• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
what the fuck are bioware game designers thinking

rolling a sniper, on tatooine and there has been two bosses now where they instantly attack after a cut scene so you can't setup etc as a sniper

as a sniper, this is the biggest disadvantage ever as the class relies so much on being in cover. You can usually get around this by getting a medical probe and setting up the shots and starting the fight from cover but these two fights in particular, the character goes invisible and you can't target them until you get into melee range

if you are going to build a heavily dependent on range class you can't fucking have situations like this and not expect people to not smash keyboards.

They probably won't fix it either because 'its part of the story and has to be like that'. Don't make the sniper so fucking reliant on cover then.

AND

your companion is taken out straight away with a daze bomb and so you are getting pummelled over and over again whilst your tank is fucked. Sure you can daze the other character, or at least try to.

The boss character also has a major attack which doesn't have a charge so you can't see it and therefore cannot interrupt it......

Unbelieveably SHIT design around the Sniper this bit. I finally did it but fuck me, Bioware needs to learn to cater to class specifics.
Which bosses are these? I don't recall running into any major issues with my sniper on that planet. Then again, I don't mind fighting from cover while in melee range either at times.

Choc

Banned
I rather like these encounters that you have to try again from different perspectives, hate how cookie cutter most encounters end up because you have a procedure you develop. Even if I get owned, its fine, just time to retry and adapt. Other players are doing it, it's not impossible, you did it, it's just a challenge.

i agree a challenge is good, but seriously the class RELIES on range to be at all good

it was pure fluke that i got past it (kited the fuck out of the boss). You shouldn't have to break AI walking routines to beat a boss. This seems pretty common in boss characters in this game i f the forums are to be believed. Kiting everyone = win.

the ghost elite boss

Dina

what the fuck are bioware game designers thinking

rolling a sniper, on tatooine and there has been two bosses now where they instantly attack after a cut scene so you can't setup etc as a sniper

as a sniper, this is the biggest disadvantage ever as the class relies so much on being in cover. You can usually get around this by getting a medical probe and setting up the shots and starting the fight from cover but these two fights in particular, the character goes invisible and you can't target them until you get into melee range

if you are going to build a heavily dependent on range class you can't fucking have situations like this and not expect people to not smash keyboards.

They probably won't fix it either because 'its part of the story and has to be like that'. Don't make the sniper so fucking reliant on cover then.

AND

your companion is taken out straight away with a daze bomb and so you are getting pummelled over and over again whilst your tank is fucked. Sure you can daze the other character, or at least try to.

The boss character also has a major attack which doesn't have a charge so you can't see it and therefore cannot interrupt it......

Unbelieveably SHIT design around the Sniper this bit. I finally did it but fuck me, Bioware needs to learn to cater to class specifics.

If you die and respawn on the same place, can't you start the fight on your terms?

Choc

Banned
If you die and respawn on the same place, can't you start the fight on your terms?
no because the boss is 'hidden' until you get within about 2 metres of it

thats what breaks that boss imo for the sniper. I get that the operative has the same story and boss but they would faceroll this guy whereas a sniper has a major problem.

If you could get Kaliyo to run in (you can't because you can't target it), that would be fine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
i agree a challenge is good, but seriously the class RELIES on range to be at all good

it was pure fluke that i got past it (kited the fuck out of the boss). You shouldn't have to break AI walking routines to beat a boss. This seems pretty common in boss characters in this game i f the forums are to be believed. Kiting everyone = win.

the ghost elite boss

lol Kiting = breaking games now?

Also, Jedi Knight bosses >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else in terms of challenge. Woof.

Ryu

no because the boss is 'hidden' until you get within about 2 metres of it

thats what breaks that boss imo for the sniper. I get that the operative has the same story and boss but they would faceroll this guy whereas a sniper has a major problem.

If you could get Kaliyo to run in (you can't because you can't target it), that would be fine.

Can't you just not attack for a few seconds and have your companion get threat on it? I'm sure you can survive a couple of hits until then... It just takes one hit from your companion to draw threat if you're just standing there...

Choc

Banned
Can't you just not attack for a few seconds and have your companion get threat on it? I'm sure you can survive a couple of hits until then... It just takes one hit from your companion to draw threat if you're just standing there...

companion gets threat and then boss instantly puts daze on companion for 1 minute which then lays on to you. You use a daze on the boss to stop them wailing on the companion so you have used one of your interrupts @ that point

perhaps the thing that really irked me about it was the bosses biggest attack did not have a 'charge' so i could not see it to interrupt it........

its just a very poorly thought out boss imo for sniper.

And clearly kiting and breaking AI routines is not exactly what Bioware would have intended.......

edit: Completely agree JK bosses are tough but this is just a poorly thought out scenario for the sniper

The operative would faceroll it as i said, but the sniper has a real hard time because of the fact you can't range target the boss. I also fight from melee in cover sometimes to get the cover bonus, but when the boss has the ability to smack you back HARD without a charge to interrupt, you tend to not want to do that.

Venfayth

Also, Jedi Knight bosses >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else in terms of challenge. Woof.

Jedi Knight is the only thing I've played and it's been very challenging for single player content, I'm saying this as a 6+ year player of WoW and plenty of other MMOs.

been hearing that playing this game in win xp sp 3 compacity mode greatly improves performance and allows the better texture models to kick in. Anybody try this? Not home yet.

If I could afford this game, i would so be playing it! ><

I'm worried by the time I can afford it in a couple months I'll be so far behind the curve it will be meaningless.

Lain

0318a47b57a8264f4a417c275224075cb2d9c92c.jpg

Finished Tatooine bonus quests on my Operative and hit level 34.
Soloing the last heroic quests was hard and tricky. I had to devise some kiting, clearing the whole place of the elites, making my lovely Kaliyo follow me so I could build enough aggro before getting her to attack, and making good use of all the various abilities to either save my ass or save Kaliyo's ass. It was worth it though. Felt like a badass at the end of it and my love for the Operative class keeps going up.

Also I started a Sith Inquisitor and made it to level 11, picked Sorc as the advanced class then logged off. When I went to look at my emails, I found one from Bioware congratulating me on making it to level 10, with a short explanation on advanced class, crew skill etc and a link to a progression guide. I don't remember such a thing when I made it to 10 on my Imperial Agent. Felt kind of nice, I must admit.

EDarkness

All I know is whoever designed the jedi knight quest mobs really hate jedis or there was some miscommunication about what the class would be capable of. The first part of the game is fine, but by the time you hit 21 or so the boss fights get hard as hell.

M.J. Doja

Banned
no just a random comment

in early release it was fine, now its full of idiots

You can definitely tell who the "WoW-kiddies" are when you glance at general chat. No offense to mature WoW players, its just the blatant trolling and shock attempts are so obvious that they're really easy to dismiss. KV has a pretty active general channel but most people are mature and mellow for the most part.

Ugh, working lots of OT this week so my playing time will be limited. I have some other things I need to attend to this week as well.

Hopefully I will get in at least a couple of levels if I can knock out quests on Alderaan pretty quickly, I already finished my Act 1 Bounty Hunter class quests.

I want to hit 50 soon so I can participate in some GAF runs and start funding an alt.

Macattk15

Its very lame that Republic Troopers can use Assault Cannons but both the Mercenary and Bounty Hunter are stuck using shitty Blaster Pistols.

bill0527

companion gets threat and then boss instantly puts daze on companion for 1 minute which then lays on to you. You use a daze on the boss to stop them wailing on the companion so you have used one of your interrupts @ that point

perhaps the thing that really irked me about it was the bosses biggest attack did not have a 'charge' so i could not see it to interrupt it........

its just a very poorly thought out boss imo for sniper.

And clearly kiting and breaking AI routines is not exactly what Bioware would have intended.......

edit: Completely agree JK bosses are tough but this is just a poorly thought out scenario for the sniper

The operative would faceroll it as i said, but the sniper has a real hard time because of the fact you can't range target the boss. I also fight from melee in cover sometimes to get the cover bonus, but when the boss has the ability to smack you back HARD without a charge to interrupt, you tend to not want to do that.

I never even looked too heavily at my companion skills, so I'm wondering if they have a CC breaker like every class gets. On my BH merc it's called Determination. If the companions have one also, you should be able to put it on one of your hotbars. I'm not sure it would work in that situation but it would be worth trying if the boss is that frustrating and taking your companion out of the fight right off the bat.

squidyj

Which bosses are these? I don't recall running into any major issues with my sniper on that planet. Then again, I don't mind fighting from cover while in melee range either at times.

I almost threw something when I fought
Darth Jadus at the end of Chapter 1
because I couldn't attack from range, I literally had to open up combat inside the dude. He wasn't a hard fight but still, that entire zone was ridiculously buggy and really damaged my perception of the game.

Again on that part
I think it's ridiculous how your IA character and really even the NPC characters have almost zero intelligence, or intuition, I would have loved to have been able to scream at the rooftops that it was all Jadus but I never got the option. I never even got to say "no shit" to the guy who thought it was a big secret that there was insider involvement in the destruction of the dominator. REALLY DUDE? I mean Darth Jadus tells me his stated mission is to spread fear and hate and degradation through the entire empire and then 5000 Imperial leaders get blown up by a major terrorist network that threatens every goddamn planet in the empire? I MEAN COME ON.

aranth

Jesus, the +10 datacron on the Republic Fleet was bugged as hell. Took us pretty much 3 hours, hundreds of /stuck and tears to get there.

Didn't have so much fun in MMO's in years though. It's always the people you play with what makes it worthwhile, not the game.

Just a friendly tip, you can actually change the armoring on epic gear, even if it's invisible. Right click the armoring mod in your backpack with the modding window open and it will appear in a hidden slot. I swapped the armoring on my Trooper pvp set, lost all expertise and some endurance for the armoring 23 you can buy with the daily commendations which has more of my main stat. Now I got near Columi tier in my PvP gear, not as good but close enough.

You can't actually remove the armoring, just overwrite it. Probably an oversight when they changed the gear around in the last patches of the beta.

Wallach

Jesus, the +10 datacron on the Republic Fleet was bugged as hell. Took us pretty much 3 hours, hundreds of /stuck and tears to get there.

Didn't have so much fun in MMO's in years though. It's always the people you play with what makes it worthwhile, not the game.

Just a friendly tip, you can actually change the armoring on epic gear, even if it's invisible. Right click the armoring mod in your backpack with the modding window open and it will appear in a hidden slot. I swapped the armoring on my Trooper pvp set, lost all expertise and some endurance for the armoring 23 you can buy with the daily commendations which has more of my main stat. Now I got near Columi tier in my PvP gear, not as good but close enough.

You can't actually remove the armoring, just overwrite it. Probably an oversight when they changed the gear around in the last patches of the beta.

I did that stupid datacron today too (Hyperspace Cannon). Like every single step of that hidden thing is bugged somehow. Kind of hilarious.

Zafir

Yeah, we had the time of our life getting that +10 datacron. I posted earlier in the thread about using /stuck while doing it sent me off into space and I had to die to get back to the ship. Also in the end only myself and one other in the group actually managed to get it. The other two kept on dying or bouncing off when they tried to grapple to the door platform. We were thinking it was because of body side. Both of them were bigger built.

I feel like as a Sniper I've just accepted the fact that if I get jumped after a cutscene, there's a chance I'll die. But when that happens I usually sail through the fight on the second or third try. It annoyed me at first, but now I kind of appreciate working to get through boss battles. It is frustrating though.

The only time it ever makes me mad is when it's a long hike back to the battle. That definitely sucks.

Choc

Banned
deadset amazed at twitter convos on this game

'4 days 17 hours, level 50, class done. what now?'

SERIOUSLY

SERIOUSLY

you have spent ~110 hours in the game over 3 weeks and you are like what now? what other game (skyrim aside) could do that........

amazing

usea

SERIOUSLY

SERIOUSLY

you have spent ~110 hours in the game over 3 weeks and you are like what now? what other game (skyrim aside) could do that........

amazing
It's an MMO dude. Is this your first one?

edit: not trying to be snarky. But really.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The answer to the above is start an alt.

Finishing up Belsavis. The
Dread Masters
are pretty badass. i loved that the Darkside point gain music from KotOR 2 was used.

There was also a theme used.. it might have been in KotOR 1 but i definitely remember it in KotOR2.. its when the scene where you first see Darth Sion meditating in the empty capital ship filled with dead bodies.

edit:
i just checked my /played.. 7 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes. Taking my time.. plus ive played a lot of Huttball lol

squidyj

SERIOUSLY

SERIOUSLY

amazing

110 hours and your class is done? That doesn't sound right.

Patryn

Back on Coruscant and loving my JK alt. I know the brick wall is coming, because I'm already wishing I had a healer companion. But until that happens, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

SERIOUSLY

SERIOUSLY

amazing

Every other MMO ever made?

Vanilla WoW first-time leveling took people 10-15 days of played time and many people had it done within the first month.

Jrmint

Which is the best Marauder leveling spec right now?

Thanks for the invite JWong. I was on for about 4 hours, needed a break.

Every other MMO ever made?

Vanilla WoW first-time leveling took people 10-15 days of played time and many people had it done within the first month.

It takes longer than that to reach max in TOR as well, but people are just blazing through it, and so can people in WoW. Ton of my guildies have far more time in and are not to 50 yet. There hasn't been a MMO where players didn't reach max level within the first few days of ridiculous amounts of game time in. I will never understand the mentality or reason behind it, do you expect the game to keep you entertained for long period of time if you power level through it in a ridiculous fashion? Basically set yourself up to dissapointment

Top Bottom