• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Macattk15

While you might have a little bit faster queues, Huttball doesn't care what faction you are, so if there are enough Emps queued you'll still be able to PVP even with no Pubs.

Which I think was actually a pretty dang good idea on their part.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of Huttball. It's all I ever did on my other server. Literally never saw any other BG. I think I fought Republic in Huttball maybe once?

They probably won't. Or at least I'll be very surprised if they do. People that were able to exploit this are very likely going to keep their rank and Battlemaster gear.

The thing is, people that are stuck dying there CAN'T leave. You basically have to abandon your character and go play another or something else.

It makes absolutely no sense that there is no spawn immunity, its like they didnt consider that turrets could be destroyed or something...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of Huttball. It's all I ever did on my other server. Literally never saw any other BG. I think I fought Republic in Huttball maybe once?

Plus side of Rep is you get extremely fast Warzone queues. You also get less Huttball so if your sick of it, then switching to Rep might make you happy. Lot of people like Huttball though, but yea as an imp you probably are sick of it.

CAW

How is the game at level 50 for someone who isn't really interested in PvP or Operations (right now anyway)? I mean, I know that doesn't leave room for much but could I jump in do dailies, work on crew skills, etc just so that char doesn't collect dust? And is that worth while?

Second question: AA doesn't work for me. ATI 6950. I've always had issues with ATI cards and Bioware games with their AA not working. Anyone else with an ATI card experiencing the same thing?

I honestly had no intentions of doing this, but seeing this huge mess I'm very much considering not renewing.

Republic Perspective of Ilum. (Stolen from SWTOR forums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TL0kDP_Cexo#t=9s

I honestly don't know if they can roll back valor from the technical side. I suspect that instead of rolling back valor, they will ban all the people that are exploiting this and take the server down within a few hours of this post.

We can argue about the merits of banning people based on exploitable oversights, but I don't know if there's a better option for them right now.

StMeph

Holy hell BW.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=193091

For people who don't want to follow the link, Imps are getting battlemaster within hours because there's a bug that allows them to farm the turrets in the republic base for 150 valor each with no diminishing returns. Of course a lot of servers are so imp heavy the republic can't even fight back since they're camping the damn taxi. Everyone get ready for valor roll back.

EDIT: People on the forums are reporting 800 to 2000 valor per minute.

That's insane. If there's not a rollback, it would be even crazier.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I honestly don't know if they can roll back valor from the technical side. I suspect that instead of rolling back valor, they will ban all the people that are exploiting this and take the server down within a few hours of this post.

We can argue about the merits of banning people based on exploitable oversights, but I don't know if there's a better option for them right now.

Bwahahaha, just the thought would be awesome. It is obviously something...an exploit or whatever, but that would be ONE way to even out the factions a tiny bit. =)

If they do not rollback or do something about this, even I will have to consider bouncing. I'm not even a big PvPer (its fun though) but I hate the thought of Battlemasters running around without having earned it and my guildies suffering for it.

Sent

Congratulations Bioware you fucked it up even more. I don't know where people believe there isn't/wasn't faction imbalance, well now you have proof. It costs even more tokens to get gear too? Hilarious.

Einbroch

Banned
Don't know if this was posted, but...

EA spent nearly a half of a billion dollars on SWTOR

“I think it’s safe to say that the total all-in investment in ‘Star Wars’ is probably approaching half a billion dollars,” Creutz says. “EA has minimized its risks as much as it can on this bet, but it’s still a risky bet. To the extent that any one game defines his tenure, it’s going to be how ‘Star Wars’ performs.”

It makes absolutely no sense that there is no spawn immunity, its like they didnt consider that turrets could be destroyed or something...

Stuff should be caught on test server. They really need to do something to get more people on test and to let people just make high level characters to properly test the high end content. This stuff is going to keep happenin if they don't have enough people playing and testing this stuff out.

This is like the 5th Analyst that has claimed the cost of TOR. Patcher put it at 80 million, another 100 mil, 300 mil, and this one now saying 500 mil.

Bwahahaha, just the thought would be awesome. It is obviously something...an exploit or whatever, but that would be ONE way to even out the factions a tiny bit. =)

Well, I hate to see anyone banned, even Imperials, because I know that feeling when you discover something like this and you just lose all sense of rationality and you just do it for the adrenaline rush. But there is really just no way BioWare is not going to do SOMETHING about this. And if they can't roll back, they are left with no choice but to ban.

I don't think banning is that unfair in this circumstance either. They banned for the exploit of selling partial stacks to vendor, and a credit exploit is much less of a problem than a permanent stat boosting exploit. I think the unwritten rule in every single MMO out there is that if you are exploiting a game mechanic that is the result of a developer oversight or bug, the exploit is game breaking, and the exploit is OBVIOUSLY non-intentional on the part of the developers, then it is a bannable offense. Igorance isn't really an excuse either, since I seriously doubt there is anyone who is already on Ilum that does not have quite a bit of MMO experience.

LowParry

Well, good news is that Warzone matches feel a lot smoother. Huttball did at least. Void is very smooth. Still waiting on Ald.

Heysoos

If they can't roll back, banning players for this would be bullshit, really. If I was a Imperial, I'd sure as hell be taking advantage of this right now. There probably is not going to be any rollbacks at all, and people that exploited this stupid shit because of developer incompetence, are not to blame.

Obviously, whether they ban/rollback or anything is another thing. Personally, if nothing happens by the end of the day, or if it's not even addressed by them, I'm done with this game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Old news as the budget for the game has been known for years.

If they can't roll back, banning players for this would be bullshit, really. If I was a Imperial, I'd sure as hell be taking advantage of this right now. There probably is not going to be any rollbacks at all, and people that exploited this stupid shit because of developer incompetence, are not to blame.

Obviously, whether they ban/rollback or anything is another thing. Personally, if nothing happens by the end of the day, or if it's not even addressed by them, I'm done with this game.

This is not true and never will be true about banning. These players KNOW they're doing something off and there is no way in hell they can possibly even think what they are doing is "working as intended."

Einbroch

Banned

The only thing they can do is to actually roll back the servers themselves to before the patch. The longer they wait, the less likely they will, as this effects everything that everyone has done.

Old news as the budget for the game has been known for years.

The last number I saw was around 200mil, but I don't follow the business side of gaming very closely.

Pat

Am I only one who already lost interest in the game? I don't want to complain, I had so much faith, even if it is like WoW... But something's just wrong and I wonder what could possibly screw my game experience.

Might be the environment though. There's absolutely nothing special about the planets if you ask me (Tatooine was not bad), they all look the same (planes without big mountains or highs with some junk right and left).

How is the game at level 50 for someone who isn't really interested in PvP or Operations (right now anyway)? I mean, I know that doesn't leave room for much but could I jump in do dailies, work on crew skills, etc just so that char doesn't collect dust? And is that worth while?

Second question: AA doesn't work for me. ATI 6950. I've always had issues with ATI cards and Bioware games with their AA not working. Anyone else with an ATI card experiencing the same thing?

I'm not 50 yet but from what I hear there are plenty of dailies to do. You can make a lot of money with a full rotation on them. I imagine that if you are going to do operations/hard modes then you will need to do them for gear.

Miletius

The problem is that I've never seen any incentive given for any other game that would actually work. Double xp is nice, but it's only limited to when you level, and it assumes that you don't care about the journey at all (since you'd miss out on tons of quests if they gave you that).

I think a start would be to give the Republic some extra cosmetic options or something really cool so that people would actually want to try them out. They could also imbalance the sides for a bit making republic more attractive to play but i doubt people would go for that, plus it would be heck of annoying when they would have to pull back after Reb side got flooded with all the min/maxers. Maybe extra credits or cheaper things would do it too, but since money seems to be no problem in the game thus far, I doubt it.

What they should have done is concentrated on the Republic side a bit more during development. The Republic side has the less interesting storylines, lamer starting planets and you also have to factor in people wanting to play "evil" for whatever reason.

This is not true and never will be true about banning. These players KNOW they're doing something off and there is no way in hell they can possibly even think what they are doing is "working as intended."

This. Exploiting an OBVIOUS developer oversight with game breaking consequences is and has always been a bannable offense in every single MMO I know of.

Won

Well on my server the Imps are only on the entrance of the Rep base. That's a server with something like a 2:1 Imp:Rep ratio I think.

Still BW needed to react like an hour ago.

Also the game can't handle that many players at all it seems.

Zafir

Yeah, Ilum is just an absolute mess. On my server there isn't enough empire around to do the turret killing and spawn camping, however we were still pretty much slaughtering any republic who came out of their base. You could still get quite a bit of valor doing that. I left eventually out of boredom. Since I'm melee I was pretty much just standing there while ranged people attacked people in their group until someone decided to use their pull to pull them into our pack. Not to mention it's hardly fun just outnumbering them. FPS continues to be horrible when a lot of people are around, too.

Well on my server the Imps are only on the entrance of the Rep base. That's a server with something like a 2:1 Imp:Rep ratio I think.

Same here.

Heysoos

There may be too many people doing it. Unlike other exploits, this one doesn't require deliberate glitching of the system.

Basically this.

I just don't see Bioware doing anything about it, which is why I'm likely going to cancel today unless they address it. Idk. Anyways time for class, I'll check in later and see what happens.

They would just roll the entire server back if they couldn't do just valor. That or have hilariously unbalanced pvp for several months to a year with so many imps (soon) sporting battlemaster gear.

Jbird34

The only thing they can do is to actually roll back the servers themselves to before the patch. The longer they wait, the less likely they will, as this effects everything that everyone has done.

Yeah they need to go ahead and shut it down and roll it back, PVP is gonna be bad enough as a Republic player but if the imps are decked out in full battle master gear after 30 mins then no one will pvp

They probably won't. Or at least I'll be very surprised if they do. People that were able to exploit this are very likely going to keep their rank and Battlemaster gear.

I think letting them keep it will be far more devastating to the pvp community of the game then rolling it back and explaining the situation. They're going to get criticized for whatever they decision they choose to be honest, but I'd take the easier path. If I were in there shoes I'd take the hit from the small amount of people benefiting from this as opposed to letting them keep it and damaging the already tumultuous relationship they have with the PVP community.

Obviously I'm just playing "armchair developer," I have no clue how the technology they have implemented works and whether it would allow a roll back, but thats what I'm hoping for. Otherwise I think alot of people who are heavily invested in the PVP are going to be completely turned off and deflated by this.

Why not make illum more controlled. They have instanced planets already so just make it a forced ratio +/- 5 or whatever.

Illum is instanced too but if they restrict it too much then you will have to put a queue on entering the planet or your going to have a ton of instances of imps waiting for Rep players to show up.

usea

Which part of this is not working as intended? Seriously. It's just a bad system. It's not a bug or an accident. BW is just incompetent.

Which part of this is not working as intended? Seriously. It's just a bad system. It's not a bug or an accident. BW is just incompetent.

It's part bug, part bad design. The bug makes it a lot worse because there's supposed to be diminishing returns for killing the same player or farming the turrets for valor (obviously this is not working). The amplifies the bad design of illum 10 fold to the point of game breaking.

lol at the Illum thing. The thing here is that with a few tweaks now, we can have actual open world pvP

But PvP was never the biggest deal for me. So I am still in.

Bioware fucking up or being "incompetent" is one thing, but you really think being able to kill turrets and reach max rank in pvp in very little time is "working as intended?" I'm not sure how your thinking this wasn't a bug or accident, seems pretty clear to me they fucked up. Berating them for letting this reach live is fair, and what action they'll take here I have no idea, but to say "working as intended?"

StMeph

Well, in BioWare's mind, the game would be perfectly split between Republic and Empire. Ilum would be a place for honor-bound world PvP, and no one would ever complain because the system would be perfect. Everyone renews their subs because the game is so engrossing, and not at all like that other competing product.

That's their intention. Sadly, I don't think any part of the game is working as intended.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Well SWTOR got me, 1st mmo I've played since EQ past the free month (or month after expansion). Now I still don't care for PvP or the Big group stuff but I love the single player stories.

frequency

Off topic: I have no comment on the "competency" of BioWare, but I just wanted to say I'm so sick of this word. "Incompetent" has been thrown around on these boards at absolutely everyone for absolutely everything. Get a thesaurus or something!

Off topic: I have no comment on the "competency" of BioWare, but I just wanted to say I'm so sick of this word. "Incompetent" has been thrown around on these boards at absolutely everyone for absolutely everything. Get a thesaurus or something!

Inept? Unskilled? Clumsy? Maladroit?

JWong

Banned
So I left my PC on the server list screen before going to bed.

Woke up and was able to log in without patching. I wonder if things would start screwing up if I kept playing like that. lol

Repgnar

Hopped on to get my Ilum daily done as a republic. The server i'm on is not anything close to that video but it was a big group of Imps standing at our entrance and a group of us inside the base. Basically came down to someone getting a grab or stun off then backing off. Got my 30 kills/armaments and tried queuing up for a WZ but ended up not getting in after a few minutes. Got class in a bit so hopefully when I get back I can actually try out a WZ with only 50's.

As T7 Followed me into the refresher the door slammed shut....

Jack-Nicholson-Head-Nod1.gif

Top Bottom