• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Actually setting up a subscription, 1 month reoccuring with Paypal, actually fixed the "no subscription" problem and let me play. Pretty lame, considering I still have 30 days free playtime.

Strange that adding a subscription magically fixed the 'error'. Nice one, EA. Psh.

It's not an error. Every major MMO has required you to set up a sub payment option to even play your free 30 days.

The confusion here for many is that unlike other MMO's, this game didn't force you to do it when you entered your product code.

border

Anyone else share these concerns about endgame content?

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2011/12/tortage-theory.html

I would agree that it is folly for them to make the game so focused around story-content, especially when new content is going to be very expensive for them to produce. Having to have every mission fully-voiced (in 3 different languages, no less) was a commitment that will hamstring them down the line. If Blizzard's having trouble producing content with their resources and subscriber numbers, I don't see how Bioware can do much better.

I think that re-running flashpoints is going to be tedious as fuck, having to run around and sit through all the dialogues again and again. I probably shouldn't say much since I've only done Black Talon, but half of that dungeon seems to be having your ass run around to talk to people or access terminals. Kinda interesting the first time, but probably not so interesting on subsequent visits.

Korey

Anybody make a gunslinger/sniper? How do you like it?

Trying to decide my first alt right now. My main is a marauder/sentinel.

Moaradin

I think that re-running flashpoints is going to be tedious as fuck, having to run around and sit through all the dialogues again and again. I probably shouldn't say much since I've only done Black Talon, but half of that dungeon seems to be having your ass run around to talk to people or access terminals. Kinda interesting the first time, but probably not so interesting on subsequent visits.

Most of the flashpoints aren't nearly as dialogue based as Black Talon is.

Cystm

I would agree that it is folly for them to make the game so focused around story-content, especially when new content is going to be very expensive for them to produce. Having to have every mission fully-voiced (in 3 different languages, no less) was a commitment that will hamstring them down the line. If Blizzard's having trouble producing content with their resources and subscriber numbers, I don't see how Bioware can do much better.

Black Talon is not precedent for the other flashpoints. If you should happen to find yourself attempting a heroic with someone that needs to listen to the dialog again and again, you are probably doing it wrong anyway.

But who knows when they will start releasing new content.
Day 2 of it's life cycle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Sniper has been awesome so far.

Hey Moaradin.

Is that uniform a custom equip? And what's the name of that uniform?

A similar looking one is Hammer Lookout's Jacket:

XV1HLl.jpg

Adding new content to the game is easy, to add warzones, flashpoints, and raid content doesn't require as much work as basic world quests and all the unique story stuff. They also already said they are working on adding to the space combat stuff too. We most likely will not see extensions of the class stories till they release big paid for expansions.

End game is important to only a portion of the player base too, I just hope TOR doesn't get into the trap of simply doing nothing but pumping out only end game material that really only the hardcore will care about. I rather see them add to the game in general, stuff for everyone.

If players repeat the content and agree with it as a group such as guilds running it, they just choose to opt out of the conversations and you just space through the entire thing quick. For replays a group can easily skip this stuff.

Though people are going to likely want to run through it again for the social points and more dark side/ light side choices.

The endgame definitely sounds boring, I'll probably reach level cap and then just play a new class, and do that for all of them. Varying light/dark sides.

bill0527

It will be interesting to watch how the player base reacts to it. The rather drastic change in how the game works at endgame was always one of WoW's biggest flaws and it will be even more drastic in TOR.

I'll probably treat it just like I did KOTOR. When I got to the end, I rolled a different class and went through the dark side story.

I'm not a raider so I'm perfectly happy to roll another class when I reach the end.

ultron87

Is there a "lightsaber flourish" button? This is incredibly important towards my future buying decision and eventual class choice.

Anyone else share these concerns about endgame content?

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2011/12/tortage-theory.html

I find Tobold annoying, but he often brings up good subjects.

I'm not going to pretend I had any desire to play this game because of endgame raiding. I'm here basically to play a co-op RPG with my friends and play the class stories.

This would definitely concern me if it wasn't something I'd come to expect from every single MMO I've ever played though. I've yet to play any game where the endgame was even remotely similar to the leveling game. I also haven't played any game in the last 9 years where raiding was as satisfying as it was in EQ1.

Dunlop

If Blizzard's having trouble producing content with their resources and subscriber numbers, I don't see how Bioware can do much better.

WOW produces about a billion dollars in profit, Blizzard could have live actors for every aspect of the game if needed.

The release schedule of their expansions is completely under their control, as well as the quality. They don't use voice actors (the voice acting in WOW is so incredibly bad that I refuse to believe the use "professionals"), but if SWTOR was to seriously hurt their subscriber base and this was determined to be a reason I can guaranty it would be incorporated

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
wait I already redeemed my product code they sent out a few days ago (not the preorder code the product code) and it says no active shbscription. When I looked at it a few days ago the sign up for a subscription page said that you have 30 days free. It didn't say that they required you to buy anything. Weird.

Bioware needs to communicate better. I assumed the people that were having problems were the ones that didnt redeem their product code, guess that isn't the case because i did that.

Alex

I'm not a raider so I'm perfectly happy to roll another class when I reach the end.

I did my time raiding, from bleeding edge to super casual and I'm very much done. In general raiding in MMOs is plummeting in popularity but makers still insist on producing the content as a sole means to an end then having to think up numerous different ways to bribe unwilling players into it a lot of which seem more detrimental to that play in the end than anything. MMOs just need to have more scaling end games as the modern ones just don't have the scope and options of old sandbox ones. I should be able to pick up a couple of friends and go do some content that scales for a quick run or a soul crushingly obnoxious challenge with big pay off whenever I log in.

I don't want to schedule my time around a game, file an application with a guild, and ultimately play with a bunch of people in such a tight knit environment (as opposed to more aloof, open world things) that I don't know. The new fad of easy mode/raid finder/etc doesn't fix much, I'm still doing sheep herding raid content I don't want to do only now every ounce of tension and challenge has been sapped out in order to coddle me with high end handouts. It's just a glorified slot machine and it's stupid.

what are death penalities?

any reason to not call the remote med robot instead of warping to the med center?

You suffer equipment damage. Calling med robot is often best, but each time you call it the timer increases on the next time you want to call it and it continues to build. First knock out you will be out for like 10 seconds, then it goes to about 2 minutes or so, and just continues to grow if you die too many times in a row.

Windu

So I got to m account page, are they making me pay for another month or something? What do I do here. It says I have 27 days free but says I need to activate my sub.

SpudBud

So I got to m account page, are they making me pay for another month or something? What do I do here. It says I have 27 days free but says I need to activate my sub.
They make you set up a sub but don't charge you until the 30 free days are up.

JWong

Banned

Enter your credit card and then cancel it.

I think that's how it works... I had a time code given to me, so I don't know.

Windu

They make you set up a sub but don't charge you until the 30 free days are up.
Ah ok. It would be nice if they learned to communicate better. Just say enter your CC info to complete registration.

Edit: my CC info was already in there heh. Anyway it worked. Signed up and canceled.

border

Adding new content to the game is easy, to add warzones, flashpoints, and raid content doesn't require as much work as basic world quests and all the unique story stuff.

I felt that the point of the editorial was that the playerbase will not be satisfied with the easy to add stuff that he deems as repeatable content (raids, battlegrounds, dungeons). They're cultivating a population who are driven by quests and story stuff, and those people will be in for a shock when they get to 50 and find only repeatable content.

markatisu

Ah ok. It would be nice if they learned to communicate better. Just say enter your CC info to complete registration.

Edit: my CC info was already in there heh. Anyway it worked. Signed up and canceled.

You could have just left it and made sure you popped another time card in before the month was over, the CC info is just a failsafe to let you keep playing in case you don't enter any cards before the new month starts

I felt that the point of the editorial was that the playerbase will not be satisfied with the easy to add stuff that he deems as repeatable content (raids, battlegrounds, dungeons). They're cultivating a population who are driven by quests and story stuff, and those people will be in for a shock when they get to 50 and find only repeatable content.

I think thats a bit dishonest, there is obviously a mix of players involved here. Lot of hardcore MMO players, casuals, and newbies to the MMO genre. They have to satisfy everyone but the whole player base is not all just about the single play story driven aspect. It's obvious they are going to continue things but at the same time there is of course limits. Those who just coming in for a single player like experience would be dissapointed no matter what, though the game does have the incentive of playing multiple characters and experiencing other story lines. At least most people are going to want to have an alt and play through the other faction side at one point too since it's a completely different experience.

mcrae

You suffer equipment damage. Calling med robot is often best, but each time you call it the timer increases on the next time you want to call it and it continues to build. First knock out you will be out for like 10 seconds, then it goes to about 2 minutes or so, and just continues to grow if you die too many times in a row.

does the timer ever degrade? when im logged out or after 5 hours of no use or anything?

Meier

Hmm, anyone know of a good site to see if stuff is bugged? Seems like the "Shields Down" quest on Tatooine may be. I can't seem to get credit for the kills of unshielded droids even after using the item I get.

Guess it's just a bit touchy or maybe that's "working as intended." Had to kill a bunch of them and got credit every so often.

Zareth

All I can say is that in pvp they have a huge amount of burst however I don't think I have seen a single Sniper outside of pvp while I have been lvling and im at lv31 now so they appear to be a very rare class.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh god, some of the comments posted on the Giantbomb SWTOR Quick Look...

All I can say is that in pvp they have a huge amount of burst however I don't think I have seen a single Sniper outside of pvp while I have been lvling and im at lv31 now so they appear to be a very rare class.

I'm still seeing a good amount of snipers around, but I'm still only lvl 21.

Interfectum

in terms of end game / continuing content I'm more curious is if your past decisions throughout the game coudl possibly have an effect on what you see in future content (ala mass effect).

daoster

I‘m playing gunslinger and i love it. Didn‘t really like the cover mechanics at first, but i‘m used to it now.

Though haven‘t really olayed pvp, so can‘t comment on that.

sangreal

in terms of end game / continuing content I'm more curious is if your past decisions throughout the game coudl possibly have an effect on what you see in future content (ala mass effect).

According to that interview on giant bomb, yes. They said chapter 3 will be effected by dialogue choices made all the way back on the starter planet

On republic side when I play pvp, I've been in many matches where I saw nothing but Sith on the other side, not a single BH and hardly any IA. On the other end I see alot of troopers on the Rep side

Top Bottom