• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star wars The Force Awakens makes $50 million in advance ticket sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Combining this with the merchandising, the movie has probably already made its budget back at least twice.

Cheebo

Banned
This places it in a virtual tie for #10 (w/ Peter Jackson's King Kong) in all-time December Opening Weekends.

The movie doesn't open for a month and it's already in the top 10 all-time for December.

Also, at least 2000 of it comes from this guy:

CUM5efpWsAAdS_g.jpg

I wonder if he realize he got the wrong day if he wanted to go to the premiere. Those tickets are for the 18th, not the actually opening on the 17th.

industrian

Why would you scalp tickets for 23 hours after the premiere?

Like with most scalpers he assumes that everything will be sold out (in this case, for the first few days of the movie's release) allowing him to profit from it.

Why would you scalp tickets for 23 hours after the premiere? There is an excess of movie screens in the US.

Maybe he's a professor and he's taking all 180 students to see the new Star Wars

that's also why its a day after the premiere, its a Saturday so they won't have class

Opening night is probably your best bet for a well-behaved crowd, actually. The die-hards will absolutely shut themselves the fuck up once the movie begins.

They'll be obnoxious as shit before the movie starts, absolutely. But those 7pm previews on Thursday night will likely feature the quietest audiences while the movie's running.

One of the few people that gets it. I always try and explain that to coworkers about opening night crowds.

The crowds are usually huge at opening night, but are just as excited to see the movie without any drama as you are. They will provide an energy to the screening that you can't replicate at a later showing, but will also cut anyone that dares to disrupt the screening.

numble

Like with most scalpers he assumes that everything will be sold out (in this case, for the first few days of the movie's release) allowing him to profit from it.

Your theory isn't likely given the excess of screens and the huge ceiling it would take. If it is sold out for the first few days of the movie's release, I think that would give it a $600-$700 million opening weekend (and the record is under $210 million).

Anth0ny

When the Star Wars logo pops up and that opening crawl begins I expect my theatre to explode on the 17th.

I'll be at the marathon in downtown Toronto.

I honestly hope that this doesn't start a trend of super hyping movies and making tickets available for sale months in advance. I mean. Whatever, it doesn't really affect me, but it's dumb.

Raxus

This isn't true, really. It was just pretty shoddily reported by a bunch of entertainment sites.

Four critics groups who needed to see the movie by the beginning of December aren't having it screened for them. That's it. It appears regular critics/preview screenings will be occurring the Monday/Tuesday before the film actually opens.

Thanks for clearing that up. It is my fault for not looking into it. Some GAF titles can be deceptive. Puts me at ease.

Your theory isn't likely given the excess of screens and the huge ceiling it would take. If it is sold out for the first few days of the movie's release, I think that would give it a $600-$700 million opening weekend (and the record is under $210 million).

I'm pretty sure even if the first few days are sold out it wouldn't come remotely close to 600 million, more like half that.

Opening night is probably your best bet for a well-behaved crowd, actually. The die-hards will absolutely shut themselves the fuck up once the movie begins.

They'll be obnoxious as shit before the movie starts, absolutely. But those 7pm previews on Thursday night will likely feature the quietest audiences while the movie's running.

You mean the audience that will cheer and holler when certain things appear? Shit happens with every Marvel 7:00PM showing as well. Happened with Friday the 13th Reboot at the only midnight showing in Guildford, Surrey and there was around 10 people watching.

industrian

I'm reflecting on a scalper's mindset, not postulating a theory.

That and I didn't mean sold out nationwide. For all we know this guy could live in an area with only a couple of cinemas.

But with everything said I don't know which is worse: a guy spending a few thousand dollars on an economy-class private screening, or a guy spending a few thousand dollars hoping to double his money through his belief that tickets will be hard to find in his area.

BraXzy

Highest December opening weekend sales is only $88 million. I doubt they are going to get pre-ticket sales in excess of that.... I also think it is ridiculous that some experts are predicting a $300 million opening weekend when it is in December and a time when alot of people will be traveling, finishing holiday shopping, or could encounter bad snowstorms.

Was there a specific reason as to why this didn't wait till Summer to break banks? I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure even if the first few days are sold out it wouldn't come remotely close to 600 million, more like half that.

Entirely comes down to how many screens it opens on. With little competition, and this insane demand - it'll easily beat the record established by New Moon (Yes, Twilight currently holds the record at 8,500 screens).

I think $300M is attainable with the level of demand, but it'd require theaters selling out round-the-clock showings - and weather conditions not becoming an issue

Was there a specific reason as to why this didn't wait till Summer to break banks? I can't remember.

Film was scheduled for this summer, got pushed at JJ's request. They probably didn't want to delay a full year, or compete against themselves with films they already had set for Summer '16.

Boke1879

When the Star Wars logo pops up and that opening crawl begins I expect my theatre to explode on the 17th.

I'll be at the marathon in downtown Toronto.

I'll be seeing it on the 18th at 7pm. You know what my biggest fear is? Everyone standing in that long ass line and then some jackass just screams the movie out spoiling it

btrboyev

I'll be seeing it on the 18th at 7pm. You know what my biggest fear is? Everyone standing in that long ass line and then some jackass just screams the movie out spoiling it

Same here, knowing that showings start on the 17th, I fear being completely spoiled before I go in. I'm already planning on avoiding the Internet days in advance.

This places it in a virtual tie for #10 (w/ Peter Jackson's King Kong) in all-time December Opening Weekends.

The movie doesn't open for a month and it's already in the top 10 all-time for December.

CUM5efpWsAAdS_g.jpg

Tiffany done fucked up. You know some jackass from 4chan is going to burst in his little private session to make a loud commotion. $2180 wasted.

numble

I'm reflecting on a scalper's mindset, not postulating a theory.

That and I didn't mean sold out nationwide. For all we know this guy could live in an area with only a couple of cinemas.

But with everything said I don't know which is worse: a guy spending a few thousand dollars on an economy-class private screening, or a guy spending a few thousand dollars hoping to double his money through his belief that tickets will be hard to find in his area.

The theater is in Anaheim, which is in one of the largest urban metropolitan areas in the US (Los Angeles/Southern California).

Cheebo

Banned
The movie opens the 18th. The 17th are special showings.
I wouldn't call it special. Every theater shows it on Thursday that is showing the film Friday, it's not limited and there are tons of back to back showings started at 7:00 it's anything but special or limited.

Loomba

CUM5efpWsAAdS_g.jpg

So he is either scalping the tickets or depriving an entire showing of release day viewing. Either way it's a scumbag move imo.

Ahhh yeah. I got my tickets the second they went on sale. I booked some of the last seats in the theatre and when I went to check out they had been taken so I quicky went to the 10pm show and got to choose first and grabbed the best seats in the house. I refreshed it right after my purchase and it was sold out. Just got it in time. I was like holy shit.

Monocle

In my opinion this movie is going to be somewhat popular. It will probably at least break even, anyway.

In my opinion this movie is going to be somewhat popular. It will probably at least break even, anyway.

...... WHAT?!?!?!?!? wtf? no /s no jk..........

Uhh I dunno what delusions you live under but this thing will make bank in the first week if not the first 3 days.

billeh

CUM5efpWsAAdS_g.jpg
Given the terrible movie etiquette I've seen the last few movies I've gone to, I can't say I don't blame him. If I had the money I'd do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom