• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Yes, I have this bad boy right here: Guard

However, read the tooltip again. "Guards the target while it remains within 15 meters. While active, the target takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat. In addition, 50% of all incoming damage from enemy players is transferred back to you. Requires Soresu Form."

That 50% damage transfer only works in PvP. Regardless, I do put it on my healers because it helps. What usually happens is a few of the mobs that are out of range of my AoE damage attacks will jump to the healer as soon as he starts landing some spells. This is simply because I have zero threat on them and his heals are drawing their attention. I then have to peel them off him. It's just a pain when the pack is made up of ALL ranged mobs. They don't clump together so you almost have to deal with each one individually.

Ranged enemies rarely move, and the way they are set in most mobs they are mostly in your aoe range unless someone in the group is knocking them around. Any outside of the mob group should be CC'd if they are elites while a charge and aoe into the mob generally will pull them all to you. With guard, the healer is usually safe. The biggest issue I've had with peeling off enemies is because of some of the absurd damage dealers, rarely because of the healer, who also if properly specced will have his/her talent points in her own threat reduction abilities. Healers are responsible in this manner also for their own threat generation, while DPS characters don't really have anyway to mitigate it and often to me are the culprits of pulling off aggro.

EekTheKat

Yes, I have this bad boy right here: Guard

However, read the tooltip again. "Guards the target while it remains within 15 meters. While active, the target takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat. In addition, 50% of all incoming damage from enemy players is transferred back to you. Requires Soresu Form."

That 50% damage transfer only works in PvP. Regardless, I do put it on my healers because it helps. What usually happens is a few of the mobs that are out of range of my AoE damage attacks will jump to the healer as soon as he starts landing some spells. This is simply because I have zero threat on them and his heals are drawing their attention. I then have to peel them off him. It's just a pain when the pack is made up of ALL ranged mobs. They don't clump together so you almost have to deal with each one individually.

[edit]NM, the threat reduction/damage reduction part works (5% damage reduction, 25 less threat). the 50% part is to give the talent some use in PvP.

IMHO, the key here is 15 Meters. Guard doesn't do a thing for your healer if you're off trying to intercept a ranged mob beating on your healer that's more than 15 yards away (and they usually are more than 15 meters away). You can actually see the guard buff kick in when you stand closer to the healer.

Woorloog

Banned
So, do i have too much affection with Vette as i gained a companion guest from her.. the quest's level is 29, my level is 18...

Woorloog

Banned
Probably. Raising affection with companions unlocks quests at times, and makes them more effecient at their tasks you send them out on.

Should have phrased it as "too much affection for current level", after all there's nothing wrong with having a lot of affection. First time i noticed the affection meter tops out at 10k i was like, what a grindfest... as i think of this, i think it is harder to gain 100 affection in Dragon Age Origins than 10k in this game...
Of course the affection bonus to crew skills is largery useless for me. I keep Vette with me during questing and that ain't going to change anytime soon... Ah well, once i get Malaivi Quinn, i can raise his affection and keep him on crew missions with the ship droid (by the way, in case someone doesn't know, you can summon him as companion, he works as a healer with no attack abilities and he can be geared with droid items).

Should have phrased it as "too much affection for current level", after all there's nothing wrong with having a lot of affection. First time i noticed the affection meter tops out at 10k i was like, what a grindfest... as i think of this, i think it is harder to gain 100 affection in Dragon Age Origins than 10k in this game...
Of course the affection bonus to crew skills is largery useless for me. I keep Vette with me during questing and that ain't going to change anytime soon... Ah well, once i get Malaivi Quinn, i can raise his affection and keep him on crew missions with the ship droid (by the way, in case someone doesn't know, you can summon him as companion, he works as a healer with no attack abilities and he can be geared with droid items).

Your going to want to raise affection with everyone eventually just to make them more effecient at the crew skills. If you actively are trying to raise affection it's not that hard as getting companion gifts is quite easy in this compared to Biowares other games.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
So, do i have too much affection with Vette as i gained a companion guest from her.. the quest's level is 29, my level is 18...

I had that happen to me with Mako, so I avoided it. Then it turned out the quest only entailed talking to a guy in a Cantina. Now I have a level 40 quest in a separate phased area, but I'm worried it will be a fight this time, so I'm avoiding it again.

Woorloog

Banned
I had that happen to me with Mako, so I avoided it. Then it turned out the quest only entailed talking to a guy in a Cantina. Now I have a level 40 quest in a separate phased area, but I'm worried it will be a fight this time, so I'm avoiding it again.

In that case i'll go try doing the quest the moment i hit level 20 and go to Nar Shaddaa. 2 more levels in Balmorra... mixed feelings about that planet. Too big, too repetitive though i really like its looks. Too many heroics, missing like a third of the quests as i'm not really keen on grouping up.

CzarTim

I really wish I had rolled Empire for my main. PVP is what will keep me playing this game, and saying that the the Republic on KV only win 1 of every 5 matches is being generous. Meanwhile the imps seem better organized and better geared.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i just got passed Act 1 of Imperial Agent and im curious as to how my choice (there were three large, very different choices) plays out in the remainder of the game. Barring the buggy fight at the end, great job Bioware. How Act 2 is starting off has me pretty excited.

And i took the description of James Bond in Space to heart when creating my character. i modeled my Agent after Bond in personality, what my allies think be damned. The only difference is that he is blue and very overweight lol Some of the lines for the sexual conquest stuff must have been hard to record they are so hilarious.

Also this is the most un-Star Wars story since KotOR 2. i mean they both work in the universe but its so unlike any of the movies or most of the EU its refreshing.

i really need to play a different class just to see how the quality of the stories differ.

Azzurri

I really wish I had rolled Empire for my main. PVP is what will keep me playing this game, and saying that the the Republic on KV only win 1 of every 5 matches is being generous. Meanwhile the imps seem better organized and better geared.

Opposite on my server, I have both a Imp and Rep, and the Republic is more organized and actually heal in WZ.

erragal

i just got passed Act 1 of Imperial Agent and im curious as to how my choice (there were three large, very different choices) plays out in the remainder of the game. Barring the buggy fight at the end, great job Bioware. How Act 2 is starting off has me pretty excited.

And i took the description of James Bond in Space to heart when creating my character. i modeled my Agent after Bond in personality, what my allies think be damned. The only difference is that he is blue and very overweight lol Some of the lines for the sexual conquest stuff must have been hard to record they are so hilarious.

Also this is the most un-Star Wars story since KotOR 2. i mean they both work in the universe but its so unlike any of the movies or most of the EU its refreshing.

i really need to play a different class just to see how the quality of the stories differ.

The Bounty Hunter one is similarly very light on Star Wars cliches but leans more towards the silly/absurd than the IA storyline. Warrior one is very straightforward comparatively but appropriate for the class; you can really play it out as a purely sadistic killer if you'd like. I actually think lightside Warrior could end up really interesting if I wasn't so enamoured of maximizing my cutscene kill count.

frequency

The Bounty Hunter one is similarly very light on Star Wars cliches but leans more towards the silly/absurd than the IA storyline. Warrior one is very straightforward comparatively but appropriate for the class; you can really play it out as a purely sadistic killer if you'd like. I actually think lightside Warrior could end up really interesting if I wasn't so enamoured of maximizing my cutscene kill count.

I am not at all a Star Wars fan so that sounds nice. Is it silly/absurd in a comedic way? I would love a comedic story.

JWong

Banned
"You're really weird, you know"
That's what Vette says to flirting... she really should say that after giving her a lot of gifts.

You: Memories of the best times in life are treasures later in life.
Vette: Who are you and what happened to the Sith I know?

Such funny dialogue lol.

pahamrick

So, I'm working on my cybertech guy and I noticed I can't make odd numbered mods (Might Mod 5, ect) only even numbered ones.

Anyone know if the odd numbered ones are drops so they can be learned by reverse engineering them, or what?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So, I'm working on my cybertech guy and I noticed I can't make odd numbered mods (Might Mod 5, ect) only even numbered ones.

Anyone know if the odd numbered ones are drops so they can be learned by reverse engineering them, or what?
Its probably something like that. i know with Ship Upgrades it works kind of like that. The even numbered ones are crafted, the odd are store bought.

I've been debating respecing my guy to lightening. Healing is awesome and all, but it gets a little boring. If Bioware simply gave us dual-spec, this wouldn't be an issue!

It's fantastic. Improved shield helps for solo'ing and all the mana back you can potentially get really helps. Chain lightning is just amazing.

SpudBud

We need to get the guild together and start running groups. Too bad it's still limited to 4 though.

erragal

I am not at all a Star Wars fan so that sounds nice. Is it silly/absurd in a comedic way? I would love a comedic story.

My friend is the one playing the BH, between what I've seen and what he's told me (We don't do every single story segment together) it's definitely the only one that's specifically written to be amusing/silly/funny at times. He also really enjoys it because it's the only Empire line where you're not really working for the empire directly; tends to be structured a bit differently because of that.

(Revan spoilers)
They confirmed he was male and gave him a voice? Holy shit. And you have to kill HK-47 and Revan? WTF? I can't do that! I was Revan and HK was my bro! You better be able to spare them. I just reached HK but he kicked out arse.

Holy fuck! What level?

pahamrick

Its probably something like that. i know with Ship Upgrades it works kind of like that. The even numbered ones are crafted, the odd are store bought.

I've hit up every mod vendor I have access to level wise (up to Nar Shadaa) and no go, so I'm thinking (hoping) they're probably drops or something.

cackhyena

I think I'd be okay with that. Just for seeing the story elements. I'm not really that good on m+kb, so if shit is too hard, I'm floundering around.

Darklord

Banned
I think I'd be okay with that. Just for seeing the story elements. I'm not really that good on m+kb, so if shit is too hard, I'm floundering around.

The Foundry has the biggest story elements if you're a Kotor fan but it's pretty hard. The 2nd boss beat the shit out of my group but I'm ok with that for one time considering who it was.

Xyphie

Hi GAF,

Thinking of playing this a former WoW friend and got some questions. We've both played WoW for 7+ years on-and-off on a high level so we know the lingo and so on.

• What classes are in demand? I imagine light saber-wielding classes are the equivalent of undead rogues (i.e. not in high demand for groups). Preferably I'd like to play something with CC, utility etc.
  • What's a good server on Euro-side, we are Swedes and don't want to play with Greeks, Russians and other people that don't speak English and/or Swedish.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Okay.. early on in Imperial Agent Act 2..

kPjV7.gif

Hi GAF,

Thinking of playing this a former WoW friend and got some questions. We've both played WoW for 7+ years on-and-off on a high level so we know the lingo and so on.

• What classes are in demand? I imagine light saber-wielding classes are the equivalent of undead rogues (i.e. not in high demand for groups). Preferably I'd like to play something with CC, utility etc.
  • What's a good server on Euro-side, we are Swedes and don't want to play with Greeks, Russians and other people that don't speak English and/or Swedish.

Tanks and healers are always in high demand, regardless of class. So you can still swing your glowie sticks and get groups.

Realyn

Hi GAF,

Well, I would invite you to my German server, but I don´t think you will like it there either :D.

Roll a Inqui/Sage. I picked one without knowing that they are kinda op and I am allready scared of the nerf :(. I played alot of healers/mages in DAoC and WoW and well, Sage/Inqui are simply too strong.

For the record, I played WoW till the first World Event in the dessert. Look at the priest. He had two choices. Spec heal and find raids or spec damage and go PvP - sad truth.

My lvl 25 heal specced sage on the other hand has:

-Amazing baseline CC. 4 sec instant stun on 1 min cd, AoE knockback on 0.15 cd, instant slow on 12 sec, incredible speed bost on 1 min, 10 second mezz on 1.30
-Small/large heal, Shield, HoT. Improved HoT can give a shield and the next large heal will be 1 sec faster or the small ineffective heal will cost less force. Later on you get a AoE heal as well.
-HUGE damage. I´m not joking. You got DoT´s as well as direct damage spells.

Some pages ago a sentinel or some other "weaker" class said they cant even kill a elie nad have problems with strong monster. Well, I am not lying if I say I can kill 3 Elite of my same level. One gets mezzed, the other tanked by my companion, which I throw HoTs on, while I kite/kill the last one.

Xiaoki

Hi GAF,

Since there are only 4 classes you see all of them in equal numbers.

Healers seem to be in demand the most. There are actually quite a few tanks.

windz

Misclicking when buying things with tokens sucks :(. Oops, wrong one, yeah, there goes the tokens. The auction house is so clunky to use at times, I mean, I'm quick with it, but it could be streamlined soooo much more. Haven't got to play much at all over the past 2 weeks (couple hours) but I am level 31 and can't wait to play more. Bounty Hunter is a lot of fun and as per previous questions, the storyline can be fairly comical at times with your decisions/dialogue.

Interfectum

im loving the sith warrior story in this game. you can really be an evil piece of shit if you want to be (im not going pure evil, just anti jedi. i fucking hate jedi).

Okay.. early on in Imperial Agent Act 2..

*Bad Boys 2 GIF*

Love reading your reactions, the IA storyline is without a doubt my favorite in the game and it's criminal that it's attached to whats probably the least played class. That will hopefully change when word of mouth and the desire for more alts hits most of the player base.

Moaradin

IA story has been one of my favorite stories in a RPG in a long time. It's just so good and gives a great perspective of the universe that the other classes don't get. I honestly don't know if this type of story has ever been explored in Star Wars before. Certainly not in any of the games. I would love a spin off single player RPG focused on the Imperial Agent.

Garryk

IA story has been one of my favorite stories in a RPG in a long time. It's just so good and gives a great perspective of the universe that the other classes don't get. I honestly don't know if this type of story has ever been explored in Star Wars before. Certainly not in any of the games. I would love a spin off single player RPG focused on the Imperial Agent.
I think the closest we get in the EU is some of the Rogue Squadron books. Some Imperial investigator is chasing Corran Horn around.

EDIT: Actually there is quite a bit more. Imperial Security Bureau

Interfectum

Love reading your reactions, the IA storyline is without a doubt my favorite in the game and it's criminal that it's attached to whats probably the least played class. That will hopefully change when word of mouth and the desire for more alts hits most of the player base.

Well I'm dropping my BH to roll an IA due to the story praise (after i beat it with the SW).

So... sniper vs operative? :D

Top Bottom