• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

daedalius

Everyone everywhere complains about everything.

I'm sure there are some 50's who enjoy easy wins against lower levels with half their abilities and crappy gear.

While this is true, i just didn't expect it immediately; I should have known better with my history of mmo-forum discourse.

KaYotiX

Banned
Everyone everywhere complains about everything.

I'm sure there are some 50's who enjoy easy wins against lower levels with half their abilities and crappy gear.

Yup, im so glad 50's are finally getting stuck in thier own bracket. I cant wait to hear them bitch becasue they cant get easy wins anymore. Alot of the 50s ive seen are pretty shitty PvPers too, so no more just beating on guys 15 levels lower.

Zafir

If I'm honest, it's just as annoying as a level 50 when your team is full of lower levels and you get owned by a team full of 50s. It doesn't solve all issues though. Level 49 will be the new 50 in the lower bracket, and level 50s will still have issues going against teams with full pvp gear. I suppose adding more brackets and the team vs team thing they mentioned may solve those. Will have to wait and see.

KaYotiX

Banned
If I'm honest, it's just as annoying as a level 50 when your team is full of lower levels and you get owned by a team full of 50s. It doesn't solve all issues though. Level 49 will be the new 50 in the lower bracket, and level 50s will still have issues going against teams with full pvp gear. I suppose adding more brackets and the team vs team thing they mentioned may solve those. Will have to wait and see.

Its a start, im glad they are actually listening though so thats nice.

sangreal

If I'm honest, it's just as annoying as a level 50 when your team is full of lower levels and you get owned by a team full of 50s. It doesn't solve all issues though. Level 49 will be the new 50 in the lower bracket

I don't think so. The biggest issue with Level 50s wasn't really the abilities/talents, but the gear. Once people hit 50 they start grinding out PVP or even PVE endgame gear and that is when things really start to get unbalanced. People can do this before 50 too, but PVP gives you experience so they'll find themselves in the 50 bracket eventually.

and level 50s will still have issues going against teams with full pvp gear.

This is certainly true.

Izayoi

Banned
This is one of my main reasons I cancelled. My brother has been max level for a few days, and he's been looking at gear. When he realized that the PVP gear was easier to get and better than PVE items, he cancelled his sub. It's like having battleground gear in WoW being better than heroic gear.

Not that they can't turn it around, but it's decisions like these that make it abundantly clear that this is Bioware's first MMO.
The PvE gear is better for PvE, the PvP gear is better for PvP...

antonz

The issue I have is PVP gear is far too easy to get versus even the crappiest tier of PVE gear. It takes like 39 Tionese Commendations and like 72 Tionese Crystals to get 1 pve pieces while I can cap 5 spots on Ilum and get a piece in 5 minutes.

I know I ran into a Sith player as my Trooper was running through his regular quests, so yes, you can make your way into opposing faction areas.

But unless Sith are generally allowed into Anchorhead, I don't think you can reach that (surrounded by exhaustion zones).

I got popped at a Republic Medical Station. I thought it was Imperial so I could repair and buy a heal or two. Nope, and then the Republic guard blew me up :(

Wallach

The issue I have is PVP gear is far too easy to get versus even the crappiest tier of PVE gear. It takes like 39 Tionese Commendations and like 72 Tionese Crystals to get 1 pve pieces while I can cap 5 spots on Ilum and get a piece in 5 minutes.

It really is, unless you have the most dire RNG with the bags. I can only guess it will take a lot more work after 1.1. Was hoping to see Tionese tier stuff go down in cost too, since that seems way too expensive currently.

It really is, unless you have the most dire RNG with the bags. I can only guess it will take a lot more work after 1.1. Was hoping to see Tionese tier stuff go down in cost too, since that seems way too expensive currently.

Why will it be more work after 1.1? In fact Battlemaster gear will be even easier to obtain from what I read.

daedalius

The fact is is that the PVP gear is much easier to obtain that PVE gear of the same caliber, and quite honestly the PVP gear is actually nearly as good especially for tanks.

This should really only be a problem for anyone if people start frequently using said PVP gear in PVE and it performing better.

I never really understood the epeen gear factor between pvp and pve. Even if I had full epic pvp gear, does that mean I don't want full epic pve gear? no.

Of course you would probably be flipping out if they just gave everyone pvp gear for cheap so it would actually be competitive; gotta EARN that gear in pvp! And by earn, I mean constantly get shit on by people WITH said gear.

Blizzard had the right idea with the Arena server where they just handed you proper gear; it can actually be competitive then.

zlatko

Banned
So I bought the game, and got back to level 5 last night in 2 hours. Can't wait to play more after work today.

At what level do you start to access the skill trees?

cametall

The PvE gear is better for PvE, the PvP gear is better for PvP...

Is that true for SWTOR though? I've been hearing mention from friends who are higher levels than me that their PVP gear has always been all around better (both for PVP and PVE) than the PVE gear they've been getting.

That is excluding raid gear though, which none of us have experience with yet.

Izayoi

Banned
The fact is is that the PVP gear is much easier to obtain that PVE gear of the same caliber, and quite honestly the PVP gear is actually nearly as good especially for tanks.
You're losing out on dozens of main stat and endurance by going with PvP gear over PvE stuff. I don't really think that it's "nearly as good".

Interfectum

So I bought the game, and got back to level 5 last night in 2 hours. Can't wait to play more after work today.

At what level do you start to access the skill trees?

Level 10 is when you choose your advanced class / start working on your skill tree.

v I win.

Wallach

Why will it be more work after 1.1? In fact Battlemaster gear will be even easier to obtain from what I read.

How many tokens is it per piece after the change? The bags don't have any items in them anymore. Plus it will be harder to complete the Ilum dailies since there are new objectives for them.

This should really only be a problem for anyone if people start frequently using said PVP gear in PVE and it performing better.

I never really understood the epeen gear factor between pvp and pve. Even if I had full epic pvp gear, does that mean I don't want full epic pve gear? no.

Of course you would probably be flipping out if they just gave everyone pvp gear for cheap so it would actually be competitive; gotta EARN that gear in pvp! And by earn, I mean constantly get shit on by people WITH said gear.

I'm constantly being asked to tank hardmode fp runs b/c I have nearly full champion pvp gear.

I have over 20k health, I have 40% shield, 35% absorb, and like 13% dodge.

Its to the point that running hardmode flashpoints are irrelevant to me b/c at best the gear that I would have to grind towards is side grades. The only way for me to improve my gear via PVE is hard OPS.

Izayoi

Banned
Is that true for SWTOR though? I've been hearing mention from friends who are higher levels than me that their PVP gear has always been all around better (both for PVP and PVE) than the PVE gear they've been getting.

That is excluding raid gear though, which none of us have experience with yet.
It is definitely true. A full Columi set (hard mode) gives me over a hundred more (closer to 200, I think) each of Aim and Endurance compared to a full Champion (mid-tier) PvP set.

How many tokens is it per piece after the change? The bags don't have any items in them anymore. Plus it will be harder to complete the Ilum dailies since there are new objectives for them.

I guess we will have to wait and see. The way they worded it made it look like it would just be 1 token for 1 piece but I guess that doesn't make sense.

Also Illum will never be harder. Each side will just trade. May take 30 more minutes but still trading is trading.

daedalius

I'm constantly being asked to tank hardmode fp runs b/c I have nearly full champion pvp gear.

I have over 20k health, I have 40% shield, 35% absorb, and like 13% dodge.

Its to the point that running hardmode flashpoints are irrelevant to me b/c at best the gear that I would have to grind towards is side grades. The only way for me to improve my gear via PVE is hard OPS.

So its a design oversight that the PVP gear is amazing for tanks in PVE as well.

All I am calling for is a decently competitive playing field in terms of gear in pvp, how it relates to pve is beside the point. You shouldn't be able to use pvp gear effectively to pve in, the fact you can is a mistake with the implementation.

You're losing out on dozens of main stat and endurance by going with PvP gear over PvE stuff. I don't really think that it's "nearly as good".

My point is that I obtained nearly a full set of champion PVP gear within the first two weeks of playing.

I have such a gear lead on everyone its not even funny.

Even if I ran all the hardmode flashpoints everyday, it will still be awhile until I got my first Columni piece.

Or I can run pvp everyday and start getting Battlemaster gear which is better than Columni....

Now look at this hypothetical I have top tier pvp gear. The only better gear is Rakata which I subsequently can only get through hardmode ops.

There is a problem when I can grind pvp games out and have gear that quickly while struggling to obtain even single pieces of pve gear.

So its a design oversight that the PVP gear is amazing for tanks in PVE as well.

All I am calling for is a decently competitive playing field in terms of gear in pvp, how it relates to pve is beside the point. You shouldn't be able to use pvp gear effectively to pve in, the fact you can is a mistake with the implementation.

I know that's the point I was making. Thank you for further iterating it.

antonz

As far as I know its only battlemaster gear thats being made harder to get. Champion which would be the Columi of PVE gear is still the same.

Wallach

As far as I know its only battlemaster gear thats being made harder to get. Champion which would be the Columi of PVE gear is still the same.

Yeah, it looks like it might just be Battlemaster stuff. I suppose the Champion stuff isn't very competitive in PvE either way, though it seems silly to leave it as an RNG lottery if they are fixing the Battlemaster tier.

antonz

Yeah, it looks like it might just be Battlemaster stuff. I suppose the Champion stuff isn't very competitive in PvE either way, though it seems silly to leave it as an RNG lottery if they are fixing the Battlemaster tier.

Honestly the Champion gear is pretty nice. It is mostly better than Tionese PVE gear in every way and far easier to get. It certainly makes getting into raiding easier as you can be fully decked out and replace PVP gear with highend PVE as you get it.

The RNG does suck in general. I went on a streak of like 20+ bags where I got nothing but Comms then one day 5 out of 6 bags gave me gear. Have a buddy on bag 35 and only has 3 pieces.

Einbroch

Banned
It is definitely true. A full Columi set (hard mode) gives me over a hundred more (closer to 200, I think) each of Aim and Endurance compared to a full Champion (mid-tier) PvP set.

Full Columi gives 26% (117) more Aim and 17% (80) more Endurance than Champion. For the Tech type.

Except Champion is SO much easier to get. They each give the same Power, Accuracy, Critical, and Surge. The only difference is ~100 more of each of your primary stats. The fact that is takes literally no skill at all (you can just AFK in a warfront or be completely awful and die 100 times) to get items that comparable to hard mode instances is nuts.

That's the issue. Either buff the "hard" stuff or nerf the easy stuff.

Wallach

Honestly the Champion gear is pretty nice. It is mostly better than Tionese PVE gear in every way and far easier to get. It certainly makes getting into raiding easier as you can be fully decked out and replace PVP gear with highend PVE as you get it.

The RNG does suck in general. I went on a streak of like 20+ bags where I got nothing but Comms then one day 5 out of 6 bags gave me gear. Have a buddy on bag 35 and only has 3 pieces.

It's definitely better than Tionese, and it should be (the ilvls mean it is T2, which is the counterpart to Columi @ rating 56 compared to Tionese 51). It's just a bigger problem of how easy it is to get right now. No idea what they were thinking in that regard.

antonz

Full Columi gives 26% (117) more Aim and 17% (80) more Endurance than Champion. For the Tech type.

Except Champion is SO much easier to get. They each give the same Power, Accuracy, Critical, and Surge. The only difference is ~100 more of each of your primary stats. The fact that is takes literally no skill at all (you can just AFK in a warfront or be completely awful and die 100 times) to get items that comparable to hard mode instances is nuts.

That's the issue. Either buff the "hard" stuff or nerf the easy stuff.

As someone who runs hardmodes quite frequent they need to adjust the loot tables more too. Certain classes gear drops way too freqeuntly. Bounty Hunter in particular seems to drop way too often. In like 60 runs I have seen like 1 Inquisitor item, 3 agent, 1 warrior and like 55 bounty hunter items

usea

If one were to skip lvl 40 speeder training, would they eventually have to buy it at 50 to get the lvl 50 speeder training? Or can you get the 50 without the 40?

erragal

As someone who runs hardmodes quite frequent they need to adjust the loot tables more too. Certain classes gear drops way too freqeuntly. Bounty Hunter in particular seems to drop way too often. In like 60 runs I have seen like 1 Inquisitor item, 3 agent, 1 warrior and like 55 bounty hunter items

RNG.

bjb

Banned
I hit Valor Rank 41 today, and still only have two pieces of Champions gear. Meanwhile my buddy is rank 22 and almost has entire armor set.

Gotta love the RNG in this shit game. If only BF3 wasn't so boring lately.

Oh, and full PvE-geared Dps can go into a WZ' and straight up pop 300k damage easily. Seen both a Marauder and Commando do it thus far.

Xiaoki

If one were to skip lvl 40 speeder training, would they eventually have to buy it at 50 to get the lvl 50 speeder training? Or can you get the 50 without the 40?

You cant see level 50 speeder training until you buy level 40 training.

Dina

No, you need all steps. You need 25, and 40, and eventually 50.

sangreal

Looks like people solved how to get the Magenta lightsaber crystal, with "puzzles" such as this one and the +10 stats datacron, it makes me wonder if anything else is hidden.

Yeah, they figured it out the other day as soon as the developer confirmed it was in game and gave a cryptic hint.

What disturbs me is that he labeled it "one of the rarest items in the game," but it was only rare until people figured out the (easy once you know it) puzzle

I hit Valor Rank 41 today, and still only have two pieces of Champions gear. Meanwhile my buddy is rank 22 and almost has entire armor set.

Gotta love the RNG in this shit game. If only BF3 wasn't so boring lately.

Oh, and full PvE-geared Dps can go into a WZ' and straight up pop 300k damage easily. Seen both a Marauder and Commando do it thus far.

They are also glass cannons and they probably are putting out that much damage on people with no expertise and lowbies. Not to mention aoe scoreboard padding.

Yeah, they figured it out the other day as soon as the developer confirmed it was in game and gave a cryptic hint.

What disturbs me is that he labeled it "one of the rarest items in the game," but it was only rare until people figured out the (easy once you know it) puzzle

Yeah not sure how I feel about the developer helping out near the end, and also touting the fact that it was in Beta and how shocked they were no one found it. I don't know about other players in Beta, but I was busy testing the actual game to go on a goose hunt for a pink lightsaber. :lol

Interesting that he wants feedback on those types of puzzles and that they might be going this route in the future for other hidden items.

Choc

Banned
what the fuck are bioware game designers thinking

rolling a sniper, on tatooine and there has been two bosses now where they instantly attack after a cut scene so you can't setup etc as a sniper

as a sniper, this is the biggest disadvantage ever as the class relies so much on being in cover. You can usually get around this by getting a medical probe and setting up the shots and starting the fight from cover but these two fights in particular, the character goes invisible and you can't target them until you get into melee range

if you are going to build a heavily dependent on range class you can't fucking have situations like this and not expect people to not smash keyboards.

They probably won't fix it either because 'its part of the story and has to be like that'. Don't make the sniper so fucking reliant on cover then.

AND

your companion is taken out straight away with a daze bomb and so you are getting pummelled over and over again whilst your tank is fucked. Sure you can daze the other character, or at least try to.

The boss character also has a major attack which doesn't have a charge so you can't see it and therefore cannot interrupt it......

Unbelieveably SHIT design around the Sniper this bit. I finally did it but fuck me, Bioware needs to learn to cater to class specifics.

Mairu

It was only rare because the puzzle wasn't really something that had any reference anywhere in the game. How would they expect people to take water from Tattooine to some random spot on Hoth and bring it to Ilum without datamining?

what the fuck are bioware game designers thinking

rolling a sniper, on tatooine and there has been two bosses now where they instantly attack after a cut scene so you can't setup etc as a sniper

as a sniper, this is the biggest disadvantage ever as the class relies so much on being in cover. You can usually get around this by getting a medical probe and setting up the shots and starting the fight from cover but these two fights in particular, the character goes invisible and you can't target them until you get into melee range

if you are going to build a heavily dependent on range class you can't fucking have situations like this and not expect people to not smash keyboards.

They probably won't fix it either because 'its part of the story and has to be like that'. Don't make the sniper so fucking reliant on cover then.

AND

your companion is taken out straight away with a daze bomb and so you are getting pummelled over and over again whilst your tank is fucked. Sure you can daze the other character, or at least try to.

The boss character also has a major attack which doesn't have a charge so you can't see it and therefore cannot interrupt it......

Unbelieveably SHIT design around the Sniper this bit. I finally did it but fuck me, Bioware needs to learn to cater to class specifics.

I rather like these encounters that you have to try again from different perspectives, hate how cookie cutter most encounters end up because you have a procedure you develop. Even if I get owned, its fine, just time to retry and adapt. Other players are doing it, it's not impossible, you did it, it's just a challenge.

sangreal

What about purple? How do I get purple color crystals? :(

Play Sith

I rather like these encounters that you have to try again from different perspectives, hate how cookie cutter most encounters end up because you have a procedure you develop. Even if I get owned, its fine, just time to retry and adapt. Other players are doing it, it's not impossible, you did it, it's just a challenge.

That's all dandy until you're on a quest that doesn't let you use the field rez and you have to travel across the map (and through all the spawns) to try again.

Even that wouldn't bother me if it weren't so arbitrary and inconsistent.

Wallach

Did hard mode Esseles for the first time earlier. The mando boss was by far the hardest guy in there, and the others seemed to range between easy and "that could have been a trash mob."

Needs tweaking, but at least it is some easy loot if you can get past the mando.

Top Bottom