• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was wondering if I could copy the game directory ?
My friend bought the game online but he doesn't have the necessary bandwight to download the whole thing before the end of is montly download cap (he would have to wait until the 24th wich is very unfortunate). I plan to put my game directory on a portable drive so he doesn't have to.
I know this worked with WoW. I was wondering if you had to install SWTOR proper or you could just drop the game directory and be good to go ?

Yes and no. You do have to do the install but once it starts patching just quit out and copy your folder over all the files in their folder. Once you restart the patcher it'll check the new files and be up to date. If I remember right when it starts patching it has a bunch of temporary files, you can delete those, I'm not sure if the game will delete them or not.

LowParry

I guess if I were a graphics whore, I'd be dropping this game really fast. Eh, I look past that and been having a whole lot of fun with the game. PvP and PvE - wise.

Do the social aspects (not just in terms of grouping but simple interaction with other players) improve in the game at all (naturally or having to go out of your way to create any interaction) or is still largely a single player game the higher in level you go and the farther you get from the starting planet?

Its the same as every other themepark style MMO, where you are constantly moving from zone to zone. Course there is also lot of player interaction if you want there to be if you roll on a pvp server.... but I think thats not what you want.

Macattk15

Man I have everything jacked up to High and the game runs at 110 FPS almost constantly for me.

Give me the option for high-res textures you sons of bitches!

Maybe I should mess around with the .ini files to make the game look a bit better. Anyone have any info on what needs to be changed?

I'm not overly irritated... but for people who drop $500-$1000 dollars on a graphic card setup and you can't even enjoy it... yeah. I'd be way more grumpy in that case.

Right now I'd be happy if my graphics wouldn't take a shit in the middle of battle at least three times during a play session. *sigh*

gatti-man

I guess if I were a graphics whore, I'd be dropping this game really fast. Eh, I look past that and been having a whole lot of fun with the game. PvP and PvE - wise.

I love the game and imo this doesnt fall under graphics whore. Parts of this game look really really bad. This would be a complaint on consoles too. It ruins immersion and takes away from many of the games best points. The foundry is an excellent example. The final boss is ruined by crap textures imo.

Just tried to log in and got a notice that patch 1.0.2d will be pushed tonight at 12A PST / 3A EST / 8A GMT.

No word yet of what is in the patch.

Varna

Explanation for lack of good texture is pure crap. Some of you guys laugh at people unsubscribing, but why would anything get resolved if people didn't let their money talk?

Does anyone else have this glitch when playing a Jedi Knight where during the cutscenes T7 is just a lump of black textures? It also happens with a few other background characters. I'm playing on a 2011 iMac is it the AMD graphics card in my pc or is it something that bioware needs to fix with a patch?

Patryn

Just tried to log in and got a notice that patch 1.0.2d will be pushed tonight at 12A PST / 3A EST / 8A GMT.

No word yet of what is in the patch.

This was the patch that they tried to roll out last night but it failed, right?

Does anyone else have this glitch when playing a Jedi Knight where during the cutscenes T7 is just a lump of black textures? It also happens with a few other background characters. I'm playing on a 2011 iMac is it the AMD graphics card in my pc or is it something that bioware needs to fix with a patch?

Only glitch I've seen is the common one: Tiny Satele.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Explanation for lack of good texture is pure crap. Some of you guys laugh at people unsubscribing, but why would anything get resolved if people didn't let their money talk?

Stuff is more likely to get done if people are subbed. If everyone cancelled because they wanted stuff done then there would be staff to do that.

You end up with a situation like AoC where so many people left that they can't afford to keep a big staff and any and all changes take weeks to get done.

jersoc

Stuff is more likely to get done if people are subbed. If everyone cancelled because they wanted stuff done then there would be staff to do that.

You end up with a situation like AoC where so many people left that they can't afford to keep a big staff and any and all changes take weeks to get done.

so? we don't owe them shit. it's their job to keep us wanting to play. not our job to prop them up on their failures in hopes and promises for return.

Ken

This was the patch that they tried to roll out last night but it failed, right?

Only glitch I've seen is the common one: Tiny Satele.
I had a funny cutscene glitch where my trooper kissed Elara, but was stuck repeating the moving in to kiss animation for the rest of the conversation.

CzarTim

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Its the same as every other themepark style MMO, where you are constantly moving from zone to zone. Course there is also lot of player interaction if you want there to be if you roll on a pvp server.... but I think thats not what you want.

It's the same general idea, but SWTOR takes it to an extreme. There is no MMORPG as single-player driven and linear as SWTOR.

Was running flashpoints with a friend last night and ran into a hilarious bug. He's playing an Assassin, and his Khem Val died and needed to be res'd - however, after being revived, his model stayed on the ground and scooted around the floor, still fighting and dealing damage but stuck in the "dead" position on the floor.

The best part was how the enemies all targeted him on the ground, so we ended up with tons of troopers shooting what appeared to be a dead Khem Val over and over.

LowParry

So has anyone tried that compatibility mode into Win XP SP3? Reading that it helps with game performance. I'd give it a try but I'm at work currently.

so? we don't owe them shit. it's their job to keep us wanting to play. not our job to prop them up on their failures in hopes and promises for return.

Both points are true.

Varna

This is why I'm still subbed and plan to as long as the game is enjoyable. This is a big deal though and it feels like it's just getting swept under the rug.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ugh, just read about the textures. How incredibly dumb. Pathetic and completely unbelievable excuse for not having high-res assets available.

This game has some awesome art direction, but it's pretty sad that the game looks barely better than KOTOR running on my PC, when that game is ~8 years old.

Blitzzz

So has anyone tried that compatibility mode into Win XP SP3? Reading that it helps with game performance. I'd give it a try but I'm at work currently.

Tried on my main rig and didn't see much difference (triple buffered so 60fps cap but slow downs were similar to before)

Tried on my slow laptop and it made my server list become empty so I couldn't play. Turning off shadows is still the biggest performance gain I've had.

YMMV

edit: just a question for everyone, do you guys have high textures on the character select screen or is that screen also crap? It's crap for me

Pennybags

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

So, um, what do we do when we get there?

StudioTan

Sure, but I was only commenting on his point that if you want changes you need to quit. If you don't like the game, then quit, if you like it but want changes then there are better way of expressing that than just quitting.

Personally I don't have any major problems with the game. The textures don't bother me. I'll welcome higher res textures when they come but I'm not going to quit because I don't have them.

StudioTan

This is why I'm still subbed and plan to as long as the game is enjoyable. This is a big deal though and it feels like it's just getting swept under the rug.

I agree they could have dealt with the situation better and that their explanation doesn't make total sense. It does seem like it will be addressed at some point, there is a lot of push back from the community to get it done.

usea

Welp, just unlocked the first kiss part of the romance. It was rather awkward.
Which class are you playing? My guy has hooked up with like 6 women at this point. I guess those don't really count as a 'romance', depending on your point of view.

Thoraxes

Sooo, if more people unsub, that means less populated worlds, and then that means that because of less stress in the game we'll finally be able to get hi-res textures? That way you know, the engine doesn't get hurt by it.

It's the same general idea, but SWTOR takes it to an extreme. There is no MMORPG as single-player driven and linear as SWTOR.

It's most single player friendly, but really is no different from any of the countless WoW clones I've played in the past 5 years. Instancing of zones is the only real negative there is but other than that, it's basically the same set up seen over and over again, even WoW pretty much went in the same direction with linear game zone design. RIFT was incredibly linear as well. The concept of social areas and social oriented MMO environments has not existed in a long time and only one that really still does it is EVE, which many players can't handle. Games with great social environments like UO and SWG are long gone in the world of theme park design.

MMO design nowadays is crap, its not about social environments outside of what you create out of it. I've made friends grouping online, play with my GF, local friends, and my guildies and we make it as social as any other game. Running around the game world and seeing ton of other players waiting to do the same quest is not a social environment. Games like SWG and EVE that promote player interaction and are basically player driven, those are social experiences

Tacitus_

Which class are you playing? My guy has hooked up with like 6 women at this point. I guess those don't really count as a 'romance', depending on your point of view.

Sith Assassin. I banged my cult leader (yes, I have my own cult that worships me, suck it), but that was just a one time (well two time) fling, although she kept pestering me through email. I'm romancing a companion. Just lying straight to her face while buying her affection with gifts. Supposedly you can't turn her to the dark side, but dammit if I won't try.

Choc

Banned
i'm over levelled

if i go to aldaraan straight away and skip tatooine class quests, does the game force me back to tatooine to do those quests?

or does it progress the story?

and by skipping tatoinne am i liekly to break teh game?

i am well over the class level for alderaan even.

Tacitus_

You need to complete the class quests to continue them on the next planet, but there's only a few per planet anyway. I skipped most of Tatoiine myself.

Choc

Banned
You need to complete the class quests to continue them on the next planet, but there's only a few per planet anyway. I skipped most of Tatoiine myself.

but i have a class quest on alderaan i can do?

im at the point where i can choose to do tat or ald

JWong

Banned
i'm over levelled

if i go to aldaraan straight away and skip tatooine class quests, does the game force me back to tatooine to do those quests?

or does it progress the story?

and by skipping tatoinne am i liekly to break teh game?

i am well over the class level for alderaan even.

No. You can just do your class quests for the planet and leave. Each planet has a class story quest, a planet story quest, and side quests. Can skip the latter 2.

If they're green, I still do them. I want to keep nearly overleveled throughout the game. Makes it so easy to get through planets.

Is there any way to uncovered the circled hexes on the Coruscant map? It looks like there should be a way for me to get to those places.

c6VKk.jpg

usea

Is there any way to uncovered the circled hexes on the Coruscant map? It looks like there should be a way for me to get to those places.
No. The 'dark' hexes don't get uncovered. Only the light ones. Once you get all the light ones, the dark ones disappear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's most single player friendly, but really is no different from any of the countless WoW clones I've played in the past 5 years. Instancing of zones is the only real negative there is but other than that, it's basically the same set up seen over and over again, even WoW pretty much went in the same direction with linear game zone design. RIFT was incredibly linear as well. The concept of social areas and social oriented MMO environments has not existed in a long time and only one that really still does it is EVE, which many players can't handle. Games with great social environments like UO and SWG are long gone in the world of theme park design.

Sure, but even in Rift you had some options as to where you went to level and do quests. In SWTOR, you have to follow the planets in a linear fashion which cannot be deviated from. This is one of the downsides of being a single player story-focused game.

There's really no good reason for this game to be an MMORPG.

Top Bottom