• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Choc

Banned
Every other MMO ever made?

Vanilla WoW first-time leveling took people 10-15 days of played time and many people had it done within the first month.

i get that people can do it

bitching that there is nothing to do after you play a ridiculous amount of time in a short period, is stupid

eznark

Banned
I love this game, but BioWare, fuck you for "Deadly Auction"

Not even a fetch quest, just a talk to a-talk to b-talk to c-talk to a quest between three different planets. If there was a fast way to get back to your shuttle without a 30 minute cool down it'd be one thing but this......fuck whoever made that quest.

Where can an Empire player go to put together Matrix Shards? I looks in Kaas City, but didn't find the place. The tooltip on Matrix Shards says to go to the capitol planet.

I love this game, but BioWare, fuck you for "Deadly Auction"

Not even a fetch quest, just a talk to a-talk to b-talk to c-talk to a quest between three different planets. If there was a fast way to get back to your shuttle without a 30 minute cool down it'd be one thing but this......fuck whoever made that quest.

It's intentional. All MMOs do stuff like this to pad out the time to cap, but some ways (like this one) are more obnoxious and transparent than others. Its incredibly off-putting when you spend 10 minutes returning to your ship to talk to a guy only to be ordered back to where you came from, adding 20 minutes to 3 minutes of actual content. Ships that travel faster than light, yet people can't make a phone call?

That's an example of what I meant when I said earlier that the MMO part was fucking up the RPG part.

Skirn

Tiny Satele!

Heh, that never gets old.

I had that happen with my Trooper when I was introduced to Arric Jorgan, a military badass. Laughed at the thought of an army lieutenant that's the size of a thimble serving in the military. Must be awesome at infiltration assignments.

zlatko

Banned
Game is a lot of fun so far. I just hit level 10 and left my starting planet. Now I can opt to be a Guardian or Sentinel. ;O

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't even started playing this since I was busy over the holiday season. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep or return my collectors edition (and instead get the regular version).

Played a flash point with some random people the other night and this one asshole wanted us to spacebar past all the dialogue because "it takes to long and it's boring" ummmm...

usea

Played a flash point with some random people the other night and this one asshole wanted us to spacebar past all the dialogue because "it takes to long and it's boring" ummmm...
I spacebar over like 2/3 of the dialog in this game, but I would never impose that on a group. They can do what they want. I fault bioware that I have to sit there looking at a "waiting for other players..." text for 60 seconds.

SleazyC

I rarely run with pugs but after you've run an instance a couple of times (and seen all the branch points) it really gets boring to see the same old dialogue. Though this is why I run with guild members and we all just spacebar past things. I usually just sit at the 'Waiting for other players' screen if I do run in a pug.

CzarTim

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

I rarely run with pugs but after you've run an instance a couple of times (and seen all the branch points) it really gets boring to see the same old dialogue. Though this is why I run with guild members and we all just spacebar past things. I usually just sit at the 'Waiting for other players' screen if I do run in a pug.

I absolutely refuse to spacebar through dialogue. Different strokes.

Varna

Finally hit that point with my Sith Marauder were it does indeed feel like things are indeed stacked against me.

I hit level 31 and geared myself up with the best stuff I could find. Armor pieces that range from 70-80 Rating and sabers with 82 attack rating (on top of all the usual loads of str/end and I focus on critical rating over power). Overall I think I'm geared pretty damn well. I haven't died to often on Aldeeran, but the way I go from full health to low is pretty damn fast. In heavy enemy number encounters I can't really afford to mess up.

I have to say I'm really loving the class at this point though. I have two full skill bars and I use everything. Mostly into the Annihilation skill tree and actually using all kind of different skill combinations is definitely keeping the combat engaging. I never thought I would use the finisher moves but they have become a very vital part of surviving heavy encounters. With my fury building so quickly now self heals are a big deal. So is inflicting bleed on anything I touch. Love force choking enemies while they restore my health!

I so wish Force Camouflage did something other then reduce threat... I instinctively position myself behind enemies when using it. It should do something else for Marauders... higher damage, bleed, something!

It takes longer than that to reach max in TOR as well, but people are just blazing through it, and so can people in WoW. Ton of my guildies have far more time in and are not to 50 yet. There hasn't been a MMO where players didn't reach max level within the first few days of ridiculous amounts of game time in. I will never understand the mentality or reason behind it, do you expect the game to keep you entertained for long period of time if you power level through it in a ridiculous fashion? Basically set yourself up to dissapointment

A lot of people don't like leveling and find your position on it to be equally baffling. They play MMOs for the endgame (PvP, dungeons, raids, gearing and eventually alts).

All I'm saying is that even the most hardcore levelers in WoW still took much longer to max out than in SWTOR, and that was in a far less friendly leveling system for many classes. I'd say that even if you listen to all the text in the game that it wouldn't take more than 7-10 days. Took me about 3 to get to 39 on my Trooper skipping maybe half of the sidequest text (but reading the subtitles). There's no way SWTOR is a longer leveling experience than vanilla WoW.

TheYanger

I just bought and no not really. I'm 99% sure it's only a 10% speed upgrade, and the level 50 one is another 10% boost. Considering it costs like 225k total for the level 40 ones, not worth it.

approaching 40... is the 200k speeder 2 upgrade worth it?

Multi-quoting these to say, yes it's worth it. Whoever thinks it's not is silly. It's not much faster, but rank 4 is NOTICEABLY better at not getting dismounted, and at 50 the second upgrade you will rarely get knocked off at all. (I've taken over 10,000 damage before being knocked off before at 50)

A lot of people don't like leveling and find your position on it to be equally baffling. They play MMOs for the endgame (PvP, dungeons, raids, gearing and eventually alts).

All I'm saying is that even the most hardcore levelers in WoW still took much longer to max out than in SWTOR, and that was in a far less friendly leveling system for many classes. I'd say that even if you listen to all the text in the game that it wouldn't take more than 7-10 days. Took me about 3 to get to 39 on my Trooper skipping maybe half of the sidequest text (but reading the subtitles). There's no way SWTOR is a longer leveling experience than vanilla WoW.

I listened to probably half of the total dialogue time (I subtitle it like you said) and it only took like 4.5 days to hit 50. That lines up with others I know, and that's a fairly casual pace (not in terms of playtime, but in terms of how I spent my time in-game). WoW took me like 15 days or something on my first toon and I was a lot more focused on levelling in that.

gatti-man

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

Crap i work!

gatti-man

Multi-quoting these to say, yes it's worth it. Whoever thinks it's not is silly. It's not much faster, but rank 4 is NOTICEABLY better at not getting dismounted, and at 50 the second upgrade you will rarely get knocked off at all. (I've taken over 10,000 damage before being knocked off before at 50)

I listened to probably half of the total dialogue time (I subtitle it like you said) and it only took like 4.5 days to hit 50. That lines up with others I know, and that's a fairly casual pace (not in terms of playtime, but in terms of how I spent my time in-game). WoW took me like 15 days or something on my first toon and I was a lot more focused on levelling in that.

Honestly you rushed through content there is no way you didnt. Not that thats bad or anything but lets be real here. Ive PLAYED over 4.5 days in time and im not at cap. I listen to dialogue and play fp's and do quests. Ive been in since second day of early access.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hey guys, sorry for not wanting to read the whole thread, but what are the good PVP/Have fun solo classes?

Is the Powertech a good PvP class?

Derrick01

Banned

Well I'm glad you're happy with your 500k credit purchase or whatever it was. There's no way I'm spending that much for a 10% boost just to avoid getting blasted off. Gigantic waste of money.

TheYanger

Well I'm glad you're happy with your 500k credit purchase or whatever it was. There's no way I'm spending that much for a 10% boost just to avoid getting blasted off. Gigantic waste of money.

300,000, what else are you going to spend credits on? You can continue carefully avoiding groups of mobs, or getting hit and having to fight every single mob you encounter, those of us without time to waste will just ride through them and ignore them. At a higher speed.

Thanks for the pointless snark though - Dude asked a question, was given half an answer (thus, a wrong answer) so I felt like correcting it.

Mairu

There's nothing to spend credits on at level 50 and if you continue to play the game doing anything (flash points, quests, dailies, pvp, operations) it is pretty stupid to not buy it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Had the best TOR time ever in Death Wind Corridor. Me and my Guildie, and we're both lvl 45+, went to tatooine and started roaming the planet trying to kill any Imperials walking around. We discover a couple of outposts and kill people as they are coming out and then keep them from leaving. We got a good dozen kills this way. While camping in front of the imperial outpost in the dunes two lvl 40+ come and help out the noobies so it was a 4v2. Not only did we hold them off but we won the fight. Imperials are complaining more now so 2 lvl 50s joined in to distract us while the low levels run off and it ended up being 2v2 and we won. Lvl 50s are the ones complaining and they bring in 2 more lvl 50s and we get pushed back into our outpost in the dunes. We can't win a 4v2 with full lvl 50s so we go on general chat and have people come help us. We now have an ops team with 5 lvl 40+ against the lvl 50s and we drive them back to their outpost in the dunes while chasing them down. This went on for a good 30 minutes. I love PvP servers. Freaking awesome.

just reached tatooine. Am losing steam fast (and this place is pretty damn laggy). lvl 27. Been doing quests and heroics if people are about. Do the occasional FP. Any other good exp thing? Hearing pvp is great exp, and this daily mission thingy is good as well (don't go back to fleet often, so I wouldn't know).

sangreal

just reached tatooine. Am losing steam fast (and this place is pretty damn laggy). lvl 27. Been doing quests and heroics if people are about. Do the occasional FP. Any other good exp thing? Hearing pvp is great exp, and this daily mission thingy is good as well (don't go back to fleet often, so I wouldn't know).

If you're losing steam, just do your class quest on Tat and move on. You're already high enough level for Alderaan.

If you're losing steam, just do your class quest on Tat and move on. You're already high enough level for Alderaan.

But... but quests!!! Those VA are crying down inside ;(

And being a guardian, I'm getting paranoid, don't want to be underleveled or what not and get destroyed by nub mobs and asshole bosses.

Hey guys, sorry for not wanting to read the whole thread, but what are the good PVP/Have fun solo classes?

Is the Powertech a good PvP class?

Bounty Hunter is a lot of fun I find. I thought Powertech was the tanking tree? I don't have access to game info right now to check. I think I took Commando or whatever it's called for DPS (The middle tree).

Souplak

Does anyone know of any site that has the information on who drops what in the flashpoints?

Am I the only one that thought Taral V was really hard compared to the earlier flashpoints? I mostly play this with a friend. We havent had any real problem doing the flashpoints with only the two of us as long as we stayed ~3 - 4 levels above. But on Taral V the differance between the first and last boss was huge, the first we did without our companions but the last boss we died and actually had to think about what we did.
BUT the real difficulty was the "bonus" boss Lord Hestor. We died atleast 3 times and we barely finished him with compantions.

Thoraxes

Does anyone know of any site that has the information on who drops what in the flashpoints?

Am I the only one that thought Taral V was really hard compared to the earlier flashpoints? I mostly play this with a friend. We havent had any real problem doing the flashpoints with only the two of us as long as we stayed ~3 - 4 levels above. But on Taral V the differance between the first and last boss was huge, the first we did without our companions but the last boss we died and actually had to think about what we did.
BUT the real difficulty was the "bonus" boss Lord Hestor. We died atleast 3 times and we barely finished him with compantions.

From what i've read, a majority of it is basically playing the lockbox game. It doesn't seem to be like WoW with loot tables, and partially group dependent. Others will correct me if i'm wrong though.

Ken

I actually found Taral V really long, boring, and easy.

With Lord Hestor, just avoid the pull to AoE he always does after 3 Force Lightnings by hiding behind a wall or table.

TheYanger

Can't wait to hit max level then. What do you do in these dailies?

Same generic mmo quest shit as every other quest. The heroic ones are a bit of a hassle, but otherwise it's just killing mobs, clicking on objects. There are a handful on Ilum and a bunch on Belsavis, then the pvp/flashpoint oriented ones (Those are more important to do).

Souplak

I actually found Taral V really long, boring, and easy.

With Lord Hestor, just avoid the pull to AoE he always does after 3 Force Lightnings by hiding behind a wall or table.

Did you do it with 4 people? To bad me and my firiend like to play at our own pace and take our time, so we are stuck with our companions that just stand there and take all damage. Every time we team with real people they always just rush ahead and never leave me time to regain my force (I play as a healer my firend is a tank). And most people never focus on 1 target. One time we played with 2 dps and they would switch targets at random and then say its was my fault that we died.

Ken

Same generic mmo quest shit as every other quest. The heroic ones are a bit of a hassle, but otherwise it's just killing mobs, clicking on objects. There are a handful on Ilum and a bunch on Belsavis, then the pvp/flashpoint oriented ones (Those are more important to do).

Neat. I don't mind just killing mobs and clicking things for credits.

Souplak said:
Did you do it with 4 people? To bad me and my firiend like to play at our own pace and take our time, so we are stuck with our companions that just stand there and take all damage. Every time we team with real people they always just rush ahead and never leave me time to regain my force (I play as a healer my firend is a tank). And most people never focus on 1 target. One time we played with 2 dps and they would switch targets at random and then say its was my fault that we died.

Yeah I did it with 4. Companions tanking him would be pretty difficult. I'd just keep trying to find good party members to help. Are you on Kellers Void?

Souplak

Neat. I don't mind just killing mobs and clicking things for credits.

Yeah I did it with 4. Companions tanking him would be pretty difficult. I'd just keep trying to find good party members to help. Are you on Kellers Void?

No we are on The Arkanian Legacy. We chose a light population server hoping it would fill up after launch, well it didnt. And now we are both lvl 38 and have played for 144 hours so its to late to switch servers by now. I just hope its just bad luck and we managed to find all the "bad" players.

Top Bottom