• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

d1rtn4p

I thought Force Awakens was good. I have really high hope for episode 8. Really hoping for something that has a lot of mystery and emotion to it, and most importantly hoping that it doesn't feel as "safe" as TFA. Hard to explain, but everything about the movie felt very Disney to me for some reason :)

sphagnum

Banned
Oh Pablo.

m1DTNg7.jpg

Anth0ny

I didn't know there was a lot of dislike for Gremlins 2... loved it as a kid and still love it today even seeing it with very different eyes. I don't think liking Gremlins 2 is at all a controversial opinion, basically.

I feel like the criticism of Gremlins 2 was always along the lines of "WTF is this weird bullshit the original Gremlins was a classic this is just weird and too different and doesn't feel like Gremlins"

In other words, change the formula? People complain. Follow the formula too close? People complain.

I just want good movies. TFA was great, so the fact that it followed the formula by Star Wars (you know, the greatest and most iconic movie of all time) never bothered me at all.

Wife asked me last night who was directing episode 8 again. I told her Rian Johnson of course and she asked what he has done. I told her the big thing that I'm most familiar with is "Looper". We decided to watch it, my second, her first and I still really liked it as did she. I think E8 is in good hands, maybe better hands than E7.

Wife asked me last night who was directing episode 8 again. I told her Rian Johnson of course and she asked what he has done. I told her the big thing that I'm most familiar with is "Looper". We decided to watch it, my second, her first and I still really liked it as did she. I think E8 is in good hands, maybe better hands than E7.

Yeah I've always thought this. Hes one of my favorite writer/directors.

I have faith in Johnson to deliver something interesting and well executed. It's Trevorrow that I'm worried about, Jurassic World wasn't exactly a breath of fresh air.

Same here. Johnson knows his stuff from what I watch in Looper.

Sephzilla

I didn't know there was a lot of dislike for Gremlins 2... loved it as a kid and still love it today even seeing it with very different eyes. I don't think liking Gremlins 2 is at all a controversial opinion, basically.

I feel like the criticism of Gremlins 2 was always along the lines of "WTF is this weird bullshit the original Gremlins was a classic this is just weird and too different and doesn't feel like Gremlins"

In other words, change the formula? People complain. Follow the formula too close? People complain.

I just want good movies. TFA was great, so the fact that it followed the formula by Star Wars (you know, the greatest and most iconic movie of all time) never bothered me at all.

I think Gremlins 2 went a little too far down the comedy route, that's its main flaw

Malyse

How would you feel about a rebooted KoTOR made to fit with the new EU?
Is there any way to tell the Revan story that would feel fresh?

curb

Banned
Disliking nostalgia and working on Star Wars. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I think overall they need to balance nostalgia with expanding people's definition of what "Star Wars" is. To me, having people like Pablo on the Story Group is for the best.

How would you feel about a rebooted KoTOR made to fit with the new EU?
Is there any way to tell the Revan story that would feel fresh?

Giving Revan an actual identity besides K1/2's "enigmatic mastermind player avatar" or TOR's "self-righteous crazy dude" would probably go far in establishing a fresh aesthetic.

Honestly though, they'd probably have better luck simply adapting the comics.

He also directed two episodes of Breaking Bad, one of which is widely considered the greatest TV episode ever made (Ozymandias), and the other, while receiving a bit of a mixed reception from fans, was phenomenally well directed (Fly).

Aphra #2 was great. It's definitely my favourite of the current Star Wars books. Gillen seems to be enjoying having a bit more freedom without Vader in the way.
The Ordu Aspectu stuff was interesting. Nice to get a glimpse of some older history for the first time in the new canon. BT version is canon.

Aphra #2 was great. It's definitely my favourite of the current Star Wars books. Gillen seems to be enjoying having a bit more freedom without Vader in the way.
The Ordu Aspectu stuff was interesting. Nice to get a glimpse of some older history for the first time in the new canon. BT version is canon.

How old are we talking about here?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That is something at least. I always wondered what they will do with the distant past in the new canon. One of the things that I hope they don't do is the Old Republic era stuff and try something different.

If they do a new Old Republic in the canon, they should take aesthetic inspiration from stuff like Jodorowsky's Dune (yes, a little redundant since SW kinda is already) and John Carter of Mars.

Basically, make it incredibly distinct from what prequels/sequels look like. This is a several thousand years time gap we're talking about.

I would like to see Filoni's new show be set in the Old Republic. We've filled in nearly every gap between Anakin's birth through to the sequel trilogy. There's still some room for other stories post ROTJ, but it's filling up quickly. Meanwhile, the OR is a wide open playing field.

If they do a new Old Republic in the canon, they should take aesthetic inspiration from stuff like Jodorowsky's Dune (yes, a little redundant since SW kinda is already) and John Carter of Mars.

Basically, make it incredibly distinct from what prequels/sequels look like. This is a several thousand years time gap we're talking about.

That is what I hope they will do when they do decide to go back to the Old Republic. It needs to have the feeling of old and not look like a Empire era Star Wars story. I know there was a comic from Dark Horse that had that look that you were presenting but it really came and went. And here is that Darth Bane armor that the Clone Wars series had, which looked old.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would like to see Filoni's new show be set in the Old Republic. We've filled in nearly every gap between Anakin's birth through to the sequel trilogy. There's still some room for other stories post ROTJ, but it's filling up quickly. Meanwhile, the OR is a wide open playing field.

They should do a Live-Action show or something more adult oriented for that. I have the feeling that more older people are interested in that period. Little kids will love Jedis at any time period, but I think that era is more for adults.

Also, they need to do everything a bit different. i know, it rhymes and nostalgia, bla bla, but I dont want to see Almost-Darth-Vaders and Almost-Tie-Fighter hunting Almost-Millenium-Falcons.

They should do a Live-Action show or something more adult oriented for that. I have the feeling that more older people are interested in that period. Little kids will love Jedis at any time period, but I think that era is more for adults.

Also, they need to do everything a bit different. i know, it rhymes and nostalgia, bla bla, but I dont want to see Almost-Darth-Vaders and Almost-Tie-Fighter hunting Almost-Millenium-Falcons.

It also needs to feel old too. And you're right, it needs to be more adult because that is what a lot of the fans of that era are now.

The problem is a live action TV show would be expensive as fuck. :/

RyanW

Decided to jump in on Funko's Smuggler's Bounty for next month. Will probably just pay a month to month basis depending on what they're offering. Pretty cool that you can go back and by previous boxes. Might have to jump on the Rogue One bounty later.

Malyse

The problem is a live action TV show would be expensive as fuck. :/

I have one word for you: Netflix.

Watch Brick and Brothers Bloom too. Esp. Brick.

----

Speaking of Carrie Fisher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCXrGuLix7M

Is there anything in KOTOR that contradicts canon?

The entire era is currently only detailed via the occasional reference as far as I'm aware, so no, not really. The biggest thing was Korriban becoming Moraband, but officially the discrepancy has been handwaved (an ancient planet could have gone by many names).

MrDaravon

Probably late to the party on this one, but I saw the comixology sale on all of the Star Wars comics, and I've been meaning to grab some/all of them for a good while but never got around to it. I prefer physical copies of things but these are pretty great prices. Any books that I should specifically make sure to get or to avoid?

Fj0823

He was asked his rankings of the movies a few months back, he put TFA behind some of the prequels. When asked why he said he wasn't a big fan of nostalgia.

Likely Menace and Sith, no way he liked Clones more.

But yeah, I'm happy someone like Pablo is taking care of Star Wars. Hopefully the story group will make sure to avoid more nostalgia overloads going forward.

Rogue One has an acceptable amount of Nostalgia imo. Hopefully they keep it at that level.

Probably late to the party on this one, but I saw the comixology sale on all of the Star Wars comics, and I've been meaning to grab some/all of them for a good while but never got around to it. I prefer physical copies of things but these are pretty great prices. Any books that I should specifically make sure to get or to avoid?
Vader and Lando are my favourites, though Kanan, Star Wars, Shattered Empire and Obi-Wan and Anakin are good too. Chewie and Leia are OK but they'd be bottom of my list.

Top Bottom