• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
People are crazy, I was hoping someone had!

Also, how do I only sell one of a thing? I have 83 denebrillan star silks but want to sell them 5 at a time or so.

lol

I think you have to hold down shift and then click and drag the item to break up the stack.

People are crazy, I was hoping someone had!

Also, how do I only sell one of a thing? I have 83 denebrillan star silks but want to sell them 5 at a time or so.

Get ready to laugh.

Hold shift and drag the item a little. A split-item window will pop up. Choose how many you want to sell and put it in the window.

Be careful here, because by doing this it will also add the item to the chat window. There's no way around this. When you see peole spamming stuff like [Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron] in /1, it's because of this idiotic bug.

Won

You need to use the right mouse button instead the left one to drag, if you want to avoid posting it into the chat I think.

Milly79

I may unsub... There's no point in me playing if I can't play without flickering which was supposedly fixed with a patch, but it's just horrible. I did an entire EV raid last night with it and it was unbearable. 6870 is my card and others are reporting it still happening to them. Didn't happen on my 9400m so I'm really unsure of what to do anymore.

I may unsub... There's no point in me playing if I can't play without flickering which was supposedly fixed with a patch, but it's just horrible. I did an entire EV raid last night with it and it was unbearable. 6870 is my card and others are reporting it still happening to them. Didn't happen on my 9400m so I'm really unsure of what to do anymore.

Interesting, that definitely stopped happening to me a few patches ago. Is it the (extremely quick) white flash?

Milly79

No, that was fixed for me when I had the 9400m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEjydgZKxo&list=UUT31LlQiELQXp08Tc25fsog&index=1&feature=plcp

You can see it happening, but the video is quick. I would upload the other I took, but it's over a gig.

I don't think that's artificating, but then again I'm not very good with GPU technical terms. I'm in the process of D/Ling MW2 to see if it does it there. If it does, I guess I have a faulty GPU. If not, then it's just SWTOR.

Jbird34

Any Republic GAF'ers that ran the EV last night we are getting close to having enough people on to finish the Infernal One so if you read this get on we don't want to leave anyone out

No, that was fixed for me when I had the 9400m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEjydgZKxo&list=UUT31LlQiELQXp08Tc25fsog&index=1&feature=plcp

You can see it happening, but the video is quick. I would upload the other I took, but it's over a gig.

I don't think that's artificating, but then again I'm not very good with GPU technical terms. I'm in the process of D/Ling MW2 to see if it does it there. If it does, I guess I have a faulty GPU. If not, then it's just SWTOR.

Yea that's weird. Are you overclocked at all by any chance or have a custom graphics profile? Newest drivers is a given I assume.

bjb

Banned
Fuck this game got boring fast.

Cleared NM KP & EV two weeks and the majority of my guild has quit. We're the second major PvE Guild on our server to cancel subs.

Just really nothing to do and the Operatons simply aren't fun anymore.

Cleared NM KP & EV two weeks and the majority of my guild has quit. We're the second major PvE Guild on our server to cancel subs.

It's funny, I haven't even done a single operation and barely turned 50, but I've known this was going to be a problem for quite a while now. I mean all you need to do is look at the raid progression from the outside and it's painfully obvious. The only raid progression in the game is basically progression from normal mode to hard mode. But it's still the exact same place. Furthermore, there is no attunement or unlocking that needs to be done. It's just like "Patch Notes: New Operation in the game" and bam everyone can just willy nilly set foot in there and start killing shit. This is no way to make content last a long time.

Hard mode doesn't even feel that much harder, it's almost exactly the same encounter but with an enrage timer.

What kept the endgame WoW raiding scene healthy for so long was progression. I mean back in the BC days, when you first hit max level, you had to get your Kara keys, and that was already by itself not an easy task. It's sure as hell wasn't something that everyone in the game would have done within a couple days. But it didn't even stop there, you had to farm Kara for a while to build up gear, and then you could do heroics to get various keys. After potentially MONTHS, you were finally strong enough to do Serpentshrine, then a very sharp increase in difficulty to Tempest Keep, then Hyjal and finally Black Temple.

This was no joke, it could easily be a year before you would even be permitted by the game to step foot into Black Temple.

Call it a grind if you want, but that's what keep's people tied to MMOs, is the grind. Always having something to look forward to.

As it stands, all they're doing is just releasing new flashpoints and operations, unlocking it for everyone in the damn game on day 1, and on day 2 it's beaten.

There's no sense of accomplishment. Nothing to look forward to. On top of that, the gear progression is pretty weak, and individual specific pieces aren't as important enough to your success that it requires you to keep going back and farming earlier operations once you can clear it.

the same applies for other WoW expansions, not just BC, but I use BC as an example because it's the progression requirements that I remember most clearly. But it was always there.

CzarTim

Are there any sites with accurate loot lists for FPs yet?

d48wF.png

It's funny, I haven't even done a single operation and barely turned 50, but I've known this was going to be a problem for quite a while now. I mean all you need to do is look at the raid progression from the outside and it's painfully obvious. The only raid progression in the game is basically progression from normal mode to hard mode. But it's still the exact same place. Furthermore, there is no attunement or unlocking that needs to be done. It's just like "Patch Notes: New Operation in the game" and bam everyone can just willy nilly set foot in there and start killing shit. This is no way to make content last a long time.

Hard mode doesn't even feel that much harder, it's almost exactly the same encounter but with an enrage timer.

What kept the endgame WoW raiding scene healthy for so long was progression. I mean back in the BC days, when you first hit max level, you had to get your Kara keys, and that was already by itself not an easy task. It's sure as hell wasn't something that everyone in the game would have done within a couple days. But it didn't even stop there, you had to farm Kara for a while to build up gear, and then you could do heroics to get various keys. After potentially MONTHS, you were finally strong enough to do Serpentshrine, then a very sharp increase in difficulty to Tempest Keep, then Hyjal and finally Black Temple.

This was no joke, it could easily be a year before you would even be permitted by the game to step foot into Black Temple.

Call it a grind if you want, but that's what keep's people tied to MMOs, is the grind. Always having something to look forward to.

As it stands, all they're doing is just releasing new flashpoints and operations, unlocking it for everyone in the damn game on day 1, and on day 2 it's beaten.

There's no sense of accomplishment. Nothing to look forward to. On top of that, the gear progression is pretty weak, and individual specific pieces aren't as important enough to your success that it requires you to keep going back and farming earlier operations once you can clear it.

the same applies for other WoW expansions, not just BC, but I use BC as an example because it's the progression requirements that I remember most clearly. But it was always there.

Sure why not, because thats what it is. WoW has greatly stepped away from it as well with making its content available more upfront to a larger player base, and faster. It wasn't just long grinds at end game, but just a longer grind to max level as well. Something todays audience is not wanting. You see people saying the game is to short, and then others saying it's just a boring grind. Progression as you put it is nothing more than adding in a ton of artificial grind to slow down players who will keep playing by being addicted to a stick.

With TOR and many others MMOs nowadays, they are trying to get rid of that to allow a larger percentage of the player base to actually get to play parts of the game they are paying for. In WoW, a huge percentage of players never saw most of the end game content. The "grind" kept the hardcore players busy for months before the next chunk came out, while it kept out many other players from actually getting to experience it.

Should they be simply taking a page from the old school by creating these artificial game length with grinds that take forever to keep the hardcore players happy? It seems these folks just migrate from MMO to MMO and never are satisfied... is the old formula even viable for a new game now? You always get a ton of players who hit 50 and then find out whats involved with end game in the old days, who just turn around to more casual endeavors like pvp and alts till they quit.

Though do think only releasing with 2 operations only was not smart, they needed at least another 1 or 2 to start

Zafir

It wasn't even just the attunement though, even the raids themselves took more time to complete as well. I can't really comment on TBC+(Though I presume it's much the same), but in classic WoW you would be doing the dungeons for months before your guild finally managed to defeat the last boss of the dungeon and were able to move onto the next one. In fact, they took so long that for most guilds, you'd still be in the previous dungeon when the next one was released in a patch.

With TOR and many others MMOs nowadays, they are trying to get rid of that to allow a larger percentage of the player base to actually get to play parts of the game they are paying for. In WoW, a huge percentage of players never saw most of the end game content. The "grind" kept the hardcore players busy for months before the next chunk came out, while it kept out many other players from actually getting to experience it.

Going that route is fine, but if that's the case then I don't think a subscription model is the right business model. They are clearly going for the long drawn out subscriptions but on the other hand it's a game that you get bored of very quickly, by design. If they want to go down a model you only pay for the content that you use, then that business model already exists and it's called F2P.

But from a business standpoint a subscription model practically necessitates a grind, as well as artificial time barriers.

CzarTim

Going that route is fine, but if that's the case then I don't think a subscription model is the right business model. They are clearly going for the long drawn out subscriptions but on the other hand it's a game that you get bored of very quickly, by design. If they want to go down a model you only pay for the content that you use, then that business model already exists and it's called F2P.

But from a business standpoint a subscription model practically necessitates a grind, as well as artificial time barriers.
As long as they add a good amount of content every 2-3 months, it's fine.

Heysoos

Soa is still bugged as fuck. Constantly missing tiles, his throws randomly killing people when going from P2 to P3, and it seems he just jumps around from player to player in P3.

Giolon

My guild killed the first boss of EV HM last night and he was missing his Rakata loot. Two pieces of Exotech something or other dropped (hats?) but no Rakata glove tokens like in previous weeks. CS ticket has been in over 24 hours and nothing so far. :-/

Great Job, Bioware.

Mairu

Yeah :-(

I think Soa & some of the Karagga bosses have interesting mechanics, but the overall difficulty is too low

TheYanger

Think it's time to put my sub out to pasture. Fun enough levelling experience/storylines are fun, but the basic gameplay is just not there and there's nothing compelling to do once you get 50 :/ kind of sad.

Dina

I unsubbed as well. Leveled two characters, did all the HM dungeons, PvP till full Champion. I'm done with everything besides raiding and I won't do that.

Kem0sabe

Just canceled my subscription... :(

After leveling a character to 50 and another to 27, i realized that this is just another themepark mmo that will offer me nothing at 50 beyond grinding warzones or hard modes...

Edit: Funny that on the cancel subscription page, the little droid that´s there to convince you to stay has no answer when you choose: "I did not enjoy the Flashpoints", that just goes to show that bioware doesnt believe that theres anything to their game but flashpoints... :D

Aedile

I picked up SWTOR for the 'single player' content after being really impressed by several of the stories during beta--only to take an obscene number of hours to confirm on live that most of them fall off a cliff after Chapter 1. Unsubbed, but still feel I got sufficient value. Would've preferred KotOR3... unless it was like the Jedi Knight story. It would have been interesting to see if they'd gone further with the individual story-based approach, rather than patching it up with the usual MMO clichés. But then I guess there'd be no reason for it to require a sub.

It'll be ineresting to see in a few months if a subscription-based game targeted entirely at the casual demographic will be successful. You'd think so: casual players presumably account for the vast majority of subs in any MMO, but don't even casual players look forward to having something potentially insurmountable ahead of them, even if they'll never actually get to it? Will people who only play the game for a few hours a week want to pay for a sub? I always thought the ever-ascending-ladder factor was part of the appeal of MMOs, rather than a mark against them, but maybe I'm wrong. (Full disclosure: the pre-BC WoW HWL grind was the most fun I ever had playing MMOs.)

TheYanger

I picked up SWTOR for the 'single player' content after being really impressed by several of the stories during beta--only to take an obscene number of hours to confirm on live that most of them fall off a cliff after Chapter 1. Unsubbed, but still feel I got sufficient value. Would've preferred KotOR3... unless it was like the Jedi Knight story. It would have been interesting to see if they'd gone further with the individual story-based approach, rather than patching it up with the usual MMO clichés. But then I guess there'd be no reason for it to require a sub.

It'll be ineresting to see in a few months if a subscription-based game targeted entirely at the casual demographic will be successful. You'd think so: casual players presumably account for the vast majority of subs in any MMO, but don't even casual players look forward to having something potentially insurmountable ahead of them, even if they'll never actually get to it? Will people who only play the game for a few hours a week want to pay for a sub? I always thought the ever-ascending-ladder factor was part of the appeal of MMOs, rather than a mark against them, but maybe I'm wrong. (Full disclosure: the pre-BC WoW HWL grind was the most fun I ever had playing MMOs.)

I think most hardcore players would say yes, most casual players would CLAIM no but then they get bored and quit when they can achieve everything, and most developers stupidly listen to the 'larger' audience. You need a carrot in these games to keep subs.

I should note, as much as people think I'm a wow fanboy sometimes here, blizz has failed at this horribly for the last couple years as well.

My guild killed the first boss of EV HM last night and he was missing his Rakata loot. Two pieces of Exotech something or other dropped (hats?) but no Rakata glove tokens like in previous weeks. CS ticket has been in over 24 hours and nothing so far. :-/

Great Job, Bioware.

He dropped gloves for my guild last night, did you have master looter on or anything?

People do need to learn how to read tho before needing/greeding/passing, rakata offhand saber dropped last night, the marauder in our group passed thinking it was a main hand, lots of cursing ensued after someone mentioned it to him later.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I think most hardcore players would say yes, most casual players would CLAIM no but then they get bored and quit when they can achieve everything, and most developers stupidly listen to the 'larger' audience. You need a carrot in these games to keep subs.

I should note, as much as people think I'm a wow fanboy sometimes here, blizz has failed at this horribly for the last couple years as well.

When it comes down to it you keep playing X MMO because the good outweighs the bad. There's a lot of stuff to bitch about wow.

I rather be paying to get actual content and updates, and not a F2P system which almost always entails paying for the actual content, which comes infrequently. I rather see new content and features on a monthly or every 2-3 months than a little content that I will have to pay for in about 6 months of longer, and a ton of microtransactions for cosmetics.

They should make things harder and some content that will take more work to do down the line, but rather not have just a bunch of artificial time sinks placed in front of me to keep me logging in.

Miletius

The way they've divided up content is ripe for a FTP system, so if they ever decide to go that route the relaunch would be smooth anyways.

markatisu

The answer for me is yes its worth it, me and my brother play probably 2-3hrs a night and split that between progressing through our stories and doing flashpoints/space dailies. I don't mind that I have not done it all, I know there is stuff there and I will get to it eventually.

I have been playing since the early access and am only at Lvl 31 on my 1st Trooper, I figure after Act I I might try the Empire and then after that maybe back to Republic as a Smuggler. With the additions they seem to be indicating in Patch 1.2-1.5 there will be more than enough content to keep a slowass like me subbed.

I don't mind the addition of Flashpoints as more content, as long as they are the more story driven ones instead of just a series of goals that serve no real interesting purpose.

Its just too bad we will never know if there is more of me or more of the core blast it to 50 players, I mean I guess there is if the system goes to F2P like STO and DCO lol

Blitzzz

Get ready to laugh.

Hold shift and drag the item a little. A split-item window will pop up. Choose how many you want to sell and put it in the window.

Be careful here, because by doing this it will also add the item to the chat window. There's no way around this. When you see peole spamming stuff like [Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron][Mandalorian Iron] in /1, it's because of this idiotic bug.

shift right click, drag, won't link it to chat

CzarTim

Actually, I'm pretty sure it did.

I just hit 41. Should I start thinking about acquiring PVP gear?

If you mean the level 40 gear, if you didn't get it by forty it's best to just continue questing for gear unless you want to take a break for PVP (I did that at one point too).

If you mean level 50 pvp gear, the most you can do pre-50 is buy 2 champion bags (one for your bank and one for your inventory. You can also buy as many Merch coms as you can.

If you mean the level 40 gear, if you didn't get it by forty it's best to just continue questing for gear unless you want to take a break for PVP (I did that at one point too).

If you mean level 50 pvp gear, the most you can do pre-50 is buy 2 champion bags (one for your bank and one for your inventory. You can also buy as many Merch coms as you can.

You can't buy 2 champion bags anymore, only 1 and then save up 1000 merc and warzone commendations. At least thats how it was for my marauder about a month ago when I tried to buy another with one in the bank.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Yeah, but what you seem to be calling a positive MANY people complained about during those TBC days. There's just no way to please everyone. Also, it's not really fair to compare TBC to TOR in anyway, because TBC was released YEARS after WoW originally launched. TOR is still finding its way. For some people, they'll cancel and wait for TOR to find its way or just give up on it altogether. I'm still having a great time with TOR and am approaching level 50 on my alt, but as soon as GW2 is released, the ride is over :)

eznark

Banned

Honestly, I have no idea what I mean. Just caught some people talking about it in guild chat last night and was curious! I'd like to be able to participate in raids Illum and stuff when I hit 50, just trying to be prepared.

Top Bottom