• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has gone gold

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
That would be pre 99, the prequels sucked and that was all George Lucas; every Star wars fan seems to suck this guys nuts..but he had almost nothing to do with ’Empire Strikes Back‘ or ‘Return of the Jedi’; Irvin Kershner directed the second, and Richard Marquand the third.

Even so, he is a creative genius and father of SW and Indiana Jones. Talents like him nowadays, let me think... error404.

Prequels weren't a thing back then. The word didn't even exist. What Lucas did was revolutionary. Yes, those movies were disappointing, because he sucks at writing and nobody dared to question any of his decisions.

Lokaum D+

530346199-xxx-19.webp

Even so, he is a creative genius and father of SW and Indiana Jones. Talents like him nowadays, let me think... error404.

Prequels weren't a thing back then. The word didn't even exist. What Lucas did was revolutionary. Yes, those movies were disappointing, because he sucks at writing and nobody dared to question any of his decisions.
Godfather part 2?

SJRB

Gold Member
Might check it out on Ubi+ and cancel the sub after 1 month

Totally depends on reviews though but I'm not expecting anything amazing

This is the most important pro-tip I can give. Sub to Ubi+ for a couple of bucks, play the game until you’re bored and then unsubscribe.

You’ll get the ultra deluxe edition to play for a month and it will only set you back like 10 bucks.

March Climber

Gold Member
You know this may sound crazy, but would you believe that once a upon a time, Star Wars used to be cool? People even considered it good.
I'm sure this will be a fine game, but I just can't get myself to be excited for another Star Wars game at this point, at all.

Not a hot take: On average, Star Wars video games have been much, much better than the movies and TV shows.

If anything the franchise is currently being carried by it’s video games, much like Indiana Jones is about to be.

Nydius

This is the most important pro-tip I can give. Sub to Ubi+ for a couple of bucks, play the game until you’re bored and then unsubscribe.

You’ll get the ultra deluxe edition to play for a month and it will only set you back like 10 bucks.

Precisely what I plan on doing myself. I see no reason to pay full price for it when I can beat it in a one month sub and have time left over to play the Avatar DLC (and maybe more, depending on how long Outlaws is). Should have subbed for Avatar when it came out instead of paying full price. If Ubisoft wants to market the hell out of their "day one on Ubisoft+", I'll gladly save my money and only pay $17.99 for single player games I'm interested in rather than $70+.

If anything the franchise is currently being carried by it’s video games, much like Indiana Jones is about to be.

That's a bold prediction considering we've seen very little of the actual gameplay, just curated cutscenes. What little bit of gameplay we have seen has looked pretty rough. I need to see a lot more gameplay segments before I'm willing to say Indy Jones is going to move the needle on a dying Boomer's franchise.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Even if Disney hadn't completely killed any excitement in me for Star Wars, giving any money to them is about as attractive to me as using sand paper to file nails.

The only way I'd be even less inclined to spend money on this would be if it was developed by Blizzard or EA.
Not that Ubi is much better, mind you...

March Climber

Gold Member
That's a bold prediction considering we've seen very little of the actual gameplay, just curated cutscenes. What little bit of gameplay we have seen has looked pretty rough. I need to see a lot more gameplay segments before I'm willing to say Indy Jones is going to move the needle on a dying Boomer's franchise.
I’ve had fun with every MachineGames title so far, and now they’re about to include first person whip mechanics (including a disarm and parry) on top of that.

I’m not saying this game is going to sell insane numbers, but I think it will do good enough to make people in modern times care about Indiana Jones as a video game franchise, not a movie franchise.

Always been such a star wars fan but I just can't get excited about this game or any of the shitty shows they keep pumping out. They've made far too much mediocre or just bad SW content and a lot of people have just lost interest.

Given it’s a scoundrels game, why can’t you just play as Han Solo with Chewie as your side-kick? Lando turning up now and then - and you fly the millenium falcon everywhere.

Seems like such a no-brainer when you have the IP.

Disney’s theory that the characters are irrelevant and it just the ‘galaxy’ that is the draw has been shown to be bullshit. Rogue One was epic because it all hung on the events (and characters) of the first beloved film.

My son watched the Disney films the other week - it is hard explaining them after the originals.

So, we have to route for stormtroopers to be shot to bits, even though they are people of colour snatched from their birth parents at a young age? Yep!

But we cheer for Kylo Ren at the end, even though he murdered Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and five whole planets with billions of people on them? YES!

I wonder what story they will give the stormtroopers in this to make ploughing through hordes of them with a blaster okay.

Last edited:

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
I love StarWars but I’m not certain I can stomach yet another obnoxious, overly masculine, female main character. I’m sorry, Ma’am Solo just isn’t appealing to me on any level.

Dr.Morris79

Given it’s a scoundrels game, why can’t you just play as Han Solo with Chewie as your side-kick? Lando turning up now and then - and you fly the millenium falcon everywhere.

Seems like such a no-brainer when you have the IP.

Disney’s theory that the characters are irrelevant and it just the ‘galaxy’ that is the draw has been shown to be bullshit. Rogue One was epic because it all hung on the events (and characters) of the first beloved film.
Disney wants 'modern' fans

You racist boomer bigot. The force is lesbian super warriors.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I expect an extremely mid game shit out by an algorithm and ChatGPT level writing.
I really think chatGpt can write better than the modern millennium/genZ writter. At least wont have the woke plague/bias.

"ChatGpt do you know Han Solo ? Do you Know classic star wars lore ? Than write a Han Solo solo adventure" at least something coherent and lore guided would come out of this.

What you usually have is some purple hair writter that hates star wars, hate the target audience and thinks they can re-write the lore because he/she/they are a genius.. even though he probably never saw any of the movies outside Disney Star Wars and thinks Last Jedi is brilliant.

Inviusx

Press previews were pretty clear about the state of things and being 2 months from launch doesn't really inspire any hope that major fixes to the games design will take place.

Definitely sounds like your classic "76/100, doesn't fully realise its potential but there is enjoyment to be had if you look past its many flaws" kinda game.

TYRiAX

Totally dropped off Star Wars but loved the Jedi games. So if this is at least 70% as good as those games I'll happily buy it during some future sale

Aside from Siege addicts, do you guys think there’s a guy out there whose main gaming platform is UbiConnect? Just lives for the yearly Assassins Creed, has a Far Cry tattoo. Unironically thinks Watch Dogs is an all time great franchise. Has a 170 hour Avatar save and hundreds of UbiConnect friends? I mean, for a company the size of Ubisoft there has to be at least one right? You’d think there would be thousands.
Yeah and he sings "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do" by Three Dog Night

Solarstrike

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Star Wars Jedi series by Respawn, which are excellent. I still have hope in the Force.

Adventure Explore GIF by Ubisoft
Outlaws Explore GIF by Ubisoft
Empire Stormtrooper GIF by Ubisoft

Last edited:
Top Bottom