• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Trouble

Banned
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on an official response to these issues and we will be posting it soon. Please understand that these issues require some time to investigate and we are making sure that we provide you all with the most updated information in our official response.

We understand that some of you may be frustrated, but we ask for your patience on this to give us time to respond with thorough developer input.

Thank you to those of you that have been posting constructively in this thread.

We will have a response shortly.

Joveth Gonzalez | Associate Online Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR |Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]
New dev post.

Patryn

Not even sure if I'll bother playing tonight, because I really suspect that we may see a rollback to pre-1.1.

Don't want to lose progress.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bugs happen. Shit happens. Whatever.

The fact that they STILL haven't even said anything outside of "We're looking at a potential issue" is completely mindblowing. It's not even the weekend or in the middle of the night. It's the day after a major patch. All hands should be on deck.

Ridiculous.
Are you insinuating they're not all hands on deck? What more do you want them to say outside we're looking at it? Minute-by-minute updates from the coders?

12:43:52 PM - "Checked out header file from Perforce server."
12:44:03 PM - "Opened file in Visual Studio."
12:45:16 PM - "Looks like a Build break, putting this fix on hold to help investigate."

When they have more info to post, they'll do it. As someone who's been on the dev side for an MMO, things take longer to investigate than you may realize.

Einbroch

Banned
There's no easy solution now. There's not much more they can say. The real mistake was letting it go live.

That's easy to say, but even Blizzard messes this stuff up. Tol Barad. And that lasted for days with absolutely no punishment.

Should it have been caught? Of course. But things, even major things like this, slip through the cracks. They should have either hotfixed this or taken down the servers within an hour of the patch going live, not almost a full day later.

bill0527

I rolled Imp simply because I learned my lesson the hard way after years of WoW.

There are some WoW servers out there that are Alliance dominated, but last time I looked at statistics, the vast majority were balanced toward Horde. I always ended up being in the fuckin minority on my alliance toons and it was not fun.

Seems like these type of games, the majority of people always want to be on the bad/evil side, so that's how I rolled this time.

Trouble

Banned
I rolled Imp simply because I learned my lesson the hard way after years of WoW.

There are some WoW servers out there that are Alliance dominated, but last time I looked at statistics, the vast majority were balanced toward Horde. I always ended up being in the fuckin minority on my alliance toons and it was not fun.

Seems like these type of games, the majority of people always want to be on the bad/evil side, so that's how I rolled this time.
Wasn't vanilla WoW the opposite? Or was I just on a weird server?

Interfectum

Yeah, Blizzard turned the tide by giving Horde Blood Elves and Alliance purple goatmen.

Notice how they aren't going to risk faction imbalance with MoP. They both get kung fu panda.

Blitzzz

Yeah, Blizzard turned the tide by giving Horde Blood Elves and Alliance purple goatmen.

Notice how they aren't going to risk faction imbalance with MoP. They both get kung fu panda.

people like attractive toons....make all imps ugly as sin and population will rebalance guaranteed!

This sounds like a fairly typical patch disaster to me. The problem of course being this may be a lot of people's first major patch disaster, which makes for really stupid timing releasing at the end of the free month.

CzarTim

The worst part about all this is I L.O.V.E. all the other WZ changes in 1.1. 50s brackets is a god send and worth the longer queues, ability has been vastly improved, and the new cool down indicator made me realize how awful the old one was.

frequency

people like attractive toons....make all imps ugly as sin and population will rebalance guaranteed!

That would require they actually make characters look different from each other. And they clearly have a ton of missing features and bugs with higher priority.
Everyone looks exactly the same right now. I don't even know why races exist.

And they backed out of the dark side corruption thing by making it an option to display the changes.

Blech!

That's easy to say, but even Blizzard messes this stuff up. Tol Barad. And that lasted for days with absolutely no punishment.

Should it have been caught? Of course. But things, even major things like this, slip through the cracks. They should have either hotfixed this or taken down the servers within an hour of the patch going live, not almost a full day later.

You can't really say that this slipped through the cracks. There were apparently multiple threads on the PTR forums about this issue and they pushed it to live anyway. What's the point of PTR testing if you're not even going to listen to the testers?

Einbroch

Banned
You can't really say that this slipped through the cracks. There were apparently multiple threads on the PTR forums about this issue and they pushed it to live anyway. What's the point of PTR testing if you're not even going to listen to the testers?

I went back 11 pages on the PTR forum and only see one thread related to this problem of imbalance. Lots of warzone and biochem talk. No turret glitch talk.

Also, players would have to get to level 50 in one week, just for the sake of testing.

zlatko

Banned
I've been trying to reroll republic but every server I try that I think may have a decent population is a ghost town after you leave Coruscant when compared to the empire that has anywhere from 150 - 200 people on any planet at peak times.

Even the GAF server struggles?

I forget the name of the one I'm on, but I haven't left Coruscant yet to see how it will fair out. Last night I just got my airship so I'm about there to see how it goes. Luckily for me I'm more concerned about the single player stuff until I hit 50. At 50 I'll dabble in whatever before I start my 2nd character I'm sure. My time isn't bountiful for the game, so playing it as a SP experience with some co-op with a buddy who got it as well is just suiting me fine.

Does this game use all servers for PvP? I'll be fine with that if it's the case. I'm on a PVP server with heavy population times when I log on at night, so hopefully it'll be one of the luckier ones.

About Ilum on the official forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1790513#post1790513

Update #1

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on an official response to these issues (we used the term "potential" during our initial investigating, and have now removed the wording on the title of this thread) and we will be posting it soon. Please understand that these issues require some time to investigate and we are making sure that we provide you all with the most updated information in our official response.

We understand that some of you may be frustrated, but we ask for your patience on this to give us time to respond with thorough developer input.

Thank you to those of you that have been posting constructively in this thread.

We will have a response shortly.

zlatko

Banned
So what's this game breaking bug you are all talking about with patch 1.1?

Also, what is the best companion for my JK Sentinel? T7, my lady pal, or C2 N2?

I just got C2 last night, but he has no equipment on, but saw he has healing. Not sure if I should just unequip T7's stuff and give it to C2...

gatti-man

So the chances are they're not going to do anything about the extra valour and just hope it blows over?

This really sucks. I don't PvP really, but it directly affects me in that the Republic population is already low enough as is. There are 2 50's from our guild who already said they're quitting over this in this thread :-\

It sucks for empire too. I love pvp and this just makes breaking into lvl 50 pvp seem even more ridiculous. Im not quiting but i think i will just pve for a while and not pvp until this blows over.

Thoraxes

I wonder if Bioware will learn about testing their content patches from this. They seem like they're really set on getting things pushed out quickly, but they don't seem to take the time or do the extensive testing that other companies do.

Ken

3a302c09.png

Awesome.

I for one appreciate the speed at which Bioware attempted to roll out this patch...I always hated the long wait between the announcement of a patch and its implementation in WoW. But I'm no developer...perhaps it just can't be helped.

I went back 11 pages on the PTR forum and only see one thread related to this problem of imbalance. Lots of warzone and biochem talk. No turret glitch talk.

Also, players would have to get to level 50 in one week, just for the sake of testing.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=161969

That was the thread alluded to on the official forums. I didn't check for myself, which is why I said apparently. And if you have new lvl 50 content on the PTRs, it is in your best interest to have pre-mades available for people to test with.

Thoraxes

Another thing they should do is make a suggestion section on the board, because the PTR threads are basically whining and pleading for certain things to happen and people that are angry that X Problem hasn't been dealt with yet. There's almost no relevancy to thae actual PTR, not to mention the lack of premades severely hurts the 'testability' of the game on the PTR in the first place.

Quick question for GAF Empire folks.

I know on the rep side, it's near impossible to find groups for heroics from tatooine and later (lv25ish or so), and I don't even bother trying to get groups for bonus quests.

How is group hunting on emp side? Or is this server just dying out?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is completely wrong or you just have no idea how to play an Operative.
No it is 100% correct. Concealment spec Operative is borderline useless in PvP until 36. They really dont even come into their own until Acid Blade at 40. The most DPS Operatives bring to Voidstar or Alderaan is Corrosive Dart which keeps people from capping nodes. In Huttball, they are nothing more than wounded gazelle killers or if the team is coordinated innzone scorers.

Thoraxes

Quick question for GAF Empire folks.

I know on the rep side, it's near impossible to find groups for heroics from tatooine and later (lv25ish or so), and I don't even bother trying to get groups for bonus quests.

How is group hunting on emp side? Or is this server just dying out?
I'm 26 on the Emp side, and it's definitely much better than the Republic side. I'm not sure how long that lasts though.

Jira

I for one appreciate the speed at which Bioware attempted to roll out this patch...I always hated the long wait between the announcement of a patch and its implementation in WoW. But I'm no developer...perhaps it just can't be helped.

This isn't going to be a common thing. The content they patched in today has been in development since before launch and they just didn't get it out in time. Similarly, Blizzard did the same thing with Maraudon after WoW launched.

Top Bottom