• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Derrick01

Banned
So I'm letting my sub lapse. I really liked the class quest stuff, but everything in between just felt like filler to me. It's not a bad game, but I spent too many years playing WoW to really get into it.

Yup I was able to put up with it the 1st time through but it's just too much now. I wish I knew the IA story was the best before hand because there's no way I'll be able to go from 22 to 50 in the 9 or 10 days I have left on my subscription.

Azzurri

THe problem with Illum PvP is Republic are way underpopulated. I know on my server Imp's out number Reps 3/1. They need to give repubs some incentives to even things out

Dunlop

Does this game install anything on the PC itself?

My computer went boom this morning, so I installed Windows 7. Not using the upgrade option but it keeps all the old files in a separate folder.

being the geek I am (and a 20 hour download via dsl), I had my wife attempt to redownload the game while I am at work and there was there was nothing needed to be done after she downloaded the client from SWTOR, it advised her there was already a copy of the game. She was able to login to where it said there was a maintenance going on.

Also I will fucking guaranty that it was SWTOR that killed my PC, that game kicks the shit out of it every thing I quit to the point where I cannot even alt-tab for about 2 mins. I pray there is optimization for this game in the future

Hopefully Windows 7 64 > Vista 64

Einbroch

Banned
I want to reiterate how dumb I think splitting the player base into "factions" is. Especially for PvP purposes.

I know... lore and all that. But whatever. There are so many issues with balance and player scarcity and splitting content creation resources.

This. So hard. I hate two factions. I LOVE guild/group related "rivalries".

I remember in Ragnarok Online I was part of the second largest guild on the server. The largest guild was always in control of all the castles and we could never defeat them. We hated them, they hated us and everyone else. So we teamed up with a smaller group of good players and stormed their castle and took it over. We absorbed that smaller guild into ours and became top dogs for a while until they eventually took it back from us. There are countless other stories from Guild Wars, EverQuest, and the like for me. I'm sure other people can attest to EVE and such.

Player made conflicts and fights were always and forever will be superior to developer forced factions. You have the freedom to choose which side/which people you fight for, and thus you are invested. I don't give a shit about Horde or Alliance, Empire of Republic. I care about my guild and friends. Throw in the population imbalances and class/race/ability differences and it's just a nightmare. It's so stupid.

gatti-man

Yup I was able to put up with it the 1st time through but it's just too much now. I wish I knew the IA story was the best before hand because there's no way I'll be able to go from 22 to 50 in the 9 or 10 days I have left on my subscription.

I just dont get this criticism. If you dont like the filler then dont listen to it or do it. Pvp, fp, and main quest through the game. Its not like swtor is a one trick pony.

Blitzzz

Does this game install anything on the PC itself?

My computer went boom this morning, so I installed Windows 7. Not using the upgrade option but it keeps all the old files in a separate folder.

being the geek I am (and a 20 hour download via dsl), I had my wife attempt to redownload the game while I am at work and there was there was nothing needed to be done after she downloaded the client from SWTOR, it advised her there was already a copy of the game. She was able to login to where it said there was a maintenance going on.

Also I will fucking guaranty that it was SWTOR that killed my PC, that game kicks the shit out of it every thing I quit to the point where I cannot even alt-tab for about 2 mins. I pray there is optimization for this game in the future

Hopefully Windows 7 64 > Vista 64

You just need the game folder. Don't need to reinstall anything. I've copied the directory from one computer to another and it launches right away

Alex

I've been spitting venom at hard factions ever since WoW launched. Stupidest fucking thing ever.

Anyhow, all they can do now is do simple things, perhaps through legacy for having a varied character usage, free transfers, etc. My guess is they'll just do what Blizzard did and ignore it until the game tools can invalidate it down the line.

Interfectum

the faction shit in most MMOs is pointless.

alliance vs horde... lol useless.

"I hate you horde and I will show you that in a game of capture the flag!"

Actually, ranged aoes work in the spawns... and yea this seems to be going down the road Aion did. Incentives for the low pop side should be coming soon lol

Stolen from the forums:

wow hehe, thats a big mess

I've been spitting venom at hard factions ever since WoW launched. Stupidest fucking thing ever.

Anyhow, all they can do now is do simple things, perhaps through legacy for having a varied character usage, free transfers, etc. My guess is they'll just do what Blizzard did and ignore it until the game tools can invalidate it down the line.

Having a single faction has lots of disadvantages tied to it as well, and usually just kills any form of world pvp. Allowing players to switch sides at a whim would be the only fix but outside of that imbalances in pop always murder world pvp, reason why instanced pvp is always the more popular choice.

FLEABttn

Banned

Nevermind that alliance and horde were working towards a common goal for literally the entire time the game has been out.

Faction separation is something that needs to die in whatever the next generation of MMO is.

Darklord

Banned
1.1 has completely broken the game for me. Massive load time, got in and my graphics drivers kept crashing. Had to restart my PC. Went in again and had a full lock up on loading. Fucking awesome.

Holy hell BW.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=193091

For people who don't want to follow the link, Imps are getting battlemaster within hours because there's a bug that allows them to farm the turrets in the republic base for 150 valor each with no diminishing returns. Of course a lot of servers are so imp heavy the republic can't even fight back since they're camping the damn taxi. Everyone get ready for valor roll back.

EDIT: People on the forums are reporting 800 to 2000 valor per minute.

Alex

The only real boon to faction splits is for world PvP, something that these traditional MMO's do horribly. Makes no sense why largely PvE/instanced PvP type games would want to cut their prospects to ribbons.

1.1 has completely broken the game for me. Massive load time, got in and my graphics drivers kept crashing. Had to restart my PC. Went in again and had a full lock up on loading. Fucking awesome.

Really? My loading actually seemed to get quicker. I went to new planets to make sure it just wasn't some ol' caching (thoguh I haven't played since rebooting) and it's like half of what it used to be, for some reason.

Oddly though, the anti aliasing option in game performs best when maxed. :lol I turned it off and my FPS took a dive, turned it back on and it went back up. Funny.

Brackets for PvP are a lot more fun for us slowpokes, had a good time in the few I did but Operative doesn't seem especially built for PvP healing. Honestly, I can do more damage as a healer than I can healing throughput, especially in burst situations (ie; all PvP) since the energy system (which I do love for healing, though) is set to be slow n' steady wins the race. Should prob just respec to DPS if I wanna goof in Warzones. Need damned dual specs already.

Ken

Holy hell BW.

For people who don't want to follow the link, Imps are getting battlemaster within hours because there's a bug that allows them to farm the turrets in the republic base for 150 valor each with no diminishing returns. Of course a lot of servers are so imp heavy the republic can't even fight back since they're camping the damn taxi. Everyone get ready for valor roll back.

So basically more incentive to roll on Imp side.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Holy hell BW.

Yeah, it'll get rolled back. To be honest, they should shut Ilum down for now, roll back that Valor and either scrap the planet or really sit down and work on it. Faction Imbalances will always exist (even back to people's beloved DAoC) and can effect world PvP, people are too wussy for that shit now. It needs to be tightly controlled.

Holy hell BW.

Turrets shouldn't be worth Valor lol, how dumb. They admitted Illum wasn't finished at launch and it got almost no testing in Beta because of it. It's going to be a constant mess of them tuning Illum to a playble state *sigh*

So basically more incentive to roll on Imp side.

Well if there's no valor roll back may as well kiss a good number of subscribers goodbye, myself included. I've been one of the more supportive posters for this game but if BW doesn't fix this nonsense fast, I'm likely done. The fact they didn't anticipate this during the design and testing phases is beyond me.

Well if there's no valor roll back may as well kiss a good number of subscribers goodbye, myself included. I've been one of the more supportive posters for this game but if BW doesn't fix this nonsense fast, I'm likely done. The fact they didn't anticipate this during the design and testing phases is beyond me.

Illum wasn't tested, which is the major source of all these problems

Ken

I'd normally assume there'd be a rollback but seeing as how some credit dupers are apparently just getting suspended and not having their credits removed, it's difficult to assume BW will do anything. Hopefully they'll rollback but eh.

Einbroch

Banned
Turrets shouldn't be worth Valor lol, how dumb. They admitted Illum wasn't finished at launch and it got almost no testing in Beta because of it. It's going to be a constant mess of them tuning Illum to a playble state *sigh*

They should just can it for now, work on it so it's amazing, and release it in 1.2.

But they need something to keep the players from leaving on the 20th. Bugs happen, and it's understandable. Hell, anyone from WoW can tell you about the Tol Barad bridge jumping glitch that gave players thousands of honor every day.

That, however, doesn't seem nearly as bad as this. And given BW's stubbornness on the rollback issue, who knows.

frequency

Weird. I didn't expect so many people to also dislike factions. I thought a bunch of people would be yelling at me for being stupid and/or finding other creative ways to berate me.

That turret thing sounds so bad.
Has BioWare acknowledge the faction population imbalances?

Yup, and WoW invented factions in MMO's.

Sadly, sarcasm doesn't work well when you miss the point entirely.

The point was never that WoW invented factions, but that the reason why SWTOR has a 99% identical implementation is because of the devs' obsession with recreating WoW circa 2007. Even the parts of WoW that were dumb and wrong.

Sadly, sarcasm doesn't work well when you miss the point entirely.

The point was never that WoW invented factions, but that the reason why SWTOR has a 99% identical implementation is because of the devs' obsession with recreating WoW circa 2007. Even the parts of WoW that were dumb and wrong.

Hey it's the same post you have been making over and over again for over 6 months now!

Macattk15

Well ... left 3 Imperial 30's behind to reroll Republic on a populated PvP server. Rolled Republic mainly due to faster PvP queues.

Hope this works out ... as my last server was basically DEAD. 35 50's on at 6pm. I'd check other servers and there would be over 300 ....

frequency

Well ... left 3 Imperial 30's behind to reroll Republic on a populated PvP server. Rolled Republic mainly due to faster PvP queues.

Hope this works out ... as my last server was basically DEAD. 35 50's on at 6pm. I'd check other servers and there would be over 300 ....

It's kind of disconcerting that we already have dead servers. I doubt they'll merge anytime soon because that's like publicly saying "we don't have as many players as we thought we would."

Doooooom and glooooooom!

Einbroch

Banned

While you might have a little bit faster queues, Huttball doesn't care what faction you are, so if there are enough Emps queued you'll still be able to PVP even with no Pubs.

Which I think was actually a pretty dang good idea on their part.

Heysoos

I honestly had no intentions of doing this, but seeing this huge mess I'm very much considering not renewing.

Republic Perspective of Ilum. (Stolen from SWTOR forums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TL0kDP_Cexo#t=9s

Won

Holy hell BW.

Everything about the Ilum change sounds amazing.

People apparantly can't even port out of it. lol

Bioware falling flat on there face with the Ilum changes doesn't surprise me, its going to take some actual thought and redesigning towards a clear goal to salvage the map. If anything, I'm hopeful that the increased exposure and outcry to its problems will light a fire under them to do something sooner rather then later.

The turret thing is god awful though, I am shocked the servers are even still up atm. They need to hotfix that asap, and figure out how they want to handle those who've already cracked rank 100 valor(some already have). I don't see how they can let people keep the valor, I think they need to bite the bullet here and roll it back.

HBroward

Why can't they just make it kill or die 30 times? That seems like it would solve getting republics to show up, but they would still have to implement something to counter the valor imbalance it would cause between factions.

Why can't they just make it kill or die 30 times? That seems like it would solve getting republics to show up, but they would still have to implement something to counter the valor imbalance it would cause between factions.

Wouldn't that just make it advantageous for players to go to Illum to just die and leave instead of trying to group up and form actual pvp groups?

Bioware falling flat on there face with the Ilum changes doesn't surprise me, its going to take some actual thought and redesigning towards a clear goal to salvage the map.

That seems to be the problem here. Also with the influx of Mythic devs and their abundant PvP expertise as displayed by WAR, it'll probably take a while before PvP makes any sense.

HBroward

Wouldn't that just make it advantageous for players to go to Illum to just die and leave instead of trying to group up and form actual pvp groups?

Yes, but they wouldn't be gaining valor by just showing up to die. They would still have to organize to stand a chance of killing people.

Heysoos

Bioware falling flat on there face with the Ilum changes doesn't surprise me, its going to take some actual thought and redesigning towards a clear goal to salvage the map. If anything, I'm hopeful that the increased exposure and outcry to its problems will light a fire under them to do something sooner rather then later.

The turret thing is god awful though, I am shocked the servers are even still up atm. They need to hotfix that asap, and figure out how they want to handle those who've already cracked rank 100 valor(some already have). I don't see how they can let people keep the valor, I think they need to bite the bullet here and roll it back.

They probably won't. Or at least I'll be very surprised if they do. People that were able to exploit this are very likely going to keep their rank and Battlemaster gear.

Lol, So much fun.

On a serious note, I can see why people wouldn't want to PvP anymore.

The thing is, people that are stuck dying there CAN'T leave. You basically have to abandon your character and go play another or something else.

Top Bottom