• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
Just got out of a second viewing of Rogue One. I still really like it. That third act especially
that Vader scene
is some great action.

Sephzilla

giphy.gif

I love how one of the things that brought Filoni to Lucasfilm's attention was this fanart.
I mean, the pairings are incestuous no matter which series you're looking at it from.
edit: Oh, Padme, not Leia. Point still stands.

Fj0823

I love how one of the things that brought Filoni to Lucasfilm's attention was this fanart.

I mean, the pairings are incestuous no matter which series you're looking at it from.

He was deep in that Zutara stuff.

I thought I couldn't love Filoni any more yet here I am

Toa TAK

Banned

This was Dave Filoni that did this??? As an Avatar fan that blows my mind.

Anth0ny

so my sister just watched the OT for the first time after watching Rogue One last week

Jedi is now her favorite Star Wars, she couldn't believe "Darth Vader was a good guy" and the ending was so nice with all the ghosts.

Jedi is underrated, straight up. it gets too much shit sometimes that it doesn't deserve.

so my sister just watched the OT for the first time after watching Rogue One last week

Jedi is now her favorite Star Wars, she couldn't believe "Darth Vader was a good guy" and the ending was so nice with all the ghosts.

Jedi is underrated, straight up. it gets too much shit sometimes that it doesn't deserve.

Agreed. It's my favorite of the OT.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Nice! Jedi was my number one Star Wars movie for a loooong time. Especially because of the fight between Luke and Darth Vader and b/c of Vaders redemption.

well, that's not how I rank them. V, VI, VII ,Rogue One, III, I, II
I can't rank IV. It's the movie that started everything. Also, the rank for IV is highly dependent to my mood.

but if he thinks so...he is definitely has the higher ground here.

Zombine

Banned
So, out of all 3 of the OT films, I genuinely feel like Return of the Jedi might be my favorite. I've defaulted to ESB for the longest time, but the kid in me still thinks that RoTJ is the best:

• Jabba and all the other puppets
  • Dark Luke
  • Feathery Hair Chewbacca (this is so ridiculous I love it)
  • Sarlacc Pit
  • The super eerie looking Death Star II
  • The Rancor
  • Mon Mothma
  • Falcon + Lando
  • Lando + Nein Numb
  • Yoda scene
  • Luke realizing he wants to bang his sister
  • Endor
  • the intense speeder chases
  • The Ewoks are actually cute tbh
  • Lando blowing up the Death Star II
  • The Emperor + Force Lightening
  • Luke pwning Vader
  • Luke almost getting killed by the Emperor
  • Vader's redemption and throwing that asshole into oblivion
  • The burning scene

And there's a lot more I'm missing. People remember it as the weakest of the 3, but I'm really not super sure about that. I think it might be the one that starts to dig into the lore the best, and if you're new to the series it leaves so much room for you to wonder what happened between Empire and RoTJ, and that is pretty awesome.

Sephzilla

The only major change I'd make with Return of the Jedi is that Han should have stayed in the Falcon and Lando should have went down to Endor

Zombine

Banned
The only major change I'd make with Return of the Jedi is that Han should have stayed in the Falcon and Lando should have went down to Endor

See but I think that mix up is why it's so good. It takes your expectations and does the complete opposite. You also get a chance to see the original owner of the Falcon back with his ship. That's some pretty decent fan service.

Anth0ny

There are a couple things that, even today, Jedi can't shake:

1. It had to follow Star Wars and Empire. Only the two greatest movies of all time. Not an easy task.

2. wow boba fett went out like a jabroni

3. wow ewoks dats so dum and kiddy (to a lesser extent, holding off on han's death for teh kiddies)

4. wow another death star real creative george

To me, the final act with Vader/Luke/Emperor is so incredible that I can look passed all of those so called faults.

Ezalc

Making momo into Jarjar is the biggest insult I can see in this. He should have looked like R2.

Sephzilla

There are a couple things that, even today, Jedi can't shake:

1. It had to follow Star Wars and Empire. Only the two greatest movies of all time. Not an easy task.

2. wow boba fett went out like a jabroni

3. wow ewoks dats so dum and kiddy (to a lesser extent, holding off on han's death for teh kiddies)

4. wow another death star real creative george

To me, the final act with Vader/Luke/Emperor is so incredible that I can look passed all of those so called faults.

Boba Fett was always overrated anyway and doesn't actually do much in the movies outside of follow Han in Empire. So I'm not super upset with him going out like a jobber.

The Ewoks never bothered me. The original idea of it being Wookies was always dumb to be because why would the Empire build the shield generator in a place surrounded by 8 foot tall beasts that could turn on them at any moment? Ewoks make more sense from this perspective because of course the Empire would underestimate 3 foot tall walking Teddy Bears. Plus, it's not like the Ewoks weren't already set up to be smart with a bit of savagery to them - they did capture the main heroes of the movie and were about to burn them alive until Luke did some space magic. Ewoks are cold motherfuckers.

All of the ideas for Han's death in ROTJ were stupid shock-value deaths that would have been stupid. Keep that Joss Whedon level hack shit out of there.

I'm actually okay with the Empire attempting the Death Star again. It's a common sense thing to me - the original Death Star was practically unstoppable aside from one defect. Why not just rebuild the damn thing and fix the defect - plus it makes the perfect bait for luring the Rebellion into a trap.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Boba Fett is the most overrated character in popculture and his fans who scream character assassination because of Attotc are the worst.

Boba Fett was always overrated anyway and doesn't actually do much in the movies outside of follow Han in Empire. So I'm not super upset with him going out like a jobber.

For us older fans, he was set up like a boss though. I got the original action figure in the mail, the one with the missile shooter that worked and damn did it fire our imaginations on what kind of a badass he was. Now, he did turn out to be kind of lame, but his screen presence to an 8 year old in 1980 was freaking incredible.

The Ewoks never bothered me. The original idea of it being Wookies was always dumb to be because why would the Empire build the shield generator in a place surrounded by 8 foot tall beasts that could turn on them at any moment? Ewoks make more sense from this perspective because of course the Empire would underestimate 3 foot tall walking Teddy Bears. Plus, it's not like the Ewoks weren't already set up to be smart with a bit of savagery to them - they did capture the main heroes of the movie and were about to burn them alive until Luke did some space magic. Ewoks are cold motherfuckers.

I like them too. Packed a lot of emotion and sass into those little buggers.

I'm actually okay with the Empire attempting the Death Star again. It's a common sense thing to me - the original Death Star was practically unstoppable aside from one defect. Why not just rebuild the damn thing and fix the defect - plus it makes the perfect bait for luring the Rebellion into a trap.

Same. If I'm the guy in the Empire who makes these decisions, I have Death Stars in every quadrant of the galaxy. (Set aside the fact that Super Star Destroyer were probably a more effective and cheaper platform...)

Sephzilla

Boba Fett is the most overrated character in popculture and his fans who scream character assassination because of Attotc are the worst.

I don't know if AOTC is what I'd classify as a character assassination. But establishing that all Clone Troopers are actually Boba Fetts was really stupid.

For us older fans, he was set up like a boss though. I got the original action figure in the mail, the one with the missile shooter that worked and damn did it fire our imaginations on what kind of a badass he was. Now, he did turn out to be kind of lame, but his screen presence to an 8 year old in 1980 was freaking incredible.

Vader basically made Boba Fett with the "No disintegrations!" line

As a kid, RotJ was my favorite. As I got older, you realize, ESB was technically a better film but RotJ will always hold the number one spot. It had Jedi Luke and Vaders redemption and that's the whole reason we are here in this thread, still talking about Star Wars.

Anth0ny

All of the ideas for Han's death in ROTJ were stupid shock-value deaths that would have been stupid. Keep that Joss Whedon level hack shit out of there.

my thoughts exactly :)

but those are still the criticisms that persist for that movie and it's super annoying. jedi is great, damn it.

As a kid, RotJ was my favorite. As I got older, you realize, ESB was technically a better film but RotJ will always hold the number one spot. It had Jedi Luke and Vaders redemption and that's the whole reason we are here in this thread, still talking about Star Wars.

Before we had the Battle of Scarif, and before the Battle of Coruscant in Ep3, we had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

The first minute of which blew. my. mind. Not only seeing the rebel fleet massing for attack, John Williams music in this scene gives me goose bumps to this day.

Sayers

What were these ideas? I know Harrison Ford wanted to kill off Han (presumably because he wanted out) but I've never heard that they had ideas on how to do it.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I didn't find out that the Ewoks were made because of toys until much later. It seemed totally natural to me that the Empire would underestimate them. For toy placement, they worked.

Has Shaak-Ti's death been confirmed in the new canon yet?
That could be a decent element to add to an Obi-Wan movie if they had something similar to Force Unleashed with her.

Received the Star Wars OT Costume book and the Art of TFA book in the mail along with Jabba The Hutt Black Series figure errrr blob of rubber. Both the books look amazing and can't wait to dive into them. Jabba figure is a trip, its huge and its arms make his mouth move. It's actually pretty cool.

Hagi

So, out of all 3 of the OT films, I genuinely feel like Return of the Jedi might be my favorite. I've defaulted to ESB for the longest time, but the kid in me still thinks that RoTJ is the best:

• Jabba and all the other puppets
  • Dark Luke
  • Feathery Hair Chewbacca (this is so ridiculous I love it)
  • Sarlacc Pit
  • The super eerie looking Death Star II
  • The Rancor
  • Mon Mothma
  • Falcon + Lando
  • Lando + Nein Numb
  • Yoda scene
  • Luke realizing he wants to bang his sister
  • Endor
  • the intense speeder chases
  • The Ewoks are actually cute tbh
  • Lando blowing up the Death Star II
  • The Emperor + Force Lightening
  • Luke pwning Vader
  • Luke almost getting killed by the Emperor
  • Vader's redemption and throwing that asshole into oblivion
  • The burning scene

And there's a lot more I'm missing. People remember it as the weakest of the 3, but I'm really not super sure about that. I think it might be the one that starts to dig into the lore the best, and if you're new to the series it leaves so much room for you to wonder what happened between Empire and RoTJ, and that is pretty awesome.

tumblr_oiyznb5nd21re3gzzo1_500.gif

I get that Empire is amazing but man I love RotJ to bits and can easily say it's my favourite. Everything in your post is why I like it so much and the film overall has my favourite imagery and scenes of the trilogy.

Hagi

I live for every scene in the throne room, so good. Tempted to watch the despecialized edition of Jedi actually.

I'm currently watching the S4 Umbaran arc in Clone Wars, and damn if this isn't just the best. Krell is a total bastard, the Clone personalities all get to shine - especially Fives and Hardcase. The direction is really top notch in these episodes too.

Sephzilla

If there's one flaw I can throw at Empire, its that I feel Empire loses that light hearted adventure feel that A New Hope had. It's a necessary flaw in order to make Empire work, to be fair. Part of the reason I've come around to feeling Jedi is the best is because Jedi manages to have both the A New Hope feel while still retaining a bit of Empire's edge.

I'm currently watching the S4 Umbaran arc in Clone Wars, and damn if this isn't just the best. Krell is a total bastard, the Clone personalities all get to shine - especially Fives and Hardcase. The direction is really top notch in these episodes too.

Yeah, it's definitely one of my favourite Clone Wars arcs. My dream Battlefront map would be Umbara, though it'll never happen. It's top notch when it comes to visuals.

tumblr_nm7lnb9UKR1u27pz3o4_400.gif

tumblr_inline_ocalpnyTUn1szmjhd_500.gif

tumblr_nm7lnb9UKR1u27pz3o3_400.gif

Sephzilla

I think that's my favorite story arc in Clone Wars. You could practically feel how caught between a rock and a hard place in terms of the situation they were in.

Top Bottom