• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star wars The Force Awakens makes $50 million in advance ticket sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/11/2...ont page)&utm_content=9&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Advance ticket sales for Star Wars: The Force Awakens have already generated over $50 million in sales for J.J. Abrams' upcoming sci-fi film.

This staggering figure, first reported by Wall Street Journal, is breaking records at various theater chains. In fact, Fandango confirmed to Variety that The Force Awakens is now the highest-grossing advance ticket-seller in the company's history, surpassing the first Hunger Games $25 million figure.

Force choke me if old.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm curious how this stacks up to The Phantom Menace after inflation. I remember with that most theaters didn't sell until 1 or 2 weeks beforehand and I don't think any theater was doing online sales, so you had to wait in line.

Still doesn't seem like TFA has hit Phantom Menace levels of hype yet (not to say there isn't a TON of hype for it).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And this is why we'll be getting a Star Wars movie every year. This right here.

unless the force awakens is utterly, objectively terrible and such terribleness is so unanimously agreed upon across the entire earth that kills star wars as a franchise once and for all

Jarmel

Banned
unless the force awakens is utterly, objectively terrible and such terribleness is so unanimously agreed upon across the entire earth that kills star wars as a franchise once and for all

The prequels exist so I think we're past that point already.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I for one am so glad the Scifi/fantasy age is completely back in gear after what feels like decades of dormancy. Star Treks back, Star Wars is back, Scifi films are in production with large budgets and pretty easy to green light.

Now all we need is a space race to flare up!

Star Wars survived The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (and to a lesser but still terrible extend, Revenge of the Sith), it basically got its arms, legs and torso cut off and is still alive and fighting. The Force Awakens can in no way be worse than those films, even if all it is is the scenes from the trailer decided up and replayed for 2 hours strait with a john williams score in the background.

tumblr_nvipy5Zs5c1qarx7po1_500.gif

inm8num2

Still doesn't seem like TFA has hit Phantom Menace levels of hype yet (not to say there isn't a TON of hype for it).

I was thinking about this the other day. TPM's hype was probably bigger in the "It's gonna be the best movie ever!" realm, but TFA seems bigger in the "Holy shit this thing is going to break the bank" realm. That's not to say that either is lacking in the other kind of hype.

TPM was the first SW movie in 16 years. Nobody knew what the hell to expect, so the hype probably got out of control for how good people wanted the movie to be. Again, that hype is there for TFA, but I don't think it's as out of control. Still rising and hitting some high levels.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I for one am so glad the Scifi/fantasy age is completely back in gear after what feels like decades of dormancy. Star Treks back, Star Wars is back, Scifi films are in production with large budgets and pretty easy to green light.

Now all we need is a space race to flare up!

Star Wars survived The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (and to a lesser but still terrible extend, Revenge of the Sith), it basically got its arms, legs and torso cut off and is still alive and fighting. The Force Awakens can in no way be worse than those films, even if all it is is the scenes from the trailer decided up and replayed for 2 hours strait with a john williams score in the background.

tumblr_nvipy5Zs5c1qarx7po1_500.gif

All the Phantom Menace seemed to do is dull the hype for the film. I remember the giant line to buy tickets for The Phantom Menace, and there being no line for the following films.

I was thinking about this the other day. TPM's hype was probably bigger in the "It's gonna be the best movie ever!" realm, but TFA seems bigger in the "Holy shit this thing is going to break the bank" realm. That's not to say that either is lacking in the other kind of hype.

TPM was the first SW movie in 16 years. Nobody knew what the hell to expect, so the hype probably got out of control for how good people wanted the movie to be. Again, that hype is there for TFA, but I don't think it's as out of control. Still rising and hitting some high levels.

If we start getting stories like "The Phantom Sickout" I'll say TFA is more hyped than Episode 1.

50 million? Only 50 million?!? I thought this was suppose to be sold out for an entire damned month? I mean, if it can't even break 2 billion before it releases, then it's destined to be the absolute biggest cinematic disaster in history...

jrcbandit

Wasnt this supposed to be four times bigger than the hunger games advanced tickets?

Highest December opening weekend sales is only $88 million. I doubt they are going to get pre-ticket sales in excess of that.... I also think it is ridiculous that some experts are predicting a $300 million opening weekend when it is in December and a time when alot of people will be traveling, finishing holiday shopping, or could encounter bad snowstorms.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm curious how this stacks up to The Phantom Menace after inflation. I remember with that most theaters didn't sell until 1 or 2 weeks beforehand and I don't think any theater was doing online sales, so you had to wait in line.

I only vaguely remember people being able to go and get advance tickets like a week or two before like you said. Shit definitely was sold out and I don't remember any movie being given that treatment before that.

Dear god the marketing though. So many people were trying to collect the damn Pepsi cans of all things just for instance. So much hype and speculation also.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah. I think he's the largest single stockholder, which is crazy.
Yes, the largest shareholders of Disney are Lauren Powell Jobs (Steve Jobs widow) and George Lucas.

"Star Wars is dead. People care more about Marvel these days."
It was absurd anyone was stupid enough to think this. Toy sales made this very very clear. Star Wars year in year out is the #1 "boys" toy brand, #2 overall behind Disney Princess in the years without a movie tie in to further increase its numbers.

For example more kids were buying Star Wars toys in 2012, a year before the Disney deal with no movie in sight the year of the release of the biggest Marvel movie to date the Avengers.

If the movie sucks it will be as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible will happen.

Raxus

If the movie sucks it will be as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible will happen.

I worry about it to considering the critics not getting advanced screenings. At least I am going for a friend so we can make fun of it if things go south.

pestul

I did my part.. 5x IMAX 3D tickets for opening weekend. They were surprisingly easy to buy too only 5 days ago.

Boke1879

I worry about it to considering the critics not getting advanced screenings. At least I am going for a friend so we can make fun of it if things go south.

To the movies credit already. They have people hooked in. The die hards will see this movie and even the people who like SW in general. IT's going to drag in a lot of people regardless. It really doesn't need advanced screenings.

If this movie is bad word will spread quicker than any critic can manage.

This places it in a virtual tie for #10 (w/ Peter Jackson's King Kong) in all-time December Opening Weekends.

The movie doesn't open for a month and it's already in the top 10 all-time for December.

Also, at least 2000 of it comes from this guy:

CUM5efpWsAAdS_g.jpg

entremet

Yes, the largest shareholders of Disney are Lauren Powell Jobs (Steve Jobs widow) and George Lucas.

It was absurd anyone was stupid enough to think this. Toy sales made this very very clear. Star Wars year in year out is the #1 "boys" toy brand, #2 overall behind Disney Princess in the years without a movie tie in to further increase its numbers.

For example more kids were buying Star Wars toys in 2012, a year before the Disney deal with no movie in sight the year of the release of the biggest Marvel movie to date the Avengers.

That's right. I forgot that Steve had tons of Disney stock.

I worry about it to considering the critics not getting advanced screenings.

This isn't true, really. It was just pretty shoddily reported by a bunch of entertainment sites.

Four critics groups who needed to see the movie by the beginning of December aren't having it screened for them. That's it. It appears regular critics/preview screenings will be occurring the Monday/Tuesday before the film actually opens.

When am I going to be able to see this with a normal, well behaved crowd? two weeks after release? three?

Opening night is probably your best bet for a well-behaved crowd, actually. The die-hards will absolutely shut themselves the fuck up once the movie begins.

They'll be obnoxious as shit before the movie starts, absolutely. But those 7pm previews on Thursday night will likely feature the quietest audiences while the movie's running.

Cheebo

Banned
When am I going to be able to see this with a normal, well behaved crowd? two weeks after release? three?
In my experience the more excited the crowd is about a movie the more behaved they are. They tend to shut right up the second the movie starts because they actually want to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom