• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

JWong

Banned
About fan fiction, that Vette one partially came true in the actual game.

Btw finally married to Vette. Made some Twi'lek babies. Is that even possible?

Tworak

so let me get this straight. we can't talk about swtor in a swtor thread because it might hurt someone's feelings?

jesus christ, GAMERSSSSS.

brb, deathloop.

Mareg

Hey I was wondering if there is a great difference between the lightsabers animations of the Consular/Inquisitor classes ?
I know they have very different animation when it comes to force abilities. I was wondering if the Inquisitor lightsaber animations were more interesting/flashy then the overall blend moves of the consular. For exemple, the consular backstab, I feel, is very simple and unsatisfying.

From the design notes:

"Expect a few surprises between these Game Updates, too. You never know when the Republic might strike Dromund Kaas, if a mysterious alien fleet could appear in the Core Worlds… or when the Rakghoul plague of Taris might infect the rest of the Galaxy. Changes are coming, and they’ll affect everyone. "

Hmmm hinting at whats covered in future updates? Do hope they can actually provide surprises between the content updates.

From the design notes:

"Expect a few surprises between these Game Updates, too. You never know when the Republic might strike Dromund Kaas, if a mysterious alien fleet could appear in the Core Worlds… or when the Rakghoul plague of Taris might infect the rest of the Galaxy. Changes are coming, and they’ll affect everyone. "

Hmmm hinting at whats covered in future updates? Do hope they can actually provide surprises between the content updates.

I'm hoping one of the updates basically restarts the war entirely. Some sort of meaningful world pvp (not broken) involving dromund kaas and Coruscant would be neat.

Derrick01

Banned
From the design notes:

Don't tell me they're going to copy that plague thing that WoW did too
I'm joking...partially. Seriously don't do that Bioware

Also

a mysterious alien fleet could appear in the core worlds

Reapers!!

usea

Off topic: I have no comment on the "competency" of BioWare, but I just wanted to say I'm so sick of this word. "Incompetent" has been thrown around on these boards at absolutely everyone for absolutely everything. Get a thesaurus or something!
Why is it my responsibility to keep track of threads you read for words you encounter too often, and avoid those? You are conflating all the posters on this forum as having some sort of singular responsibility to provide you with a diverse wordset. We are individuals, each responsible for their own actions. Get some perspective. Although I think I have used that word before in this thread. I think it's apt.

Bioware fucking up or being "incompetent" is one thing, but you really think being able to kill turrets and reach max rank in pvp in very little time is "working as intended?" I'm not sure how your thinking this wasn't a bug or accident, seems pretty clear to me they fucked up. Berating them for letting this reach live is fair, and what action they'll take here I have no idea, but to say "working as intended?"
I didn't say it's a good system. I said the system is working as they intended. I could have been more nuanced and said that the rules are behaving as they intended, but they did not anticipate the reality of the situation (even with access to all the numbers) because they are bad designers. My point was that banning players because the faction imbalance (among other things) makes their system shitty is not par for the course for mmos. It definitely steps over the line of usual exploit bans.

Grouping up to roflstomp the enemy faction in a pvp zone is intended player behavior. That is how the players should behave. Absolutely normal behavior giving extraordinary rewards is not exploiting.

I didn't say it's a good system. I said the system is working as they intended. I could have been more nuanced and said that the rules are behaving as they intended, but they did not anticipate the reality of the situation (even with access to all the numbers) because they are bad designers. My point was that banning players because the faction imbalance (among other things) makes their system shitty is not par for the course for mmos. It definitely steps over the line of usual exploit bans.

Give me a break. Getting to max pvp rank in 2 hours is not working as intended. In no way would banning players here step over the line. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. A rollback is obviously highly preferable, but if that is not possible then they MUST ban. Unless you somehow think it makes business sense or would be a good display of pride and honor to willfully destroy an entire half-billion dollar game because you didn't think it was fair to ban some people.

I'm hoping one of the updates basically restarts the war entirely. Some sort of meaningful world pvp (not broken) involving dromund kaas and Coruscant would be neat.

World PvP is a mess and they got to fix what they got already. Imagine we would see perhaps some new quests added to planets perhaps and maybe a new flashpoint once in a while at best that move along the story.

It also feels like they want to keep the game story to involve majority of players and not restrict it to only raid content.

Patryn

I think the biggest problem with all this is that is reinforces the player narrative that it's not worth rolling Republic.

Already, it sounds like one of the biggest problems is that the population is far too Sith-heavy, and now this?

Bioware needs to start thinking of creating some incentives to try to get players to play Republic, or there will be trouble in the future.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1790513#edit1790513

Hi folks,

We're currently investigating potential issues related to the Ilum open world PVP area post 1.1. We understand that this is a topic of much discussion and we ask that you please direct all discussions to this thread.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:
No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
Please stay on topic.
If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

We will update as soon as we have more information.

Kind of a non answer, but anyway, keep an eye on that thread / dev tracker I guess.

I think the biggest problem with all this is that is reinforces the player narrative that it's not worth rolling Republic.

Already, it sounds like one of the biggest problems is that the population is far too Sith-heavy, and now this?

Bioware needs to start thinking of creating some incentives to try to get players to play Republic, or there will be trouble in the future.

Not going to have any point now, but in the future give benefits to players to roll alts on the opposite faction for the legacy system when it goes live.

What, you don't want to see the fleets full of Rakgouls? Or how about terrorizing Korriban and Tython? :lol

Yuuzhan Vong in TOR. Give the lore a giant middle finger

Ken

Managed to do the daily with a random Ops group that just started inviting any Republic we could find.

No real reason to waste time going to Ilum for the dailies/weeklies for Centurion Commendations (ugh) when I could just queue up Warzones from the safety of the Fleet.

Also, laughed at this cutscene from my smuggler last night:

732ca13d.jpg

notworksafe

Ugh. I was really digging this game (loving the story, enjoying the combat, etc) but Hoth is the most boring planet ever. Who thought an empty, frozen wasteland would make for an interesting planet to explore?

If the story progression was a little faster, I might be more interested. Ah well. Cancelled my sub but I'll keep playing for the next few days...gonna see how much of the story I can finish. I'll just keep an eye on the game to see how it progresses. I'll probably be back for the next expansion or story addition.

From the design notes:

Isn't this their event system that they have planned?

Interfectum

The only real boon to faction splits is for world PvP, something that these traditional MMO's do horribly. Makes no sense why largely PvE/instanced PvP type games would want to cut their prospects to ribbons.

UO had amazing world PvP. People eventually split into their own factions.

Patryn

Also, given the tone of the storylines, isn't it more likely that the Imps would strike Coruscant (again)? Seems like in no way does the Republic have its shit together.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
About that Anti Aliasing...

Even tho the tooltip says the feature isn't implemented low sets it to 0, High sets it to 1 with noticeable improvements.

Does 8 still work?

Also, given the tone of the storylines, isn't it more likely that the Imps would strike Coruscant (again)? Seems like in no way does the Republic have its shit together.

Imps take a pretty major blow from the events of some of the later flashpoints and the JK ending. Not sure who's worse off though, I'm saving my eventual republic alt spree until I know whats going on with the legacy system!

I've only been playing Republic classes, so I wouldn't know if the Imps have their act together or not. They certainly seem to be a lot more organized and effective when I fight them, though.

Empire come off as more organized and warlike but have a ton of internal issues which also become more and more apparent higher up in the story progression.

Patryn

Empire come off as more organized and warlike but have a ton of internal issues which also become more and more apparent higher up in the story progression.

Hmm. Well, my impression of the Republic thus far (level 34 Commando, level 28 Guardian) is that it's basically incompetent.

nataku

About that Anti Aliasing...

Even tho the tooltip says the feature isn't implemented low sets it to 0, High sets it to 1 with noticeable improvements.

Does 8 still work?

I don't think so. I had the ini set to 8 and when I logged in after the patch it was set to High in the options.

Checking my ini right now, it's only set to AntiAliasingLevel = 1 despite me not messing with the options at all in-game.

I also have a strange setting I've never seen before. "Buckets = 2" lol

I don't think so. I had the ini set to 8 and when I logged in after the patch it was set to High in the options.

Checking my ini right now, it's only set to AntiAliasingLevel = 1 despite me not messing with the options at all in-game.

It probably resets the INI to 1 after the patch, and since there are only text for 3 options in the dropdown, they just say if (level >= 1) SetDropdown("High")

I think it's still worth manually setting it to a number higher than 1 and then running the game and seeing if you ntoice a difference.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Yes we have 2 buckets somewhere!

I mean...wasn't the reason why they delayed 1.1 was because they found some last minute bugs?

And now this?

Utterly shocking they put this up the next day, patch is a mess, to top it all off my Jukebox droid no longer plays music! Poor little guy just follows me round.

Utterly shocking they put this up the next day, patch is a mess, to top it all off my Jukebox droid no longer plays music! Poor little guy just follows me round.

Wait, the Rhythm Augmentation Droid isn't working? If so, that surpasses any problems with Ilum for me. On my server, it's my duty to drop that bad boy down to inspire my side in a Warzone. Unacceptable.

*EDIT*

Lots of people on the official forums are now suggesting that the turret valor situation was an elaborate ruse and troll. I have no clue as I've refrained from going to Ilum after hearing about it, but holy crap does that just illustrate how awful the official forums are as a whole. Maybe it was already hot fixed, who knows which side is telling the truth over there.

Hari Seldon

The problem with the faction imbalance is that the "good guys" are the REPUBLIC and not the REBELS. The Rebels are fucking awesome (Leia, Ackbar, etc.), the Republic is a piece of shit and boring (Episodes 1-3). Of course I'd rather be anything than with those incompetent fools.

They should seriously ditch the whole faction thing but it is probably waaaay too late for that.

Einbroch

Banned
Lots of people on the official forums are now suggesting that the turret valor situation was an elaborate ruse and troll. I have no clue as I've refrained from going to Ilum after hearing about it, but holy crap does that just illustrate how awful the official forums are as a whole.

Could have just been a hotfix. But since BW isn't being clear on what's going on, it's anyone's guess.

Edit: Nevermind. It's still broken. You only get valor if you control Ilum.

By the way, are subs up tonight or tomorrow night at midnight if you were there for the first day of early access?

frequency

Why is it my responsibility to keep track of threads you read for words you encounter too often, and avoid those? You are conflating all the posters on this forum as having some sort of singular responsibility to provide you with a diverse wordset. We are individuals, each responsible for their own actions. Get some perspective. Although I think I have used that word before in this thread. I think it's apt.
I was just saying in general. And in jest. No need to take it so personally.

But since you insist on it, I'll make a personal comment. Grrr and stuff:
You are incompetent with words and GAF-following.

INCOMPETENT.

I-N-C-O-M-P-E-T-E-N-T.

I don't really think that. I'm just joking and trying to be light in a thread that has taken a turn.

(Seriously though. Sometimes it reads like GAF just learned a new word and so is using it as much as possible. Because it's big and stuff. I think the word has come up like 5 times at least on this page alone.)

By the way, are subs up tonight or tomorrow night at midnight if you were there for the first day of early access?

I was in on the 13th and mine shows "You will be billed on 01.21.2012."

The problem with the faction imbalance is that the "good guys" are the REPUBLIC and not the REBELS. The Rebels are fucking awesome (Leia, Ackbar, etc.), the Republic is a piece of shit and boring (Episodes 1-3). Of course I'd rather be anything than with those incompetent fools.

Revan, HK-47, and Ackbar's ancestor to lead the republic. There, faction imbalance solved.

CAW

Running a single 6950 (2GB) GPU, 8GB RAM (Ripjaws) with an i5-2500K quad CPU.

Forcing AA through the drivers gives me about 60FPS @ 2x, 25-30 FPS @ 4x and 15-20 FPS 8x. Does that seem about right? I mean I can run games like Skyrim maxed and have over 40-60 FPS no problem.

1920x1080. Is this game just demanding, poorly coded or what?

With everything maxed and no AA I get over 100 FPS.

They could balance it by making wookies a playable republic faction. I pretty much guarantee you a ton of people would reroll republic in order to get in on the hairy goodness.

zlatko

Banned
I actually prefer Republic over imperial, but it's a shame I'm part of the minority. The only class on Imps I want to play is Assassin, but on republic I'm still curious about Commando, Vanguard, and even Sage as well as my current Sentinel.

Speaking of Commando and Vanguards, which of the two gets more bad ass equipment? I remember seeing a NPC in all white that looked basically like an awesome Spartan from Halo: Reach by the door to the Esseles quest.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about, could they let me know which class could get to wear similar equipment? I'd definitely make that my secondary. :)

Top Bottom