• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War's Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I blew threw most of this book on the flight back from Ft. Lauderdale on Sat then finished it up last night. Zahn has been one of my favorite authors in the SW universe, and this lastest book definitely holds up. It's interesting because while writing it he had to tread a fine line since the book isn't directly involved in the NJO series but does take place after it... so he goes out of his way to only vaguely reference NJO type items. Did Zahn create Thrawn? I can't remember however that character has an influence that has stretched through so many books... and once again his actions have affected this book.

Zahn's next book apparently is a prequel to most of the books out, and deals specifically with the Outbound Flight project... what happened, etc.... I don't know that I'm particularly interested in it... though am curious at least about the last portion of the Flight and what created the feelings the current survivors have.

Anyway Zahn's book is as his usual level...

I haven't heard any murmurings of what's next in the SW book line as in new timeline stuff though... at least Zahn has clearly said he's doing the Outbound Flight story and that's it.

Tritroid

Yeah when it comes to SW novels, Zahn is definitely king. The Heir to the Empire trilogy is honestly the best out of all SW novels to date. And yes, it was during this trilogy that Zahn created Thrawn, to which other authors picked up on him and used him through multiple mention in their following novels, even though he technically died at the end of the trilogy. Zahn seems to keep trying to desperately bring him back up though, especially in the last duology he did.

I haven't read Survivor's Quest yet, but if it takes place after NJO, I'm definitely interested. Maybe I should pick and start reading SW novels again. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tritroid said:
Zahn seems to keep trying to desperately bring him back up though, especially in the last duology he did.
I loved that first trilogy as much as anyone, but Zahn's other Star Wars work has pissed me off with how he blatantly ignores the characters other authors have created and developed and just grabs his own again and magically makes them come together for another adventure. His Hand of Thrawn duo takes place a good 15 years or something after that trilogy, and suddenly all of his creations are back and in the midst of things, despite having no relevance inbetween.

I used to love the novels, but I haven't touched any in a bit. I still haven't finished out the New Jedi Order series. Just got tired of the same plots with the same characters. Can't say I'm too interested in Survivor's Quest either considering how Zahn just likes to make his characters seem extremely important. The dude did a ton to reignite the Star Wars phenomenon, but he let it get to his head.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I just finished reading "The Cestus Deception", which is a Clone Wars novel by Steven Barnes. I bought it primarily because I've liked Barnes' other work, particularly his collaborations with Larry Niven.

It's a good book. Has some cool clone stuff in it, and Asajj Ventress is kind of cool too. No Anakin at all, but LOTS of Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
BuddyChrist83 said:
I thought this one took place about two years after Visions of the Future, which basically set up NJO.
You're right, he's mixed up. It's definitely between the Hand of Thrawn duo and the NJO.

DarienA

Dan said:
You're right, he's mixed up. It's definitely between the Hand of Thrawn duo and the NJO.

Interesting... that makes some of the vague references even more strange.

DarienA

COCKLES said:
I'll never understand why Lucas didn't approach Zahn as co-writer for the Prequels.

Lucas? Approach someone else for co-writing on HIS baby? Fat chance. ;)

BuddyC

Save for one or two exceptions, Zahn's books are the only ones I can really handle anymore. I can understand where your complaints are coming from Dan, but it's really a no-win situation when a zillion writers have mucked about in the universe.

DarienA

BuddyChrist83 said:
Save for one or two exceptions, Zahn's books are the only ones I can really handle anymore. I can understand where your complaints are coming from Dan, but it's really a no-win situation when a zillion writers have mucked about in the universe.

True, I don't know any writer in the Universe whose kept every character and used them as they should be.... as much of a SW fan as I am even I have to accept that damn... some of these characters have been saving the galaxy for WAAAAY too long now.... Some of the stuff Han pulled off in the NJO series had me thinking... WTF... isn't he too old for this sh*t now?

dannyglover.jpg

Yes he IS too old for this shit!

See what I mean?

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarienA said:
Lucas? Approach someone else for co-writing on HIS baby? Fat chance. ;)

That's why he had a co-writer on Episode II and a co-writer on Episode III (who may go uncredited this time), right?

DarienA

ManaByte said:
That's why he had a co-writer on Episode II and a co-writer on Episode III (who may go uncredited this time), right?

Shock & F'n Awe... I don't remember ever seeing or hearing any mention of the co-writer on the extra's in the DVD... time to go ahuntin again....

EDIT: Jonathan Hales... had no idea... and... and all those logic gaps... remarkable... and I thought it was just Lucas who was off his rocker...

EDIT2: This guy co-wrote Scorpion King? ...... there are no words.... you mean it took TWO people to come up with that drek?

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarienA said:
Shock & F'n Awe... I don't remember ever seeing or hearing any mention of the co-writer on the extra's in the DVD... time to go ahuntin again....

EDIT: Jonathan Hales... had no idea... and... and all those logic gaps... remarkable... and I thought it was just Lucas who was off his rocker...

EDIT2: This guy co-wrote Scorpion King? ...... there are no words.... you mean it took TWO people to come up with that drek?

Hales wrote just about all of the love scenes in Episode II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom