• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Been watching Star Wars Rebels, enjoy most of it, but pretty much my main complaint upon further reflection is how it makes the supposedly fearsome Empire look like incompetent buffoons. I get it's meant to be a kid's show, but it's canon and is rather detrimental to the lore. I'm fine with the Rebels winning occasionally during decisive battles due to better strategies and more highly skilled individuals, but it gets all rather predictable and dull watching the Rebels in the show have barely any setbacks and winning handily every single time. Rogue One is how you should do Star Wars combat. Really captures the feeling of struggle against a superior in numbers force.

I've a question for years and want to know the answer, even it is silly!
I watched the original trilogy as a kid and remembered Darth Sidious when I was watching the prequel trilogy. But somehow I didn't know Palpatine is Sidious in episode 1 (or maybe even spisode 2, but I'm not sure).
I didn't know the actor (Ian McDiarmid) was in both original and prequel trilogies and maybe there were some dialogues in that episode or original trilogy I couldn't understand (English isn't my native language and I was 11 when I watched episode 1 without subtitle), but I want to know did normal people (not die hard Star Wars fans) know about Palpatine after watching episode 1, or it was a surprise for next episodes?!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've a question for years and want to know the answer, even it is silly!
I watched the original trilogy as a kid and remembered Darth Sidious when I was watching the prequel trilogy. But somehow I didn't know Palpatine is Sidious in episode 1 (or maybe even spisode 2, but I'm not sure).
I didn't know the actor (Ian McDiarmid) was in both original and prequel trilogies and maybe there were some dialogues in that episode or original trilogy I couldn't understand (English isn't my native language and I was 11 when I watched episode 1 without subtitle), but I want to know did normal people (not die hard Star Wars fans) know about Palpatine after watching episode 1, or it was a surprise for next episodes?!
I had a official Lexikon licenced from Lucasfilm, where you got a couple of pages every two weeks. Its canon on the time of publication went up to right after TPM and it listened Darth Sidious and the Emporer as different persons... So even Lucasfilm thought it were different persons.

I had a official Lexikon licenced from Lucasfilm, where you got a couple of pages every two weeks. Its canon on the time of publication went up to right after TPM and it listened Darth Sidious and the Emporer as different persons... So even Lucasfilm thought it were different persons.
Thanks! That's interesting.

Been watching Star Wars Rebels, enjoy most of it, but pretty much my main complaint upon further reflection is how it makes the supposedly fearsome Empire look like incompetent buffoons. I get it's meant to be a kid's show, but it's canon and is rather detrimental to the lore. I'm fine with the Rebels winning occasionally during decisive battles due to better strategies and more highly skilled individuals, but it gets all rather predictable and dull watching the Rebels in the show have barely any setbacks and winning handily every single time. Rogue One is how you should do Star Wars combat. Really captures the feeling of struggle against a superior in numbers force.
You have seen the Original Trilogy right?
Anyway are you past S1 yet? I absolutely despised 95% of the show at that point.

What's the best black series figure? K-2SO looks great..I can afford only one :)
Sculpt , design and overall:
Black-Series-Ahsoka-22.jpg

Quality and quantity of paint apps:
Hasbro-Star-Wars-Black-Series-Sabine-Wren-guns-up.jpg
K2SO, Scarif trooper, Boba Fett are honorable mentions.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
You have seen the Original Trilogy right?
Anyway are you past S1 yet? I absolutely despised 95% of the show at that point.

K2SO, Scarif trooper, Boba Fett are honorable mentions.

Thanks! But I think I'll go with K2SO if I buy one. I don't like the plastic they use for skin tones..

I wish there was a range of figures between the black series and hot toys. something in the 100€ price range..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Does it really get better after season 1? By which I mean, does Chopper die?
Sadly no. I followed a "main story episode" guide. So I watched like 5 episodes of season 2 which was really nice and these 5 episodes were interesting and fun

But I can't find the guide anymore -.-..sorry!

Does it really get better after season 1? By which I mean, does Chopper die?
Don't know how much he actually changed but I felt that same way however I actually legitimately like chopper now.
He kinda went from an annoying Disney sidekick pet towards K2SO a bit.
Same for Zeb he becomes more likeable as well.
Sabine despite being inherently cool, isn't really done anything with until S3.

I mean S2 is still a kids show and it always will be but it was definitely a push in the right direction.
I'd say 3 is a legitimately good season

sphagnum

Banned
So SW.com confirmed that the Chopper in the movie is literally the one from Rebels Recon.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-rebels-easter-eggs-and-connections-in-rogue-one

StarWars.com: Just from a personal, this-is-awesome perspective, tell us about being on set and operating Chopper.

Matt Martin: It was really surreal. I wasn’t actually there for the purpose of operating a droid. The Rogue One production team asked to have Chop shipped over and we were more than happy to do so. An animated character in a live action movie…and it’s OUR Chopper! Awesome! [Editor’s note: The Chopper droid used in the film belongs to the StarWars.com team, and is featured weekly in Rebels Recon.]

A few weeks later I was sent over to help produce some behind-the-scenes content for StarWars.com and it happened to be when they were shooting in the Yavin set. I saw my buddy Chopper sitting there with all the other droids, as well as some of my friends who were brought onto the production to build and operate the droids. When Chopper was called in for one of the scenes, Lee Towersey on the droid team just handed me Chop’s control and said, “You know how to do this, right?”

You can’t really tell since it’s so brief in the film, but the scene was actually really intense. It was the most challenging droid-driving I’ve ever done. There had to be at least 30 extras running around, as well as a little personnel transport thing, and I had to make sure Chop didn’t crash into any of them or impede their motion. It was very nerve-wracking at first, especially because I was in a position where I couldn’t see very well. Eventually I found my way up onto a gantry and things were a bit easier. I’m pretty sure I never ruined a take, but one time Genevieve O’Reilly [Mon Mothma] accidentally bumped into the droid, she looked around, spotted me holding the control on the gantry and mouthed, “I’m sorry!” I’d expect nothing less from a former senator.

effzee

I mean...the Dark Side seduces and corrupts those strong in the force. That those will likely include Jedi more than once isn't really a stretch. A lot of the history the movie tells us includes that happening in the past. That whole scenario is essentially one of the main conflicts for the Jedi as a whole.

Not too mention the situation with the Jedi between the PT and TFA is considerably different.

As far as exactly what happened and why it happened... well we don't know yet. Seems a little odd to be upset that we already don't have all the answers from two movies that don't exist yet.

Well its not that I am upset at the mysteries not yet solved its just TFA's storyline is just so much of the same happening over again that it left a bad taste in my mouth.

As a stand alone movie its great fun and very enjoyable. But to me, as it fits right now in the larger canon, it just the same exact events, plot twists, and story over again.

She was my first crush as a kid.

I already thought it was likely she wouldn't be long for this world after the reports, even if she made it through. Watching the CGI Leia on R1 was hard because of that.

She's so hilarious in that interview.

“Carrie holds such a special place in the hearts of everyone at Lucasfilm it is difficult to think of a world without her. She was Princess Leia to the world but a very special friend to all of us. She had an indomitable spirit, incredible wit, and a loving heart. Carrie also defined the female hero of our age over a generation ago. Her groundbreaking role as Princess Leia served as an inspiration of power and confidence for young girls everywhere. We will miss her dearly.” – Kathleen Kennedy, President, Lucasfilm

“Carrie Fisher was one-of-a-kind, a true character who shared her talent and her truth with us all with her trademark wit and irreverence. Millions fell in love with her as the indomitable Princess Leia; she will always have a special place in the hearts of Star Wars fans as well as all of us who were lucky enough to know her personally. She will be sorely missed, and we join millions of fans and friends around the world who mourn her loss today.” – Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company

http://www.starwars.com/news/carrie-fisher-our-princess-passes-away

Between the Blurays and it just being on TV on TNT the last few weeks, I have already watched the OT a few times recently. Yet, I want to watch it again now.

Surfinn

She was incredible.. Terrible news.

She's one of the main reasons why ANH is my favorite film of all time.

One of a kind on and off the screen.

I've started to dig in to the "new EU," so to speak, and have started with the Darth Vader graphic novel series. I noticed that there's a seemingly related one-off title called Vader Down. Is this related to the 25-issue Darth Vader run? If so, where does it fit?

I've started to dig in to the "new EU," so to speak, and have started with the Darth Vader graphic novel series. I noticed that there's a seemingly related one-off title called Vader Down. Is this related to the 25-issue Darth Vader run? If so, where does it fit?

It's a small run b/w the main SW comic and Darth Vader:

l0vApxB.jpg

Vader Down is a crossover between the Star Wars book and Vader. It contains issues 13, 14 and 15 of Vader and concludes a few story threads, so it's part of the 25 issue run. It's definitely not my favourite part of the run but it's worth reading for some Vader badassery if nothing else.

20% through Aftermath: Life Debt. This shit is like startlingly good.

Just read the Acolytes interlude. Hope these fuckers show up again somewhere. WOW.

3N16MA

Banned
Always avoided this thread as I'm not sure how much the future films are discussed without spoiler tags. Is it safe in here or should I just move along?

Always avoided this thread as I'm not sure how much the future films are discussed without spoiler tags. Is it safe in here or should I just move along?

It's safe. We don't talk spoilers unless they are marked. There is actually an episode 8 production thread with spoilers. Welcome!

Top Bottom