• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Seeing as how Bioware cannot even figure why the game runs the way it and only seems to be working on a fix for ATI users that should not surprise you

The only thing they've said they're working on with ATI is a "severe graphical glitch", so its not necessarily performance

frequency

This is totally off topic... But some people said they were having similar problems that I had with my computer.
A couple weeks ago I talked about my computer problems.
I had help today to change my motherboard. My SO walked me through it and I did some of it myself. It was a lot less complex than it looks. There weren't that many things to connect and the manual tells you everything. The only hard part was I didn't know how much of the goopy stuff to put on my CPU and putting in the memory really hurt my hands.

It was like $200 but I really hope this fixed it. I'll report back after I guess. So far it's been alright. The first time we started the computer, it didn't see some of my memory. It turns out I didn't press it down hard enough and it was only like half way in. I suck.

On a SWTOR note, does anyone else notice there's like commercials all the time now? I'm seeing all these Star Wars commercials for like drinks and a new 3D movie and they all mention the game at the end of it. Maybe we'll see a population boost with all this advertising.

This is totally off topic... But some people said they were having similar problems that I had with my computer.
I had help today to change my motherboard. My SO walked me through it and I did some of it myself. It was a lot less complex than it looks. There weren't that many things to connect and the manual tells you everything. The only hard part was I didn't know how much of the goopy stuff to put on my CPU and putting in the memory really hurt my hands.

It was like $200 but I really hope this fixed it. I'll report back after I guess. So far it's been alright. The first time we started the computer, it didn't see some of my memory. It turns out I didn't press it down hard enough and it was only like half way in. I suck.

On a SWTOR note, does anyone else notice there's like commercials all the time now? I'm seeing all these Star Wars commercials for like drinks and a new 3D movie and they all mention the game at the end of it. Maybe we'll see a population boost with all this advertising.

GJ on changing your motherboard. Its kind of enlightening the first time when you realize that is not all that hard.

My wife's computer started having similar problems to what you were experiencing as well. We changed the fan and heatsink on her cpu and it hasnt happened since.

Is/was your cpu overclocked?

gatti-man

Welcome to the addiction of hardware upgrading.

frequency

GJ on changing your motherboard. Its kind of enlightening the first time when you realize that is not all that hard.

My wife's computer started having similar problems to what you were experiencing as well. We changed the fan and heatsink on her cpu and it hasnt happened since.

Is/was your cpu overclocked?

Thank you. I'm proud of myself - even if I had help. I hope this really solved my problems.
I don't know how to overclock. I'm not even sure what it means. Pushes the limits of your computer?
It wasn't heating problems for me though. I used this program that tells me the heat of things in my computer and nothing ever went over 50C.

Welcome to the addiction of hardware upgrading.

I don't have the confidence to do it myself yet. But it certainly pushed me in the right direction. The motherboard we bought apparently has a bit of "future proofing". Meaning I can upgrade a lot of stuff if I wanted to.

Lot of SW cross promoting going on, surprised they dont advertise the game when Clone Wars airs, silly of them.

I think best they can do is put the game on sale on Origin and such once in a while soon. Know Steam sales (yea steam is big) always gave MMOs a boost whenever there was a digital sale

Tess3ract

Banned
Thank you. I'm proud of myself - even if I had help. I hope this really solved my problems.
I don't know how to overclock. I'm not even sure what it means. Pushes the limits of your computer?
It wasn't heating problems for me though. I used this program that tells me the heat of things in my computer and nothing ever went over 50C.
That's a high but decent temperature.

For example my phenom II X3 720 I overclocked from 2.8 to 3.5 (any overclock increases heat, though for this cpu, it's a slow increase until 3.8 then it gets REALLY hot) and its only 34C idle and 50C load tops.

This is also at least an easy 10fps upgrade too in some games including tor.

Overclocking is easiest with an unlocked (meaning the multiplier is able to be varied) multiplier and a decent motherboard. Sometimes for major overclocks (because of the northbridge) you'll have to mess with ram voltages and frequencies but generally not for anything minor.

gatti-man

I don't have the confidence to do it myself yet. But it certainly pushed me in the right direction. The motherboard we bought apparently has a bit of "future proofing". Meaning I can upgrade a lot of stuff if I wanted to.

If you can do a mobo swap the rest is childs play.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Lot of SW cross promoting going on, surprised they dont advertise the game when Clone Wars airs, silly of them.

I think best they can do is put the game on sale on Origin and such once in a while soon. Know Steam sales (yea steam is big) always gave MMOs a boost whenever there was a digital sale
Well if they are serious about not letting 13 year olds play the game then the show's rating, channel, and time slot include that demographic.

Nah, stock fans are simple enough - if you can do a CPU heatsink swap to a something like a Noctua DH-14, then anything else truly is childs play. ;P

I just did one of those the other day, but it was to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 or something. But yea that thing is a fucking monster, it's really pretty ridiculous how big it is.

So I was still thinking about the FPS / performance problems some more, trying to think of plausible scenarios that might cause the client to be the culprit in relation to peoples' awful FPS reports, in particular in Ilum.

I thought of one, so I figured I'd throw it out there. I don't have performance problems, so anyone who does feel free to use this information however you wish to determine if it will solve your problems.

The scenario I thought of is that the issue could be related to loading of textures / model / geometry data "on the fly" so to speak. Again this is just a wild shot in the dark, but most games often use some kind of pre-fetching scheme where they try to load in advance any assets which there's a high probability might be used in the near future. If SWTOR's scheme here is less than ideal, it may do not intelligent pre-fetching at all and just try to load things right when it needs them. So imagine the scenario where all of a sudden a new character comes into view and it needs to draw it. The art / textures / models are probably stored in a file, and it has to read that file to load the assets into memory. Most games would use some kind of scheme where if the resource wasn't loaded by the time in which your character must be drawn on this frame, they would just deal with it and draw nothing or draw your character with no textures or something so that at least the game could proceed.

If SWTOR doesn't do this (and I emphasize the if because it's really just a shot in the dark), it could actually block waiting for the resource to load from disk. This would also explain why the FPS dips happen in severe spikes.

If this were the problem, here are some things that would fix it:

1) Defragment your disk
2) Using professional level defragmention software (maybe Perfect Disk can do this?) explicitly specify that you want the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic to be at the beginning of the disk (for reasons related to the laws of physics, magnetic disks read / write data orders of magnitude more quickly when the data is at the beginning of the disk)
3) If you have a substantial amount of physical RAM, try to make a ramdisk and put your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Assets" files on that ram disk and then have the Assets folder within the installation directory be a symbolic link to your ramdisk (not going to go into details about how to do this, you're at your own risk, only do this if you know what a ramdisk, symbolic links, etc are and you feel comfortable fixing your installation package if you mess it up)
4) If you have an SSD, ignore steps 1-3 and install the game on an SSD

Teknoman

The only thing that kills my framerate (well not kills but drops it into what looks like 30s and a little under) is the high shadow setting. And even then, thats not a constant. If i'm outside at times it'll look to be 60 or so, yet inside it will usually drop around 30 and under. Just ended up leaving everything else high and shadows low.

Alex

Knockbacks in Huttball are really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I attack someone I get thrown off a platform.

Ken

Eternity Vauuuuult

558f3279.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wow, looks like in the last patch they fixed the bug I was having with the game rearranging my 3 monitor configuration every time I exited the game. Good stuff.

Also, I tested the game out last night in 3D on my projector. Holy crap, it looks awesome. Feels like being there. The only problem is it's not optimized for 3D at all so all the UI elements, nametags and dialogue trees are far back in the 3D space instead of out front where they should be so it messes with your eyes. If they can get those things fixed it'll be a fantastic game to play in 3D.

J-Rzez

Knockbacks in Huttball are really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I attack someone I get thrown off a platform.

I'm curious to see some people's action bars in huttball. It's like that is the only ability some people have on their bars, and when it fails to knock people off they just stand there, do nothing, and die. I'm also certain the majority of people don't have "pass" on their bars as well. Thankfully, the faction I rerolled to knows how to play, and we dominate WZs.

Speaking of hardware, I find it odd that for two of my friends who have SSDs with just as fast or faster connections, will load in at the same time or later than those using HDDs. This is one interesting game BioWare's created.

Lain

Knockbacks in huttball got on my nerves the first time I received one. Now, playing huttball as a Sorc instead of my IA, I love knockbacks, especially when I manage to land people on the fire or the acid.
But yeah, it sucks.

Edit: I see lots of people having my same issue, hope it'll get fixed fast/soon.

Kem0sabe

It's prime time in Europe right now, isn't it? Looking at the server status at the moment about half are standard, the rest are heavy, very heavy or full. There are no light servers. Seems the EU servers are busier than the NA servers so I'm not sure what's disheartening.

What im about to describe is only a personal experience on one of their "standard" status servers...

The server, Kellian Jarro, PVE EU, is normally standard at prime time, and on empire (the most numerous faction of the server) fleet there are at prime time at most 60 people. Flashpoint groups take over an hour to form, even if your a healer like myself and even resorting to guild mates, and thats when your able to form them, because a lot of the time you just end up giving up after 2 hours at fleet with no chance for groups.

PVP in Ilum is dead, with at most 15 people on the empire side, frequently less. PVP in Tattooine is dead with 0 people on the free pvp zone at any givin time.

And if you think rolling an alt and hoping that when you reach 50 the server will have a more healthy level 50 population... bad luck, because on every single planet theres little to no people leveling and heroics are impossible to do. :(

If this is the scenario on a standard server playing as empire, i dread how its like on the light servers.

As you can see, the population is anything but healthy... and it shows on how bioware is communicating. During launch they couldn't stop talking about the massive numbers of players... after the first month was up... silence.

Varna

If this were the problem, here are some things that would fix it:

1) Defragment your disk
2) Using professional level defragmention software (maybe Perfect Disk can do this?) explicitly specify that you want the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic to be at the beginning of the disk (for reasons related to the laws of physics, magnetic disks read / write data orders of magnitude more quickly when the data is at the beginning of the disk)
3) If you have a substantial amount of physical RAM, try to make a ramdisk and put your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Assets" files on that ram disk and then have the Assets folder within the installation directory be a symbolic link to your ramdisk (not going to go into details about how to do this, you're at your own risk, only do this if you know what a ramdisk, symbolic links, etc are and you feel comfortable fixing your installation package if you mess it up)
4) If you have an SSD, ignore steps 1-3 and install the game on an SSD

I thought this might have been the problem at first so I installed on my SSD instead of regular drive. It was the exact same thing outside of faster loading.

On my system it doesn't matter what the settings are. The same exact drops happen no matter what.

What im about to describe is only a personal experience on one of their "standard" status servers...

The server, Kellian Jarro, PVE EU, is normally standard at prime time, and on empire (the most numerous faction of the server) fleet there are at prime time at most 60 people. Flashpoint groups take over an hour to form, even if your a healer like myself and even resorting to guild mates, and thats when your able to form them, because a lot of the time you just end up giving up after 2 hours at fleet with no chance for groups.

PVP in Ilum is dead, with at most 15 people on the empire side, frequently less. PVP in Tattooine is dead with 0 people on the free pvp zone at any givin time.

And if you think rolling an alt and hoping that when you reach 50 the server will have a more healthy level 50 population... bad luck, because on every single planet theres little to no people leveling and heroics are impossible to do. :(

If this is the scenario on a standard server playing as empire, i dread how its like on the light servers.

As you can see, the population is anything but healthy... and it shows on how bioware is communicating. During launch they couldn't stop talking about the massive numbers of players... after the first month was up... silence.

Sounds like something up with your server. Standard pop server on Empire side on taro blood usually has about 200 empire side, even Rep which has less has 100-150 on at the same time.

Outside of the exploit day, Illum has always been dead, the planet is a mess design wise so it's always been dead. Tat pvp though usually has people doing it, but it's generally only a place guilds hit up since it's not friendly for a person to go in solo.

Kem0sabe

So... how would y'all rank class stories?

From what I gather it's something like IA ...... Inq. How does it sort out in the middle?

Can only comment on those i have played. Scoundrel to the end of chapter 1, Sage to the end of chapter 1, operative to the end of chapter 1 and Sorcerer to level 50.

Operative (james bond baby) is by far the best story so far, followed by the scoundrel (hey im playing uncharted again!) then at the bottom, being equally horrible the sage (lets find a magic macgufin for our master) and sorcerer (who the fuck wrote this shit after chapter 1?)

Patryn

From what I gather it's something like IA ...... Inq. How does it sort out in the middle?

Trooper Act I is great, but it has a problem in that they wrap up every thread at the end of that and start a new story with the rest of the Acts, and that story is supposedly garbage (I only started Act II, and it's pretty damn boring).

I've been enjoying JK. Feels the most KOTORish, which makes sense, as it was supposedly adapted from a proposal for KOTOR3. Not everyone agrees, however.

Jedi Consular starts out boring, IMO, but supposedly gets a lot more interesting.

erragal

It's very subjective. From what I've experienced i would rank them like this for pure entertainment purposes (Keep in mind I love absurdity):

1. Dark Side Trooper (Warcrimes, throwing people under the bus, the darkside trooper is the most evil character in this game)
2. Dark Side Smuggler (With the caveat that both VA's are terrible but the actual plot has been really fun to follow...as long as my character isn't talking)
3. Imperial Agent (Playing this one somewhat back and forth depending on the responses. It's interesting and has some neat story beats but can be very serious/dry at times)
4. Dark Side Bounty Hunter - EDIT: The least serious of all the stories by far and decent enough.
5. Dark Side Inquisitor
6. Dark Side Warrior

Not all of them I've played myself but I've gotten to experience a large amount of all those stories. Strangely female warrior voice acting is by far the best in the game but the story itself is extremely straightforward and lacking anything 'special'. Inquisitor actually has a lot of really fun moments and the female VA has some great delivery on sarcastic lines; not sure why people are so down on it maybe most people don't like silliness in their stories?

StMeph

Finished the Imperial Agent class quest line last night, and felt it was rather anticlimactic. The high point for me would have been in Act 2 with all of the hallucinations and sense of being totally isolated from anyone else in Imp Intel or SIS. Act 3 by contrast just felt like a linear fetch quest chain.

What the hell was discovered on Voss, in the end? A little history, but it felt like filler, given that it had little-to-no impact on what was happening elsewhere. It was totally disconnected from Corellia, and the build-up to Corellia was meandering and unfocused.

The ending felt like just another quest resolution. A cutscene executes. Return to the game. Nothing's really any different. They could have thrown in a written Epilogue and/or some sort of skippable ending credits with the Star Wars theme or something. Make it feel a little more finite.

I suppose I just expected more with all of the hype.

Kem0sabe

Not all of them I've played myself but I've gotten to experience a large amount of all those stories. Strangely female warrior voice acting is by far the best in the game but the story itself is extremely straightforward and lacking anything 'special'. Inquisitor actually has a lot of really fun moments and the female VA has some great delivery on sarcastic lines; not sure why people are so down on it maybe most people don't like silliness in their stories?

Having played a dark side inquisitor to the end i have to say that most of the hate, at least the hate thats coming from my corner, relates to how the story went down hill after chapter 1.

The chapter 1 finish was kinda awesome, and the campy evil through the start of the game is pretty great, but then on chapter 2 and 3 the story just breaks apart, the writing, the pacing, everything feels disjointed as if it was written for different quests and not supposed to follow a story line.

aett

The only character I've played past level 12 is BH, and the story is pretty dull. Not bad, but it's all "go here and get him", "go there and kill them". At least the characters (except Torian) are all interesting and I love the female BH VA.

I agree that both of the Smuggler VAs are pretty lame and suck some enjoyment out of the story, or at least what little I played of it. I'm looking forward to playing a dark Trooper -- it sounds like playing as a Renegade FemShep.

Dunlop

Did my first complete EV run last night, was pretty fun although the loot gods were not kind to me.

Then off to Karruga's Palace (?) and wiped to that Rancor for about an hour, we got him down to 10% before he enraged on that attempt we had a DPS down for a while.

A couple of other close calls, but we were always a man down. If we had a full roster stay alive we probably could have downed him but it would have been close...which I find strange for a first boss, the rest of the instance must be brutal

Patryn

The only character I've played past level 12 is BH, and the story is pretty dull. Not bad, but it's all "go here and get him", "go there and kill them". At least the characters (except Torian) are all interesting and I love the female BH VA.

I agree that both of the Smuggler VAs are pretty lame and suck some enjoyment out of the story, or at least what little I played of it. I'm looking forward to playing a dark Trooper -- it sounds like playing as a Renegade FemShep.

Fun fact: Jennifer Hale voices the Female Trooper.

So, yeah.... you can totally play the Trooper as FemShep.

MedIC86

I have a question and i hope someone can help me:

Im looking for an armor set that kinda looks like the royal guard from the movies.
The hat is sold on Belsavis but i cant find the rest, i've seen someone on the fleet walking around with the entire set. I also dont have any luck finding anything on Torhead.

Thanks

I have a question and i hope someone can help me:

Im looking for an armor set that kinda looks like the royal guard from the movies.
The hat is sold on Belsavis but i cant find the rest, i've seen someone on the fleet walking around with the entire set. I also dont have any luck finding anything on Torhead.

Thanks

Yea I've seen several players with the full set in PVP but never knew where they got it. Think it's medium armor though :(

Guild summit thing in march

http://bit.ly/Ayu2Su

Are these things QA things ever under some nda?

I just want hoods on helmets. They really ruined revan's mask on moment in the fp.

Also hood toggle and maybe some JK crowd control improvements.

Also make the game perform better. Game freaks out during taxi rides on the bigger planets. Can't imagine flying mounts ever appearing here.

Top Bottom