• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Deadly

You don't kill Revan. You get him down to about 8% and then he's like "I'll get you next time!" and then peaces out. This is in the foundry, btw. I have no idea if you fight him again later.
What? I watched it on youtube and
that is definitely not how it goes...

erragal

When I did he
went invincible as he was about to die, said some lines about joining the force, then he exploded

Pretty sure he's going to come back for an operation at some point. It was the first fight that actually convinced me bioware has people that might be able to design a serious boss fight. Wish the meteor part happened for longer, was really fun. Would have first attempted it except he bugged out the first time and wouldn't die; had to reset it.

erragal

Another day, another fuck Voidstar post!

By far the worst Battleground I ever played.

Huh? Voidstar is awesome. So many opportunities for strategy and team coordination in small spaces. It and Huttball are the two enjoyable warzones. The Civil War one is the most bland control point scenario ever designed.

Dunlop

Not us healers :(

The one thing I absolutely love about this game vs every other MMO I have played is you can actually play the entire content as your desired role.

I am full Bodyguard spec and I use my tank companion and attack every mob as if I was in a instance with a group. I absolutely plow through content.

It teaches you how to use your abilities properly, learn to aggro dump ect.

normally in a MMO people level as DPS to speed through the content and then you end up with the most useless tanks and healers at end game

Won

Huh? Voidstar is awesome. So many opportunities for strategy and team coordination in small spaces. It and Huttball are the two enjoyable warzones. The Civil War one is the most bland control point scenario ever designed.

Sorry, all I see is an endless Zerg because spawn is way to close and interrupting is way too easy. Zero strategy. Not fun.

AppleMIX

+1 for Void Star being the worst warzone map.

Also how the hell do they determine a victor in voidstar? We got to the data terminal 30 seconds faster than our opponent and we still lost. :/

Wallach

+1 for Void Star being the worst warzone map.

Also how the hell do they determine a victor in voidstar? We got to the data terminal 30 seconds faster than our opponent and we still lost. :/

That can't actually happen. If you are on the first attacking team, if you get to the data terminal, the second attacking team has the amount of time available to them reduced by whatever the remaining time was on your attempt. So, if there was still time on the clock when they got to the data terminal, that means they did it faster.

People are still learning I guess - it is sometimes painful to go Flashpoints or Heroic Areas, and see someone pulling all the mobs, not waiting for CC, breaking stuns, etc.

Hope it improves at level 50.

Voidstar is a real mess, and it's confusing as heck with that shitty map in the corner. Huttball got so much better now that players seem to have an idea how to play it and people actually are using tactics on it, feels more like a real game. Alderaan is simple as heck, but it works. Voidstar.... is just messy

Wallach

I don't mind Voidstar really, I just think it is the most predictable of the three warzones due to being strongly in favor of the attacking side. The flow of most matches is very similar, whereas the other two seem to have a lot more volatility.

Wallach

Is it something you can just find on accident or is that something you need to be intentionally exploiting.

While technically it is something you might trip on accident, you probably wouldn't notice and neither would they. You'd definitely have to intentionally be exploiting this to get their attention.

Blitzzz

so I assumed smuggler act 1 ended on alderran (since people said ~level 30) so I decided to blitz through it and just do class quests.... alderran finishes and act 1 keeps going :(

now i'm no longer overlevelled and my quest log is full lol.... ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu!

Wallach

so I assumed smuggler act 1 ended on alderran (since people said ~level 30) so I decided to blitz through it and just do class quests.... alderran finishes and act 1 keeps going :(

now i'm no longer overlevelled and my quest log is full lol.... ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu!

It is just about to end. There's only a couple steps involved beyond Alderaan.

If you blitzed through your class quests, how are you over leveled? You should be under leveled unless you been doing alot of other things.

H3xum

So I have a quick question for all of you currently playing, if you'll indulge me.

How much can be achieved in this game playing by yourself?

I unfortunately don't have the schedule I'd like to have to commit to this game, but I unfortunately have an awfully addicting personality, so it wouldn't be hard to see myself pissing off obligations/life in general to play. However, I feel like if I can get all the great quests and not miss out on great loot playing by myself, I won't feel pressured to grind it out hard and party hard to attain the aforementioned goodies.

tl;dr Can I play by myself and still get to max lvl and still get great equips

So I have a quick question for all of you currently playing, if you'll indulge me.

How much can be achieved in this game playing by yourself?

I unfortunately don't have the schedule I'd like to have to commit to this game, but I unfortunately have an awfully addicting personality, so it wouldn't be hard to see myself pissing off obligations/life in general to play. However, I feel like if I can get all the great quests and not miss out on great loot playing by myself, I won't feel pressured to grind it out hard and party hard to attain the aforementioned goodies.

tl;dr Can I play by myself and still get to max lvl and still get great equips

You can solo most of the game, including all class story content. Not get the best gear, but just the money you make in game and quest rewards should get you decent gear and buying stuff off the online auction market.

cametall

Did the Mandalorian FP for the first time last night. I play a hybrid healing/DPS operative, usually never have trouble healing.

I don't know if it was my group's negligence or if my hybrid build is starting to hit a "healing wall" but a few encounters in there were impossible to heal through without our off-healing BH.

Specifically
the area you cross a small platform and 4 - 6 "dogs" jump up and rape you, too many mobs at once and the first boss who randomly targets party members. It felt like the boss' dogs would stick to me most of the time.

Maybe what seemed like near impossible odds were just poor pulls by our tank, but it was rough in there.

I'm level 26 for reference.

SleazyC

Did the Mandalorian FP for the first time last night. I play a hybrid healing/DPS operative, usually never have trouble healing.

I don't know if it was my group's negligence or if my hybrid build is starting to hit a "healing wall" but a few encounters in there were impossible to heal through without our off-healing BH.

Specifically
the area you cross a small platform and 4 - 6 "dogs" jump up and rape you, too many mobs at once and the first boss who randomly targets party members. It felt like the boss' dogs would stick to me most of the time.

Maybe what seemed like near impossible odds were just poor pulls by our tank, but it was rough in there.

I'm level 26 for reference.
I don't think I had any serious issues healing (though I am a pure healing operative spec) until I did Boarding Party with two tanks (one dpsing) and we fought a boss that needed some speedy DPS to deal with. Took us several tries but did it by the skin of our teeth. Going back there with the proper comp made it much easier though.

H3xum

You can solo most of the game, including all class story content. Not get the best gear, but just the money you make in game and quest rewards should get you decent gear and buying stuff off the online auction market.

Thanks, you just sold a copy of the game. I suppose I didn't consider just buying gear, I can do that.

I concur on solo play. It's very solo friendly. I love the GAF guild but my available time to play has been pretty minimal lately. Nonetheless I'm lv25

TimeKillr

As a repeat of what people were saying earlier - Guardians/Juggs are kinda weird.

Yes, they are unkillables machines, but they do jack dps. And by that I mean it's so damn low it's ridiculous.

This is a problem because the game relies on dpsing to tank effectively since there are very few "high threat" abilities. Not to mention the complete lack of AoE which is frankly ridiculous.

Meanwhile, I fuck around with a Vanguard, which while has less survivability (I almost never died while leveling with my Guardian while I die often with my Vanguard) is a fucking DPS monster. You can clear a pack of 8 normal mobs with a single attack (mortar volley). It's absolutely RIDICULOUS! Their resource system also works a bit better and encourages you to swap attacks (doing the same one over and over will decrease the 4-ammo count much faster) so you need to be smart about what you're doing, but at least you can open up nicely with a lot of aggro instead of having to build up a resource then becoming resource-starved. If you manage your resource well as a Vanguard, you won't ever become resource-starved, while a Guardian can easily run out of resources if he has to run around too much.

Seriously, it's just... fucked. Their only clear advantage is that they just can't seem to die. They have the best defensive cooldown, the best defense in the game, but they just can't hold aggro it seems (or do any sort of decent damage).

So you want to be unkillable AND do great DPS....and don't see a problem with that?

Yea it would be great if we had more high threat AOE attacks, because grabbing a group of mobs as a Van/Jug is fucking dumb as shit. But I honestly wouldn't trade my ability to take more damage than basically anyone else for a huge DPS boost.

I think the best bet is to add some AOE skills to the baseline class, and high threat skills to the higher tier of the defense tree; then boost the DPS tree a bit. This way we don't have Juggs running around doing more DPS than DPS specced classes all the while taking a year to kill.

eznark

Banned
I concur on solo play. It's very solo friendly. I love the GAF guild but my available time to play has been pretty minimal lately. Nonetheless I'm lv25

Yeah, I'm level 16 and the only time I haven't solo'd was when I grouped with a random for Black Talon. I'd love to do more stuff with the guild but it's going to be awhile before I'm a useful level.

As a repeat of what people were saying earlier - Guardians/Juggs are kinda weird.

Yes, they are unkillables machines, but they do jack dps. And by that I mean it's so damn low it's ridiculous.

This is a problem because the game relies on dpsing to tank effectively since there are very few "high threat" abilities. Not to mention the complete lack of AoE which is frankly ridiculous.

Meanwhile, I fuck around with a Vanguard, which while has less survivability (I almost never died while leveling with my Guardian while I die often with my Vanguard) is a fucking DPS monster. You can clear a pack of 8 normal mobs with a single attack (mortar volley). It's absolutely RIDICULOUS! Their resource system also works a bit better and encourages you to swap attacks (doing the same one over and over will decrease the 4-ammo count much faster) so you need to be smart about what you're doing, but at least you can open up nicely with a lot of aggro instead of having to build up a resource then becoming resource-starved. If you manage your resource well as a Vanguard, you won't ever become resource-starved, while a Guardian can easily run out of resources if he has to run around too much.

Seriously, it's just... fucked. Their only clear advantage is that they just can't seem to die. They have the best defensive cooldown, the best defense in the game, but they just can't hold aggro it seems (or do any sort of decent damage).

Jugs are tanks, it's what they do and they do it well. Don't see how that is a problem. How are you not holding aggro? The AOE taunt has a ridiculously fast CD. As a tank you should not be worrying about killing shit, thats what others are for, you are there to be a sponge and Jugs are damn good at it. There clear advantage is they are more defensive, that is a huge advantage. In PVP geared jugs are monsters that take usually team work to bring down, making them more offensive capable is just going to break them.

Lilsnubby

Seems like my sever is an interesting mix of veteran mmo (WoW) players and people completely new to the genre. I'll group with people that know exactly what to do along with others who are asking the most basic questions. It's actually a fun mix.

Tacitus_

I dunno, the Jugg I've been doing hardmodes with has been keeping aggro pretty good. Obviously when I blow all my cooldowns at the start I have to vanish to reset my threat, but if I don't do that, he keeps aggro just fine.

Top Bottom