• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

How the hell can I see the comparative stat changes for armor/weapons on my companion? I'm not seeing it...

It's in the options under tooltip. It says something like "companion items" or something like that. Just check it off.

Sigh, I caved guys. I bought it. This game was just too much fun during the early access. bye-bye skyrim.

erragal

On republic side when I play pvp, I've been in many matches where I saw nothing but Sith on the other side, not a single BH and hardly any IA. On the other end I see alot of troopers on the Rep side

For all the class forum fear in beta, IA is clearly the least popular empire class. Shadow is far and away the most popular. Not sure how Republic side skews though...probably similarly.

Sethos

Banned
Some really good looking places in the game

lo1uz.png

Man, what the fuck!? The game isn't letting me into any flashpoints. I've reset the phase and the quests themselves related to flashpoints. What gives? I did one fine yesterday. :mad:

Dunlop

For all the class forum fear in beta, IA is clearly the least popular empire class. Shadow is far and away the most popular. Not sure how Republic side skews though...probably similarly.

I rolled BH specifically because there was SO MANY inquisitors during beta and my buddy was rolling a IA

..now I see Merc's everywhere

KJTB

Woke up this morning to find the no active subscription thing. Spent forever rummaging through my emails and finally found my newer product key after being a moron and trying to put in my pre release code in over and over. I was freakin out a little, had the phone ready to call customer support...

Proc

Just picked up the game, really excited to join the Gaf server on NA empire.

I know I want to be a tank...I love tanking Cataclysm heroics.

I'm thinking either power tech or assassin. Decisions, decisions.

Probably Assasin since tanking as a rogue with magic sounds so cool.

Sethos

Banned
Can anyone point me to a Marauder build? Hate just plonking down skill points in trees, I'd like some theory crafting going and maximum damage.

vjoe

Neo Member
Can somebody get the digital copy from the Origin store for me and I would pay him/her through paypal. Origin won't accept my non-US credit card or paypal :(

mcrae

any word on whether you can re-spec at any point in the game? dont wanna spend the next 3 hours researching builds before i progress to level 12 :/

Wallach

any word on whether you can re-spec at any point in the game? dont wanna spend the next 3 hours researching builds before i progress to level 12 :/

You can re-spec skills for a credit fee (cost increases each time you do so), but not your advanced class.

markatisu

Looks like I'll be trying this over winter holiday now that I get a week off, how bad the queues now that it is live?

I have not had to wait more than 35-40min and I am on one of the heaviest servers there is (The Harbinger)

I often play between 6p-1a CST

I have never ever seen the 1-4hr queue some people complain about, longest ever I know of was my brother was stuck in a 2 1/2hr queue 2 days before EGA ended

Alchemy

I have not had to wait more than 35-40min and I am on one of the heaviest servers there is (The Harbinger)

I often play between 6p-1a CST

I have never ever seen the 1-4hr queue some people complain about, longest ever I know of was my brother was stuck in a 2 1/2hr queue 2 days before EGA ended

Is there a way to check server pop before purchase? Hyper Cannon is the server I'll probably be on since I know a bunch of people there. Trying to see if I can fit this game into my week of crunch to polish off Skyward Sword and Arkham City.

Wallach

Is there a way to check server pop before purchase? Hyper Cannon is the server I'll probably be on since I know a bunch of people there. Trying to see if I can fit this game into my week of crunch to polish off Skyward Sword and Arkham City.

Myself and Giolon play on Hyperspace Cannon, and it is one of the most populated servers. The longest queue I personally saw was like 40 minutes or something, but I haven't seen anything even half as long since then.

Wallach

Anyone with ATI running AA, does it slow it down a lot?

On my 5850, using 4xMSAA (not adaptive, so no transparency AA) it's always 30-60 FPS at max in-game settings. All over the place in that range though; turning shadows from high to low probably puts the min FPS closer to 45 and the average around 55-60.

Adaptive AA will hurt a lot more because this game uses a huge amount of transparencies.

So I decide to join a PvP Zone and there's nothing but level 50s and 30s ... wat? What am I doing here at level 11

The game scales your stats up to that of higher level players. It lets you compete with other players of higher level, but you are at disadvantage of having lack of abilities. Like everyone else has sprint but you won't till 14 so you are slower than everyone.

sangreal

So I decide to join a PvP Zone and there's nothing but level 50s and 30s ... wat? What am I doing here at level 11

There are no brackets, everyone is scaled to the same level. This kind of works out alright, but the problem is the 50s have way more talents and skills

Seefer

Neo Member
Well this is just fantastic.

Installed it, load it up, watch the nice little intro, crash to desktop.
A fluke, I gather.

Launch it again, crash to desktop.

Reinstalled nVidia drivers (latest, and betas)
Reinstalled Windows 7... (there was a lot of crap on this desktop, thought I'd start from scratch)

Reinstalled SWTOR again from the discs.

Load it up, hello desktop.

Needless to say, little bit annoyed.

Checked the ol' Event Viewer;

So, I'm fully out of ideas.

edit: scratch that, i got it working and i have no idea how.
after running the launcher so many times, and killing it in task manager, the next time i launched it, when i hit play - it made me agree to the EULA which it didn't do before, and I had the repair option under the little gear at the bottom left.
this time, when I agreed and hit play - I was in and it works!

makes no sense at all to me, but hey, i'm in!

My advice to all PC gamers out there is to never install your games to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directories. Windows Vista and Windows 7 apply read/write restrictions to these directories and some games and installers have issues working under this tighter security.

I always choose the Custom installation path option when installing games and install them to a Games directory on the root of one of my hard disks. All my games are on my second hard disk and the path for them is D:\Games\ so in the case of SWTOR my install path would read C:\Games\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\.

Try reinstalling SWTOR again and this time choose a Custom path and keep it out of those Program Files directories. This should eradicate a whole host of potential problems.

Sethos

Banned
I get the daily quest.

I win a match

Get fuck all.

All through the match it was just 4 people ganging up on me, no clue where my teammates was.

PvP sucks.

There are no brackets, everyone is scaled to the same level. This kind of works out alright, but the problem is the 50s have way more talents and skills

I noticed, it fucking sucks.

I get the daily quest.

I win a match

Get fuck all.

All through the match it was just 4 people ganging up on me, no clue where my teammates was.

PvP sucks.

It's not fun at all early on because you lack any abilities. Never had trouble finding players, the respawn system also makes sure you generally spawn with other players at all times too so everyone is not lone wolfing it. Not having sprint at early levels makes it also suck early on since everyone outruns you and your always playing catch up. Really wouldn't touch PVP till your closer to 20 and have your actual AC doing what it's supposed to do. At 11 your AC really does not actually have the ability to play it's designed role.

You get Valor points for playing PVP, it's listed in the score board at end of the matches, if your team won the match you got points for sure, you can see your valor on your character sheet when you press C, next to your alignment.

sangreal

I like the pvp and I'm generally pretty good at it, but on my server it seems to be huttball 24/7. I've seen one other map just once. Apparently it is due to an imbalance in empire/republic, with huttball being the only gametype that you can play against your own faction

Lilsnubby

I don't know that I've ever had a better Bioware experience than the Imp Agent story. So good. I'm trying not to get completely obsessed with this game but I'm swirling around the vortex now.

Alex

I was pretty sour on healing at first but once it kicks in on Agent it becomes quite fun. The pacing and resource model makes it a lot more engaging than the standard raidframe whack-a-mole without being frustrating (thus far).

On the other end, I made a post on it last night, Bounty Hunter tanking has been a blast for me as well, most I've taken to a tank since Paladin on years-ago FFXI, there's just something about it, it's very involved but not rigid at all. I'm finicky on tanks though, only ever liked Warrior on WoW and mostly just because of the toolbox. Warrior at Cata cap was rad and felt like a swiss army knife to the plastic spork of the Paladin

I don't know that I've ever had a better Bioware experience than the Imp Agent story. So good. I'm trying not to get completely obsessed with this game but I'm swirling around the vortex now.

Agree, it is def the best one of the three I've spent a bit of time with. Sith Inquis wasn't for me, don't care about the whole classical Star Wars mantra, Bounty Hunter (my main char atm) is quite lively and interesting and Agent (wifes) I want a full blown game of.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a fellow Imperial Agent here and I got to agree that it's got to be one of Bioware's best written stories for a primary character. Everything about it has just been sooo good.

Moaradin

Gotta agree on the imperial agent. The role that you play in the universe is just so well done. Makes you feel like you are actually an agent in this time period.

squidyj

I was pretty sour on healing at first but once it kicks in on Agent it becomes quite fun. The pacing and resource model makes it a lot more engaging than the standard raidframe whack-a-mole without being frustrating (thus far).

On the other end, I made a post on it last night, Bounty Hunter tanking has been a blast for me as well, most I've taken to a tank since Paladin on years-ago FFXI, there's just something about it, it's very involved but not rigid at all. I'm finicky on tanks though, only ever liked Warrior on WoW and mostly just because of the toolbox. Warrior at Cata cap was rad and felt like a swiss army knife to the plastic spork of the Paladin

Agree, it is def the best one of the three I've spent a bit of time with. Sith Inquis wasn't for me, don't care about the whole classical Star Wars mantra, Bounty Hunter (my main char atm) is quite lively and interesting and Agent (wifes) I want a full blown game of.

I made my Agent an Operative because hey, healing but I'm regretting that decision now because if I want to do damage it feels very incoherent, I've got skills like snipe and probe that I have to drop into cover for and skills like backstab and shiv that require me to get up close and personal for.

Wallach

I was pretty sour on healing at first but once it kicks in on Agent it becomes quite fun. The pacing and resource model makes it a lot more engaging than the standard raidframe whack-a-mole without being frustrating (thus far).On the other end, I made a post on it last night, but Bounty Hunter tanking has been a blast for me as well, most I've taken to a tank since Paladin on years-ago FFXI, there's just something about it. I'm finicky on tanks though, only ever liked Warrior on WoW and mostly just because of the toolbox.

I've made a few posts about healing in TOR; I really feel like the core problem is that healers don't get their skills early enough. You really don't heal with that many tools, and some of them you don't get until 30-40, so all of the time you spend healing earlier than that feels off. It's because you're just straight up missing certain abilities the healer was designed around. They need to draw down the level where healers fill up their toolboxes somehow. Much worse in PvP than PvE, as the bolster mechanic benefits damage more than it does healing, which magnifies the lack of healing functionality at lower levels.

erragal

I made my Agent an Operative because hey, healing but I'm regretting that decision now because if I want to do damage it feels very incoherent, I've got skills like snipe and probe that I have to drop into cover for and skills like backstab and shiv that require me to get up close and personal for.

Overload Shot is supposed to be your non-cooldown DPS ability as an Operative. You get 15% more damage with it and it's a non-cover ability. Throw in frag grenade and you can have a fairly high DPS rotation without needing Snipe or Probe at all.

Dunlop

I've made a few posts about healing in TOR; I really feel like the core problem is that healers don't get their skills early enough. You really don't heal with that many tools, and some of them you don't get until 30-40, so all of the time you spend healing earlier than that feels off. It's because you're just straight up missing certain abilities the healer was designed around. They need to draw down the level where healers fill up their toolboxes somehow. Much worse in PvP than PvE, as the bolster mechanic benefits damage more than it does healing, which magnifies the lack of healing functionality at lower levels.

Agree 1000%

A positive because of this (and broken raid frames), is even though I'm specced bodyguard, I probably dps 60% of the time and actually enjoy the diversity

JWong

Banned
Gotta agree on the imperial agent. The role that you play in the universe is just so well done. Makes you feel like you are actually an agent in this time period.

Yeah, I played BH past chapter 1 and into the third planet of IA.

These guys should just take over the DragonAge and Mass Effect games.

Agree 1000%

A positive because of this (and broken raid frames), is even though I'm specced bodyguard, I probably dps 60% of the time and actually enjoy the diversity

Broken raid frames really suck, but I get around it most of the time in pvp by targeting the enemies wailing on the guy I want to heal, then hit target's target.

Alex

Devs have a tendency to ... forget healers, sometimes. I remember when Wintergrasp came out in WoW and there was this huge buff called Tenacity for an outnumbered faction and it provided tons of health and damage... and no healing whatsoever :lol It got fixed before too long but it's usually the archetype to be neglected a little.

Top Bottom