• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Tacitus_

The one issue is that most heroics are tough later on and really require you to form a proper group that follows the mmo trifecta. Auto grouping would not give you the proper group builds. It worked in WAR because the areas basically created a large sized group with it's content meant to be done solo, where you need the group to take on boss level characters and it was really a competition to seewho can do best in that quest area. Heroics in TOR are set up more like traditional quests that simply require a proper group usually to do.

Yup, you can't put out enough damage with 4 dps if there's a boss mob at the end of the heroic quest. For example in the h4 daily on Belsavis, the boss hits for 2-3k and a dps would have a hp pool of 13-14k. He has about 160k hp.
You can however duo it if either you or your buddy is heal specced. That is, if you can pass the trash leading up to him.

frequency

On that note, I think it's ridiculous that Heroics need a real group with a healer and tank and stuff. I hate that they're basically just mini flashpoints.

Venfayth

On that note, I think it's ridiculous that Heroics need a real group with a healer and tank and stuff. I hate that they're basically just mini flashpoints.

Republic side on my server is dead, too, so I can almost never finish the heroic quests, and thus come up short in EXP for the next planet :/

No all of them, some can be done with just 2 and companions. They are just tougher quests and really very optional.

Republic side on my server is dead, too, so I can almost never finish the heroic quests, and thus come up short in EXP for the next planet :/

Every planet has an over abundance of quests, and along with all the bonus quests and bonus series if you do those, should keep you over leveled even without doing the heroics. Heroic gains really are not all that amazing, you get far more xp just from doing the tons of other random quests. Heroics are just another extra form of getting xp and help mix it up by having you actually group up. They are completely optional though

I'm feeling this on Nar Shadda. I'm approaching the end of the main story and I'm only going to be around level 23. I'll be spending quite a bit of time putting together groups.

I've never done one, unfortunately. I have an hour or two a night to play, I'm not going to waste it spamming LFG over and over.

Usually find it quicker to get into a group for heroics than the flashpoints. When you lfg for a heroic you are in the area where others are doing it. For flashpoints you have to go to fleet and hope others are looking to do that specific flashpoint you want.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm feeling this on Nar Shadda. I'm approaching the end of the main story and I'm only going to be around level 23. I'll be spending quite a bit of time putting together groups.

Warzones are a good way to make up the xp, you get quite a bit from them.

frequency

No all of them, some can be done with just 2 and companions. They are just tougher quests and really very optional.

Every planet has an over abundance of quests, and along with all the bonus quests and bonus series if you do those, should keep you over leveled even without doing the heroics. Heroic gains really are not all that amazing, you get far more xp just from doing the tons of other random quests. Heroics are just another extra form of getting xp and help mix it up by having you actually group up. They are completely optional though

But I like group content. I just don't like spamming LFG and waiting forever for a healer or tank or something.

I just don't like that the group content, which should be encouraged, is actually barred and annoying to get going (and so actually discouraged) - especially for DPS classes.

But I like group content. I just don't like spamming LFG and waiting forever for a healer or tank or something.

I just don't like that the group content, which should be encouraged, is actually barred and annoying to get going (and so actually discouraged) - especially for DPS classes.

Well thats how MMOs are for the most part nowadays. Though if your slightly over the level of the quest and it's a 2+ heroic, you can often do it with just another player and you both use your companions to fill whatever roles you need. If you are high enough many of the 4+ ones can be done with a companion filling out whatever role you need. Some heroics are tougher than others so it really depends. I do lot of he heroics with just my GF and our companions and it works out fine most of the time. Some of them can be tough though and we will try to get at least another real player which does help out, and if it's just impossible we are forced to find a 4th player.

Zafir

Yeah, I didn't bother doing the heroic quests. The most annoying thing is you can't even check what rewards they're going to give, meaning you don't know whether it's worth it.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I didn't bother doing the heroic quests. The most annoying thing is you can't even check what rewards they're going to give, meaning you don't know whether it's worth it.

"How many credits"
"Trust me, I will make it worth your while"

No asshole, tell me how many freaking credits! I'm a bounty hunter, I would want to know. Also, I'm apparently the best, why are you only paying me 100 credits to kill the craziest mofo in Nar Shaada??!

daoster

I‘m at hoth, and of all the previous heroics on previous planets...i‘ve only encountered 3 or 4 heroics that truly need the holy trifecta...everything else has been either easy enough for a hastily put together group, or a carefully planned group of 2 with your companions making up the rest of your team...

And yeah, sometimes its tough to get people for heroics, but i‘ll usually just play on until i see people spamming on general...then i drop everything and join them...i‘ll even ask them if they want to just do a handful of heroics at once just to get it out of the way...

So far, i think ive done every single heroic on planets except the bonus series ones.

"How many credits"

No asshole, tell me how many freaking credits! I'm a bounty hunter, I would want to know. Also, I'm apparently the best, why are you only paying me 100 credits to kill the craziest mofo in Nar Shaada??!

Yeah the whole bounty hunter thing kind of bothers me. I kind of wish Bounty Hunters/Smugglers could have been a neutral third faction so quests could have been done for both sides. Also I would like to see more weight being given to sticking to your contract/selling out for more credits instead of Light/Dark.

Yeah the whole bounty hunter thing kind of bothers me. I kind of wish Bounty Hunters/Smugglers could have been a neutral third faction so quests could have been done for both sides. Also I would like to see more weight being given to sticking to your contract/selling out for more credits instead of Light/Dark.

I would have liked their to have been a third faction, but the way the game was done it woud have been quite a big investment to make a whole other third faction segment of the game that didn't feel tacked on. The story elements give you the reasons why your faction specific at least.

I would have liked their to have been a third faction, but the way the game was done it woud have been quite a big investment to make a whole other third faction segment of the game that didn't feel tacked on. The story elements give you the reasons why your faction specific at least.

Oh I totally understand why we are stuck with them being on one side, just wishful thinking on my part.

eznark

Banned
They do ? Welp, i sure have not noticed the sentence popping up upon entering the ship, about the entering of a rest zone, oh well, crisis averted :p Carry on !

When you log out I think it also says "blah blah not a rest zone" but you do get rest XP bonus when you log back in.

Venfayth

Most of the time, yeah.

There've been two separate occasions, I think once after Hoth and once after a different planet I can't remember (maybe Quesh) where I couldn't find anymore quests, I'd exhausted all space missions, and yet I was short half a level or so to the next one. I always do all quests I find, as well as bonus missions.

I don't do space missions unless I'm missing EXP, and I don't want to force myself to pvp while a lowbie just to get some missing EXP.

Maybe I missed a few questlines or something, but my experience has been that I'm generally barely making the level cutoffs for planets. I've forced myself to kill more unnecessary mobs along the way, whereas I'd normally be skipping them in favor of completing the quests more quickly, and it's helping a little.

I'll be done soon anyway, but it's not pleasant having to find ways to earn exp. I think all the mid-late planets could use more quests. Too many is better than too few.

Patryn

"How many credits"

The nature of the voice acting means that telling you how much can't work. I'm guessing Bioware wants to have the ability to dynamically adjust the amount of rewards each quest gives you without having to bring in a new VA to rerecord lines to reflect the new amounts.

Unless you're asking for some screen to pop up when you receive a quest letting you know the rewards? I will admit that would be helpful.

Also: Why is it that Coruscant gives out commendations like they're candy? I swear, other planets it's like blood from a stone, but on Coruscant, I'm drowning in them.

eznark

Banned
The nature of the voice acting means that telling you how much can't work. I'm guessing Bioware wants to have the ability to dynamically adjust the amount of rewards each quest gives you without having to bring in a new VA to rerecord lines to reflect the new amounts.

Unless you're asking for some screen to pop up when you receive a quest letting you know the rewards? I will admit that would be helpful.

Also: Why is it that Coruscant gives out commendations like they're candy? I swear, other planets it's like blood from a stone, but on Coruscant, I'm drowning in them.

I don't get why they give you the option of asking how much/what reward related questions. Take those out, and it's no longer a problem. It's not like you get anything out of the responses.

Wallach

I don't get why they give you the option of asking how much/what reward related questions. Take those out, and it's no longer a problem. It's not like you get anything out of the responses.

Not sure about other classes, but for Smuggler there were plenty of times choosing certain dialogue would lead to getting more credits out of a quest. You would even get a little pop-up that looked like affection gain, but the icon was the credits symbol and it told you how many credits that choice was worth.

So the way to transfer credits between my Imperial and Republic characters is to make expensive auction on Nar Shadda, and buy the item with the other character? Does that work?

Patryn

So the way to transfer credits between my Imperial and Republic characters is to make expensive auction on Nar Shadda, and buy the item with the other character? Does that work?

Can you mail things to people in other factions? If you can, that would be how you transfer stuff. Otherwise, I think you're SOL.

Cystm

So does Jaesa Williams like anything or she just doesn't give a crap? She never seems to gain affection, and has hated anything I gave her

http://www.torhead.com/npc/77fEarz#comments

Gifts:
Luxury ++
Courting 0
Trophy ++
Republic Memor. 0
Underwolrds goods 0
Cultural artifacts 0
Military Gear +
Imperial Memor. +
Weapon +++
Technologu 0

TORhead is lacking comparatively speaking to it's sister-site, but it is still useful.

Edit: Beaten!

Nightz

So I think I found a class that I'm going to stick with now. The Trooper story is pretty interesting so far (just finished the first planet), and I kinda like playing with guns more than lightsabers. Looking forward to playing more tonight.

So I think I found a class that I'm going to stick with now. The Trooper story is pretty interesting so far (just finished the first planet), and I kinda like playing with guns more than lightsabers. Looking forward to playing more tonight.

I heard a lot of bad things about the Republic story, but having switched from Bounty Hunter to Trooper I have to say I am enjoying the Trooper story a decent amount. Also there is something very satisfying about using the larger trooper guns over dual pistols. I do feel weaker than my Bounty Hunter when fighting harder mobs, but that could be due to having a healing companion from the start with that class. I do feel stronger against packs as a Trooper.

frequency

I heard a lot of bad things about the Republic story, but having switched from Bounty Hunter to Trooper I have to say I am enjoying the Trooper story a decent amount. Also there is something very satisfying about using the larger trooper guns over dual pistols. I do feel weaker than my Bounty Hunter when fighting harder mobs, but that could be due to having a healing companion from the start with that class. I do feel stronger against packs as a Trooper.

While I wasn't a fan (I don't like military type stuff), the Trooper story I think is regarded as one of the better stories in the game. The Empire equivalent (Bounty Hunter) story is not. Not sure where you heard it was bad. I blame Imperial propoganda. All Imperials (especially the players) are jerks!

But anyway, I felt the same. They're mirror classes, but something about having a big assault cannon just felt more effective.

Also, who needs a healer companion when you get a cat-man!
He's probably why the Trooper feels stronger. He's a DPS companion.

eznark

Banned
Not sure about other classes, but for Smuggler there were plenty of times choosing certain dialogue would lead to getting more credits out of a quest. You would even get a little pop-up that looked like affection gain, but the icon was the credits symbol and it told you how many credits that choice was worth.

Yeah, I've had one or two. But those were never from the quest givers pre-quest. Usually they were from whatever person I was sent to kill or whatever.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

At this point I don't know why they don't just have the end game mods and the columni / rakata stuff be different drops and put the set bonuses onto the mods.

So if I have purple armor that I can partly mod, when they make the changes will it be retroactive to what I have already or do I got to get a new set of it? Love my armor set that I've put together and it's mostly purples that can only partially be modded. Would love to just keep it

Interfectum

I'm liking this armor modification system much better than WoW's "make any piece of armor look how you want" system. It feels a little bit more genuine to me.

Well looks like they finally acknowledged the high resolution texture thing and are supposed to be giving more comments possibly today according to Reid.

Top Bottom