybe occasionally as a consultant but completely hands off otherwise and under no obligation to take his advice.

2) Lucas had TONS of practical effects and city shots even in the prequels, the CGI stuff that he did put in just seems to stand out more because a lot of was horrifically composited and of course some choice CGI creations that many probably could imagine working better practically and thus attribute as a negative to him using CGI predominantly. Funnily the shots people hate on him most like in Attack of the clones were made from miniatures rather then pure CGI.

1) Very little to nothing other then the initial outline for the initial treatment sold to Disney and maybe occasionally as a consultant but completely hands off otherwise and under no obligation to take his advice.

2) Lucas had TONS of practical effects and city shots even in the prequels, the CGI stuff that he did put in just seems to stand out more because a lot of was horrifically composited and of course some choice CGI creations that many probably could imagine working better practically and thus attribute as a negative to him using CGI predominantly. Funnily the shots people hate on him most like in Attack of the clones were made from miniatures rather then pure CGI.

Personally, effects wise. I don't mind CGI. You can do alot with CGI nowadays. I'm fine with them going with mainly practical effects, but I'm hoping that the practical effects are up there with Hellboy I and II. Those sets and creatures were amazing. So that's what I'm hoping for. I've always been a huge fan of combination of CGI and practical effect.

Lebron

JJ gonna bring the goods. He made people care about ST again, after all. Have faith.

That chrome trooper and CA, I can't handle it. I'm on board this train.

sphagnum

Banned

You're 100% correct.

edit: The Chrome Trooper looks cool, wish the hood was in the final version though. Although it's really weird to me how the new troopers all look more like clonetroopers than stormtroopers. Also the lightsaber duel art seems to confirm the snow-forest planet rumor.

Can't wait for the first teaser trailer. Is it too much to think we'll get it this year?
The first Hobbit movie got a trailer almost exactly a full year before release.

Maybe a really vague teaser late this year confirming the title, followed with a full-blown trailer screening before Avengers 2.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sounds so weird, waiting for a Star Wars teaser trailer. I am totally sure that I will watch it like 100 times.

i watched the episode I trailer so many times back in the day... i'm sooo old :(

granted, i watch a lot of trailers for a lot of films several times. but with star wars it's always that much more.

i hope the episode VII trailer is rather beefy on shots for us to consume. the star trek trailers were pretty good in that way... but let's be honest here... while star trek 2009 was pretty strong, star wars is going to be under way tighter scrutiny not just from myself but from the internet at large.

Top Bottom