• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Big Chungus

TnVW5l.jpg

xGA09.png

Varna

Update seem to have messed up the .ini I was using to get some better looking visuals. Anyone have a comprehensive list of the good ones?

Hit Lvl 23 today, almost 24. I am close to being done with Balmorra, only two Bonus Series quests to go - what a tiresome experience. The whole planet is way too big, no interesting quests, etc.

At least I'm having a blast playing as Medic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The space stations are the worst. WHY DO THEY EXIST? Shuttle from planet > loading > run to elevator > loading > run through station to instance > loading > get on ship > loading and cutscene.
Continuity man! There's no full spaceport at those planets, so you need to dock in orbit first. ;P

Hit Lvl 23 today, almost 24. I am close to being done with Balmorra, only two Bonus Series quests to go - what a tiresome experience. The whole planet is way too big, no interesting quests, etc.

At least I'm having a blast playing as Medic.
Oh man, if you thought Balmorra was a big planet...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Then again it's kinda fun being able to solo equal-level Champion enemy. :D

I'm pretty sure any class can do that easily. Classes with crowd control can take on two or three without too much trouble, too.

Tacitus_

there are reasons they exist but to go into details would be class quest spoilers

I'm quite sure they could've placed those quests to happen either on the planet, on the ship, or somewhere else. Or just have a landing area on the planet where they'd happen.

I've been debating switching my Sorcerer to a DPS class instead of a healer class. Who has experience with using a DPS sorcerer? Curious if the content is still as soloable as being a healer class?

Tacitus_

I've been debating switching my Sorcerer to a DPS class instead of a healer class. Who has experience with using a DPS sorcerer? Curious if the content is still as soloable as being a healer class?

Soloed the content on a dps assassin and we share the quests. Well on a few quests I was in a tank spec, but nothing a DPS spec couldn't handle. Not to mention that you'll still get heals so you can heal Khem (which he whines me to do, BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY HEALS)

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if i manage to break 20 tomorrow... I have lvl 18 Sith Assassin and Jedi Sentinel (and various others under lvl 15) but not really keen on keeping on playing either one. Sentinel plays too much like Combat Rogue from WoW, a class i did not like. Assassin... dunno, not that great. Should've taken Sorcerer.
Currently playing Sith Juggernaut (lvl 16, on Shaltin Tunnels EU-RP), feels way better than the above ones. Part of what makes it great is being a light-sider (feels odly both evil (as i'm Imperial) and good at the same time) and Vette. Vette is similar to Mission Vao from KOTOR but there's some subtle difference beetween them as i hated Mission but really like Vette.
The music when you arrive on Balmorra is great and i really like its looks. Arid, blasted lands appeal to me. Something to do with my love of Herbert's Dune probably.
Now if could get a yellow, orange or violet lightsaber crystal, not seeing them at GTN, at least not lowbie versions...

I'm pretty sure any class can do that easily. Classes with crowd control can take on two or three without too much trouble, too.

I'm not talking Elite, I'm talking Champion, the ones you find as bosses in Flashpoints. Also - no, without Healer or some sort of heal it's almost impossible to solo an Elite mob.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thinking of going assassin tank for my first alt after I get my sniper to 50. Anything I should know?

Tacitus_

I'm not talking Elite, I'm talking Champion, the ones you find as bosses in Flashpoints. Also - no, without Healer or some sort of heal it's almost impossible to solo an Elite mob.

Ezpz to solo a lone elite mob. If you're dps, just bring out your tank pet (I assume you've geared him) and blow your dps cooldowns.

Realyn

As a sage with a tank pet I can kill 3 elites of my(23) level. One is getting mezzed, one tanked by my pet, which I shield and HoT, while I kill/kite the third one with slows and a 4 second stun.

Sage oooop!

Edit: Heal specced btw. I would love to try out the other speccs, but the HoT is a talent :/

Prodigal

Banned
Any reason to pick Juggernaut over Marauder if I plan on being DPS? Just wondering if the playstyle is different in a similar way like the difference between Arms or Fury warriors in WoW or something.

TheYanger

The space stations are the worst. WHY DO THEY EXIST? Shuttle from planet > loading > run to elevator > loading > run through station to instance > loading > get on ship > loading and cutscene.

Not going to say space stations don't suck, but this is blatantly false. You only get a loading screen going between your ship and the airlock/planet. Everything else is loaded already and is just a half second of your screen fading out and back in.

Tacitus_

in the jedi knight story on the way back to your ship you're confronted by a sith apprentice around level 20

That'd be easy to change, just have that happen in the ship hangar, since they're instanced anyway.

Not going to say space stations don't suck, but this is blatantly false. You only get a loading screen going between your ship and the airlock/planet. Everything else is loaded already and is just a half second of your screen fading out and back in.

So they're even more pointless than I thought!

Woorloog

Banned
Any reason to pick Juggernaut over Marauder if I plan on being DPS? Just wondering if the playstyle is different in a similar way like the difference between Arms or Fury warriors in WoW or something.

Juggernaut is more like Arms warrior, Marauder is more like Fury warrior or a Combat Rogue (more like the latter IMO). But only "more like", neither is identical to their WoW counterparts.
Personally i find Juggernaut to be far more fun. Single lightsaber is more iconic, they can take more punishment due to heavy armor.
Really shitty that you cannot change your AC. My Jedi Sentinel is wasting away as i don't like it but if i could turn it into a Guardian i would continue playing it. Leveling another Knight doesn't sound really appealing... Tython is not so bad but Coruscant is horrible.

Choc

Banned
both jk's are crap

which given they are the poster boy class of the entire universe, is an amazing fuckup on biowares part

Choc

Banned
That'd be easy to change, just have that happen in the ship hangar, since they're instanced anyway.

it wouldn't haev the same impact

you are about to leave the planet for the last time having done all the quests. About to get to ship door having just beaten a boss and thinking YAY i can move on, and bam

the impact is actually very good

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there a way to make money at 50? Aside from selling crafted items/mats?

Woorloog

Banned
both jk's are crap

which given they are the poster boy class of the entire universe, is an amazing fuckup on biowares part

So, what's wrong with the classes? I remember the Sentinel feeling rather weak, damage felt okay but i couldn't take any damage (i could've used T7... but Kira is so much better companion). With Juggernaut, Vette sometimes manages to to draw away (even with threat reduction) a target i haven't directly damaged but i assumed this was merely bad playing on my part.

Jarmel

Banned
both jk's are crap

They've been VERY reluctant to fix the class. People noted all the same shit in the beta and there were only minor tweaks.

Tacitus_

it wouldn't haev the same impact

you are about to leave the planet for the last time having done all the quests. About to get to ship door having just beaten a boss and thinking YAY i can move on, and bam

the impact is actually very good

So it'd still happen in the hangar, no? They need to be instanced anyway.

Hawk269

This. Every day i read this thread in hopes of a texture announcement.

+1...but really this and the below:

1. Ability to adjust ground texture draw distance
2. Ability to adjust ground texture density
3. Ability for in-game Anti Aliasing
4. Ability to toggle Shadows to hi-detail versus Lego Shadows

Basically, graphical options that exist in almost EVERY single PC game that has been released over the last 2 years. I run forced AA via the .ini plues forced grass/foilage density via .ini.

The one that really sticks out to me other than wanting higher textures is the draw distance for foilage/grass etc. It is pretty horrid and needs to be added.

Is it just me or does the game takes wayyy too long to close? Takes me a total 2-3min before I can do anything. Do they assume everyone has this on an ssd?

bounchfx

Too bad the hi-res textures aren't in yet.

is it confirmed that they're releasing higher rez textures?

and do you guys realize no matter how high rez these textures are... they won't look better. just be composed of more pixels.
I mean, the lower rez stuff will totally look better, but players and just about everything else that already has a decent size on it won't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Now that ive really had some time to fool around with the modding system i have to say im extremely impressed. Its not only flexible but its also powerful and deep. Its probably second only to Runes of Magic in terms of modding/crafting. So addictive.

usea

Target optimizations, huh. I really hope they fix the broken focus target system. I'm so tired of it randomly clearing my focus target.
FYI, the focus target doesn't actually get cleared. The frame just disappears. You still have the focus target and you can still cast on it with the modifier etc.

CzarTim

Finally hit 50. I feel like 45-50 took forever, but at least I finally made it.

I have enough cash for a 1.5m speeder, but I want the Manta, so I'll wait for them to put it back in the game.

Top Bottom