• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

When, where or how do I get the "Hammer Station" FP? ..-- Lvl 17, Trooper and I just got my ship. Edit: Nvm, I found the answer I was looking for... finally D:

Why is this spoiler tagged?

GAF is incredibly sensitive to... Anything even remotely spoiler-ish. I can't blame him. Better safe than sorry.

Won

Man, dual spec needed to be in like yesterday, but I guess watching people searching for a healer for hours is also somewhat fascinating.

sangreal

Okay, honestly, the biggest disappointment I have with this game is...

The space combat. I was hoping for some sort of Rogue Squadron sort of thing, not this Star Fox stuff.

I really hope they add a Freelancer-like expansion in the future. It would make the ship parts 1000 times more interesting.

Why is this spoiler tagged?

Okay, honestly, the biggest disappointment I have with this game is...

The space combat. I was hoping for some sort of Rogue Squadron sort of thing, not this Star Fox stuff.

I really hope they add a Freelancer-like expansion in the future. It would make the ship parts 1000 times more interesting.
They have an internal project going on right now to expand the space game into something more than just a rail shooter. Whether it's something like SWGs space game or something else entirely is unknown but we do know it's coming.

Morn

Banned
Because a lot of people don't know there's that stuff in the game. Hell, everybody in my group, including myself, had no idea. It was a nice surprise for us.

Really? It was on the cover of PC Gamer over a year ago. People have known about it, and how shitty it is, for a long time.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm not adding an authenticator. There is a greater probability of losing it or breaking it and being locked out of everything than getting hacked, imo.

Haha, someone has never played WoW.

You get hacked, it's inevitable. You download the app on your phone and it's easy as can be.

I love Star Wars so this is the greatest game ever. If you are a bitch that only plays games based on review scores, then go fuck yourself and play Gears of War or some other bullshit.

i don't know much about how MMOs work, but if the server has more players on it than it has capacity, won't the waitlisting pretty much exist until enough people get sick of the game and quit?

i guess what i'm asking is, will the situation ever improve or should i make a character on a non-crowded server now before i get too far?

Alex

Everyone will be able to do Operations as an 8-player group and the base difficulty is supposed to be puggable. I'm not even sure you can call it raiding, at that point.

Given such a low threshold in terms of group size and difficulty, I don't know why someone would demand that the story's conclusion be solo or 4-man. If you care so much about the story, then is it that hard to get an 8-player group together one time to see it?

Oh it's not hard at all, but how does that make it any better? People are over raiding, the answer isn't to keep at it while continually lowering the bar in a manner where no one is being engaged at all by the content and folks are just quickly consuming it and quitting. More on the opposite, why would you demand it be a raid if the raid as you say can't even be considered proper content? Wouldn't it be better to have something more scaling that actually challenges the player, just on their own terms?

Personally, I don't want raiding to be easy, I'm against pinata modes and (the implementation of) raid finder, and I also don't want them to diminish the raiding experience for those whom like it. Raiding should always have a presence and it should be proper, challenging and rewarding. I've done my days of bleeding edge raiding, I was one of the few who actually did the real version of Naxxramas so I understand how fun it can be when made properly and I'm very cool with that, but it should not be the primary end game experience and if Bioware is going to try to head that route it will probably burn them in the end.

It's just such a declining niche for it to be more than an option, even WoW whose complete heritage is raiding and has a great scene and community very steeped in was struggling for more than a few percent of player representation for normal mode and near zilch for heroic modes. Raid finder was expedited for a reason and I guess now the main thing with it is to see how long the free epics slot machine entertains people into running two half-hour raid wings that no one fails to clear their first time in.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
i don't know much about how MMOs work, but if the server has more players on it than it has capacity, won't the waitlisting pretty much exist until enough people get sick of the game and quit?

i guess what i'm asking is, will the situation ever improve or should i make a character on a non-crowded server now before i get too far?

It'll improve. Right now everyone wants to play, plus a lot of people are on vacation. Give it a couple of weeks and instead of most of the people playing EVERY night it will start to fragment into some people playing Mon and Wed, some people on Tues and Sun etc etc

Alchemy

I had no problems just now. I had to log into the site to redeem my code for my color crystal that I get for buying the Star Wars Razer mouse. I did get 1, error, refresshed the page and was able to redeem my code with no problems.

Site wouldn't work for me on Firefox but I switched to Chrome and it worked perfectly. Bah. 4 more gigs to go.

Gotta decide on what path I'll be taking with my sorcerer. I've been thinking about following the healing tree, though I will make that tree slightly more offensive. I'm getting some necessary traits from the lightening path before investing points into healing. Though, I love killing things in a quick manner, guess I'll leave that to my companion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I broke down and got the game on the recommendation of several friends. Typically I don't really care for WoW-esque "themepark" MMOs, but I do like Star Wars and Mass Effect-style conversations. 7 straight hours later...yeah, it's pretty damned fun. Started a Jedi Consular, quickly decided she was going to be a power-hungry fanatic and now I'm progressing slowly down the path towards the dark side. Just finished
getting my first lightsabre. That shit was pretty awesome! I pull the thing out all the time now just to hear the sound of it whooshing around some
. Who knows how long they can hold this story well, but I'm glad that I gave the game a proper shot.
Be sure to try something like Imperial Agent out, awesome storyline on that one!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
stupid question, but can you visit other peoples ships?

Yes, as long as you have your ship already, Otherwise when they try to take you aboard you'll be ported to the space station since you're not flagged to visit the rest of the planets until you've completed your section of the story that gives you your ship.

When you exit their ship though it puts you in the hanger your ship would be in had you flown there yourself. It's kind of stupid.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I changed my mind and bought the game, I don't regret it.

My current character is Landis, a Commando on Keller's Void.
I'll see if I can catch someone on tomorrow to get an invite to the gaf guild.

In most ways it is a new coat of paint on WoW, but it's a really damn good coat of paint. Furthermore, the quests so far are considerably more interesting (to me anyways) and the fact that several of them have an actual choice so far is is a very welcome change.

CzarTim

Some gaffers got together and played PVP tonight. Lots of fun (though I still despise Huttball largely due to the level design). I just need one more match to afford the last of my level 40 PVP gear (still can't use it for another 7 levels)!

The XP is surprisingly good. I am probably getting the same amount as I would had I spent the evening doing quests.

I'm a full healer btw. No problems there.

Heysoos

Taral V + Maelstrom Prison Flashpoints (Jedi Prisoner Storyline) = FREAKING AWESOME. The KOTOR fan in me was so pleasantly surprised. :)

Ken

Is "English Video 1" part of the game download?

Also, is there a way to buy just a product key online that I can give to someone?

Mylene

pqMot.jpg

squidyj

So I'm trying to use the galactic trade market and every time I try to search for crafting materials from Investigation I get nothing, zip, zilch. Is this just me?

Lord Phol

I find it kind of weird that even though I play on probably the most populated EU server (ToFN) it takes quite some time to get into a warzone match. I also don't see that many people looking for flashpoint groups either. Been wanting to do Mandolorian Raiders for two days now without much luck.

I'm guessing people are either too busy questing or the population cap on servers isn't that high.

Dina

How is leveling in a healing spec? I do fine with my tanking spec, but how is life as a healing Operative or Sage or Commando?

Dakota47

How is leveling in a healing spec? I do fine with my tanking spec, but how is life as a healing Operative or Sage or Commando?

You wouldn't notice you're leveling a healing spec dude. I have a Sage (26) and an Operative (15) and it is nothing like for example leveling a Holy Priest in WoW. Companions are a very good solution.

Dina

Listening to the Bombcast and they get some stuff right, but there are parts where I _completely_ disagree with them.

@Dakota47: good to hear, I heard some complaining in my guild about leveling as a healing sage, but that might be him then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just had a blast with some fellow GAFers and a GoonSquad!

So, I'm running around Tatooine when I see a guy that looks important at the top of a hill. I fight my way through a few mobs, but when I get to the top, I realize this baddie has 48K HP.

6558480267_8cceba4aef_b.jpg

I joke about my pointless endeavor in guild chat... and then I get a whisper from a good fellow named Itainteasy asking what class I am, and he then tells me he thinks we can take him. We group up, and a few minutes later he arrives and we end up kicking ass.

So then we decide to do an Heroic quest...

6558480969_79322cf2dc_b.jpg

We get our asses handed to us on the first mob... which, admittedly, was entirely my fault. This being my first MMO, I'm still trying to learn the basics. Thankfully, Itainteasy was understanding, gave me a few tips, and we were on our way. Early into the adventure, we team up with a nice guy named Jobe. And we make our way through the quest.

We had some fun, and decided to do a flashpoint together. Itainteasy throws an opening on guildchat, and Riku, who've I've chatted with a bit over the last few days, offers to join us!

We kill some baddies...

6558481653_94d0d98162_b.jpg

We ride a train...

6558482339_945dbb8b7e_b.jpg

We thank our lucky stars that we don't have to fight these guys...

6558483049_35514cdf1e_b.jpg

And we eventually take down the main baddie...

6558483789_49b7fbdf1d_b.jpg

I learned a few things; namely that I should never ever apologize... and even when it's my fault, I should still blame the healer. That, and even if I didn't use to play the game, it was always "better back in the day."

We had some good laughs, and Itainteasy got some good loot even though he can't keep his footing on the bridge mid-battle ;p

The end of the quest glitched for me; I couldn't join the conversation and now it's still showing up on my map as needing to be completed by talking on the holocom... even though it won't let me. But whatever. Had a great time. And even though we weren't playing together too long, it just shows you how great co-op KOTOR can be.

Had a great time with you guys!

Top Bottom