• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Guild summit thing in march

http://bit.ly/Ayu2Su

Are these things QA things ever under some nda?

I just want hoods on helmets. They really ruined revan's mask on moment in the fp.

Also hood toggle and maybe some JK crowd control improvements.

Also make the game perform better. Game freaks out during taxi rides on the bigger planets. Can't imagine flying mounts ever appearing here.

Any of the gaf guild leaders get an invite?

Enosh

I have a question and i hope someone can help me:

Im looking for an armor set that kinda looks like the royal guard from the movies.
The hat is sold on Belsavis but i cant find the rest, i've seen someone on the fleet walking around with the entire set. I also dont have any luck finding anything on Torhead.

Thanks
screenshot2012-02-011835.jpg
this thingy?
chest is from corelia commendations and the legs were the sith marauder final class quest reward
also have the matching gloves in cargo (or at least they look like they match ^^), no idea where I got those
plus a headpiece that kinda looks like it belongs with the rest from D7 final boss

Sounds like something up with your server. Standard pop server on Empire side on taro blood usually has about 200 empire side, even Rep which has less has 100-150 on at the same time.

Outside of the exploit day, Illum has always been dead, the planet is a mess design wise so it's always been dead. Tat pvp though usually has people doing it, but it's generally only a place guilds hit up since it's not friendly for a person to go in solo.
Hey! Another gaffer on tarro, sounds like you're imp though.. Ilum is quite deserted except for the 10 imps patrolling around mid. It really sucks even as a stealth class I can't do my ilum daily. I can easily take someone 1v1 but there's always 3 on me instantly.. Heck I can't even finish the cast to pick one up before 2 are on me. Ilum dailys/weeklys are imp exclusive.

TheYanger

Trooper Act I is great, but it has a problem in that they wrap up every thread at the end of that and start a new story with the rest of the Acts, and that story is supposedly garbage (I only started Act II, and it's pretty damn boring).

I've been enjoying JK. Feels the most KOTORish, which makes sense, as it was supposedly adapted from a proposal for KOTOR3. Not everyone agrees, however.

Jedi Consular starts out boring, IMO, but supposedly gets a lot more interesting.

yeah, trooper dives off a cliff after act 1. Act 2 and 3 are summed up by: Story is jank. Missions themselves are cool. The final missions in both acts were awesome, but you can sum the plots up by just being any action movie ever. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that, except the 'action' is you playing the game, which all of the classes already do, so having a flimsy "hey bad guy X is doing Y and you need to stop him" plot seems paper thin. It's my main so I played it how I wanted to answer questions (fairly neutral overall), and in hindsight going dark seems like the only way to maintain any level of entertainment from the story. There are definitely some options to be a REAL jackass.

So none of the storylines ever intertwine or anything?

A bit disappointing... They really could have done the animatrix thing, where jk has the main arc, but all the 'we got intel for your mission' sidestory stuff happens with smug and trooper and personal stuff mixed in. And consular... just chills =)

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they used a remote access program to do crew skill missions from work. What software was that again? I have setup RDP and used logmein but thought this was a different one.

Milly79

So, yeah. Can anyone post their mumble settings? It seemed like you guys could barely hear me when I had SWTOR minimized, but if I was in game and asked I got no response. I have my mic volume turned all the way up in the sound panel and I have very little blue set up in the audio wizard (where it talks about speaking softly and whatnot). Key I'm using is ~ and their Turtle Beach x11's.
In before that's the problem.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they used a remote access program to do crew skill missions from work. What software was that again? I have setup RDP and used logmein but thought this was a different one.
Was called teamviewer. I dl'd it on my phone but I have yet to use it.. So not sure how well it works.

erragal

So, yeah. Can anyone post their mumble settings? It seemed like you guys could barely hear me when I had SWTOR minimized, but if I was in game and asked I got no response. I have my mic volume turned all the way up in the sound panel and I have very little blue set up in the audio wizard (where it talks about speaking softly and whatnot). Key I'm using is ~ and their Turtle Beach x11's.
In before that's the problem.

You need to make sure voice chat programs are run as administrator when you start them up or push to talk keys will not work with TOR.

Has anyone else started having an issue where every 5 minutes or so, the game freezes for a good 2-5 seconds at a time then continues as normal? I've never had this issue, I have a feeling it's a result of the latest patch. It's the only thing that's changed.

Milly79

Has anyone else started having an issue where every 5 minutes or so, the game freezes for a good 2-5 seconds at a time then continues as normal? I've never had this issue, I have a feeling it's a result of the latest patch. It's the only thing that's changed.

Happened to me a few times yesterday in a Flashpoint.

StMeph

What exactly happens at 50? I'm at 49 now with the class quest done, so after I reach the big 5-0, what is the normal progression?

PVE: hard mode FPs to collect enough gear for Ops? It seems like there's an 8-man and 16-man, is that for BOTH, or one of each? And they have a normal/hard mode as well? Where along the PVE gear tiers do crafted purples with an Augment slot fit?

PVP: grind 200/200 commendations for a random bag? How does one get the better (Champion, Battlemaster, etc) tokens?

Milly79

What exactly happens at 50? I'm at 49 now with the class quest done, so after I reach the big 5-0, what is the normal progression?

PVE: hard mode FPs to collect enough gear for Ops? It seems like there's an 8-man and 16-man, is that for BOTH, or one of each? And they have a normal/hard mode as well? Where along the PVE gear tiers do crafted purples with an Augment slot fit?

You need to do the Ilum story and Belsavis bonus series first to unlock all of the dailies. Then you need to purchase some level 51 (I believe) mods for your gear with the daily commendations to start doing HM FPs.

Then you start doing HMs and transition to Ops. I believe 8 man is HM and 16 is reg for ops.

PVP: grind 200/200 commendations for a random bag? How does one get the better (Champion, Battlemaster, etc) tokens?
Well there are Ilum pve dailys and belsalvis dailys that reward epic mods and enhancements. They also give daily commendations that can purchase epic barrels/hits and armoring. So full orange gear with those is a great way to prep for hardmodes and ops.

markatisu

You need to do the Ilum story and Belsavis bonus series first to unlock all of the dailies. Then you need to purchase some level 51 (I believe) mods for your gear with the daily commendations to start doing HM FPs.

Then you start doing HMs and transition to Ops. I believe 8 man is HM and 16 is reg for ops.

This probably sounds stupid but in PVE do you queue up for the 8 and 16 or like the fp on lower levels do you have to have the group already assembled?

Milly79

This probably sounds stupid but in PVE do you queue up for the 8 and 16 or like the fp on lower levels do you have to have the group already assembled?

I'd assume you are talking PUG vs. premade? It works either way. You can do it with a guild or PUG it. Sorry if I misunderstood what you're asking.

This may help a lot with fresh 50's:

Clicky

markatisu

I'd assume you are talking PUG vs. premade? It works either way. You can do it with a guild or PUG it. Sorry if I misunderstood what you're asking.

Kind of, I meant do you have to do the looking for group thing or do you opt to the do the mission and it matches you with 7 or 15 other people?

TheYanger

A bit disappointing... They really could have done the animatrix thing, where jk has the main arc, but all the 'we got intel for your mission' sidestory stuff happens with smug and trooper and personal stuff mixed in. And consular... just chills =)

I dunno about MAJOR overlap, but they all definitely take place simultaneously. For instance (These are NOT real spoilers) I know that as an IA they tell you that Watcher One is on another assignment early on, and similarly early on in the JK storyline you meet and kill Watcher One.

Miletius

Beaten.

There are also (non class parts) of the story that overlap. For example, things that happen when you are earlier level on X side happen, and then if you play the other side and you come to that planet as a higher relative level you'll have references to how it went down on that planet at the earlier 'point in the game.'

Patryn

I dunno about MAJOR overlap, but they all definitely take place simultaneously. For instance (These are NOT real spoilers) I know that as an IA they tell you that Watcher One is on another assignment early on, and similarly early on in the JK storyline you meet and kill Watcher One.

There's also the fact that the Republic FPs Taral V and Maelstrom Prison take place before the Imperial FP Foundry, and they all connect.

Moaradin

Some things in the story intertwine. For example, a companion might talk about how they used to hang out with another class character. Just a small example I've seen before.

Giolon

And why should the JK be so special as to get the main arc?

What they've done is just fine, and when you play multiple classes, you do see how their roles and objectives all start to fit together as you reach the end. This is true for both sides!

daoster

So I have a question...I have a Security Key attached to my account...I feel the need to root my my current Android phone...I've heard people who disable their Security Key can't activate it on their phones ever again? They need to have the actual security key chain?

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

What they've done is just fine, and when you play multiple classes, you do see how their roles and objectives all start to fit together as you reach the end. This is true for both sides!

Ah... so they do? Somehow.

That would make more sense for future expansions. So in the very end in the history books... "This team of 4 different guys with different ideals, saved/destroyed the republic".

Patryn

I don't know why, but playing the JK, it definitely has the feeling of it being the "main" storyline.

This is backed up by the art and ads for the game. What class is front and center? The Jedi Knight.

I expect they thought it would be the most popular class.

In fact, I have a pet theory that part of the reason it feels like a "lesser" class is because Bioware feared that it would be too popular and didn't want to weight things too heavily in its favor. Ooops.

I don't know why, but playing the JK, it definitely has the feeling of it being the "main" storyline.

This is backed up by the art and ads for the game. What class is front and center? The Jedi Knight.

I expect they thought it would be the most popular class.

In fact, I have a pet theory that part of the reason it feels like a "lesser" class is because Bioware feared that it would be too popular and didn't want to weight things too heavily in its favor. Ooops.

The Revan novel also seems to hint that the Jedi knight would be the main story with how it's presented. Though SW seems to have some important ties at least to the novel and story as well.

Ascendant pride is the level 50 space mission right? Cant beat that one even with all purple stuff on my ship, I just get torn apart.

Beat EV normal and got upto SOA on hard last night, we got to the last stage of him but there was only 4 of us left alive and he ended up resetting pretty quick for some buggy reason.

Got some good loots too, got a Rakata focus and gloves, columi boots and a lightsaber (not an amazing one, like the lowest raid saber you can get)

Miletius

-What gear should we have to run HM?-

Downtime you should be run dailies for 2 implants/ear (which are Rakata teir in stats). Also try and fill your orange gear with lvl 50-51 EPIC armoring/enhancements/mods/barrels. This will make your gear in between Tionese and Columi quality.
*note* If you run the dailies on both planets you can get 1 raid level epic every 5 days.

That guide seems to indicate that you need these epic slotted items to get epic slotted items of more or less the same quality. Tell me that isn't true? Hopefully I'm just reading that wrong.

Francois424

Neo Member
[ . . . ] If this is the scenario on a standard server playing as empire, i dread how its like on the light servers.

As you can see, the population is anything but healthy... and it shows on how bioware is communicating. During launch they couldn't stop talking about the massive numbers of players... after the first month was up... silence.

My old server had regulary <10 ppl on the fleet, bottoming to "2" (That was Republic Side) just some other Smuggler and me; We had a nice chat session tho.
Server was always Light Status as well and I think sometimes it went to standard on Week-ends.

Now on moved on Kaas City where it averages 30-60 ppl only on the fleet, but almost all the time, and I can't complain on the economy (except nobody selling Cybertech stuff, but working on that with my Alt).

Hopefully, this is just because the game is new, and the ppl in charge have other things to do than bother with Server population right now. Let's wait and see =)

Arcteryx

So I have a question...I have a Security Key attached to my account...I feel the need to root my my current Android phone...I've heard people who disable their Security Key can't activate it on their phones ever again? They need to have the actual security key chain?

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Yep. I was told the same thing when I had mine removed (kept hardlocking my Android). Supposedly it's only a temporary "bug", but I haven't heard any updates on it since.

daoster

Yep. I was told the same thing when I had mine removed (kept hardlocking my Android). Supposedly it's only a temporary "bug", but I haven't heard any updates on it since.

Damn...that's pretty annoying...should have held have rooted my phone first =\

Miletius

Wow does that bit where the gnome/goblin or something is crying when you cancel, so I don't really see how this is any different. Unless, of course, you are tying something completely different to this e-mail, like a personal relationship with a virtual character. If so, then part of that is on you, and the other part is on Giantbomb's editor for assuming such a connection.

Top Bottom