• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

datamage

*shrug*

I'm doing just fine with my JK Guardian (Vigilance spec). I make sure I keep my gear up to date as well as Kira's and I have yet to encounter any extreme difficulty. (Currently 32 and on Alderaan.)

If the JK class is 'gimped' and I'm already doing fine with it, then I can't wait till it's buffed.

nataku

FYI, the focus target doesn't actually get cleared. The frame just disappears. You still have the focus target and you can still cast on it with the modifier etc.

It definitely gets cleared. I know the frame disappears, but eventually the focus target will clear when switching areas on the map like when you go through sections marked on the map by the door with an arrow through it. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Cutscenes also cause it.

Finally hit 50. I feel like 45-50 took forever, but at least I finally made it.

I have enough cash for a 1.5m speeder, but I want the Manta, so I'll wait for them to put it back in the game.

If i remember correctly in the beta the Manta Landspeeder was only 33000 credits though I'm sure that would be adjusted if it is ever reintroduced.

vilmer_

I'm currently rocking the Guardian Focus spec and I don't seem to be having any pvp issues (aside from getting 4 Sith ranged on me in a warzone :lol). One on one I'm doing extremely well. It may be a little easier for me since I transitioned from an Arms Warrior though. Only thing missing is Recklessness and a REAL Bladestorm :p

Izayoi

Banned
Finally.

izayoi_gearo3zo9.png

So, what's wrong with the classes? I remember the Sentinel feeling rather weak, damage felt okay but i couldn't take any damage (i could've used T7... but Kira is so much better companion). With Juggernaut, Vette sometimes manages to to draw away (even with threat reduction) a target i haven't directly damaged but i assumed this was merely bad playing on my part.

There not really all bad at all, the jugs/guard work well at what they were designed for. Sentinel/maurader are crap though, little utility and really not that amazing dps class compared to the others.

I'm currently rocking the Guardian Focus spec and I don't seem to be having any pvp issues (aside from getting 4 Sith ranged on me in a warzone :lol). One on one I'm doing extremely well. It may be a little easier for me since I transitioned from an Arms Warrior though. Only thing missing is Recklessness and a REAL Bladestorm :p

I do fine in pvp as jug, and the lvl 50 jugs in pvp are monsters from what I've seen, takes a bunch to bring down a tank spec.

Both. Full Champion PvP (well, except for the chest piece, which is Centurion because I can't seem to beat the RNG).

You have played more Huttball than I can imagine or your RNG is just lovely. Either way grats. I'm pretty close to the same myself on my Bounty Hunter.

markatisu

Man WTH I just went and logged in, downloaded the patch and now I come up with empty server listings :(

Rebooted and tried logging in 3 times, just played it last night for 5 hrs too

I am running repair right now but damnit I hope I dont need to re-download the whole program again just because the patch screwed something up

EDIT: Running repair I guess fixed whatever was wrong after the patch, thank god!

Rank 45, opened over 70 bags. :(

I'm valor rank 42 I believe, but I'm more or less done with the game at this point. I cannot Huttball anymore.

I may come back in a few months when a few content patches come out, but currently just not enough diversity in endgame content.

Saves me some money and it was enjoyable for the 11 days of played time I have.

EDIT: YAY finally a member. Only took me 3 and a half years to get 300+ posts :D clearly I'm a lurker not a poster.

Zafir

It's going to take me forever to get full pvp set. Empire on my server sucks, so it can often take forever to get wins for the daily/weekly. Majority of people seem to just go for kills instead of the objective. I've had people with the ball just stand there and kill people instead of taking it to the goal. In Alderaan, people have just run off after taking a base, leaving only myself to defend it from any republic players trying to take it. I suppose it's fortunate that you still at least get some comms for losing.

Then there's the RNG issue, ergh.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Finally hit 36 on my Operative and got the Hidden Strike ability. Its the classes only opener from stealth and does a decent amount of damage. With 2 talent points in Jarring Strike it has 100% chance to knockdown for 3 seconds. This knockdown sets Resolve to full so there is no stun-locking with this class. That said, i feel like my class is not a detriment to the team in Warzones now. Up until 36 i would recommend avoiding Concealment. Doing much better in PvP now.

Lain

Hit 31 and still on Nar with some heroic and normal quests to do lol.
Grabbed 3 datacrons or however it is spelled and felt like I was playing a (shitty) platform game, as I kept falling down instead of the jump going through on the last step on the way to one of them >.>
Bought another backpack upgrade for 50k because space has really become a huge problem, but I'm not fond of the price increase for each upgrade for your backpack, would have preferred a fixed price.

aett

I recently got a new blaster pistol for my BH and I can customize its color crystal. Where can I find those particular mods? I haven't seen any in any of the mod stores, commendation or otherwise. I'm level 20 and just got to Nar Shaddah.

I just got to 50 and spent about 1 million credits on training skills and all Cybertech schematics I needed and buying every 110 bike I could find.

I also finished the BH story. I didn't think the ending was nearly as good as the other acts. Maybe if I was working with Malgus instead of some random Sith it would have been cooler, I don't know.

I guess I'll do the rest of the quests on Corellia and Illum now. I kind of just want to roll another character though.

hamchan

Goddamn Sith Juggernaut gets hard. I'm level 30 now and I'm finding Gold enemies or more than one Silver enemy takes everything I have to stay alive.

Also the game has great music... when it actually plays. Most of the time there's just nothing.

glaurung

Couldn't sleep last night, thought maybe it's time to buy the game.

Downloaded Origin -> logged on with my EA account -> Press Add to Cart on TOR -> nothing happens.

Opened a browser, clicked the Buy TOR button on swtor.com -> this item is not available in your region.

Yeah, well, fuck you.

Goddamn Sith Juggernaut gets hard. I'm level 30 now and I'm finding Gold enemies or more than one Silver enemy takes everything I have to stay alive.

Also the game has great music... when it actually plays. Most of the time there's just nothing.

Isn't it like that with every class? If you're going to fight an elite, you better know what the hell you're doing. I have to use everything to beat an elite on my BH.

I with you could just set the music to loop. Or maybe get an item that works like an mp3 player and choose what music you want to listen to.

Well I joined the GAF Empire guild as Threepwood. Not sure how long I'll stay as I'm still deciding on what character to focus on. Bounty Hunter has been fun though.

Giolon

I didn't get to play last night and now the do it again?

Yeah, fuck Bioware for fixing bugs! People not being able to talk in guild or party chat is awesome!

Also, last night's downtime lasted what, all of an hour and they said the planned downtime was for 8? Screw those guys.

jersoc

I didn't get to play last night and now the do it again?

yes, same here. i should be half way into 38 instead i'm only half way into 37. this is getting beyond annoying now. i've lost about 5 days of playing time with their shitty times.

Finally hit 30 with my Commando. Still enjoying him. In PvP he seems to dish a good amount of damage.. Nothing like Scoundrel/Gunslinger/Agent etc but still really consistent high dmg.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In the meantime, here's my Vanguard looking dope
screenshot_2012-01-04hjpog.jpg

Think I'm gonna go buy a copy of Rogue Squadron because of this game.

hamchan

Yeah, fuck Bioware for fixing bugs! People not being able to talk in guild or party chat is awesome!

Also, last night's downtime lasted what, all of an hour and they said the planned downtime was for 8? Screw those guys.

WTF!

I missed a good opportunity to play last night then.

Anyways if this is only 30 mins then I'll you guys online soon.

Isn't it like that with every class? If you're going to fight an elite, you better know what the hell you're doing. I have to use everything to beat an elite on my BH.

I with you could just set the music to loop. Or maybe get an item that works like an mp3 player and choose what music you want to listen to.

Doing a bit of research on forums apparently I was using the wrong skill tree to level. Should have used the tanking tree instead of a DPS tree. Oops lol :p

Jarmel

Banned
*shrug*

I'm doing just fine with my JK Guardian (Vigilance spec). I make sure I keep my gear up to date as well as Kira's and I have yet to encounter any extreme difficulty. (Currently 32 and on Alderaan.)

If the JK class is 'gimped' and I'm already doing fine with it, then I can't wait till it's buffed.

I was level 36 when I left Alderaan and while I'm still able to beat the bosses at the end(I'm doing the quests right after Alderaan) I'm also wiping. There is no fucking way people can do this at base level without wiping. What the fuck is Bioware thinking?

Choc

Banned

knights and jugs are shit balanced

i discovered this around lvl 30 as well ham

its shit, shit shit shit.

edit: also you should play an IA ham, the story is fuckin amazing

hamchan

knights and jugs are shit balanced

i discovered this around lvl 30 as well ham

its shit, shit shit shit.

edit: also you should play an IA ham, the story is fuckin amazing

Will do Choc! I think I'll play it right after the maintenance. I need to take a break from dying over and over again as a Juggernaut.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sentinel/maurader are crap though, little utility and really not that amazing dps class compared to the others.

I completely disagree; I'm having an absolute blast with my marauder and I've read a lot of PVP speculation from some of the higher end marauders--the class is fine... at least for now (we will see how things are once everyone gets decked out in pvp gear). But no utility? You kidding? 5+ defensive cooldown, multiple offensive group buffs including defense increase and movement speed increase? A vanish and a skill that reduces enemy accuracy by 90%? A mortal strike, a slow, an interrupt, and an aoe fear? That's a lot of utility...

Spec rage (or the sentinel equivalent), smash for 5k+ crits, manage your defensive abilities, use vanish to escape, and you will absolutely destroy in warzones.

I haven't looked into PVE much, but I've heard from people that annhilation is fine, can't really say more than that.

But for people scared to play marauder/sentinel--don't be. It's an awesome warrior class with some rogue-like abilities, and who doesn't want to be a dual wielding monster? The class has a lot of tools and is hard to use, but very rewarding. There will always be changes and a flavor of the month class in MMOs, don't disregard a class because it's perceived as "UP"--it's usually temporary.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How about Europe getting a proper maintenance time during the night, like the US? If yesterday's downtime would go as planned, most players would've been unable to play the whole day.

I never die as an Operative, but I'm full Medic.

Concealment. Kaliyo's threat is kind of shitty, and I find I'm as squishy as something in light armor

frequency

I hit 27 on my Gunslinger tonight. I'm kind of bored of the class...
The story isn't really going anywhere, and it doesn't look like it will be any different for a while.
I got my speeder today. All of them look so stupid. I hate how my character looks riding on that thing. I also hate how if I start a dialog while on my speeder, my companion isn't counted as summoned, so I don't get any affection points.

The more I play, the more I think I dislike the Companion system. It's not the companion themselves, but the way the game is designed around it. For example, in other MMOs, I fight 1 mob at a time. Here, you fight like 3-5 at a time. Since all my high damage abilities are single target, it takes a really long time to kill things.

By the time I get to the quest point, the things behind me are beginning to respawn. So I have to fight all the way back out. And with the lack of auto attack, I'm basically hitting a button every GCD. It's becoming really annoying.

I ran Athiss with some GAF guildies earlier today as well. While we were doing it, I noticed how annoying the Charged Burst sound effect is. That's my main attack that gets spammed so I hear it all the time.

I'm thinking of trying a stealth class so I can bypass all the stupid trash mobs. But I don't want to do all those quests again... especially Taris. I hate that place. So I think I may try Empire. I kind of want to do an IA Operative since people say the story is so good, but I don't know how similar it is to my Smuggler. I'm not sure I want to do a Sith Assassin because Sith are jerks.

Top Bottom