• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

daedalius

I'm not going to pretend I had any desire to play this game because of endgame raiding. I'm here basically to play a co-op RPG with my friends and play the class stories.

I'd say I've had it pretty well with raiding too, I can't be buggered to get online at the same time as 24 other people to kill big monstards for phat loots. Going through a compelling story with friends(and my wife, particularly) is much more important to me. Sweet looking gear along the way doesn't hurt though ;)

Yeah I really hope Bioware has much more planned for end-game besides raiding. They better not put huge storyline hooks into 10+ man raids like Blizzard does (IE you can only end the cataclysm by doing the deathwing raid).

No kidding. I'd much rather see a lot more small group content than huge raids. New areas to explore, new pvp zones, new ships, space stuff, etc. There is so much stuff they could do that is NOT raiding, and I hope they do.

Interfectum

Yeah I really hope Bioware has much more planned for end-game besides raiding. They better not put huge storyline hooks into 10+ man raids like Blizzard does (IE you can only end the cataclysm by doing the deathwing raid).

FStop7

Banned
Is there world PvP? I'm on Nar Shaddaa in what is being referred to as contested territory and I have yet to see a single Republic player. Same goes for the contested areas of Balmorra.

Also, - leveling in this game is fast. Maybe too fast? All I'm doing are quests and I'm starting to out level things before I'm even able to get to them.

Sethos

Banned
Few more. Sorry, just getting impressed with the various areas as I progress <3

C4GiT.png

MSkv0.png

1CmMS.png

UUzKE.png

QNGyn.png

Interfectum

No kidding. I'd much rather see a lot more small group content than huge raids. New areas to explore, new pvp zones, new ships, space stuff, etc. There is so much stuff they could do that is NOT raiding, and I hope they do.

Well a huge problem I had with Wrath of the Lich King was during my entire time questing it was all building up to facing Arthas. But then I'm forced to get into the raid grind if I want to see the conclusion to that story. That's bullshit I don't have time for that nonsense.

They better not pull this with The Old Republic where the only way to see the main story's "conclusion" is through a time consuming raid process.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
two stupid questions:

1. what is power? I'm seeing items with power on it now..
2. why are raid frames directly over my left action bars?

Well a huge problem I had with Wrath of the Lich King was during my entire time questing it was all building up to facing Arthas. But then I'm forced to get into the raid grind if I want to see the conclusion to that story. That's bullshit I don't have time for that nonsense.

They better not pull this with The Old Republic where the only way to see the main story's "conclusion" is through a time consuming raid process.
raidfinder IMHO fixes this. it basically is a place for casuals to see the end game. I know lots of core raiders are miffed by it, but as an occasional core raider to me it makes sense.

so that's my suggestion. get a raid finder in first if this is the case.

border

I just bought the Collector's Edition, against all my better judgement :) Most Gamestops are selling off the pre-order copies that aren't picked up.

I got it for around $112 with a bunch of trade-in credit at Gamestop. I figure if I sell all the swag that comes with it for $50 then I've only paid as much as I would have for the regular edition.

I'm considering keeping everything sealed, though I'm curious -- is there anything cool in the Journal? Also, it seems really tacky to charge $150 for a Collector's Edition and not even put the soundtrack CD in a jewel case. It's in some corny cardboard slipcase.

hgplayer1

went home for lunch, 5 min queue, logged in did some crafting.

I think everything will be pretty stable after New Years. Lots of people took time off from work Im sure to play on launch week and for Christmas Holidays but in a week or so things will calm down for most servers.

I have to say Im enjoying pretty much every aspect of the game so far. PvP was a big question mark for me but it's actually fun and I get credits and exp and commendations whether I win or lose.

KB + mouse controls was the other thing I was worried about but Im getting the hang of it and with time Ill be flowing through hotkeys easily enough.

Im not in a rush to get to 50 but I cant wait to pimp out my Merc in some nice gear. Right now I look like I scavenged everything.

markatisu

I'm considering keeping everything sealed, though I'm curious -- is there anything cool in the Journal? Also, it seems really tacky to charge $150 for a Collector's Edition and not even put the soundtrack CD in a jewel case. It's in some corny cardboard slipcase.

The journal is the best part, its fully illustrated and basically tells the backstory (all the little side stories you saw in journal entries). Its definitely not a cash in thing, I would have paid for the book by itself

daedalius

two stupid questions:

1. what is power? I'm seeing items with power on it now..

raidfinder IMHO fixes this. it basically is a place for casuals to see the end game. I know lots of core raiders are miffed by it, but as an occasional core raider to me it makes sense.

so that's my suggestion. get a raid finder in first if this is the case.

Actually I'd rather they just not focus on raiding as the endgame to the extent that WoW has over time.

Well this is weird. During the headstart I complained about my launcher starting really slow, taking minutes to just log in to the queue screen. Today for some reason the launcher loads fast as heck and I'm right in, in about 5 seconds flat.

The only thing I can think of is I upgraded to the newest Nvidia beta drivers last night. Guess that did it.
Seems weird that having outdated drivers would affect only the launcher. o_O

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I made my Agent an Operative because hey, healing but I'm regretting that decision now because if I want to do damage it feels very incoherent, I've got skills like snipe and probe that I have to drop into cover for and skills like backstab and shiv that require me to get up close and personal for.

The Operative is more melee focused DPS, in my opinion. You should be getting in close with stealth, using abilities like backstab, shiv, debilitate, distraction, flashbang, overload shot, the one that requires tactical advantage, and the grenade. Also key is using the sleep dart to take one target out of the fight for the first 60 seconds. Though everyone has to be careful with AoE damage as to not wake them back up). Slice Droid also works for this if a droid is in the group. Super useful, especially while soloing.

Throw in a few healing droids if you need them. you can also take cover anywhere (even without cover) to use cover-based abilities (press F). so if you want to map healing abilities and/or adrenaline probe and its various extra abilities (stim boost etc), you can do that. If i'm in cooldown hell (rare) or out of energy, I'll drop to cover to fire off a damage probe/ snipe.

Also, mix in the regular fire while your energy is recharging, as you want to keep it high to keep your recharge rate up. That said, if you do need to go spammy, Adrenaline Probe and its counterparts can get you right back into the fight. Just be careful of their cooldowns.

The Revan novel I think paints a clear picture of an "ending" they will try to achieve with the game, all the pieces seem in place and built up for it, though don't see how or when they will implement it.

Sweet, I wanted to do this, but didn't know which app.

Splashtop is Android?

Splashtop is available for everything

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I feel like I've run out of quests on Hoth, but I'm only 39. Anyone know if there's a point where you need to go and find another quest hub? So far all the quests have led me into the next area.

JWong

Banned
Can I make like a level 10 alt or whatever just to do slicing missions on for money? Is there a level requirement?

No requirement. It is more effective to have at least the 2nd companion.

The more companions you have, the more money rolling in (and skill ups).

sangreal

Can I make like a level 10 alt or whatever just to do slicing missions on for money? Is there a level requirement?

You'll be limited by the number of companions you have, that's all

so I am level 19 and I have my original companion and now my ship companion. how do i get more companions?

Depends on your class. It's part of your class quest line. Level 25 is when you can actually send 3 companions on missions

Set up my authenticator, is there a way to add a second authenticator to the account like the mobile app version for an extra method? The website doesn't let me add anymore authenticators and would hate it if my little one from the CE died out.

Choc

Banned
i want to add an authenticator to my account via IOS but i have a few questions.

Is it locked to he phone? if i set it up on an iphone 4 and then get a 5 or some android phone and want to use the app, am i screwed or does it port?

basically is the authenticator locked to the physical phone?

and before you think this is a dumb question, it does ask you to register a install key each time you install the app, so if the key is already used when reinstalling it, wont it block it?

bill0527

Set up my authenticator, is there a way to add a second authenticator to the account like the mobile app version for an extra method? The website doesn't let me add anymore authenticators and would hate it if my little one from the CE died out.

I'm curious about this as well.

On the night the ios authenticator launched, it would not install correctly on my iPhone. Seems like this happened to a small number of people and I was one of them.

I then went and installed it on my iPad just fine. But I want it on my iPhone also.

Carm

CE finally arrived around noon today. Unfortunately one of the corners is pushed in from mishandling, also the box malgus is in was damaged from it being to tight a fit, nothing I can really do about either though.

Finished Act 1 on my Sith Warrior and thankfully I was able to get the legacy surname I've been using in mmo's, when I could, since 1999. I can now slow down leveling and go back and finish group quests I was skipping to speed to legacy.

Ahbqv.jpg

Yea, I haven't added my authenticator yet, after reading I'll have to call in to get it removed if it stops working. Why you can't just go to your account page like WoW and remove it, is beyond me.

Choc

Banned
CE finally arrived around noon today. Unfortunately one of the corners is pushed in from mishandling, also the box malgus is in was damaged from it being to tight a fit, nothing I can really do about either though.

Finished Act 1 on my Sith Warrior and thankfully I was able to get the legacy surname I've been using in mmo's, when I could, since 1999. I can now slow down leveling and go back and finish group quests I was skipping to speed to legacy.

Ahbqv.jpg

Yea, I haven't added my authenticator yet, after reading I'll have to call in to get it removed if it stops working. Why you can't just go to your account page like WoW and remove it, is beyond me.

you need the authenticator working to get to the account page

vaelic

Banned

Ahbqv.jpg

you can

Hari Seldon

I'm not adding an authenticator. There is a greater probability of losing it or breaking it and being locked out of everything than getting hacked, imo.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sweet! That's my next stop!
Make sure you pick up the prototype version. There's a plain Imperial Coordination jacket that's not customizeable that I just picked up on a sidequest on Balmorra, and it's not nearly as good as the Hammer Station version I'm currently wearing that I linked to earlier.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
two stupid questions:

You can rightclick the frame (or maybe it was a button on the top left) and it will give you the options to unlock it. Then you can move it anywhere you'd like.

daoster

Wait....you guys are using remote desktop to log on and play???

Hmm...I'm going to be away from my computer for the next 5 days, but maybe I can set something up....

border

Why even play the game then, just rent a movie.

You play the game because it's fun to play. If all you care about is the story ending then just watch it if it's only accessible through raids.

The guy said he wanted the main arc of the game to end as a part of solo or 4-man content -- which means it'll be nearly as easy as loading a YouTube video.

My guess is that your character's story will conclude in solo/group content and the game's main arc will conclude in raids. It seems like a kick in the shin to relegate raiders to some dumb sidestory missions.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We use authenticators at my job. The batteries usually last for years.
Likewise, I've used RSA tokens for a long time and have yet to see one die on me battery-wise between forced replacements. Usually go a good 3-4 years at least, and these are always-on ones, not like the SWTOR ones that only turn on when the button is pushed.

Alex

Raiding needs to be a niche that has it's own rewards and it's own boons but isn't the be all end all of the game. This last branch of Everquest needs wither and die please, it's in such conflict with the evolution of the genre and it's flexibility. I don't want it to keel over, but it's an antiqued model and sees such little participation nowadays that it caused Blizzard to expedite the development of the raid finder just so they could bribe people into it with free loot and an easy look at the ending.

I think challenge is needed and it needs to be very satisfying to complete, be it through flashpoints or meticulous solo work I don't care. People are sick of scheduling their life away raiding and the LFR solution where it's dumbed down so hard so the general populace can polish it off their first time in a half hour because it's put the bar so low that chunks of people can afk, only auto attack and generally act like fools isn't a good solution, IMO.

Top Bottom