• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

KaYotiX

Banned
So, finished the JK storyline tonight. WAs fun and I dug it. That being said, this class (along with Sith Warrior I assume) needs some real work in all areas. From companions, to damage in pve and pvp, to the amount of threat generated in pve, talent tree tweaks, skill stuttering, and more.

I will stick with it, doing dailies, improving my gear, trudging through pvp best I can, but I won't be that passionate about it. In the meantime, I'm going to start up a Smuggler and level him up through PVP. =) If I want to make a legit tank, I'll level a Vanguard or Shadow. =/

Edit: You know, this may be why tanking doesn't feel right, right now.

Yeah im a 47 jugg and i feel like i take WAY to much dmg in PvP and when i tank PvE and i have pretty much the best items i can have at my level (i love the AH lol). It needs a fix imo and hopefully kinda soon. I love tanking but if im squishy as fuck in PvP ill roll something else to PvP with (i dont want to do)

Darklord

Banned
Do all companions have a storyline to them? I think all of mine are bugged because so far I've spoken to Mako once and the devaronian once in the last 60 hours or so and that's it.

Tacitus_

Oh y'know what, you saying that actually sort of reminded me.
Sounds like wht happened was you saw the second part of the story and the 'empire' plot as you using it against the republic. I'm still fuzzy on this, but as I recall it was a divide because some of the Voss were force attuned and some were not and it led to a divide among themselves, IE: they split on their own, and THEN ancient jedis tried to help them learn to control the force, and then left them in peace or some shit. But the force sensitive/not force sensitive aspect being what led them to divide in the first place was definitely the reasoning, not jedi 'trying to teach them' to use the force. Given how black and white the star wars universe tends to be, it seems likely that that's how it happened too.

I'm not sure if the Avatar specifically mentioned the jedi teaching the Voss, I just put it up as an example of good intentions going wrong. But the jedi were definitely dicking around on Voss and somehow (directly or indirectly) caused the split and the corrupted area the last quests take place in.

TheYanger

I'm not sure if the Avatar specifically mentioned the jedi teaching the Voss, I just put it up as an example of good intentions going wrong. But the jedi were definitely dicking around on Voss and somehow (directly or indirectly) caused the split and the corrupted area the last quests take place in.

That's what I'm saying though, according to republic quest dogma, the split occured prior to that and the jedi helped the voss cope. The corruption in that area was caused by a khem vhal type dude who absorbed the souls of everyone that entered or some shit, definitely remember that quest

TheYanger

Do all companions have a storyline to them? I think all of mine are bugged because so far I've spoken to Mako once and the devaronian once in the last 60 hours or so and that's it.

They've all got lots of dialogue lines at least, nothing fancy mostly though. It's dependent upon your affection and your place in your class story (sometimes you can get high affection and once you beat a certain part of your class quest, they suddenly have 5 dialogues in a row that open up). A lot are bugged though and just 'stop' long before they should for some people.

Tacitus_

I would not be in the least bit surprised if the two questlines are directly contradictory. It'd be a bit lame of a cop out, but who knows.

Oh me neither. I just want to re-read the dialogue and know whether it's a grey situation or just PR spin on both sides. A lot of the Empire planetary stories have the Republic pulling some shady shit and getting embarassed by it after I broadcast the evidence to the holonet.
"Unfair advantages are an Empire speciality."

Choc

Banned
servers are back

Flashpoints

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented players from resetting their active Flashpoint.

fuck thats a good fix, drove people in the fleet insane

Wallach

So what do you guys think of the balance of the level 50 hard mode FPs?

I haven't done Maelstrom Prison or the Foundry yet. All of the others seem pretty easy, though I feel like the damage values are kind of random. Often times as healer I felt like there were trash packs that output a lot more damage than most of the hard mode bosses and were generally more dangerous. It also feels like a lot of the time the instances are front-loaded in terms of difficulty and get easier as you progress, Esseles and Battle of Ilum in particular.

Mairu

I haven't done Maelstrom Prison or the Foundry yet. All of the others seem pretty easy, though I feel like the damage values are kind of random. Often times as healer I felt like there were trash packs that output a lot more damage than most of the hard mode bosses and were generally more dangerous. It also feels like a lot of the time the instances are front-loaded in terms of difficulty and get easier as you progress, Esseles and Battle of Ilum in particular.

They are more difficult and time consuming than the normal Operations. I don't know if that says more about the FPs or the Operations though. The time investment vs reward in this game is way off balance when it comes to pvp vs pve & flashpoints vs operations

Dunlop

damn if you are level 47 or higher and have some level 50 friends get them to run you though dailies on Beslavis.

Did an entire level of XP

Tacitus_

The enrage timers are fucking TIGHT on the ones I've been running (Ilum and False emp).

antonz

The enrage timers are really unforgiving on the level 50s. If someone slacks off or even dies and comes back in you basically hit the enrage timer.

Choc

Banned
i got a feeling they've tuned some class content

i am facerolling something i had a major problem with before downtime

Wallach

The enrage timers are fucking TIGHT on the ones I've been running (Ilum and False emp).

I think it feels that way because a lot of DPS are still learning (and it is harder to do so without a combat log to drive theory). On our first drive through both of those I know we hit two enrage timers; one on the general that throws flashbangs and summons stealth adds (this took us three pulls, his adds hit super hard) and
good ol' HK-47
who I actually did not notice was enraged until just before he died and apparently had been healing through like 20 seconds of it. I think the latter is bugged somehow because he didn't seem to be hitting harder.

That general on Battle of Ilum with the flashbangs, his adds seem a little overtuned. I was amazed at how hard they hit the first time we pulled him. If you aren't accustomed to paying attention to boss buff bars, I could see people getting rocked on that fight for many pulls.

Edit - I didn't know the Foundry was faction-specific. I suppose that explains why I never figured out where you access it! Oh well.

Tacitus_

The enrage timers are really unforgiving on the level 50s. If someone slacks off or even dies and comes back in you basically hit the enrage timer.

Slacking off in a flashpoint in our group seems to mean "not hitting your CDs on time and not using consumables". As soon as I got my Rakata biochem stuff the bosses started dying just before or around the enrage timer. The flashbang general still gives us some trouble and there's a fair chance we wipe on the first pull since he has those strong adds with him.
Killed him last night where he enraged and wiped out the rest of my party while I managed to kill him with 2k hp left and two adds up :D

Izayoi

Banned
I fucked up and cancelled the Belsavis Bonus Series (Republic) and now I can't figure out where to pick it up again. Turned in Quarantine Failure already.

DarthHater and Torhead are zero help.

Wat do. ;_;

Wallach

I fucked up and cancelled the Belsavis Bonus Series (Republic) and now I can't figure out where to pick it up again. Turned in Quarantine Failure already.

DarthHater and Torhead are zero help.

Wat do. ;_;

It's on the space station, not on ground level.

Izayoi

Banned
How big of a step up is Nightmare difficulty over Hard? We did EV on Hard, and didn't really have that much trouble with it. I assume you'll need everyone with full Rakata sets in order to beat the enrage timers on Nightmare? What's the benefit of it, anyway? You get like a cool title or something?

It's on the space station, not on ground level.
That was Quarantine Failure, which I turned in. The quest I got for completing it (the bonus series) is what I cancelled, and now I can't seem to get it back. I even checked the Fleet where I originally got Quarantine Failure, to no avail.

Wallach

That was Quarantine Failure, which I turned in. The quest I got for completing it (the bonus series) is what I cancelled, and now I can't seem to get it back. I even checked the Fleet where I originally got Quarantine Failure, to no avail.

I think the first step of the bonus series takes you into the area where you start the 50 dailies, right? Have you been there before? I don't know if they give you the speeder route when you pick up the quest, but it's like directly west from the starting location in the High Security Section.

I can't get my trooper armor to friggin match, it's annoying me. Usually get a flow with other class armor sets but I keep looking ghetto Havoc squad with so many non matching colors.

my smuggler has biochem and bioanalysis but I also wanted slicing for atmosphere (I heard it can open new ways to traverse a level for example)

however I took diplomacy instead as it was recommended in the help system (for medical supplies)

will I regret switcing to slicing over diplomacy? Can I buy any medical supplies easily using money from slicing?

Slicing makes great money still in large part due to just slicing terminals and locks while questing, but once you hit 50, not sure if slicing has any meaning anymore. On Taris with slicing while questing in an hour I made almost 20k extra from lockboxes I kept finding. Had almost same result on Alderaan previous to that. But once you stop questing in the world it's not going to bring in much money from what I see. Sending out for slicing missions for lockboxes is a gamble now, you sometimes make good money, sometimes you lose

Citizen K

I'm getting a Logitech g700 mouse today. Anyone have this mouse for TOR? Any tips on bindings? The mouse has 4 side buttons and 3 on the top next to the left mouse click. I'm a healer but this is my first mmo so dunno what would be a good setup.

SleazyC

Playing a healer myself, I've found that the balance from boss to boss within a flashpoint itself jumps ridiculously all over the place. Foundry is a great example as
Revan
is a snoozefest until he does his lightning attack that can one-shot a tank without the proper cooldowns up. Really no visual indication that he is going to do it and it felt like we just had to have our tank pop his cooldowns and pray he timed them right.

Battle of Illum is another fp that just had what I felt was a ridiculously overtuned boss in it (
Krel Thak
) seems to have a pretty tight enrage and while we eventually researched the mechanics after a couple wipes we couldn't get threat to stick to the tank and he kept destroying others randomly. Ended up skipping him, not sure if that was on me as a healer, on our DPS or on our tank.

Overall I've found that the ease of healing has gotten slightly smoother as I've geared up and I enjoy the challenge but some of the mechanics do seem a bit unfair at times. I have yet to do False Emperor and Directive 7 so I'm not sure of how those pan out.

frequency

I'm getting a Logitech g700 mouse today. Anyone have this mouse for TOR? Any tips on bindings? The mouse has 4 side buttons and 3 on the top next to the left mouse click. I'm a healer but this is my first mmo so dunno what would be a good setup.

I don't know about key bindings, but my SO used to have one and complained about the battery life all the time. It's apparently just like 1-2 days at most.

You also apparently need to download some Logitech program or something and make the buttons map to some keys for it to work.

On another note, I was listening to the Bombcast (I'm still a relatively new listener!). They were talking about SWTOR. Brad brought something up that really made me frown. He said that in WoW, you had multiple zones you could level in. His example was the Humans could go to Westfall or go to the Dwarven area to level after they finish their beginning area.
In SWTOR, you have one planet for your level. For the most part, you can't choose to level on this one or that because there's very little level overlap.

In my own experience, there was a bit of overlap with Taris and Nar Shaddaa, but I still had to hit Taris first. I haven't had a choice since. It's not about which zone to level in but whether I want to leave a planet early to move on to the next one.

Ken

Shift, alt, ctrl, and another combination of the three for each side button? Then you could make all your skills go from 1-5 (or whatever numbers you're comfortable with hitting on your keyboard) like shift-1, ctrl-5, or alt-ctrl 2?

On another note, I was listening to the Bombcast (I'm still a relatively new listener!). They were talking about SWTOR. Brad brought something up that really made me frown. He said that in WoW, you had multiple zones you could level in. His example was the Humans could go to Westfall or go to the Dwarven area to level after they finish their beginning area.
In SWTOR, you have one planet for your level. For the most part, you can't choose to level on this one or that because there's very little level overlap.

In my own experience, there was a bit of overlap with Taris and Nar Shaddaa, but I still had to hit Taris first. I haven't had a choice since. It's not about which zone to level in but whether I want to leave a planet early to move on to the next one.

The choice of where to level was only early on in the game, after that you were still funneled into the same areas as everyone else.

frequency

The choice of where to level was only early on in the game, after that you were still funneled into the same areas as everyone else.

In WoW? No I wasn't. I always had a choice.
Did I want to go to the elf forest or the place with all the high cliffs?
Did I want to fight undead or bandits?
Did I want to deal with dinosaurs and trolls in a jungle or random animals in a marsh?
Did I want to go to the volcano-y area? Or did I want to go to the desert to fight bugs?

You always had like 2-4 different areas you could level in.

EDIT: I can't remember much of TBC/WoTLK zones, but I know at the very least I had at least 2 choices in WoTLK. You could approach the island from either side. It met in the middle at the very end game.

EDIT2: http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level_(original)
I'm not just being nostalgic.

Derrick01

Banned

Not really. Basically you had 2 similar continents to go through your progression. Like in Kalimdor at level ~30 you could to thousand needles or you could go to Alterac Mountains in the other continent. It's like that for most level ranges.

Eastern/Western Plaguelands and Ungoro/Silithus or whatever it's called at the 50-58 range is another example.

hamchan

I don't know about key bindings, but my SO used to have one and complained about the battery life all the time. It's apparently just like 1-2 days at most.

You also apparently need to download some Logitech program or something and make the buttons map to some keys for it to work.

Yep I think Brad's point was spot on. WoW provided different paths for leveling. I remember WOTLK giving multiple zones that a player could choose to level in Northrend, I quite liked it. Though Brad does mention right after that SWTOR sacrifices freedom for the better story, and I think he's correct about that too.

frequency

Yep I think Brad's point was spot on. WoW provided different paths for leveling. I remember WOTLK giving multiple zones that a player could choose to level in Northrend, I quite liked it. Though Brad does mention right after that SWTOR sacrifices that for the better story, and I think he's correct about that too.

Yes, the story stuff is way better than in WoW.
That's why I'm still playing.

But I have to say the moment to moment gameplay and the bigger picture makes me think this game isn't for me. But I'll play as long as I'm still enjoying it. The story/character stuff is good enough to hold me despite all my other problems with the game. That says something about what they achieved I think.

I don't think any other MMO will be like SWTOR just because of the story and dialog. This is a very Bioware thing. I think it'll be a unique thing that no one will be able to emulate. That's something.

I can't get my trooper armor to friggin match, it's annoying me. Usually get a flow with other class armor sets but I keep looking ghetto Havoc squad with so many non matching colors.

Yeah this is bugging me too. I am even fine not being in the knockoff Clone/Stormtrooper armor, but just give me something that matches. I actually really like the stuff I got in the teens (the agile looking gear with pouches on the front and a backpack), but the colors never match.

Also I hate how wearing an open face helmet made my beard disappear.

FLEABttn

Banned
EDIT: I can't remember much of TBC/WoTLK zones, but I know at the very least I had at least 2 choices in WoTLK. You could approach the island from either side. It met in the middle at the very end game.

I remember WOTLK giving multiple zones that a player could choose to level in Northrend

You're both remembering WotLK kinda wrong. Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord -> Dragonblight. There was only two options for the first zone. After that, straight path.

In WoW? No I wasn't. I always had a choice.
Did I want to go to the elf forest or the place with all the high cliffs?
Did I want to fight undead or bandits?
Did I want to deal with dinosaurs and trolls in a jungle or random animals in a marsh?
Did I want to go to the volcano-y area? Or did I want to go to the desert to fight bugs?

You always had like 2-4 different areas you could level in.

EDIT2: http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level_(original)
I'm not just being nostalgic.

Problem I had with WoW and this "choice" was that the questing was designed around being "just right", so if you wanted to keep from grinding, no matter what you were mostly going to go to every zone you could for questing. You had a choice in how to approach it, but you would end up going to the other zones.

In Vanilla WoW you had more choice and there was much more grind as well so you would choose where to go, but as they streamlined the leveling progression to be less grindy, you lost the freedom and unless you were going to grind and just questing you would still end up going to the different "choices"

I don't think any other MMO will be like SWTOR just because of the story and dialog. This is a very Bioware thing. I think it'll be a unique thing that no one will be able to emulate. That's something.

Story is the obvious stumbling block, but the lack of "choice" is not Bioware exclusive as majority of MMOs have been following linear zone progression for a long time now, with very little divergence. RIFT for example was completely straight forward in how you progressed, with no unique starting areas even.

Garryk

I think the trade-off with this game is that each class gets to experience the planets differently. In WoW everyone gets the same quests and experience, but TOR allows for different takes on subsequent playthroughs. It obviously doesn't offer as much variety as WoW but that game recently devoted an expansion to giving more variety in the leveling process (seven years after launch).

Interfectum

A lot of hair splitting around here. WoW is pretty damn linear too. Especially as you get more into the expansions then it gets very linear.

Plus there are no moral choices in WoW and the story is the same regardless of what class you choose. At least in TOR you can change it up a little bit as every class has their own story and you can choose dark side/light side choices.

hamchan

I also feel like vanilla WoW's world was way bigger than SWTOR's with way more zones and bigger land. I don't know if that's actually accurate or not but it feels like that to me.

RotBot

I skipped 2 planets, except for class quests, because I was over-leveled from doing all the quests on previous planets, and I'm still at lvl 36. So there will be some new areas for a second playthrough. Not as much variety as WoW, but it's something.

I also feel like vanilla WoW's world was way bigger than SWTOR's with way more zones and bigger land. I don't know if that's actually accurate or not but it feels like that to me.

Many of TOR's planets are much larger than multiple WoW zones at times, so it's really hard to say. Issue is that the two continents in vanilla WoW were connected and you were hopping between them through loading screens, story, traveling, etc. Vanilla WoW also had you spend more time in particular zones because leveling was much slower back in Vanilla days, where in TOR you go through a planet much quicker if you want too.

how does crafting work to make items, eg as a biochem can I make items anywhere or do I need some kind of workbench or something like those weapon mod bench things?

also, will crafting ingredients clog up my main inventory?

how does crafting work to make items, eg as a biochem can I make items anywhere or do I need some kind of workbench or something like those weapon mod bench things?

also, will crafting ingredients clog up my main inventory?

You craft anywhere, and your mats don't need to be on you, they can be on you or in your bank

frequency

Maybe because I come from older style MMOs but the "grinding" in WoW was not very grindy at all. I remember all the zones having quest hubs. Did I have to grind more than in SWTOR? Sure. But I like a better mix of grind/quest. I know I'm in the minority but whatever.

I don't think there is any debate that SWTOR is way more linear than WoW. I don't know why RIFT keeps being brought up. I don't like RIFT and only made it like 15 levels.

Whatever I guess.

In my mind (and I know it's not nostalgia), WoW had significantly more choices of where I wanted to be than SWTOR. I'm not saying WoW is a better game or whatever. I don't do comparisons in that sense. I just miss some of the "freedom" WoW gave me. The way I played, it was not even the slightest bit linear.

I'll post the link again:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level_(original)
Ignore the expansion zones since SWTOR is vanilla right now as well.
Now look up your zone choices in SWTOR.

Even having TWO choices is 100% more choice of where to be than SWTOR.

I'm not talking about story trade offs or anything. Just my moment to moment experience, ignoring all the other trimmings. SWTOR is a significantly smaller and less varied experience for me with my play style.
My play style that is a mix of grind/quest, perhaps leaning a bit more to the grind side. I know you guys prefer otherwise. I'm not trying to argue SWTOR should change for a minority like me.

NOTE: Keep in mind the bulk of my WoW experience was in Vanilla. I did play some TBC and WotLK, but that was coming back after quitting and only lasting less than a year.

Top Bottom