• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Einbroch

Banned
fixed.

Just don't expect too much. This ain't not Aion or FF14. Haven't really played WoW post cata, how does the visuals compare with this?

WoW is very odd when it comes to textures. Newer armor, models, mobs all have amazing texture density and quality. character skin/hair, some armor such as bracers and chestpieces, and older skinned mobs have pretty awful textures. You see these great textures on your character in terms of armor, but then when you look at your actual character's skin/hair/hands/legs/etc it's all blurry and bleh.

That image seems like a lot of work and bandwidth for something so old and obvious.

Sorry if that sounds rude, but I don't know how else to put it.

I admit I was floored the first time I opened my Sentinel's skill trees and saw BC combat rogue talents.

Edit: Thanks for making that a link, I really wasn't trying to be a dick.

zlatko

Banned
Did my first flash instance with my buddy tonight and it was a lot of fun, although lengthy. I'll have to be more prepared for more time to give when I attempt my next one.

I also dabbled in two instances of PvP and got two different types. Had an absolute blast with that.

To top the night off I got bad ass robes so I look more Jedieeee at last. Yay! :D

<3 this game so far.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i love how the two biggest complaints are 1) TOR copies Wow too much and 2) TOR isnt like Wow. Its not rare to hear both complaints from the same person.

Yeah the graphics are serviceable but it will be nice to get better textures.
But yeah I am not running on cutting edge PC tech and even putting shadows on high give me huge performance problems indoors usually.

I really need to make time to play more over the weekend.

Einbroch

Banned

This just made me laugh, because the first night my brother and I played we were like LOL SORCERER? YOU MEAN ELEMENTAL SHAMAN?

It's insane how much they copied from a skill/talent perspective. Honestly, look at the Elemental Shaman tree [LINK] and then look at the Sith Sorcerer Lightning tree [LINK].

They're like the same thing. Did they even try? It's a shame, because they didn't have to stoop to literally copying a classes' mechanics.

frequency

i love how the two biggest complaints are 1) TOR copies Wow too much and 2) TOR isnt like Wow. Its not rare to hear both complaints from the same person.

I think some things should be more WoW-like. But other things shouldn't.
I don't think it's self contradictory to want both.

Though personally I don't feel SWTOR is very WoW-like at all beyond the very basic framework of quests and skill trees and stuff like that. Sure those pictures above show a lot more similarities, but it feels different to me. I don't know.

Choc

Banned
Did my first flash instance with my buddy tonight and it was a lot of fun, although lengthy. I'll have to be more prepared for more time to give when I attempt my next one.

I also dabbled in two instances of PvP and got two different types. Had an absolute blast with that.

To top the night off I got bad ass robes so I look more Jedieeee at last. Yay! :D

<3 this game so far.

if that was esseles tahts a very short FP

LowParry

I think the biggest complaint right now is the high res textures. People going all out with "I bought a game based on your advertisement and it looks nothing like what I purchase. Give me my money back."

Soroc

I think Biowares responses to some of the most vocal issues is very promising. I like how they have addressed some of these issues so far. Hopefully implementation of the fixes are handled quickly and not breaking anything else :)

Oh and hopefully they quickly fix my companions from turning their aoe back on everytime I phase/zone or mount up!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The Imperial planet quests for Voss are pretty amusing. Darth Serevin in specific. He goes from sweet to sour as soon as they are out of earshot lol

frequency

So for the last 2 days, exiting SWTOR freezes my computer and I have to press the button to reboot it. First time I thought it was just computers being computers, but it happened again. I quit the game and go downstairs to do something. When I come back my computer is frozen.

Is this happening to anyone else?

It was fine until yesterday.

gatti-man

So for the last 2 days, exiting SWTOR freezes my computer and I have to press the button to reboot it. First time I thought it was just computers being computers, but it happened again. I quit the game and go downstairs to do something. When I come back my computer is frozen.

Is this happening to anyone else?

It was fine until yesterday.

Yup happens to me every once in a while ever since the last patch.

Einbroch

Banned
Did you not look at the image? All of those abilities have existed way before WoW has.

While you may be correct in that statement, it's how similar they function, down to the visual effect. Smash looks almost identical to Thunderclap and functions the same. SUNDERing Assault and SUNDER Armor do the same thing. Intimidating in both names, Intercede/Intervene, the fact that all abilities are essentially mirrored down to "damage percentages"...you have to see it.

Name another Warrior class that has SO many of the same abilities, down to the names and visual effects. It's kinda insane. EverQuest? No. Aion? Nope. Rift? Eh, kinda more of a Prot Paladin/Warrior mix.

Moaradin

While you may be correct in that statement, it's how similar they function, down to the visual effect. Smash looks almost identical to Thunderclap and functions the same. SUNDERing Assault and SUNDER Armor do the same thing. Intimidating in both names, Intercede/Intervene, the fact that all abilities are essentially mirrored...you have to see it.

Name another Warrior class that has SO many of the same abilities, down to the names and visual effects. It's kinda insane.

Almost every class as a smash type ability other than IA/Smuggler, and they all have a different animation. Sith Warrior probably resembles the WoW warrior one the most.

RIFT abilities are much more in common with WoW than SWTOR is. SWTOR brings a lot of new abilities with most of the classes. Hell, A lot of the big Jedi/Sith abilities were in the original KOTOR games.

Choc

Banned
While you may be correct in that statement, it's how similar they function, down to the visual effect. Smash looks almost identical to Thunderclap and functions the same. SUNDERing Assault and SUNDER Armor do the same thing. Intimidating in both names, Intercede/Intervene, the fact that all abilities are essentially mirrored down to "damage percentages"...you have to see it.

Name another Warrior class that has SO many of the same abilities, down to the names and visual effects. It's kinda insane. EverQuest? No. Aion? Nope. Rift? Eh, kinda more of a Prot Paladin/Warrior mix.

perhaps Biowares intention was to make it like wow so wow people could play it easily

make something harder than it needs to be? people run back to wow. We've seen it time and time again

Einbroch

Banned
Almost every class as a smash type ability other than IA/Smuggler, and they all have a different animation. Sith Warrior probably resembles the WoW warrior one the most.

RIFT abilities are much more in common with WoW than SWTOR is. SWTOR brings a lot of new abilities with most of the classes. Hell, A lot of the big Jedi/Sith abilities were in the original KOTOR games.

Lightning Sith Sorcerer is the same class as the Elemental Shaman minus totems. Chance for dual cast, focus on haste, a root (only after talents) shock/burst spell, Chain Lightning, talent to remove the cooldown on a nuke and making it instant cast...

I don't have enough experience with the other classes to say anything else, so I won't, but I shook my head when I played the Sith Juggernaut and Sith Sorcerer. It's just too bad that they felt like they had to copy these classes so closely.

Also, while I thought that RIFT was pretty shitty, it had more classes than WoW, so copying some abilities kinda gets a pass.

KaYotiX

Banned
Love how people bitch if something is too much like WoW but if its different they say it should take some hints from WoW.....

Oh internet!!

Moaradin

Each class has 2 Advanced Classes. Sorc isn't the only class for Inquisitor, and each advanced class has a lot of variety in itself. I know Assassins can play like a tank and I think they have a melee based dot spec.

Smugglers and Imperial Agents are pretty unique. Troopers/Bounty Hunters look pretty unique as well.

Einbroch

Banned
Love how people bitch if something is too much like WoW but if its different they say it should take some hints from WoW.....

Oh internet!!

I see these posts all the time, yet they contribute nothing. Yes. They should take some things from WoW because it does some things right. But it should be a different game. Good ideas should be implemented in future games. Bad ones should be scrapped.

Is SWTOR a different game? To some, yes. And that's great. I'm just making a point.

Each class has 2 Advanced Classes. Sorc isn't the only class for Inquisitor, and each advanced class has a lot of variety in itself. I know Assassins can play like a tank and I think they have a melee based dot spec.

Smugglers and Imperial Agents are pretty unique. Troopers/Bounty Hunters look pretty unique as well.
I was just about to say that other classes are pretty unique. Sniper is pretty unique despite it's broken cover system. I was just pointing out two that were pretty dang similar to their WoW counterparts.

frequency

Yup happens to me every once in a while ever since the last patch.

Last patch makes sense since I just noticed it yesterday. I've only played twice since and it has frozen my computer twice. I assume you don't have a fix for it either? I'm not very good with computers so I don't even know where to start.

About the classes, I actually find SWTOR has some of the most unique classes in the genre in a very long time. Many of the ACs are unlike any other class in any other modern MMO. It's good, but it's also been a source of a lot of frustration for me because the class I pick isn't what I expected it to be... but I find out like 20 levels deep.

Xiaoki

Oh internet!!

The "hints" people want TOR to take from WoW are things like macros, UI mods, combat logs and smooth gameplay not copy pasting abilities.

But instead of improving the game we have to wait for BioWare to add "new features" that were in the beta then removed.

Choc

Banned
The "hints" people want TOR to take from WoW are things like macros, UI mods, combat logs and smooth gameplay not copy pasting abilities.

But instead of improving the game we have to wait for BioWare to add "new features" that were in the beta then removed.

such as?

TheYanger

I guess I'm probably done with this game for good now. The tuning is just the complete antithesis of fun on Voss. Even appropriately geared, I am running into quests that I simply cannot win. Guys will spawn in on me and there is just nothing I can do as a Sniper to win the fight. I'm not bad at MMOs, and I've got everything hotkeyed, but the game is just too frustrating, unresponsive, and obtuse in its presentation of combat information.

Not TRYING to be offensive, but just saying "I'm not bad at MMOs" when you're proving unable to beat quests that plenty of other snipers have beaten, tells me you probably aren't very good either.

Are you blind?
"warriors have existed" is a stupid argument, the wow suite of warrior abilities, including their resource system, have basically been copied wholesale. I don't see it as a BAD thing, but it's a bit silly to act like the wow warrior is copied from some other game, I'd LOVE to see it if it has been.

I'm glad that you 'love it', but the two aren't contradictory. It's perfectly rational to say "TOR copies WoW too much, and yet it copies it poorly".

Did you not look at the image? All of those abilities have existed way before WoW has.
In one class, just like that, with the same resource mechanic? Which game and which class, I'm interested to know.

What I find amusing though is that some of the abilities have since changed in WoW to be a little less similar, but TOR still has the old versions (Sundering stacks to 5, old version of vigilance).

KaYotiX

Banned
I'm glad that you 'love it', but the two aren't contradictory. It's perfectly rational to say "TOR copies WoW too much, and yet it copies it poorly".

Well in 6 years we can make a fair comparison :p

I really do hope the game has legs down the road though, im loving it alot and almost to 50. I really want to see what they have planned for us in the next 6-7 months or earlier.

In one class, just like that, with the same resource mechanic? Which game and which class, I'm interested to know.

What I find amusing though is that some of the abilities have since changed in WoW to be a little less similar, but TOR still has the old versions (Sundering stacks to 5, old version of vigilance).

Heh, I seriously hope you're not implying the rage/focus resource mechanic actually originated in WoW. Building resources instead of starting off with a pool (like mana) is not a concept Wow invented.

TheYanger

Heh, I seriously hope you're not implying the rage/focus resource mechanic actually originated in WoW. Building resources instead of starting off with a pool (like mana) is not a concept Wow invented.

Of course not, but it's a little tiring for someone to try and deny ALL of the similarities. It's not that any one ability is amazingly damning, it's that literally every aspect of the class is basically exactly the same.

Of course not, but it's a little tiring for someone to try and deny ALL of the similarities. It's not that any one ability is amazingly damning, it's that literally every aspect of the class is basically exactly the same.

He literally asked for another class with the same role/type (warrior) with the rage/focus mechanic. There were many warrior type classes with resource build up mechanics before the Wow warrior.

TheYanger

He literally asked for another class with the same role/type (warrior) with the rage/focus mechanic. There are so many classes like that in MMOs before Wow it boggles my mind he actually thinks such a class didn't exist pre-Wow.

your reading comprehension is awful. He said a class with all of those abilities and that resource mechanic. Also, I'd LOVE to know which MMOs were using most wow mechanics (besides mana) prior to it. I think a lot of you guys are total MMO virgins prior to 2005 or something. DAoC was sort of a mix between mana/energy (it refilled a lot more slowly than energy, but faster than mana) but things like runes and rage and combo points are pretty different.

your reading comprehension is awful. He said a class with all of those abilities and that resource mechanic. Also, I'd LOVE to know which MMOs were using most wow mechanics (besides mana) prior to it. I think a lot of you guys are total MMO virgins prior to 2005 or something. DAoC was sort of a mix between mana/energy (it refilled a lot more slowly than energy, but faster than mana) but things like runes and rage and combo points are pretty different.

Given that I started with Anarchy Online don't give me your stupid and unwarranted condescending tone like you actually know what my MMO history was. The grand daddy of the fantasy formula in a refined form like we know today was EQ, not DAoC. The fact that you listed it as your main example seriously boggles my mind. A ton of those abilities appeared in similar forms in warrior type classes pre-2005.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He literally asked for another class with the same role/type (warrior) with the rage/focus mechanic. There were many warrior type classes with resource build up mechanics before the Wow warrior.

Care to name a few? I'm genuinely interested.

hamchan

So people weren't kidding when they said there are a shitton of abilities. I'm a lvl 40 Sith Juggernaut and I've put my most regularly used abilities on 1-6, Q,E,R,T,F,Z,X, Shift+1-6 and it's still not enough, that's mental. I'm putting all my extra long cooldowns on the left quickbar too. I might need to add a shift variation for the letter hotkeys now.

Einbroch

Banned
Given that I started with Anarchy Online don't give me your stupid and unwarranted condescending tone like you actually know what my MMO history was. The grand daddy of the fantasy formula in a refined form like we know today was EQ, not DAoC. The fact that you listed it as your main example seriously boggles my mind. A ton of those abilities appeared in similar forms in warrior type classes pre-2005.

Here's the issue: a WoW warrior has, let's say, 20 abilities that are unique to the class, which is about accurate I believe, especially now in the trimmed down cataclysm model. When a Sith Warrior has 60% of the exact same abilities with almost the exact same effects as a WoW warrior, that it essentially a mirrored class. Throw in the fact that this class exclusively uses "rage", something no other class uses, and it becomes even more clear.

I don't mind copying abilities. Taunt? Obviously okay. Some kind of frontal AoE attack? Of course. But when you use a class from another MMO as more than a template it just reeks of laziness and playing it safe.

Care to name a few? I'm genuinely interested.

IIRC AO soldier had a somewhat similar system, EQ and AC had similar systems though it was a mix of build up and magic (played these only a little), favoring magic more.

Here's the issue: a WoW warrior has, let's say, 20 abilities that are unique to the class, which is about accurate I believe, especially now in the trimmed down cataclysm model. When a Sith Warrior has 60% of the exact same abilities with almost the exact same effects as a WoW warrior, that it essentially a mirrored class. Throw in the fact that this class exclusively uses "rage", something no other class uses, and it becomes even more clear.

I don't mind copying abilities. Taunt? Obviously okay. Some kind of frontal AoE attack? Of course. But when you use a class from another MMO as more than a template it just reeks of laziness and playing it safe.

I'm certainly not saying it doesn't have a somewhat lazy design, it does. I'm just tired of people thinking these things that were copied originated in wow. Many of the abilities are pretty standard fair as you noted and aren't exclusive to a single game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

DnD

CzarTim

Stolen from Reddit, but how to win at Huttball:

0y9JF.jpg

I like the huge number of abilities at my disposal on my Mercenary. Aside from fitting the flavor (A BH should be expected to have loads of tricks), it helps to keep roations a lot more dynamic.

While I've figured out a sustained DPS rotation that's useful against high HP bosses, it's nice to be able to do other things when you can, like Jet Boost to knock back melee enemies or hit them with a flamthrower and follow-up with a rocket punch to the face.

I hope I'll be able to continue using an array of abilities in operations/flashpoints.

I feel for snipers who have trouble when getting jumped by enemies after a conversation. I got stuck for a bit on my BH with a similar problem, two gold enemies with some other basic mobs. They kept hitting me with interupts and even Mako couldn't heal through their DPS. Took me three tries to kill them. Pretty sure one of them was bugged and kept resetting, and thus getting an extra interupt to toss at me every few seconds.

Has anyone posted full 1.1/2 patch notes here? I'm at work and all the sites that have them are blocked and this thread moves pretty fast.

Top Bottom