• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

I'm thinking of trying a stealth class so I can bypass all the stupid trash mobs.

So much this. I'm playing an Operative, and Stealth saved me so many frustrating moments. I skipped one quest on Balmorra, went to Arms Facility, did that, turned in all the quests, noticed a new one, that required me to go like that:

Firelands ---> Facility ---> 2nd Level ----> Outside ---> Adm. Bulding

I was able to stealth all the way through without attacking a single mob.

Ken

What's a good class to duo with a Combat Medic commando? I already have a Vanguard so I don't really want to roll another tank. I was thinking Sage since healers seem to be wanted by groups anyways, although I'm also interested in a Smuggler?

Wallach

What's a good class to duo with a Combat Medic commando? I already have a Vanguard so I don't really want to roll another tank.

Given you'll have two companions with you, just about anything. Commandos are a 30m range type class though, so a Sage or Gunslinger would probably be my suggestions.

nubbe

I usually send my companion to sell my trash items when I have a conversation since they usually think I am an asshole

Izayoi

Banned
Top the scoreboards when your team loses and people bitch you out because you were "going for last hits and trying to AoE to pad stats".

Yep, sounds like the Republic. (Didn't use a single AoE the entire match, all it does is hurt my output because they never hit anything anyway. I only very rarely use them on Voidstar. Last hits have zero impact on stats or medals outside of the very first one you get, not sure why I'd care about those either.)

The salt is strong with so many people over PvP. Reminds me why I love it.

Owensboro

Quick question: If a buddy and I both end up rolling Troopers (Him tanking, me healing) will we be able to duo the story missions? With they count for both of us or would we have to have to have one person zone in and complete his mission, then zone out, reset the instance, and have the second person zone in to complete his mission?

Also, how is Trooper Tanking? Is ranged tanking really weird?

Choc

Banned
Quick question: If a buddy and I both end up rolling Troopers (Him tanking, me healing) will we be able to duo the story missions? With they count for both of us or would we have to have to have one person zone in and complete his mission, then zone out, reset the instance, and have the second person zone in to complete his mission?

Also, how is Trooper Tanking? Is ranged tanking really weird?

I think that you are only allowed one trooper in the story bits @ one time. If not it definately won't count for both

you may have to do it twice, if its allowed and i dont think i tis.

otherwise you could just grind the crap out of them with groups.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You can duo the mission, but it will only count for one of you. Everything will have to be done twice. I would really recommend playing two different classes.

Won

I'm thinking of trying a stealth class so I can bypass all the stupid trash mobs. But I don't want to do all those quests again... especially Taris. I hate that place. So I think I may try Empire. I kind of want to do an IA Operative since people say the story is so good, but I don't know how similar it is to my Smuggler. I'm not sure I want to do a Sith Assassin because Sith are jerks.

Yeah, I'm so happy I played a stealth class first. Some areas are just stupid. Bioware just really loves to throw unnecessary amounts of trash at your face.

Rank 45, opened over 70 bags. :(

I must be at 20 bags and all I have to show is a stupid hat. :(

Alex

Agent is awesome and even as a mirror of Smuggler, IMO, it's worth it for the aesthetics and class quest alone.

But clearly you're not rocking a Scoundrel but a Gunslinger if you're missing stealth, so it'll essentially be a different class for you anyway.

Owensboro

You can duo the mission, but it will only count for one of you. Everything will have to be done twice. I would really recommend playing two different classes.

Man, that's so incredibly depressing. I only want to play a healing class, but holy god I don't want to be a lame Jedi. I've already got a Smuggler.....damn. Oh well, I'm just going to be the worst Republic Jedi that I can. Straight.Up.Evil. Now I'm just excited about murdering everyone!

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah, I'm so happy I played a stealth class first. Some areas are just stupid. Bioware just really loves to throw unnecessary amounts of trash at your face.

I must be at 20 bags and all I have to show is a stupid hat. :(
Sucks bro. Fight the good fight, you'll beat the RNG eventually. ;_;

Man, that's so incredibly depressing. I only want to play a healing class, but holy god I don't want to be a lame Jedi. I've already got a Smuggler.....damn. Oh well, I'm just going to be the worst Republic Jedi that I can. Straight.Up.Evil. Now I'm just excited about murdering everyone!
Sages are really incredible. Fantastic damage dealers and the best healing class when traited and geared properly.

So much this. I'm playing an Operative, and Stealth saved me so many frustrating moments. I skipped one quest on Balmorra, went to Arms Facility, did that, turned in all the quests, noticed a new one, that required me to go like that:

Firelands ---> Facility ---> 2nd Level ----> Outside ---> Adm. Bulding

I was able to stealth all the way through without attacking a single mob.

Agreed completely. Killing 50 mobs just to get a quest objective is grindy as hell. I like stealthing to quest objectives. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable to me.

CzarTim

Agreed completely. Killing 50 mobs just to get a quest objective is grindy as hell. I like stealthing to quest objectives. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable to me.

+10000

WAY to many mobs.

I got to the point where I would just run through dungeon to where my objective was, let the 500 mobs chasing kill me, respawn, trigger the objective, then QT out.

Interfectum

+10000

WAY to many mobs.

I got to the point where I would just run through dungeon to where my objective was, let the 500 mobs chasing kill me, respawn, trigger the objective, then QT out.

The worst is when it's not a 'green door' quest and you have to fight your way in, do the quest objective, then fight your way OUT because they all respawned behind you. So frustrating.

Sigfodr

Stealthed a heroic yesterday. Felt so good. Ton of xp and chestpiece = 6 minutes travel time. Had my companion run a crew skill.

Darklord

Banned
(Revan spoilers)
They confirmed he was male and gave him a voice? Holy shit. And you have to kill HK-47 and Revan? WTF? I can't do that! I was Revan and HK was my bro! You better be able to spare them. I just reached HK but he kicked out arse.

+10000

WAY to many mobs.

The amount of mobs is really not that bad, the game makes it usually really easy to sneak past most mobs even if you don't have stealth abilities. Found more direct confrontations and mobs in Star Trek Online which made no sense. Game has least downtime between fights due to the auto recovery abilities everyone has, you plow through mobs much faster than most MMOs.

Most story quest instanced areas don't respawn enemies at least.

CzarTim

The amount of mobs is really not that bad, the game makes it usually really easy to sneak past most mobs even if you don't have stealth abilities. Found more direct confrontations and mobs in Star Trek Online which made no sense. Game has least downtime between fights due to the auto recovery abilities everyone has, you plow through mobs much faster than most MMOs.

Most story quest instanced areas don't respawn enemies at least.
Not us healers :(

(Revan spoilers)
They confirmed he was male and gave him a voice? Holy shit. And you have to kill HK-47 and Revan? WTF? I can't do that! I was Revan and HK was my bro! You better be able to spare them. I just reached HK but he kicked out arse.

It was confirmed as canon that Revan was a male and that the Jedi Exile in KotOR II was a female.

Owensboro

Sages are really incredible. Fantastic damage dealers and the best healing class when traited and geared properly.

Oh I don't doubt they are great healers....I just hate Jedi. I'm sure I'm going to be more than pleased with how the class works and heals.

Another question: What is the earliest that a Trooper and Consular could meet up? I remember leaving Ord Mantell way before I got my ship, but I don't remember how, where I went, or what level it was at. Was it straight to the fleet, then a shuttle to Couruscant? So around level 10 or so?

CzarTim

Can anyone post the patch notes for today?

1.0.2b Patch Notes 1/5/2012

General

Fixed an issue that could cause in-game chat channels to stop functioning for some players.

Classes and Combat

Bug Fixes

Social emotes (like /getdown) can no longer interfere with combat.

Izayoi

Banned
Oh I don't doubt they are great healers....I just hate Jedi. I'm sure I'm going to be more than pleased with how the class works and heals.

Another question: What is the earliest that a Trooper and Consular could meet up? I remember leaving Ord Mantell way before I got my ship, but I don't remember how, where I went, or what level it was at. Was it straight to the fleet, then a shuttle to Couruscant? So around level 10 or so?
As soon as you leave the starter planets, which means each of you will be around level 10. Theoretically you will first meet on the fleet.

(Revan spoilers)

Lot of it was confirmed a while ago, plus they go into alot in the Revan novel

Owensboro

Might be able to go earlier using the emergency fleet pass.

Wouldn't that skip part of the class quest though? I guess I could just power through class quests only. Hrmm, I might run an experiment and see just how quickly I could get a Consular and Trooper to the fleet and still be able to progress the story.

CzarTim

Wouldn't that skip part of the class quest though? I guess I could just power through class quests only. Hrmm, I might run an experiment and see just how quickly I could get a Consular and Trooper to the fleet and still be able to progress the story.

You can go back at any time.

Garryk

I was ticked at myself the other day because I accidentally chose medium armor over heavy armor for an orange robe from a quest reward on Coruscant. But now I have received 2 more orange robes from quests in the subsequent quest hubs. Now I have to decide whether I want to be cape Jedi or robe Jedi.

Also, why do Jedi robes give you massive badonkadonk? In the preview window it looks normal but in practice I could sit a cup on that booty.

I was ticked at myself the other day because I accidentally chose medium armor over heavy armor for an orange robe from a quest reward on Coruscant. But now I have received 2 more orange robes from quests in the subsequent quest hubs. Now I have to decide whether I want to be cape Jedi or robe Jedi.

Also, why do Jedi robes give you massive badonkadonk? In the preview window it looks normal but in practice I could sit a cup on that booty.

They mentioned it in the q&a with Reid on Reddit. Seems to be an animation issue that is causing it to puff out and look like a big ass, they seem to be aware of it too. Hopefully they try and fix it.

(Revan spoilers)

You don't kill Revan. You get him down to about 8% and then he's like "I'll get you next time!" and then peaces out. This is in the foundry, btw. I have no idea if you fight him again later.

Orgun

(Revan spoilers)

Yeah that boss fight is the first boss fight Me and my friends found tough, took six attempt (four had disconnects heh). Great dungeon that and I got the mount drop :)

Top Bottom