• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Meier

It really is crazy how many abilities I have at my disposal that I need hotkeyed (I could probably get rid of Power Shot since I just use Tracer Missile due to the Armor Reduction and added Rail Shot damage). My third page is now on the left quickbar but I took this yesterday before I added that to the UI.

wk4WN.jpg

Curious, to those who are in the "ToR totally copied WoW with Sith warriors" camp, have any of you played a Sith warrior? Genuine question, not snarky and sarcastic btw.

Alot of the abilities pointed out in there are tank exclusive(some you only get in the immortal tree), but I see quite a few saying sith warriors as a whole are derivative of wow warriors. Can't speak for Marauders, but I'm up to 41 on my DPS Juggernaut alt and I've never felt like I'm just a arms/fury warrior clone, unless I want to break it down and go "OMG WE BOTH MELEE THE MOB AND WE'RE USING RAGE!"

On the flip side, I started out tanking(swapped at 24), and Immortal was pretty much a direct clone of my Prot Warrior in WoW. There's a few changes here and there sure, but I was pretty much right at home.

TheYanger

It really is crazy how many abilities I have at my disposal that I need hotkeyed (I could probably get rid of Power Shot since I just use Tracer Missile due to the Armor Reduction and added Rail Shot damage). My third page is now on the left quickbar but I took this yesterday before I added that to the UI.

wk4WN.jpg

Yeah I just had to double check, I have 44 seperate things hotkeyed. Sure, some probably don't need HOTKEYS and I click them, but they have to go somewhere for me to click too. And it's only like, 6 things of those 44.

My trooper at 50:
Dat skill bloat.

I like the huge number of abilities at my disposal on my Mercenary. Aside from fitting the flavor (A BH should be expected to have loads of tricks), it helps to keep roations a lot more dynamic.

While I've figured out a sustained DPS rotation that's useful against high HP bosses, it's nice to be able to do other things when you can, like Jet Boost to knock back melee enemies or hit them with a flamthrower and follow-up with a rocket punch to the face.

I hope I'll be able to continue using an array of abilities in operations/flashpoints.

I feel for snipers who have trouble when getting jumped by enemies after a conversation. I got stuck for a bit on my BH with a similar problem, two gold enemies with some other basic mobs. They kept hitting me with interupts and even Mako couldn't heal through their DPS. Took me three tries to kill them. Pretty sure one of them was bugged and kept resetting, and thus getting an extra interupt to toss at me every few seconds.

Has anyone posted full 1.1/2 patch notes here? I'm at work and all the sites that have them are blocked and this thread moves pretty fast.

We're not even close to 1.1 / 1.2 yet. Tonight is 1.0.2d, with no date on when the next patch is coming. Could be anything in the patch

Rokam

Yeah I just had to double check, I have 44 seperate things hotkeyed. Sure, some probably don't need HOTKEYS and I click them, but they have to go somewhere for me to click too. And it's only like, 6 things of those 44.

My trooper at 50:

Dat skill bloat.

Ouch the commando rotation only involves 5 buttons (not counting cooldowns). Glad I went the dps route.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, finished the JK storyline tonight. WAs fun and I dug it. That being said, this class (along with Sith Warrior I assume) needs some real work in all areas. From companions, to damage in pve and pvp, to the amount of threat generated in pve, talent tree tweaks, skill stuttering, and more.

I will stick with it, doing dailies, improving my gear, trudging through pvp best I can, but I won't be that passionate about it. In the meantime, I'm going to start up a Smuggler and level him up through PVP. =) If I want to make a legit tank, I'll level a Vanguard or Shadow. =/

Edit: You know, this may be why tanking doesn't feel right, right now.

I know WoW Server Maintenance times were somewhat similar, but really grates on me how heavily the TOR ones eat into the day for European based players. 2pm GMT? Saying that WoW ones were generally finished and done by 10am GMT.

They really need to give Europe and US a different maintenance time, this shit is getting crazy .

Impossible. Suppose they're fixing a 0 day exploit that allows duping or something. As soon as the patch goes live in one region but not in another region, malicious users could reverse engineer the patch and determine what it does, exposing the fact that there is still a vulnerability in versions of the game in other regions.

Welcome to the first 3 months of an MMO. Lots of shit gets fixed frequently.

Choc

Banned
So, finished the JK storyline tonight. WAs fun and I dug it. That being said, this class (along with Sith Warrior I assume) needs some real work in all areas. From companions, to damage in pve and pvp, to the amount of threat generated in pve, talent tree tweaks, skill stuttering, and more.

I will stick with it, doing dailies, improving my gear, trudging through pvp best I can, but I won't be that passionate about it. In the meantime, I'm going to start up a Smuggler and level him up through PVP. =) If I want to make a legit tank, I'll level a Vanguard or Shadow. =/

Edit: You know, this may be why tanking doesn't feel right, right now.

can i possibly suggest imperial agent instead, storyline 1000x awesome AND empire is a different faction to try

Impossible. Suppose they're fixing a 0 day exploit that allows duping or something. As soon as the patch goes live in one region but not in another region, malicious users could reverse engineer the patch and determine what it does, exposing the fact that there is still a vulnerability in versions of the game in other regions.

Welcome to the first 3 months of an MMO. Lots of shit gets fixed frequently.

Dude, WoW had Tuesday for US/Wednesday for EU maintenance since forever. Different times as well. What you wrote doesn't make sense - reverse-engineer? First you would need to dump a sandboxed version of the game, and it took WoW what? 4-5 years before they managed that?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i was on Voss and just about dinged 49 before the servers went down. The planet in terms of scenery is pretty unremarkable. However, im really digging the Voss and their culture. The whole thing feels more Star Trek than Star Wars.. its nice to have some unknown culture exploration going on.

The IA storyline here on Voss has been a slow burn. Theres been a lot of mysteries building up (one of them ive been pretty sure about since Chapter 1) and as much as im trying to keep my expectations down i have faith that the payoff will be extremely satisfying.

Other than that.. sad that maintenance is tonight :(

Dude, WoW had Tuesday for US/Wednesday for EU maintenance since forever. Different times as well. What you wrote doesn't make sense - reverse-engineer? First you would need to dump a sandboxed version of the game, and it took WoW what? 4-5 years before they managed that?

It takes about 10 minutes for someone with the right tools and experience to diff 2 versions of the game client and find out exactly what code changed and how.

correct

thats how fan sites data mine the patches.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Datamining is actually even easier because usually all the assets are just packaged up in some archive, the format of which never changes.

REing code changes is actually a highly specialized skill, but with a game of this size there are people who do it.

I GUARANTEE you that the organized gold farming operations are doing it, a large portion of their in game income actually comes from exploits that they discover themselves.

TheYanger

So i was on Voss and just about dinged 49 before the servers went down. The planet in terms of scenery is pretty unremarkable. However, im really digging the Voss and their culture. The whole thing feels more Star Trek than Star Wars.. its nice to have some unknown culture exploration going on.

The IA storyline here on Voss has been a slow burn. Theres been a lot of mysteries building up (one of them ive been pretty sure about since Chapter 1) and as much as im trying to keep my expectations down i have faith that the payoff will be extremely satisfying.

Other than that.. sad that maintenance is tonight :(

I think Voss had the most interesting 'planetary' storyline of all the planets. Loved it.

It takes about 10 minutes for someone with the right tools and experience to diff 2 versions of the game client and find out exactly what code changed and how.

correct

thats how fan sites data mine the patches.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

So? Then they've been doing this forever in WoW, big deal. Stop defending quite obvious "we are all based in US, lolz, don't care about other continent" stance with some "mysterious" reverse-engineering stuff. SWTOR maintenance happens as it is because EA/Bioware is fucking lazy/don't have European data center.

Trouble

Banned
So? Then they've been doing this forever in WoW, big deal. Stop defending quite obvious "we are all based in US, lolz, don't care about other continent" stance with some "mysterious" reverse-engineering stuff. SWTOR maintenance happens as it is because EA/Bioware is fucking lazy/don't have European data center.

European servers are hosted in Ireland, like most of Europe's websites.

The reason they have to do them all at the same time is that client patches go along with server patches and they need to be updated at the same time. This is a direct effect of them not region locking the game.

This is how I feel right now (and basically since the game started beta).

TheYanger

The reveal at the end of the storyline for Imperium regarding the two indigenous species was quite nice. I wonder what the Republic got...

Same thing :) Works out well since that's one fo the only planets where both sides are trying to accomplish the same thing with the same neutral race.

Has anyone had a crew skill from one character show up on another character for a while? Today I had archeology on my BH who doesn't actually have archeology. I couldn't send my characters on archeology missions, but I could see mineral nodes on my map. My skill wasn't high enough to mine them on Belsavis though. I guess this is just a bug. It would be cool if you could use some of your alts crew skills on your other characters as some kind of Legacy system perk.

Tacitus_

There is a reveal on that side as well, I can only assume it is the same one.

I really doubt it's the same thing since I uncovered some ancient evil called Sel-Makor and
jedi fucking up caused the one species Voss had before to split to Voss and Gormak
. Needless to say, the Voss weren't that happy with the Republic after I told everything I learned to their Three.

TheYanger

I really doubt it's the same thing since I uncovered some ancient evil called Sel-Makor and
jedi fucking up caused the one species Voss had before to split to Voss and Gormak
. Needless to say, the Voss weren't that happy with the Republic after I told everything I learned to their Three.

Well, of course the spin is different. But the basic truth behind it is the same
About the Voss being descended from the same race as the gormak
The republic side OBVIOUSLY has you as the one showing them the truth so they'll like you better etc.

Choc

Banned

4 hours

Rescheduled Maintenance

Date: Thursday, January 12th, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours.

Tacitus_

Well, of course the spin is different. But the basic truth behind it is the same
About the Voss being descended from the same race as the gormak
The republic side OBVIOUSLY has you as the one showing them the truth so they'll like you better etc.

What did the Avatar of Sel-Makor reveal as the reason
for the split? There also was an earlier quest that had the Empire destroy ancient jedi statues, so the jedi definitely have been on the planet before...

4 hours

Rescheduled Maintenance

Date: Thursday, January 12th, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours.

When I checked this morning it said 2pm GMT. My apologies.

TheYanger

What did the Avatar of Sel-Makor reveal as the reason
for the split? There also was an earlier quest that had the Empire destroy ancient jedi statues, so the jedi definitely have been on the planet before...

I don't actually remember, but it was probably the exact opposite. All of those 'ruin' temple area type places are double sided with a republic instance and a sith one. /shrug. I mean all of these quests are just a different spin on the same things for the two sides.

Tacitus_

I don't actually remember, but it was probably the exact opposite. All of those 'ruin' temple area type places are double sided with a republic instance and a sith one. /shrug. I mean all of these quests are just a different spin on the same things for the two sides.

The thing is, the statues weren't in an instance. And the Empire had never been on the planet before that.
So jedi trying to teach natives to use force, fucking up and trying to sweep it under a rug isn't that farfetched

TheYanger

The thing is, the statues weren't in an instance. And the Empire had never been on the planet before that.
So jedi trying to teach natives to use force, fucking up and trying to sweep it under a rug isn't that farfetched

Oh y'know what, you saying that actually sort of reminded me.
Sounds like wht happened was you saw the second part of the story and the 'empire' plot as you using it against the republic. I'm still fuzzy on this, but as I recall it was a divide because some of the Voss were force attuned and some were not and it led to a divide among themselves, IE: they split on their own, and THEN ancient jedis tried to help them learn to control the force, and then left them in peace or some shit. But the force sensitive/not force sensitive aspect being what led them to divide in the first place was definitely the reasoning, not jedi 'trying to teach them' to use the force. Given how black and white the star wars universe tends to be, it seems likely that that's how it happened too.

Top Bottom